Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dschwab

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2004
Re: New web Site?

Originally posted by TranceClubMusic
Its the 19th and nothing has changed.
I bet nothing on the 20th or this month PERIOD. :eek:

It's a little early to make that call.
a) it's barely the start of business on the 19th, and not even that late at Apple HQ
b) the speculation was that the changes would be happening afterhours in preparation for the 20th
c) if the above is true, we wouldn't see any changes happen to the website until the 20th as it takes only a few minutes to put a new page on a site

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002

We should not be pessimistic just yet, TranceClubMusic! If the rumor is correct the changes to the Apple Stores will be made after closing today. So we won't know what it all means for another 21 hours from now. It take Steve at his word, "this is the 20th Anniversary of Mac and there is alot more to come." Just don't see him letting this momentous occasion pass with something awesome. History says that Steve likes to release major items on a Tuesday.

Please please be patient!
;)

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by ronntaylor
Nearly 15 years ago I went to the computer labs at Hunter College and all the Windoze-based PCs were occupied with at least a 30 minute waiting period. I reluctantly went to the Mac lab and have been in love with Apple ever since. I regret any time I have to use anything but a Mac. Even when my better half got a "top of the line" Windoze-based PC, I shook my head. They just are not intuitive and require so many extra steps. (Not to mention that those boxes are usually sooo fugly!)

I know it's off-topic, but I fiond your post interesting based on my experiences.

When I was in undergrad (89-92) at Univ. of Mich, we had what was known as "The Fishbowl," which was (at the time) the nation's largest college computing center. The breakdown was something like 9:1 mac:ibm. When exam time rolled around, the wait time for Macs ran into the hours, despite the proponderence of those machines. I never once, in all my time there, had to wait for a PC. How times have changed.

When I arrived at college, all my experience was on Apples (either Apple II or Mac), but my father forced me to buy a PC rather than a Mac for schoolwork. (A wise call, actually.) Becoming adept at Windows 2.0 and the Wintel world at that early time gave me some valuable survival skills, since that's all I've ever been given to use professionally. (Aside from some total crap Wangs while I was a federal employee). It makes my time at home, with my Macs, even more relaxing.

If I had to do WORK on a Mac, I might not be so favorably disposed to them.

REGARDLESS, I'd like to see some updates at the Apple Store. Starting with the hopeless members of the floor staff. Send them back to The Buckle.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
I took a quick peek inside a local Apple Store this afternoon.

When no one was looking I slipped into the back room. They had giant posters ready to be displayed. I don't know what most of them said, but the biggest one read "Reintroducing LISA!"

Guess that ends any hope of any G5 speedbumps for a while.

breakaway1029

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2003
HOLY $H1T!. Lisa, from what I have read, was pretty much the first affordable apple mac with a gui. Seems like a new iMac to me, or a whole new line of affordable machines. Maybe renaming eMac to LISA? Whatever it is, this seems like something that is gonna be ***** huge!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by numediaman
When no one was looking I slipped into the back room. They had giant posters ready to be displayed. I don't know what most of them said, but the biggest one read "Reintroducing LISA!"

I'll be surprised about this....the fact that they didn't catch you and the fact that they were just sitting out for you to see.

We'll know tomorrow....

D

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston

I am assuming this is a joke.
Is it?

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003

You're hosed, man. :cool:

As I reported in another thread, Small Dog now has 71 units of the lower priced 1.8 IN STOCK. (oops, 70, looks like one just sold)

http://www.smalldog.com/category/x/x/Power+Macintosh/g5+minitower/wag100/wag10000/

G5/1.8GHz 512/160/SuperDrive/GeForce 5200/56k = $1799

So, since Apple DOES NOT DISCOUNT NEW UNITS, how would you explain double the ram, double the HD, and 12% faster processer than the 1.6 that's available today, for the same price?

Only answer - NEW G5's.....

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Did I say Lisa?

Oops, I meant Diesel. Apple introduces the first line of diesel powered Macs -- thereby dodging certain clean air standards in California (you no longer will have to take your Mac in every three years to get smog checked).

Listen guys, if we are to get speed bumps tomorrow (which I doubt) I expect to learn about it through a quiet little press release. Sadl, I suspect any store redesigns are being installed to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Mac, not for any blow-out new products. (I hope I'm wrong, of course.)

EDIT: Does Trance work for Ashcroft? -- he wants me banned.

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Did I say Lisa?

