Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
The Finewoven cases remind me of those “cheap” Maseratis on eBay where the fabric on the doors fails to stay adhered to the door and comes up in areas so there’s bubbling in the fabric. Looks so terrible. I always go to native Apple stuff but I’ll have a third party case for the 16 Pro if they have the audacity to keep these around.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Apple is shooting themselves in the foot again. People who want leather will buy from someone else and that will be less sales that Apple is making. Companies are so focused on profit margins that they end up driving their customers away.

At some time in the future, probably not too far away, ESG/profit overlap will swing heavily in favour of ESG. There will be no point making xyz if you're fined into oblivion on the profit.

Reactions: gusmula

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
FineWoven is not a good replacement. Would like to see Apple use a different fabric in the future.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Perhaps Apple has gone too far with ‘being green’. Leather is a by product of animals that are consumed by humans. Using the skins avoids them rotting in Landfills
Time to bring back leather and keep customers happy…….Fine Woven is a disgrace to the Apple Customer
Sometimes not every idea is worth following!!!
Apples failure to comment shows that they know they screwed up hopefully they rectify it with the iPhone 16

Reactions: dotnet and MXBY

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Perhaps Apple has gone too far with ‘being green’. Leather is a by product of animals that are consumed by humans. Using the skins avoids them rotting in Landfills
Time to bring back leather and keep customers happy…….Fine Woven is a disgrace to the Apple Customer
Sometimes not every idea is worth following!!!
Apples failure to comment shows that they know they screwed up hopefully they rectify it with the iPhone 16

The problem Apple was trying to address the FineWoven is the environmental impact of the leather tanning process, which is pretty gruesome.

This study looked at the contaminants released into the air over a region of Italy. There is also the problem of contaminants released into the water supply.

I think Apple should be supported for its attempts to reduce their use of products that increase pollution (whatever you think their motivations are), but I also think this FineWoven stuff is misguided.

There is clearly a problem with the durability of the FineWoven cases, and human beings are an astonishingly shallow species that would bury the planet under a cloud of contaminants, rather than walk around with a scruffy phone case.
So they’re not really solving the problem; they’re just moving it somewhere else by encouraging customers to seek leather cases from other manufacturers.

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
Chunks of my Silicone case for the iPhone 15 Pro came off, after 3 months. And I work remotely and don't even keep it in my jeans that often.

Then I accidentally dropped the iPhone and scratched the aluminium surface on a place where the Silicone case had broken.

Apple. Is the planet better off when I have to buy a new Silicone case after 3 months?

Further, when researching the FineWoven case, they received pretty bad reviews on durability, not to mention that they are also ugly.

The virtue signalling and simultaneous greed under Tim Cook has been slowly deteriorating the Apple brand over the years, even though the process has been so slow that I think Apple are not cognizant of it.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Bring back the leather. It is not like there is a shortage of cow hides in the world. i returned my fine woven case and watch bands the day they arrived. Junk that would wear very badly. I have a friend who still has his on his iPhone and it is NASTY dirty. Gross!

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
I’d argue silicone is worse for the environment. Imagine silicone cases in a landfill for hundreds of years.

I’ve been using a finewoven for 5 months. I quite like it and it’s held up well!

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Never liked leather anyway. People crying like if Apple leather cases were actually good (they were not). In less than 2 years leather cases started to fall apart and loose color, same as FineWoven.

Oh and btw. I stopped buying Apple official cases since my old 6s, both silicone and leather. Right now I am using my SE3 with cheap chinese copy of Apple silicone case. 1 year already and it still intact and looks good, apart from that the fake Apple logo disappeared🤣

Before my 11 Pro died I used UAG Civilian case. The phone is dead, the case isn’t and I still have it! Because it was made according to MIL STD 810G 516.6. It can literally withstand shrapnel hit and explosions near. The downside is bulkiness of the case, a reason I didn’t buy it for SE3

haemolysis

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2022
I’m not too worried about the iPhone leather honestly, I used one once and it was a bit too thick on an already unwieldy phone.

But leather going away from the Apple Watch seems a real bummer. A product worn so closely to the skin, tactile feel, comfort, flexibility and quality are much more important. I’m not sure there is a suitable alternative for some watch bands.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The problem Apple was trying to address the FineWoven is the environmental impact of the leather tanning process, which is pretty gruesome.

This study looked at the contaminants released into the air over a region of Italy. There is also the problem of contaminants released into the water supply.

I think Apple should be supported for its attempts to reduce their use of products that increase pollution (whatever you think their motivations are), but I also think this FineWoven stuff is misguided.

There is clearly a problem with the durability of the FineWoven cases, and human beings are an astonishingly shallow species that would bury the planet under a cloud of contaminants, rather than walk around with a scruffy phone case.
So they’re not really solving the problem; they’re just moving it somewhere else by encouraging customers to seek leather cases from other manufacturers.
I like the fine woven case and dont care if it looks or gets worn as long as it does it job - which to me is to protect the phone from damage.

Reactions: babalougots

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
FW is not an issue per se. I bought it this year, I won't next year but it's a cheap product that should be priced accordingly, not at the same price the leather cases were priced at.

They talk about sustainability, but do you know what would it be even more sustainable? Not purposely change the design every damn year to force you to buy another case!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
FW is not an issue per se. I bought it this year, I won't next year but it's a cheap product that should be priced accordingly, not at the same price the leather cases were priced at.

They talk about sustainability, but do you know what would it be even more sustainable? Not purposely change the design every damn year to force you to buy another case!
Can’t have it all ways but MR posters do. Can’t criticize apple for forcing a case change while at the same time criticizing them for lack of innovation even though the change it up.

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
Can’t have it all ways but MR posters do. Can’t criticize apple for forcing a case change while at the same time criticizing them for lack of innovation even though the change it up.
I get that but for iPhone 16 there is no need to move the buttons 0.05mm up just to force you to change the case like they did with iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s.

Last edited:
Reactions: VisceralRealist

reggoboy

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
Can't we grow authentic leather in the lab the way we now grow authentic meat? Once we realize we can have the real-deal sustainably and without having to kill anything, the calculus should change, and having to settle for inferior materials should go away.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

HudsonSteele

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2016
I have not been able to find data supporting that so if you have it I would welcome any peer reviewed sources. Please share.

My comment wasn’t about cruelty. My comment was that you will not get meat to stop being produced so leather just becomes a wasted byproduct instead of a used one. I would rather use it than waste it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.