Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
They're looking for marketing wins where they can find them. It's purely a media/ad move. Keep in the news, keep in the happy Green circle, etc. Whatever. It's just bland noise. Show us something REAL. MAKE APPLE GREAT AGAIN!

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
As soon as Apple made the announcement that they'd be discontinuing leather cases, I finally went ahead on Amazon and dropped the cash to get one for my 13 mini. If anything, I feel sad I didn't buy into these sooner, because it has been a wonderful case.

But the day I'm forced to upgrade, I'll just look for leather options from another vendor.

4k78

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Pleasantly surprised most here think FW is stupid. But I suppose there is still time for the emotional anti-leather comments.

Reactions: Timpetus

ace8cjc

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
There is a reason leather has been used for centuries. It’s a tried-and-true material.

Instead of developing fine woven, they should have devoted those resources to ensuring their leather was sourced humanely and sustainably. The leather could be obtained as a byproduct of the meat that everyone is going to eat anyways.

Fine woven wears out easily and will be discarded quickly, leading to more plastic in the landfills and oceans. Leather can be used for years, handed down to others, and it looks better with age.

They only switched to fine woven to score political points and increase profit margins, not because it’s better for the earth.

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I may have to say "Goodbye APPLE Leather", but I will stick with leather, thank you, even if not an Apple product. Thank goodness my iPhone 13 Mini has one of the last leather cases. "Fine Woven" is crap, from what I have seen of it. The silicone cases work fine, but in my experience, they last 6 months to a year, before they start to fall apart and become unraveled.

The leather just holds up better, and gets softer and more comfortable with use.

Last edited:

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Unrelated, but hilarious apple still sells their silicone cases for $50. I cant believe people pay that price when you can get a much cheaper replica (almost to the "t") on ali express.

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
This ad feels tone deaf. People like the leather. The replacement is garbage. When we consider leather begins as a by product of the meat industry, the emissions are not significantly different. Too bad YouTube won’t show the number of dislikes - this ad is getting ratioed.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Trading one environmental problem for another with less overall quality. Microtwill is a weave not a product. Could not find what the actual threads are made of. Other than 68% post-consumer materials. If plastics, a bad environmental trade off.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Luckly I was still able to buy one of the remaining leather cases for my iPhone 15 Pro Max. Still looks 100% flawless.

Reactions: RealPhone

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Trading one environmental problem for another with less overall quality. Microtwill is a weave not a product. Could not find what the actual threads are made of. Other than 68% post-consumer materials. If plastics, a bad environmental trade off.

What environmental problem? Instead of using the skin of cows they slaughter, it now gets thrown away.

JordanCautious

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2023
Tbh I'm a big Apple Fanboy but let's be honest. This accessory is pretty awful from a variety of perspectives. Whoever is in charge of sustainability at Apple needs to be let go. Im not blaming Tim Cook for this because I know it's the fault of whoever is in charge of sustainability at Apple for not stress testing the material enough before shipping it to production. Fire them please, thank you

IcyGrooves

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
I normally don’t comment but I must— I have a black fiber case that I purchased with my iPhone 15 pro max when it was released and it’s held up against drops and it’s really the best case I’ve had and I’ve had almost every iPhone and many cases. As for eliminating leather, animals are important and their happiness matters. If we can reduce the suffering of our fellow earthlings we should do so undoubtedly.

AppleUser2

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
There is a reason leather has been used for centuries. It’s a tried-and-true material.

Instead of developing fine woven, they should have devoted those resources to ensuring their leather was sourced humanely and sustainably. The leather could be obtained as a byproduct of the meat that everyone is going to eat anyways.

Fine woven wears out easily and will be discarded quickly, leading to more plastic in the landfills and oceans. Leather can be used for years, handed down to others, and it looks better with age.

They only switched to fine woven to score political points and increase profit margins, not because it’s better for the earth.
It's not a 'material'. It's the skin of a poor animal that was slaughtered at about a tenth of its natural life cycle for its full economic cost (near, skin etc).

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Given the poor durability of fine woven, surely fine woven is worse for the environment. Also I note they didn't mention finewoven in the video

Reactions: landonalder

macsimcon

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Apple’s quality has been declining since Timmy took over. Elimination of free cables and chargers, terrible butterfly keyboards, cheap materials for watch bands, inability to replace memory and storage in all but the most expensive Mac, and elimination of the 27” iMac are just a few Timmy penny-pinching gaffes. Timmy is good for shareholders but awful for customers. Such a jerk.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
Disgusting.
PETA can go to hell, and Apple is wrong.
Finewoven is crap. Yet Apple will charge the same or might charge us more for sub par quality.

ok guy, you're getting triggered over some frivolous nonsense. You don't have to agree with every little thing a company or group or org does, but they do all great things whether you like it or not. Apple is taking a chance and its really their products to create at the end of the day, you do not have to buy them.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
FineWoven being 68% recycled materials but still being priced like something completely new and premium just sounds to me like Apple trying to greenwash us into buying cases with higher profit margins for Apple over (comparatively expensive) leather.

Sure. If FineWoven had impeccable aesthetics and feel that barely wore down then I'd be all for it.

But they really look and feel like crap when they start breaking down. And it happens so fast for most of them.

Really bad product. Surely, they can improve it for iPhones 16?!

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
It would be interesting to see the environmentals on this. Leather isnt great, but at least what youre using is a byproduct and has been shown to be safe.

However, finewoven is massively recycled… what is the cost of that recycling… the emissions.. how long does fine woven last… and lastly, is it safe. Recycled plastics and fibres accumulate alot of pollution from previous use, disposal, processing and remanufacture.

This is why im highly cautious of massively recycled plastics… the very nature of the material make it one of the worst for safe recycling.

Id be happier them developing a completely sustainable plant based case, that wears gracefully, is non toxic, and is cheap.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
By far the worst feeling product that Apple has ever made. Like one of those horrible holographic bookmarks.
neil-patrick-harris-shudder.gif

Horrible

• Haha
Reactions: Godspeed8230
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.