Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today informed developers that "health pass" apps can only be submitted by developers that are working with recognized public health authorities.

apple-developer-banner.jpeg

A "health pass" app is classified as an app that generates a pass that's used to enter buildings and access in-person services based on testing and vaccination records.

Apple says that to make sure these apps are responsibly handling sensitive data and providing reliable functionality, they're being limited to developers work with test kit manufacturers, laboratories, and healthcare providers.
With the recent release of COVID-19 vaccines, we've seen an increase in apps that generate health passes used to enter buildings and access in-person services based on testing and vaccination records. To ensure these apps responsibly handle sensitive data and provide reliable functionality, they must be submitted by developers working with entities recognized by public health authorities, such as test kit manufacturers, laboratories, or healthcare providers. As with other apps related to COVID-19, we also accept apps submitted directly by government, medical, and other credentialed institutions.
Apple has been restricting COVID 19-related apps since March. Apps providing data on COVID must be submitted by developers working with recognized entities such as government organizations, health-focused NGOs, companies deeply credentialed in health issues, and medical or educational institutions. Apple does not allow COVID 19-themed entertainment or game apps, nor any other app not submitted by a qualified developer.

Article Link: Apple Says COVID 'Health Pass' Apps Are Limited to Developers Working With Public Health Authorities

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Very happy to see Apple getting a head start on this and insuring privacy protections are in place from the get go. Getting tested and vaccinated will generate a Pass in Wallet which will enable others to choose whether to grant you access to their buildings and/or services.

Cue those inevitably complaining about “forced vaccination” in order to access buildings and services like sports, concerts, movie theatres, restaurants, flights and passage into to other countries.

You are perfectly free to choose whether you’re vaccinated but others get to choose whether you get to participate in collective events limited to those who have taken steps to protect themselves and those around them. Don’t want to get vaccinated? You can be “free” at home on the couch.

The only way we’re going to eradicate this virus and return to some semblance of normal is if a large majority of people are vaccinated and those who choose not to are kept isolated from the rest of society.

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
This is good but unfortunately this means that some people may never get this for months or maybe years. Getting close to a year for exposure notifications and most of the world still doesn’t have them. Maybe someone like Epic in the US will do it and can just have one app pull from several systems. There are also health providers without Apple health integration that came out several years ago.

Reactions: jaymc

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This is good but unfortunately this means that some people may never get this for months or maybe years. Getting close to a year for exposure notifications and most of the world still doesn’t have them. Maybe someone like Epic in the US will do it and can just have one app pull from several systems. There are also health providers without Apple health integration that came out several years ago.

The previous administration ignored a national approach to fighting this pandemic. The Biden administration has wasted no time in getting states to work together under a collective framework. However, I wonder if exposure notification is even a priority now that mass vaccination is underway.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
This is very god news. I got vaccinated by Walgreens, so I would hope this can be coordinated. I would think so, as most people will be vaccinated in similar ways.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Very happy to see Apple getting a head start on this and insuring privacy protections are in place from the get go. Getting tested and vaccinated will generate a Pass in Wallet which will enable others to choose whether to grant you access to their buildings and/or services.

Cue those inevitably complaining about “forced vaccination” in order to access buildings and services like sports, concerts, movie theatres, restaurants, flights and passage into to other countries.

You are perfectly free to choose whether you’re vaccinated but others get to choose whether you get to participate in collective events limited to those who have taken steps to protect themselves and those around them. Don’t want to get vaccinated? You can be “free” at home on the couch.

The only way we’re going to eradicate this virus and return to some semblance of normal is if a large majority of people are vaccinated and those who choose not to are kept isolated from the rest of society.
Love to see how you think ramming someone into a corner and forcing it down their throat is the right approach. You are exactly what’s wrong with society and authoritarian governing.

techno96

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009

You are the definition of the problem. By your standard, why can we not get back to normal with people who choose to vaccinate getting vaccinated, and those who don't, don't? Why do you care if someone chooses not to get the protection afforded by a vaccine?

You said "but others get to choose whether you get to participate in collective events limited to those who have taken steps to protect themselves and those around them"

The vaccine, as far as we know, doesn't protect other people, because right now they are saying you can still both get and spread the virus after being vaccinated.

So, if that is true, why do you care if someone else gets it, if they choose not to vaccinate? You are at no more risk if you have it. It literally doesn't effect you at all and yet you want to force your ideals into someones arm and then shun them from society if they don't conform.

Personally, I'm getting the vaccine, but this idea that "oh well you have to get it or else we can't let you in places because muh safety" is gross. The science right now is just that the vaccine will prevent death in most cases, but you still get it and spread it, so the vaccine only helps the individual who gets it, and no one else.

