Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Shame. Apple stands up to the US government and agencies by refusing to create back doors into iOS. But they seem scared of China. I lost major respect for Apple when I read what they’ve done by pulling the apps. Poor Chinese people smh.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
I want to pose a serious question: Is Apple apply pressure to MacRumors to minimise these stories about China?

Why am I suspicious? I first went to the MacRumors site on my iPhone, and saw this present article “Apple Reportedly Told Apple TV+ Show Creators to Avoid Angering China”. That article as the lead article. To post a comment, I went to the MacRumors site on my Mac, and this article is nowhere on the Frontpage of the MR site. I had to go to the Forums under the religious and political thread to find it.

Is Apple applying to blogging sites to cut out the anti-China reporting?

I went the macworld.co.uk and did a search for the word China. Not a peep. Searched for Hong Kong. Not a peep.

Cultofmac website is reporting these China/HK stories.

AppleInsider reporting China and HK stories.

MDF314159265

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Temecula, CA
I want to pose a serious question: Is Apple apply pressure to MacRumors to minimise these stories about China?

Why? I first went to the MacRumors site on my iPhone, and saw this present article as the lead article. It's easier to reply using my Mac, so I went to the MacRumors site on my Mac, and this article is nowhere on the Frontpage of the MR site. I had to go to the Forums under the religious and political thread to find it.

What pressure is Apple applying to blogging sites to cut out the anti-China reporting?

I went the macworld.co.uk and did a search for the word China. Not a peep. Searched for Hong Kong. Not a peep.

Cultofmac website is reporting these China/HK stories.

AppleInsider reporting China and HK stories.

macrumors displays differently on phone vs. computer.
On your phone, scroll to the bottom of the macrumors homepage and turn off the “mobile site” option. It’ll look just like it does on your Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreginNJ

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
What exit strategy? Why give them the benefit of the doubt in such a way with zero proof? Because there’s plenty of proof the to the contrary. And yes. Leaving is better. Because maybe then it’ll give the Chinese populace a reason to question their tyrannical government. Right now they all get their shiny iPhones and are pacified.
China is actually going through a massive campaign about buying Chinese goods. They are trying to change public opinion that having iPhones or other items shouldn’t be viewed as status symbols, but rather looked down upon for not supporting Chinese companies.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I can't condemn Apple for doing business with China because I buy Apple/Chinese products.

But I never want to hear Tim lecture us on any social issue ever again.
[automerge]1570987984[/automerge]
I wouldn’t agree with the underlying reasoning or politics, but this is the only logical decision a company would make if they are focused on revenue. I’m not sure how people here expect Apple to be a serious company and make investors happy while also somehow doing their own thing/making bad business decisions.

It's the hypocrisy people have the issue with.

And by the way, there are other non-totalitarian countries that supply comparatively cheap labor.

Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I wouldn’t agree with the underlying reasoning or politics, but this is the only logical decision a company would make if they are focused on revenue. I’m not sure how people here expect Apple to be a serious company and make investors happy while also somehow doing their own thing/making bad business decisions.

Remember that apple is a for profit company when apple says throttling iPhones was for the benefit of users. By throttling, they didn't have to recall defective batteries.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
"They have to if they want to play in that market. And they all want to play in that market. Who wouldn't?"

Who wouldn’t? People with human decency that put values above money. **** this sellout, **** corporate greed, and **** the Chinese government.
keep your Tegridy!

I thought the corporation is all about maximizing shareholders value.

Now tell me, are you suggesting corporations should do something would destroy shareholders value?

People here are hypocrites. When Apple do something screwing customer, you guys all shouting out corporation ultimate goal is maximizing shareholders value. When it is come to China, you guys all yelling Apple should respect human decency and screw shareholders
[automerge]1570988852[/automerge]
Every time Apple pacifies the Chinese communists you realize all the other social status stuff Apple do is finely polished PR but in reality is pure BS. Cook is nothing more than a corporate suit making sure he maximizes shareholder value.
[automerge]1570975240[/automerge]

But for Apple they Think Different. Or are the Apple PR machine just coating it with sugar water?

Are you suggesting Tim Cook did wrong thing for maximizing shareholder value?

Reactions: GreginNJ and xushi

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Morally corrupt CEO is cowering to a morally corrupt government.

Are you suggesting Apple should not respect China when do business with China?

Does Apple need respect US law when doing business in United States?

And are you suggesting US is somehow morally superior than China? Who is the one go around bombing civilians in Middle East? Who is the one screwing everyone in Middle East? Who is one go around trying to overturn other government? United State is just as crappy as China. No one is better than other.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I thought the corporation is all about maximizing shareholders value.

Now tell me, are you suggesting corporations should do something would destroy shareholders value?

People here are hypocrites. When Apple do something screwing customer, you guys all shouting out corporation ultimate goal is maximizing shareholders value. When it is come to China, you guys all yelling Apple should respect human decency and screw shareholders
[automerge]1570988852[/automerge]

Are you suggesting Tim Cook did wrong thing for maximizing shareholder value?

He did wrong by marketing Apple as a platform for social justice.

Other tech companies haven't done that.
[automerge]1570989483[/automerge]
And are you suggesting US is somehow morally superior than China? Who is the one go around bombing civilians in Middle East? Who is the one screwing everyone in Middle East? Who is one go around trying to overturn other government? United State is just as crappy as China. No one is better than other.

Hoo boy.

You don't see a difference between how the United States treats its citizens vs China?

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
He did wrong by marketing Apple as a platform for social justice.

Other tech companies haven't done that.
[automerge]1570989483[/automerge]

Hoo boy.

You don't see a difference between how the United States treats its citizens vs China?

Be honest, I don’t. How many black people were being arrest just became of being black? How many minorities are in disadvantages because of law are being favorable for rich? How is American government treating its aboriginals?

Are you honest suggesting US is fair and justing society? Are you suggesting US government has any respect to human rights when it went bombing other countries?

• Wow

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
This is not just an Apple issue but every single corporation, individual and business in America that has ties to China has this same dilemma.

Freedom or the almighty Dollars?

We just recently saw this issue with Nike and the NBA.

Finally, all Americans enjoy the benefits of cheaper goods due to the Chinese autocratic repressive system. I wonder if we are ready to give that up in order stand for freedom and equality.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreginNJ and Huck

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Be honest, I don’t. How many black people were being arrest just became of being black? How many minorities are in disadvantages because of law are being favorable for rich? How is American government treating its aboriginals?

Are you honest suggesting US is fair and justing society? Are you suggesting US government has any respect to human rights when it went bombing other countries?

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Let's put it this way.

Would a Muslim think there's no difference between living in Los Angeles vs living in Xinjiang? Would they agree with you there's essentially no difference between the two?

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
You're comparing apples to oranges.

Let's put it this way.

Would a Muslim think there's no difference between living in Los Angeles vs living in Xinjiang? Would they agree with you there's essentially no difference between the two?

Yes. There is no difference. In fact, Muslim in China enjoying better life standard than anytime before.

With Trump in the White House, Muslim in US is facing more difficult.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Stop typing. Take a half hour and research Xinjiang "Re-Reducation" camps, Uyghur Muslims and organ harvesting.

Then come back, and see if you still want to defend the idea a Muslim would rather be living in Xinjiang over Los Angeles.

Google search? Please do some research. After all, there are lots of fake news in western media. Have you being to Xinjiang? I have been. It is lot different than what you found in internet.
[automerge]1570992835[/automerge]
Chinese government scum.

Chinese government is the best. We Chinese are all supportive for the government!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.