Oops, I meant Diesel. Apple introduces the first line of diesel powered Macs -- thereby dodging certain clean air standards in California (you no longer will have to take your Mac in every three years to get smog checked).

Listen guys, if we are to get speed bumps tomorrow (which I doubt) I expect to learn about it through a quiet little press release. Sadl, I suspect any store redesigns are being installed to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Mac, not for any blow-out new products. (I hope I'm wrong, of course.)

Dude, How can you mistake "LISA" for "DIESEL" - and it this is a cute joke I hope you get BANNED.

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Re: Re: New web Site?

Originally posted by CalfCanuck
You're hosed, man. :cool:

As I reported in another thread, Small Dog now has 71 units of the lower priced 1.8 IN STOCK. (oops, 70, looks like one just sold)

http://www.smalldog.com/category/x/x/Power+Macintosh/g5+minitower/wag100/wag10000/

G5/1.8GHz 512/160/SuperDrive/GeForce 5200/56k = $1799

So, since Apple DOES NOT DISCOUNT NEW UNITS, how would you explain double the ram, double the HD, and 12% faster processer than the 1.6 that's available today, for the same price?

Only answer - NEW G5's.....

Old news - every online retailer is doing this. Please dont say this is the 20th Anniversary Surprise:rolleyes:

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
Did I say Lisa?

EDIT: Does Trance work for Ashcroft? -- he wants me banned.

For a second, I was happy. Then I realised I was the victem of a cruel joke. I second the banning.

Centurion

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2004
New mac tomorrow I bet....

“20/20” the perfect vision. A 20th anniversary mac released on the 20th.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Re: Re: Re: New web Site?

Old news - every online retailer is doing this. Please dont say this is the 20th Anniversary Surprise:rolleyes:
This thread is about the fact that the Apple store will change on Jan 20, not that the 20th Anniversary Mac will come out tomorrow.

"Sources familiar with Apple Retail's Graphics and Visuals plans have indicated that January 19 or 20 will bring an updated look to at least some of the graphics in the U.S. retail stores and the possibility of new products to go along with these visual changes."

You say it won't happen (for what reason????)

So I support the rumor, buy showing that:

1. There is currently an offical Apple retailer, shipping units which it has today in stock, that are significantly discounted from the Jan. 19 retail price.

2. Note that Apple DOES NOT allow official retailers to discount current models.

3. Then ask you how you can account for these discounted priced units, and if there is any other expanation than new units on the Apple web site tomorrow?

And you roll YOUR eyes?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Originally posted by breakaway1029
HOLY $H1T!. Lisa, from what I have read, was pretty much the first affordable apple mac with a gui. Seems like a new iMac to me, or a whole new line of affordable machines. Maybe renaming eMac to LISA? Whatever it is, this seems like something that is gonna be ***** huge!

Okay, the Lisa thing was obviously a joke. Come on... Besides, this is the 20th anniversary of the Macintosh, not the Lisa. (They are two distinctly separate product lines!)

And the Lisa was by NOBODYS measure affordable. It came out a year before the Macintosh for $10,000. It had a 5MHz processor, 1MB of RAM, two 870kB disk drives (with an optional 5 or 10MB hard drive,) and a bigger screen. The Macintosh, a year later, had an 8MHz processor, 128kB of RAM, a single 400kB disk drive, and a smaller screen. The Macintosh was $2500 at introduction.

The Macintosh was a cheaper, lesser computer. But it was 'revolutionary' because it was cheaper. (At the same time, the Lisa was changed so that it had a single Mac-compatible 400kB drive, dropped in price, and re-named the Lisa 2. Later still, the Lisa added Macintosh compatibility (in the form of the 'MacWorks' OS,) and was renamed to the Macintosh XL.) The Lisa originally ran 'Lisa OS', the Macintosh ran the 'Macintosh System'. They were different, and incompatible. Even though they looked and acted similar. (Lisa OS was written in C, and was slow and a memory hog. Macintosh System was written in assembly, and fast and didn't require much memory, which was good considering the Macintosh only had 1/8 as much RAM as the Lisa.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
What if on the 20th, they introduced the 20th anniversary mac, with a 20 inch screen....hehe

I expect to see minor speed bumps and *maybe* a 20th anniv edition powermac.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Re: Re: Re: Re: New web Site?

So I support the rumor, buy showing that:

1. There is currently an offical Apple retailer, shipping units which it has today in stock, that are significantly discounted from the Jan. 19 retail price.

