Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Not me… I travel to Europe no less than 6 times per year… living my life. PCR tests for now, vaccine cert when available… freedom!

I find this difficult to believe considering many countries require a negative PCR, 72 hours prior to departure plus 2 weeks quarantine at destination and return, are your trips 14 days plus a few plus the added time upon return. Plus some countries are looking at implementing a hotel stay similar to AUS and NZ.

The cost along with the quarantine period is nonsensical to travel 6 times to Europe unless you reside in an EU nation, an essential worker or other with exception or fail to understand that due to lockdown measures many business’ are on the verge of collapse or already closed and with restrictions makes the joy of travelling moot.

Reactions: beastforum

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
What an absolute load of horse dung you are talking! How many hospitals have had to reroute A&E admissions due to being over run by Wuhan Flu/SARS-CoV-2 cases? In the UK, the Nightingale Hospitals were so grossly under-utilised, they were bloody mothballed. In fairness, I’ve also read there were staffing issues but hospitals in the UK coped. We were asked nearly a year ago for 3 weeks to flatten the curve! Here we are a year later...

Are you stuck in your bubble? Sure you may be right that ambulances didn't reroute, but that's likely because all other hospitals nearby were at capacity too.

Tell me again how hospitals are underutilized.

May I ask what do you do at the moment? Do you go outside now, or have you stayed in your bedroom/house the whole time for fear of spreading Wuhan Flu/SARS-CoV-2, or whatever else? If you are going out now, surely you’re risking stressing the hospital too? Honestly, your arguments sound like you’re clutching at straws...

I work from home remotely. I've only been out to pick up food and groceries. Target has a nice curbside trunk load service so I don't even have to be close to anyone.

Lastly, as viruses mutate, they generally become less deadly

No. Remember ebola mutating?

But new research suggests another impetus: The virus may have evolved a new weapon against its human hosts. In studies published on Thursday in the journal Cell, two teams of scientists report that a genetic mutation may have made Ebola more deadly by improving the virus’s ability to enter human cells.

The researchers do not yet understand exactly how it works, but several lines of evidence suggest it helped expand the scope of the epidemic. One alarming finding: Patients infected with the mutated version of Ebola were significantly more likely to die.

Talk about "an absolute load of horse dung". ?‍♂️

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
I find this difficult to believe considering many countries require a negative PCR, 72 hours prior to departure plus 2 weeks quarantine at destination and return, are your trips 14 days plus a few plus the added time upon return. Plus some countries are looking at implementing a hotel stay similar to AUS and NZ.

The cost along with the quarantine period is nonsensical to travel 6 times to Europe unless you reside in an EU nation, an essential worker or other with exception or fail to understand that due to lockdown measures many business’ are on the verge of collapse or already closed and with restrictions makes the joy of travelling moot.
Well.. since I have a home there, there is no real time loss to quarantine. I test two days before leaving, test within 72 hours of arrival and test after 5 days under the test to release scheme. Even with the very latest restrictions implemented in the last two weeks, I can do the same as long as I test on day 8 as well. (Though I am able to move about on Day 5) I test for free in CA, and the tests in the UK are 75£, The cost is not an issue, I am exec platinum on AA and always fly business, 75£ is not an issue.

Apparently your difficulty ”believing” would be resolved by educating yourself a little.

Last edited by a moderator:

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl
Are you stuck in your bubble? Sure you may be right that ambulances didn't reroute, but that's likely because all other hospitals nearby were at capacity too.

Tell me again how hospitals are underutilized.

My family go out for exercise, long walks, rides on our bikes, we do our food shopping, we go to work. The kids should be in school, not learning from home as they are. We try to keep things normal and relative to the perceived risks.

Please read my post. I was referring to the Nightingale hospitals in the UK. The NHS (in THE UK ??) has a crisis quite often when it comes to winter and it’s often all over the BRITISH press.

I work from home remotely. I've only been out to pick up food and groceries. Target has a nice curbside trunk load service so I don't even have to be close to anyone.

How inconsiderate. You should stay indoors until you’re vaccinated...

No. Remember ebola mutating?

