Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
Not sure why so many people think the “right thing” for Apple to do is anything other than increase profits. Apple is a for-profit business, not a church, charity or government institution. I haven’t read their charter, but I’m pretty sure it’s official mission isn’t to effect moral change.

China’s human rights record is abhorrent, but we don’t live in a corporatocracy (at least not yet, thank goodness). The failure here is on the part of the organization responsible for taking action - the US government. Apple is simply staying in their lane and doing what they think is best for the bottom line.

Reactions: GreginNJ

niun

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
You don't see a difference between how the United States treats its citizens vs China?
Not wanting to go down this path but I'm sure the poster was not comparing the US treatment of its own citizens (although I'm sure many sections of society would question how well they are treated compared to others), to China.
What he did post though was kinda direct comparison to what Apple is doing. US claiming the moral high ground and a beacon for the entire world when behind the scenes it's up to its eyeballs in dirt and has been since it's birth.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Not sure why so many people think the “right thing” for Apple to do is anything other than increase profits. Apple is a for-profit business, not a church, charity or government institution. I haven’t read their charter, but I’m pretty sure it’s official mission isn’t to effect moral change.

China’s human rights record is abhorrent, but we don’t live in a corporatocracy (at least not yet, thank goodness). The failure here is on the part of the organization responsible for taking action - the US government. Apple is simply staying in their lane and doing what they think is best for the bottom line.

"People come first. In everything we do.

We care deeply about the people who build our products, and the planet we all share. So we hold ourselves and our suppliers to the highest standards to ensure everyone is treated with dignity and respect."

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Who says they're even working on an exit strategy? I haven't seen anything other than promises to build the Mac Pro (an insignificant product in terms of volume) in the US, and then backtracking on it

[automerge]1570995885[/automerge]
What exit strategy? Why give them the benefit of the doubt in such a way with zero proof? Because there’s plenty of proof the to the contrary. And yes. Leaving is better. Because maybe then it’ll give the Chinese populace a reason to question their tyrannical government. Right now they all get their shiny iPhones and are pacified.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Not wanting to go down this path but I'm sure the poster was not comparing the US treatment of its own citizens (although I'm sure many sections of society would question how well they are treated compared to others), to China.
What he did post though was kinda direct comparison to what Apple is doing. US claiming the moral high ground and a beacon for the entire world when behind the scenes it's up to its eyeballs in dirt and has been since it's birth.

Is the US squeaky clean ? Of course not. But I disagree the United States government is murdering, persecuting and silencing it’s citizens the same way China is. The facts don’t bare that out.

By the way, if there’s such parity, here: why is the United States not demanding Chinese citizens never criticize it ?

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Chinese operatives now on Mac Rumor forums.

What a world.?

Say whatever you want. You will never understand why Chinese people love their country and their government.

I was in theater last week for a movie called My People, My Country. Feel free to Google this movie. The whole theater hall are packed with people. We are cheering for our country and achievement. We celebrate our success and we standby with our government.

You guys will never understood the humiliation we felt last century and you will never understood why we cherish our success.

niun

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Is the US squeaky clean ? Of course not. But I disagree the United States government is murdering, persecuting and silencing it’s citizens the same way China is. The facts don’t bare that out.

By the way, if there’s such parity, here: why is the United States not demanding Chinese citizens never criticize it ?
Again. I don't remember anyone mentioning citizens. Not sure where that came from.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Kind of sad and ironic that in their desperate need for power, money and pride, China is forever staining itself in the eyes of the world...

They are behaving like a child in kindergarten who wants ALL yhe toys. It’s embarassing...

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
"They have to if they want to play in that market. And they all want to play in that market. Who wouldn't?"

Who wouldn’t? People with human decency that put values above money. **** this sellout, **** corporate greed, and **** the Chinese government.
keep your Tegridy!