2. Note that Apple DOES NOT allow official retailers to discount current models.

3. Then ask you how you can account for these discounted priced units, and if there is any other expanation than new units on the Apple web site tomorrow?

And you roll YOUR eyes?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Apple isn't selling new 1.8GHz single-processor G5s so your whole argument has no basis. In other words, the single 1.8 G5 is not a current model, so other retailers' discounts don't prove anything.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New web Site?

Originally posted by Rod Rod
Apple isn't selling new 1.8GHz single-processor G5s so your whole argument has no basis. In other words, the single 1.8 G5 is not a current model, so other retailers' discounts don't prove anything.
You're exactly right that this IS NOT A CURRENT MODEL, but that only proves my point.

WOW. I sure as hell wouldn't want to debug the code hammered out by this group, given the serious lack of logic in some of these responses.

Let's take this a little slower.

The question in this thread is will the Apple Store update on Jan. 20, and relatedly, when will Apple update it's current G5 models - 1.6, D1.8, D2.0.

Some have expressed doubt that it will happen this month. I (and others) have cited the fact that starting tomorrow Apple begins dumping NEW (not reconditioned) units models, in configurations not currently available, THAT SPEC OUT BETTER THAN WHAT IS ON THEIR WEB SITE AS OF JAN.19.

So, since Apple does not allow retailers to discount their current line there are ONLY 2 possibilities.

1. Apple will release new G5's on Jan. 20, and will begin moving their over-stocked and discontinued CPUs on the same date through the discount mail-order / web site retailers.

2. Apple decided to dump NEW, full warranty machines to these discounters on Jan. 20 that have more RAM, TWICE the HD space, and a FASTER PROCESSOR than their own current models without upgrading their own product line. They have decided on this new strategy, which has never happened before in the history of Apple, solely for the purpose of cannibalizing their own web site sales.

So if my "whole argument has no basis", I take it you are a proponent of proposition #2?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New web Site?

I (and others) have cited the fact that starting tomorrow Apple begins dumping NEW (not reconditioned) units models, in configurations not currently available, THAT SPEC OUT BETTER THAN WHAT IS ON THEIR WEB SITE AS OF JAN.19.

what fact, and where? you've provided no such fact. all we have is optimistic speculation, and yes this is a rumors site and that's fair, but don't call it fact.

They have decided on this new strategy, which has never happened before in the history of Apple, solely for the purpose of cannibalizing their own web site sales.

enough already with the cannibalization myth. a Mac sale is a Mac sale. it's not a zero sum game.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I'm not hold my breath for anything magnificent.

Anyway you think is dozens of Apple Stores had posters of whatever, ONE guy would leak the story.

I mean come on.

A Small G5 change?

Sure?

A new product?

ehh.

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida

You took the words right out of my mouth. Discounts on SP 1.8 mean nothing..........:D

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New web Site?

You're exactly right that this IS NOT A CURRENT MODEL, but that only proves my point.

WOW. I sure as hell wouldn't want to debug the code hammered out by this group, given the serious lack of logic in some of these responses.

Let's take this a little slower.

The question in this thread is will the Apple Store update on Jan. 20, and relatedly, when will Apple update it's current G5 models - 1.6, D1.8, D2.0.

Some have expressed doubt that it will happen this month. I (and others) have cited the fact that starting tomorrow Apple begins dumping NEW (not reconditioned) units models, in configurations not currently available, THAT SPEC OUT BETTER THAN WHAT IS ON THEIR WEB SITE AS OF JAN.19.

So, since Apple does not allow retailers to discount their current line there are ONLY 2 possibilities.

1. Apple will release new G5's on Jan. 20, and will begin moving their over-stocked and discontinued CPUs on the same date through the discount mail-order / web site retailers.

2. Apple decided to dump NEW, full warranty machines to these discounters on Jan. 20 that have more RAM, TWICE the HD space, and a FASTER PROCESSOR than their own current models without upgrading their own product line. They have decided on this new strategy, which has never happened before in the history of Apple, solely for the purpose of cannibalizing their own web site sales.

So if my "whole argument has no basis", I take it you are a proponent of proposition #2?

OK.......I'm gonna take this really really slow (like hours) It's 9:30PM EST January 19 - I bet on the 20 - Your #1 will be tossed aside - cause its been happening for weeks - #2 wont happen PERIOD.
We all have our opinions and this is a great forum to express ourselves - lets just say when I wake up in the morning tomorrow - I can bet you - I will HAVE to say.... I told you so
:rolleyes:

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida

Woooooooot!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.