Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
So replacing a material that is renewable and a byproduct of the food we eat anyway by something that is made from fossil fuels is supposed to be good for the environment?
That kind of logic has NO PLACE here 🤣. But seriously yeah you are correct. And until people stop eating meat (not gonna happen) then leather has little to no impact on the environment compared to all the synthetic/plastic garbage being made. Thankfully the fad is slowly coming to and end. My local markets fake meat section is now down to about 2 ft. And no one wants electric cars anymore so car manufacturers are panicking to pivot back to giant gas or hybrid SUVs.

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Use some soap and a rag and that gross case would be clean again.

The finewoven case has been the most durable and nice feeling Apple case I've used yet.
You’ve obviously never used any other iPhone case if you seriously believe this. I went through two fine woven cases in the first month and a half after launch and they wore terribly.

Reactions: Timpetus

rmiller065

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
I returned my case and wallet two days after receiving them at launch. The wallet wouldn't hold three cards, and I am glad I kept my leather wallet (still in great condition).

maruyama

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2024
I expected them to quietly replace FineWoven with some other, more leather-like material. Have to say I really did not see them doubling down on FineWoven.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I figured I'd try the fine woven case and bought that and put it on in September last year.

I normally walk around with the phone in my front jeans pocket.

Here is how it looked after about 6 months (with dust and all):

IMG_3413.jpeg

Not too bad, but I do miss the normal patina that comes with the leather cases.

Gonna wear this for another 5-6 months before I pass my final judgement, but for now: Finevowen cases are OK, but nothing special.

Last edited:

Cheesehead Dave

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2020
I have no issue with Apple ditching leather if that's one of their ethical goals. There will be plenty of other companies to get a leather case from if that's what you want.

FineWoven was a complete April Fools joke of a replacement however. It's this year's iPod Socks.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I want to thank Apple for forcing me to use the clear plastic case, which is much cheaper, and of course doesn't harm the environment at all, LOL

gk_brown

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2020
Goodbye leather is fine, when the replacement is superior. FineWoven is not.

No chance Apple ships iPhone 16 cases in "FineWoven". It'll quietly disappear. Or be a silicone-only year.
So far, my fine-woven case is holding up better than any of my previous silicone cases (which start to peel after about a year of use).

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Goodbye leather is fine, when the replacement is superior. FineWoven is not.

No chance Apple ships iPhone 16 cases in "FineWoven". It'll quietly disappear. Or be a silicone-only year.
Doesn't need to be superior. Only similar. Superior would be a plus.

I think they'll ship them anyway. And then make incremental improvements along the way. The biggest success for a company like Apple is when people give a 3 out 5 star review but buy the product anyway. 5-star reviews means they left money on the table. They will market the crap out of these and people will buy them. If anyone has a problem with quality, they'll provide a replacement for free. How many people will do that?

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
This is counterproductive and a great example of how marketing cannot compensante everything endlessly.

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
I really don't care one way or the other. I'm using a Speck Products plastic case, with soft-grip rubber edges. Put it in a pocket, and it's never going to fall out. And costs less than half of leather.

The only place I really insist on leather is my furniture, my jacket, and my car. A leather phone case is a waste of money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.