Talk about "an absolute load of horse dung". ?‍♂️

I don’t subscribe to the NYT, so no idea what the article says. But do remember, I said ‘generally’. It’s believed this is the case because a virus that kills its host, is going to have a hard time multiplying. Fairly straight forward logic. This is why Ebola outbreaks have been easier to contain, but the dead and their bodily fluids, continue to be infectious for long periods of time afterwards.

There is currently ZERO evidence to suggest that any of the new variants of Wuhan Flu/SARS-CoV-2 have become any more deadly.

Please read my post. I see a pattern emerging...

Lastly, as viruses mutate, they generally become less deadly but more infectious

I’ve included the above quote for clarity. You really need to pay attention. The word was ‘generally’...

Attachments

• american hospitals winter crisis - Google Search 2.png
    american hospitals winter crisis - Google Search 2.png
    182.3 KB · Views: 72
  • american hospitals winter crisis - Google Search 3.png
    american hospitals winter crisis - Google Search 3.png
    98 KB · Views: 76
  • american hospitals winter crisis - Google Search.png
    american hospitals winter crisis - Google Search.png
    182 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Well.. since I have a home there, there is no real time loss to quarantine. I test two days before leaving, test within 72 hours of arrival and test after 5 days under the test to release scheme. Even with the very latest restrictions implemented in the last two weeks, I can do the same as long as I test on day 8 as well. (Though I am able to move about on Day 5) I test for free in CA, and the tests in the UK are 75£, The cost is not an issue, I am exec platinum on AA and always fly business, 75£ is not an issue.

Apparently your difficulty ”believing” would be resolved by educating yourself a little.

Correct me if I am wrong, however you mentioned you travelled 6 times a year to Europe. Britain especially under BREXIT is no longer part or considered “Europe”.

Rather than retorting an insult in your wording “ASS”umptions (how original :rolleyes:) one would know that certain countries even if one has a house a traveller even living alone has to isolate for 3-14 days in a government approved “hotel”. Has to pay out of pocket prior to departure (72hrs) and twice upon arrival.

I sense a negative attitude and tone from your response, life must be really hard given the slip of entitlement (exec plat :rolleyes:) considering you have no problem with the tax payers of CA to pay for your test upon return. What private jets not available for your “business trips”.?

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong, however you mentioned you travelled 6 times a year to Europe. Britain especially under BREXIT is no longer part or considered “Europe”.

Rather than retorting an insult in your wording “ASS”umptions (how original :rolleyes:) one would know that certain countries even if one has a house a traveller even living alone has to isolate for 3-14 days in a government approved “hotel”. Has to pay out of pocket prior to departure (72hrs) and twice upon arrival.

I sense a negative attitude and tone from your response, life must be really hard given the slip of entitlement (exec plat :rolleyes:) considering you have no problem with the tax payers of CA to pay for your test upon return. What private jets not available for your “business trips”.?

For starters, the UK is very much in Europe… it did not up and move.

You do NOT need to isolate in a “quarantine” hotel the UK if you are from the U.S. and have a place to stay , Do a little research, you are embarrassing yourself. As far as the “taxpayers” paying my test… I pay significant taxes, so it’s my right. I have also paid for the majority several times from Covid Clinic to ensure I had results in the appropriate timeframe. Stay in your lane… you know not of which you speak.

Facts here: https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

Edit: Clarified comments for the prickly

Last edited:

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
For starters, the UK is very much in Europe… it did not up and move.

You do NOT need to isolate in the UK if you are from the U.S. , Do a little research, you are embarrassing yourself. As far as the “taxpayers” paying my test… I pay significant taxes, so it’s my right. I have also paid for the majority several times from Covid Clinic to ensure I had results in the appropriate timeframe. Stay in your lane… you know not of which you speak. :D

Facts here: https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

Quoted from the linked source you provided:

Overview
If you’re travelling to England you must either quarantine in the place you’re staying or in a managed quarantine hotel for 10 days because of coronavirus (COVID-19)
. What you need to do depends on where you travel in the 10 days before you arrive in England.
You must also get 2 coronavirus tests after you arrive in England. You’ll need to book these before you travel.”

Sounds like either you are not keeping abreast with recent developments or knowingly ignoring it. Either you are asleep behind the wheel or have veered off the road all together.