Lol, ok.... name the companies that you buy your vehicles from that refuse to do business in China b/c they’re on your same phony moral high-horse. Cool... cool; now name the companies that you buy your electronics from that won’t do business in China.... anything else as well: cleaning products, clothing & shoes, etc. Just make me a list please of all the “safe” companies to buy everything from, if I want to be just like you & have “human decency”.

*crickets chirping*

Oh.... I get it. You were just talking out of your backside and PRETENDING to be in some way morally superior, but indeed you use the exact same products from the exact same companies as everyone else in America- companies that also do business in China, and your strongly worded reprimand of everyone else was truly meaningless.
Gotcha.

Reactions: GreginNJ and gugy

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I started a thread about this but how long will apple leave an app in the China iOS store I completely back doors the iPhone?

(Android has it too, to be fair)

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Kind of sad and ironic that in their desperate need for power, money and pride, China is forever staining itself in the eyes of the world...

They are behaving like a child in kindergarten who wants ALL yhe toys. It’s embarassing...

It is kind sad where USA trying to maintain its power at all cost and trying to paint anyone challenges United States as evil. United States has killed more people than any other countries, causing more chaos around the world than any other country.

United States is in its core desperate to maintain its world police status and run by the corrupted military companies.

It is ironic that you guys think China wants more power. Tell me which country we invaded? Which country we bombed? which country we sabotaged? Which country we invaded than left behind.

It is funny where you guys accusing China. Please reflect yourself before pointing your finger. Nobody take you guys seriously anymore.

If you are accusing China changing current world order, then so be it. Why isn’t China allowed to challenge current world order?

After all, the root of all these hate toward China is arrogance and deeply superiority you guys feel toward China and Chinese. You guys cannot allow non-white country challenge world order build by white dude. You guys are trying to put superiority with your system and demoralized other system.

• Haha
Reactions: surfacewound

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Say whatever you want. You will never understand why Chinese people love their country and their government.

I was in theater last week for a movie called My People, My Country. Feel free to Google this movie. The whole theater hall are packed with people. We are cheering for our country and achievement. We celebrate our success and we standby with our government.

You guys will never understood the humiliation we felt last century and you will never understood why we cherish our success.
Brainwashed people love their government? Let me notify the nazis and Japanese that had the same problem and are way better off now than ever.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada

Have you not remember red scare that was not terribly long before? How many so called communists where being put behind bar?

Have you not remember Japanese concentration camp during the world war?

Have you not noticing how US CBP officer treating family and child at border crossing?

You guys are such hypocrites. US and west doesn’t have such high moral ground. You guys are dirty as well.
[automerge]1570998726[/automerge]
Brainwashed people love their government? Let me notify the nazis and Japanese that had the same problem and are way better off now than ever.

Are you able to say the same thing as southern white dude who flag confederation flag as well or are you able to say the same thing to American waving American flag all over the place?

• Haha
Reactions: surfacewound

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Nobody should be shocked from this news. Corporate greed is always been around, but Apple's greed, that's a whole new world. I feel sad for anyone that buys Apple under the belief this is the most ethical company. They have never stood for human rights, in fact, they only stand for nothing but all mighty $, at any cost. Now they want to silence voices that dare speak out against communist government, despicable.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Nobody should be shocked from this news. Corporate greed is always been around, but Apple's greed, that's a whole new world. I feel sad for anyone that buys Apple under the belief this is the most ethical company. They have never stood for human rights, in fact, they only stand for nothing but all mighty $, at any cost. Now they want to silence voices that dare speak out against communist government, despicable.

Feel free not buy Apple products or using Apple services. If you have such high moral ground, choose a company to deal with China. Simple right?

Look at other way. If you wish all the company to stop doing business with China, are you not trying to deny Chinese citizen access to Apple’s product and services?

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Why do countries want to show other countries in bad light? I remember as kid I watched so many Hollywood movies showing Russia in bad light. Problem is: kids who grow watching these movies get their brains wired to think that way, often for life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.