I don't believe that you actually care about the lives so much of the people who don't want to get it that you want to force them into their homes for their own safety, I think you're just a miserable authoritarian who doesn't want to be around anyone who doesn't do what you want them to do.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This is kinda creepy, but definitely necessary. Years ago I would've said this was horrific, but given the absolutely terrible job the world has done at dealing with the pandemic, especially in the US, we have to take these measures. Hopefully it gets phased out in the coming years.

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
You are the definition of the problem. By your standard, why can we not get back to normal with people who choose to vaccinate getting vaccinated, and those who don't, don't? Why do you care if someone chooses not to get the protection afforded by a vaccine?

You said "but others get to choose whether you get to participate in collective events limited to those who have taken steps to protect themselves and those around them"

The vaccine, as far as we know, doesn't protect other people, because right now they are saying you can still both get and spread the virus after being vaccinated.

So, if that is true, why do you care if someone else gets it, if they choose not to vaccinate? You are at no more risk if you have it. It literally doesn't effect you at all and yet you want to force your ideals into someones arm and then shun them from society if they don't conform.

Personally, I'm getting the vaccine, but this idea that "oh well you have to get it or else we can't let you in places because muh safety" is gross. The science right now is just that the vaccine will prevent death in most cases, but you still get it and spread it, so the vaccine only helps the individual who gets it, and no one else.

I don't believe that you actually care about the lives so much of the people who don't want to get it that you want to force them into their homes for their own safety, I think you're just a miserable authoritarian who doesn't want to be around anyone who doesn't do what you want them to do.
This is exactly why you see few actual working medical doctors and nurses excited about this whole thing. You'll see a healthy 20 something in FB proudly showing off their bandaid while those who work in healthcare shake our heads, you're the one who is incredibly unlikely to die from this. Your grandma is the one who would have the most benefit from it. YOU getting the shot does absolutely nothing to help her.

Just a massive mistake after mistake after mistake. You can't get mad at people because many of them genuinely believe they're doing something good, it's just dissapointing to see such wasted money and effort.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014

We don't know if COVID does or does not prevent the spread after being vaccinated.

Will the COVID vaccine prevent me from infecting others?

The answer is, we don't know.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus-resource-center

Until we do, those who don't vaccinate should stay home. There's a chance the vaccine does help prevent the spread which would reduce the chances of the virus mutating.

Last edited:

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Love to see how you think ramming someone into a corner and forcing it down their throat is the right approach. You are exactly what’s wrong with society and authoritarian governing.

Emergency Use Authorization (EAU) is lost on people such as the one you quoted, if one is a skeptic and it does not align with their view you must be the problem.

Reactions: LHMac

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006

I agree, if one wants to get it while having informed consent so be it. If another does not after informed consent, that is their personal choice. Don't understand the hate from either camp, so tribal.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I'm going to assume you use Google and/or Gmail which probably knows what's in your medicine cabinet right at this very moment.
Using Google or Gmail for personal items such as that is just aching to be data harvested. I don't use Google Search and Gmail is limited to spam. I do collect any prescription in person, call or get it delivered with a simple phone call. Your response does come across as patronizing in tone (to me) to the other forum member.

Reactions: Td1970

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
We don't know if COVID does or does not prevent the spread after being vaccinated.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus-resource-center

Until we do, those who don't vaccinate should stay home. There's a chance the vaccine does help prevent the spread which would reduce the chances of the virus mutating.

Correct, a lot of "unknowns" and decisions being made without an end date in sight.

Viruses mutate just like life evolves, nothing unusual about this fact.

Reactions: G37dude80

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
As they should be. Benefits of a walled garden.
If I understand this properly, HealthPass.app is similar to the Wallet.app. The information has to be vetted from a central approved source and the app references that data and stores a local copy. Potential problems exist due to weak links in the system, for example a hacked or user error central system leading to corrupt or erroneous data/results.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
This is exactly why you see few actual working medical doctors and nurses excited about this whole thing. You'll see a healthy 20 something in FB proudly showing off their bandaid while those who work in healthcare shake our heads, you're the one who is incredibly unlikely to die from this. Your grandma is the one who would have the most benefit from it. YOU getting the shot does absolutely nothing to help her.

Just a massive mistake after mistake after mistake. You can't get mad at people because many of them genuinely believe they're doing something good, it's just dissapointing to see such wasted money and effort.
FOMO culture with a dose of trying to be famous or edgy on social media. A shallow mentality to advertise ones decisions.

Reactions: LHMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.