Plus it depends on how one refers to England as being part of Europe. Past, present, geographically, administratively, who you ask, etc.

Last edited:

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Quoted from the linked source you provided:

Overview
If you’re travelling to England you must either quarantine in the place you’re staying or in a managed quarantine hotel for 10 days because of coronavirus (COVID-19)
. What you need to do depends on where you travel in the 10 days before you arrive in England.
You must also get 2 coronavirus tests after you arrive in England. You’ll need to book these before you travel.”

Sounds like either you are not keeping abreast with recent developments or knowingly ignoring it. Either you are asleep behind the wheel or have veered off the road all together.

Plus it depends on how one refers to England as being part of Europe. Past, present, geographically, administratively, who you ask, etc.

I said previously that I have a home in the UK… I can quarantine at home “the place I am staying” I do not need to isolate in a hotel. Thus my previous comment “no real time lost to quarantine”

Again… I test before leaving LA… I test 3 days after arrival, I can choose to ”test to release” (from home quarantine) after 5 days and I am then free to head out most anywhere (Within the current country guidelines) Then I need to test again at 8 days. Since I’m home and there is plenty to do there, groceries delivered, take away delivered… there is no real need to do the 5 day test unless things open a bit more.

Have fun staying home..

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I said previously that I have a home in the UK… I can quarantine at home “the place I am staying” I do not need to isolate in a hotel. Thus my previous comment “no real time lost to quarantine”

Again… I test before leaving LA… I test 3 days after arrival, I can choose to ”test to release” (from home quarantine) after 5 days and I am then free to head out most anywhere (Within the current country guidelines) Then I need to test again at 8 days. Since I’m home and there is plenty to do there, groceries delivered, take away delivered… there is no real need to do the 5 day test unless things open a bit more.

Have fun staying home..

You are still quarantining at home correct, time wasted or not you are not free to roam about and need to make appropriate arrangements to have groceries delivered. I am not sure how “you” define quarantine but my idea is not to spend one waking moment in a hotel room or personal home while I am on vacation and have the ability to roam about freely without testing every few days with restriction. Seems like you are applying lipstick on a pig and feel what you have or have come to accept is something special which does not effect you. When in reality it is sensed in your discourse being dissatisfied with what you have succumb to accept.

Actually I fly and drive wherever I please within the country and in a few short months I don’t foresee any restrictions in my international travel plans because retirement is great.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
My family go out for exercise, long walks, rides on our bikes, we do our food shopping, we go to work. The kids should be in school, not learning from home as they are. We try to keep things normal and relative to the perceived risks.

This is off topic.

Please read my post so you don’t look like a nugget. I was referring to the Nightingale hospitals in the UK. The NHS (in THE UK ??) has a crisis quite often when it comes to winter and it’s often all over the BRITISH press.

You were the one that replied to my post and suddenly you're limiting the scope to "Nightingale hospitals".

Because...somehow Nightingale hospital works applies to the entire world?? Despite the fact that US hospitals were overrun. That's some odd logic you're running on.

How inconsiderate. You should stay indoors until you’re vaccinated...

Tell me how am I inconsiderate when I gave you scenarios where it is literally impossible for me to spread covid. My doors and windows stay shut when Target employee loads groceries into my trunk. My trunk is fully automatic so the employee doesn't touch the trunk button too.

Looks like you couldn't find a counter argument so you resorted to saying that.

But do remember, I said ‘generally’.

"Generally" means it's entirely possible another pandemic can happen. :)

There is currently ZERO evidence to suggest that any of the new variants of Wuhan Flu/SARS-CoV-2 have become any more deadly.

A lack of evidence of current virus mutation not being more deadly does not prove it cannot happen, considering a mutation of a previous virus proved to be more deadly.

Please read my post. I see a pattern emerging...

I read it clearly.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Broad and inaccurate statement. Go say that the multitude of autistic kids I know, which became autistic after taking the "good vaccines".
"Multitudes", right.... again, nothing but blatant lies.
200 years of vaccines that saved millions and millions of lives; but here we are today, when Joe the plumber says on YouTube vaccines are bad and cause autism (of course without presenting any evidence). And people believe it.

