Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Silly customers. If your case looks bad after five months just buy a new one. You’re owning it wrong.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Use some soap and a rag and that gross case would be clean again.

The finewoven case has been the most durable and nice feeling Apple case I've used yet.
Right? How about we question how dirty of a person you are if your case is that nasty so quickly lol. Have a silicon and a fine woven purchased for a 15 pro max. No issues so far. Some light marks from general wear and tear, but no different than leather in the past. Currently just using silicon because the grip is better and like the color. If it's leather it's referred to as patina. If it's this... it'd defective. Calm down all who read this not realizing I'm just yanking a few chains here. Just razzing everyone here as I'm in the minority (and lucky) of not having issues. Clearly there is an issue with the product but these comments are like a feeding frenzy of comments on how terrible it is without considering maybe not tossing the case in a bag full of nails, loose change, and sharp objects or handling after changing the breaks on your car? (again, sarcasm and teasing).

• Disagree
Reactions: Bigg Macc

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So I'm fairly left leaning but I don't get the leather hate. These cows are getting eaten either way.

I love my Andar leather case for my MBP, my Trayvax leather wallet, and my Nomad leather AirTag holder. I've had leather iPhone cases in the past and I liked the feel but I always had to worry about them in the water so they didn't get weird over time. Having two kids I'm pretty active taking them to the pool and such.

Leather feels so great though, there is really no substitute. Both my cars have leather seats. One of them is a 2011 and one is a 2023 and the 2011 seats look great compared to any other car I've ever had and are more durable. I just rub some leather conditioner on them like once a year and keep them garaged when not in use. I have a leather couch being delivered in a week and I'm really looking forward to that. I swear now that I can finally afford nice things, if more companies take away leather, I'm gonna be pissed! But I imagine as long as cows exist there will be someone selling leather. What I'm more worried about are big furniture and car manufacturers stopping it outright, making it difficult or extremely niche and much more expensive to get that level of durability, comfort, and style. I know in my Telluride I have leather seats but in the new EV9 which is based on the Telluride, leather isn't even an option and they have some plant based crap that people are complaining about ripping easily.

Reactions: NufSaid

Rookbird¥

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2021
Apple is shooting themselves in the foot again. People who want leather will buy from someone else and that will be less sales that Apple is making. Companies are so focused on profit margins that they end up driving their customers away.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Is it true that there’s a ton of leather available to use that would go to waste in any case? Like all the butcher houses, cattle that dies and just the nature cycles doing its thing on all living things?

Because I do understand the premise on endangered species or those that would be left untouched except for leather; but if the premise is true (somebody else not me with deeper knowledge we need your brain) then I don’t get the blanket anti leather sentiment.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Hilarious. Realize that leather comes from everything we get from beef from. We aren't raising cows just to sacrifice them for leather and even then...why not.

Cowards
Is it? Just commented wondering about exactly that.
I truly don’t know, but I’m assuming we must be slaughtering animals left and right to beyond destructive levels because the anti leather movement seems quite strong. At least many feel strongly compelled to feel good about themselves by preaching about it.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
What’s really frustrating about this is there isn’t really any facts that ditching leather is environmentally sound. There’s a lot of opinion. I don’t think people realize we don’t kill cows for leather, cows are killed for meat. Leather is a byproduct. It ensures less of the cow is wasted. And leather is superior to many fabrics and to all synthetics in my opinion. So until everyone on earth quits eating beef, leather isn’t going away and a few iPhone cases aren’t going to break the bank. Also, Do they know the environmental costs of producing synthetic materials (usually carbon heavy)?
This is just selfish rationalization; not to mention lazy.

None of the alternatives are more carbon heavy (or more cruel) than the fat]Cory farming that goes on in this world. Whine about wanting leather or eating meat all you want but stop with the absolute disinformation that’s it’s more detrimental to the planet and environment. It isn’t even close.

And yeah, the science and data is out there.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
For my AirPods, I use a case from Native Union which they call a "reinterpretation" of leather using plant-based materials. I previously used their genuine leather case and in my opinion, it's a very comparable substitute in terms of look and feel. (At least on something the size of an AirPods case).

I can't believe that with Apple's resources, they couldn't have come up with something similar if not better. We could be cynical and say FineWoven is cheaper to produce (I'm not even sure if it is) but let's be fair. The fit and finish of most Apple products are not cheap or at least not cheap feeling.

I bought a FineWoven case to see for myself. While I don't dislike it as much as most people, I won't be buying another one. Apple can do a lot better.

HDFan

macrumors 604
Jun 30, 2007
So replacing a material that is renewable and a byproduct of the food we eat anyway by something that is made from fossil fuels is supposed to be good for the environment?

FineWoven material was also designed with the earth in mind — it’s made from 68 percent post-consumer recycled content

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Whatever Apple's real motivation for abandoning leather, it's a good thing. Humanity has long since exhausted slaughtering mammals to wear (or wrap devices) in their skin!!
Leather is actually one of the effort to maximize mammals usage. It's a byproduct of animals that otherwise going to be a waste and damage the environment even further. So no, for as long as human need meats, leather is a good thing.

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Whatever Apple's real motivation for abandoning leather, it's a good thing. Humanity has long since exhausted slaughtering mammals to wear (or wrap devices) in their skin!!
Oh you’re so mininformed. Leather is a byproduct of the food industry. So you’d rather the hides be dumped in a landfill than put to practical use?!

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
Oh you’re so mininformed. Leather is a byproduct of the food industry. So you’d rather the hides be dumped in a landfill than put to practical use?!

I heard before the switch to FineWoven, Apple had its own cattle ranch beneath Apple Park 😳

Apparently when Tim Cook got stressed, he would go down there to beat cattle to death and say to them "alright, which one of y'all wants to be a phone case?!"

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

rcarter3636

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
The only reason they got rid of leather is the price went way up. The “environmental“ garbage is just typical corporate virtue signaling. It’s ALWAYS about money ….now companies just have a convenient excuse to use.

But but who will kill the cows now so the planet will be saved from the cows farts

Reactions: jonnyb098

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I don’t care either way. Apple’s leather cases were poor quality in my experience (like a mix of plastic, cardboard and a paper thin player of leather) and didn’t wear well for me at all. They can keep their finewoven, I’ll buy leather accessories from companies that know how to manufacture them.

Also, no cow has ever been killed for its skin.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
For Apple, "Goodbye Leather" is a good first step. The second step should be "Goodbye Tim Cook".

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.