Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beermode

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2016
Considering the lack of logic in your post and I wouldn’t go to you as the purveyor of anything of the sort. On top of being completely ignorant to most everything you said the last statement is the most egregious. More selfish projecting. You may be anti-electric cars but the data says otherwise. Sales have slowed, but not because of the simplistic reason you mentioned, and are still at an all-time high and are still up year-over-year.

They are the future and nothing will ever stop that. Get used to it.
Gaslighting, that is what you are doing.

• Disagree
Reactions: I7guy

UliBaer

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
There are lot's of alternative sources for good leather cases out there. The "genuine" Apple leather cases starting with iPhone 12 are far below being stellar. Quality has gone down the drain since then. The only great leather case i ever had from Apple, was the one for the 6s.

GregoryIsom

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
The specific fibers used in fine woven are expensive to harvest and weave together. Huge energy consumption. Compared to leather? A byproduct of the meat industry that reduces animal waste....

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
...anti-electric cars but the data says otherwise. Sales have slowed, but not because of the simplistic reason you mentioned, and are still at an all-time high and are still up year-over-year.

They are the future and nothing will ever stop that. Get used to it.
Kinda off topic, but... Well, don't be too sure. In point of fact, electric cars were the PAST. Batteries always sucked to make, use, sustain and dispose of. Electric horseless carriages were kicked to the curb the instant gasoline carburation evolved to a safe, reproducible technique.

Interestingly, Ferdinand Porsche worked on electric cars in 1890s. Loehner-Porsche sold a gas-electric hybrid passenger "car" in 1898.

More Interestingly, Porsche makes one of the best electric cars (price notwithstanding) on the market today.

EVEN MORE interestingly, Porsche is spearheading a pilot program in Chile for producing synthetic gasoline - indistinguishable dinosaur juice. They build it from hydrogen and carbon dioxide. Startup costs sound high, but the expense is trivial in the long term energy game. Any way you look at the process, it is CLEANER, SAFER and LESS EXPLOITIVE than battery production. The carbon-neutrality math is spurious political B.S., but it's a better expense of electricity than stupid bit coin mining.

If Porsche's program scales well out of the lab, and the final cost comes down, we might be kicking electric cars to the curb again. No one will miss them, except urban drag racers who enjoy stomping on 911 drivers from stop lights.

You kids and your fancy phones, get off my lawn.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Can't we grow authentic leather in the lab the way we now grow authentic meat? Once we realize we can have the real-deal sustainably and without having to kill anything, the calculus should change, and having to settle for inferior materials should go away.
Go, Vault-Tec!

• Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Can't we grow authentic leather in the lab the way we now grow authentic meat? Once we realize we can have the real-deal sustainably and without having to kill anything, the calculus should change, and having to settle for inferior materials should go away.

Nobody is growing authentic meat in laboratories. The current fake meat products are made from highly processed plant materials.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Nobody is growing authentic meat in laboratories. The current fake meat products are made from highly processed plant materials.
"Vat-Grown", i.e., "Cell-Cultivated", meat is totally a real thing. Actual bovine muscle cell tissue cultures, lab grown in useful quantities, and tested in various forms by actual chefs and tasters. Apparently it takes some effort to make it palatable, owing to the intrinsic lack of fat and environmental conditions - i.e., sun, pastures and other cow things.

It's way past the early Frankenstein stage, and scaling up. It was approved for sale/serving by the USDA in 2022, and by the US FDA in 2023. Look up Vault-Tec... JK, look up UPSIDE and GOOD Meat. I don't know if it's certified Halal or Kosher, yet. I heard that Vegans generally concede that it's at least cruelty-free or slaughter-free.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
"Vat-Grown", i.e., "Cell-Cultivated", meat is totally a real thing. Actual bovine muscle cell tissue cultures, lab grown in useful quantities, and tested in various forms by actual chefs and tasters. Apparently it takes some effort to make it palatable, owing to the intrinsic lack of fat and environmental conditions - i.e., sun, pastures and other cow things.

It's way past the early Frankenstein stage, and scaling up. It was approved for sale/serving by the USDA in 2022, and by the US FDA in 2023. Look up Vault-Tec... JK, look up UPSIDE and GOOD Meat. I don't know if it's certified Halal or Kosher, yet. I heard that Vegans generally concede that it's at least cruelty-free or slaughter-free.
Lol. I thought your reference to Vault-Tec was from the new Prime series Fallout.

Reactions: ipaqrat

Haiku_Oezu

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2016
Goodbye leather, hello third party cases I guess

Me I prefer silicone anyway, I got one of the “good” Leather cases on my 14 and it just ended up looking like it came from a landfill in a couple months
All my Silicone cases on the other hand look just as good as when I got them save for the occasional scratchy

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I have the Finewoven case for my 15 Pro Max; when I first bought it, I saturated it with Scotchgard, which turned out to be a truly good idea. Mine looked quite a bit like Ms. Stern's in the photo, and I washed it with Dawn and warm water; it seriously looked new again afterward - even the scratches disappeared.

That being said, I agree with you - they are crap. I should not have to worry with Scotchgarding and washing my freaking phone case.

But there is no need to include PETA in your screed; I've been a member for decades. If you are OK with using the peeled-off, dried flesh of animals who were mistreated and kept in horrible conditions to protect your phone - that's fine, and I sincerely respect your right to do so. But don't criticize those of us who are grossed out by it.
Dude, you should definitely not spray scotch guard all over your phone case. It might protect the case, but you don't want that stuff rubbing all over your hands with the possibility of getting into your food. Scotchguard is really not good for you.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Lol. I thought your reference to Vault-Tec was from the new Prime series Fallout.
Yeah, riffin' on it there. I don't game (unless flight sims back in the 'naughts counts), so I never got into the original subculture, but season 1 was bingeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.