I'm out. Have a good rest of the week guys, stay healthy.

Last edited:

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl
This is off topic.

No. I was replying to you asking me the following question: “Are you stuck in your bubble?” It was the first thing you wrote in one of your posts (#102).

You were the one that replied to my post and suddenly you're limiting the scope to "Nightingale hospitals".

Because...somehow Nightingale hospital works applies to the entire world?? Despite the fact that US hospitals were overrun. That's some odd logic you're running on.

There’s no “suddenly” about it. I never mentioned anything other than the Nightingale Hospitals in ??, you just didn’t read it. I also then provided headlines of panic about hospitals in ?? being over run pre-pandemic and you chose to ignore the screenshots. Your healthcare system in the US is different and I’ve no idea about it, so can’t comment on it. I’m primarily concerned with what goes on in my country - ??. That doesn’t mean I ignore what happens in ??. But as you admitted, no one has had to be rerouted to a different hospital, due to the paramedics intended destination being overwhelmed with cases of Wuhan Flu/SARS-CoV-2.

Tell me how am I inconsiderate when I gave you scenarios where it is literally impossible for me to spread covid. My doors and windows stay shut when Target employee loads groceries into my trunk. My trunk is fully automatic so the employee doesn't touch the trunk button too.

Looks like you couldn't find a counter argument so you resorted to saying that.

You said: “A family that didn't get vaccinated that went outside care-free has a higher chance of stressing the hospital ... which would start a new pandemic.”

I’ve not seen any of your posts that confirm you have been vaccinated...

Therefore, if you’re outside and unvaccinated (correct me if I’m wrong), it’s “entirely possible” you could be spreading the virus via the air from inside your car, when your boot opens via your button... ??

"Generally" means it's entirely possible another pandemic can happen. :)

A lack of evidence of current virus mutation not being more deadly does not prove it cannot happen, considering a mutation of a previous virus proved to be more deadly.

Data is what I’m interested in. You’ve provided nothing but anecdotes and supposition. Articles that I cannot read and no hard statistical data.

I read it clearly.

Distorting your reality, does not affect my reality, or the reality of others who read these posts in the future.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Not true. Nowhere does it say that it stops coughing. Find where it does and post it here.

It sure does. If a vaccine prevents the infection, it reduces coughing overall. You're wrong, sadly.

The primary end point was the efficacy of the mRNA-1273 vaccine in preventing a first occurrence of symptomatic Covid-19 with onset at least 14 days after the second injection in the per-protocol population, among participants who were seronegative at baseline. End points were judged by an independent adjudication committee that was unaware of group assignment. Covid-19 cases were defined as occurring in participants who had at least two of the following symptoms: fever (temperature ≥38°C), chills, myalgia, headache, sore throat, or new olfactory or taste disorder, or as occurring in those who had at least one respiratory sign or symptom (including cough, shortness of breath, or clinical or radiographic evidence of pneumonia) and at least one nasopharyngeal swab, nasal swab, or saliva sample (or respiratory sample, if the participant was hospitalized) that was positive for SARS-CoV-2 by reverse-transcriptase–polymerase-chain-reaction (RT-PCR) test.
indicating 94.1% efficacy of the mRNA-1273 vaccine (95% CI, 89.3 to 96.8%; P<0.001) for the prevention of symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection as compared with placebo (Figure 3A).

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Every year the nhs has a rough time. Go find out how many more deaths compared to 2016/7/8 etc. Covid is a miracle. It’s cured strokes, aids, cancer, heart disease.

It's not as rough as USA's healthcare during COVID:

Reactions: CJ Dorschel

Kram Sacul

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2018
Southern California
You have plenty of choice. Your choice will determine your freedoms.

Not directed at you, but.. I’ve had enough of people not looking out for each other. We had an administration that had absolutely no concern for the American people and here we are with 480,000+ families grieving for their lost loved ones.

The entire temperature of the country was impacted by that horrible man and people have stopped caring for each other, masks alone back in March/April could have saved 200,000 lives.

We need drastic measures, if people consider them draconian, tough.. I’m over it…

I dare anyone to read this with a straight face. It’s impossible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.