Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new iPhone ad called "Goodbye Leather" on its YouTube channel in the U.K., months after the company controversially switched from leather to a much-criticized "FineWoven" fabric material for accessories.

Apple discontinuing leather accessories for environmental benefits was a noble aspiration, but FineWoven accessories have been very poorly received. Just days after the first FineWoven cases were released for the iPhone, some customers and media outlets complained about the fabric exterior being prone to scratches and stains. A photo of a FineWoven case with a misaligned USB-C port cutout also surfaced.

The Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern said her FineWoven case was "browning like a rotten banana" after five months of usage.

finewoven-case-stern.jpeg
Image Credit: Joanna Stern/The Wall Street Journal

"The edges are peeling, the fabric is scratched up like an old CD and it's browning like a rotten banana," she wrote, in her Tech Things newsletter. "I've been waiting for the CDC to show up at my house to declare it a biomedical concern."

Apple has yet to comment on FineWoven criticism, and it remains to be seen if the company discontinues the line or improves the material in any way.

Thanks, Dylan McDonald!

Article Link: Apple Says 'Goodbye Leather' in New iPhone Ad Following Controversial Switch to 'FineWoven' Material

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Goodbye leather is fine, when the replacement is superior. FineWoven is not.
Agree. I was initially kind of excited about this announcement because I assumed they'd cracked some kind of new material that would age well like leather, but without the environmental impact. I've got a faux leather desk pad and love it, so this could be good, right? Wrong.

I love my Ryan London.

Leather is everything I want, right amount of grip (doesn't slip out of your hand or turn pockets inside out), wears well, decent protection.
I got one of these as well. Love it! I happened to be in London and bought it in the shop where I believe they actually make them.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Apple says hello to cheaply made fabric cases that fall apart and look ugly as soon as anything runs against them. Tried a couple and the quality was so awful. This is like the butterfly keyboard all over again. It’s so wonderful. Then they go back after years of shame.

But later then they will say when leather comes back that this is an ethical and environmentally sound way of making leather cases! Their advertising is just awful and has been for years. The house that Timmeh let slide.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Not sure how these are being viewed as more environmentally friendly.

An iPhone X leather folio case for £99 in 2017 lasted the whole ownership period to end of 2023 when my mum upgraded to an iPhone 14. Easily the highest quality case I've owned for a smartphone.

These Finewoven cases haven't been out for a year and they already look ten years old. So a new case in a few months' time?

All the CO2 in manufacturing and shipping duplicated multiple times to replace. How very environmentally conscious.

jdawgnoonan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Jefferson, WI
This is the main reason my iPhone no longer uses an Apple made case, Apple’s leather cases were a quality product. ”Goodbye Leather,“ says Apple, well, my reply is “Goodbye Apple cases” because you don’t have any decent cases now. Also, there is no such thing as a sustainable mass produced product regardless of what some marketing department tells you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.