Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricketysquire

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2020
I bet his private jet has leather seats as well.

Just wish they'd cut out with all this hypocrisy and just create good products and serve customers. A business doesn't need to be a moral vanguard, just be a damn business. Everyone's so focused on causes but disregard product quality and service. For example: I don't care what my car manufactures opinion is on social justice issues, I just want a safe and reliable car, and if an issue is found, then immediately resolving it via a clearly communicating recall.

Mr. Incandenza

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
Silicone is the way to go anyway. The issue is they generally don't last even a year, so you need 2 cases to last one phone cycle in my experience. The leather and this fine woven case were always too slippery for me, never could use them.
They'd just start pealing or breaking on the sides sadly. And they grip the lining of my pockets. Finewoven fixed both of these problems for me.

Dr32Degrees

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2021
Disgusting.
PETA can go to hell, and Apple is wrong.
Finewoven is crap. Yet Apple will charge the same or might charge us more for sub par quality.
I have the Finewoven case for my 15 Pro Max; when I first bought it, I saturated it with Scotchgard, which turned out to be a truly good idea. Mine looked quite a bit like Ms. Stern's in the photo, and I washed it with Dawn and warm water; it seriously looked new again afterward - even the scratches disappeared.

That being said, I agree with you - they are crap. I should not have to worry with Scotchgarding and washing my freaking phone case.

But there is no need to include PETA in your screed; I've been a member for decades. If you are OK with using the peeled-off, dried flesh of animals who were mistreated and kept in horrible conditions to protect your phone - that's fine, and I sincerely respect your right to do so. But don't criticize those of us who are grossed out by it.

HudsonSteele

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2016
What’s really frustrating about this is there isn’t really any facts that ditching leather is environmentally sound. There’s a lot of opinion. I don’t think people realize we don’t kill cows for leather, cows are killed for meat. Leather is a byproduct. It ensures less of the cow is wasted. And leather is superior to many fabrics and to all synthetics in my opinion. So until everyone on earth quits eating beef, leather isn’t going away and a few iPhone cases aren’t going to break the bank. Also, Do they know the environmental costs of producing synthetic materials (usually carbon heavy)?

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
iPhone cycle is 5 years.
What he means is the fit of the cases. You used to be able to use last years phone case with the current year but Apple keeps slightly tweaking the camera layout every year recently which is super annoying but smart for them for business. Ironically it creates more waste by not being able to reuse cases for a couple years. You’d think thats worse for the planet but logic rarely has a place in regard to corporate virtue signaling.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
What’s really frustrating about this is there isn’t really any facts that ditching leather is environmentally sound. There’s a lot of opinion. I don’t think people realize we don’t kill cows for leather, cows are killed for meat. Leather is a byproduct. It ensures less of the cow is wasted. And leather is superior to many fabrics and to all synthetics in my opinion. So until everyone on earth quits eating beef, leather isn’t going away!
Shhhhhhh you aren’t supposed to say that 🤣

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
How about you make a phone that doesn't crack? No one likes a cover. The phone is so beautiful, and 99% of people need to use that ugly condom.

Reactions: one more

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Goodbye leather is fine, when the replacement is superior. FineWoven is not.

No chance Apple ships iPhone 16 cases in "FineWoven". It'll quietly disappear. Or be a silicone-only year.
Hopefully they improve the silicon. I had to order a new silicone case for my 13 Peo Max because it has a hole in the top right corner of the case. The case isn't even 2 years old yet. My other 13 Pro Max is in a leather case and it still looks brand new.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Apple can shove it. And their latter leather cases sucked balls anyway. More like plastic. Bullstrap is 100% FTW and you can safely leave the virtue signalling at the door when buying 👌

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.