Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danieldk

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Unless someone figures out how to chain this through a browser exploit

Agreed. But if someone gets code with enough privileges running on a machine, it's pretty much game over anyway (there are probably enough local exploits in the black market, let alone that you'll be able to trick people into giving a root password or accessibility access for key logging).

I don't want to downplay this vulnerability. It's bad. But if you read press coverage, it'll read like imminent doom, which overblown.

Also, we have to see if there are no workarounds. E.g. Pro/Max have two performance clusters. So, certain types of communication between apps could be required to run on separate performance clusters. We don't know if Apple doesn't have a similar undocumented flag on M1/M2. We don't know what is possible through microcode updates, etc. So many unknowns at this point.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
By the way, MacWorld is incorrect here. It does not require physical access. A malicious actor needs to be able to run a process in your machine. This can also be accomplished by tricking the user to install malware, planting malware through vulnerabilities in programs that read untrusted data (web browser, iMessage, etc.).

If you don't install random software from the internet, you should be pretty safe.
"Requires an attacker process to be running on your machine..." Looking at the EU demands and the push to allow 3rd party stores, side loading applications, etc....

Unknown.jpeg

hacky

Suspended
Jul 14, 2022
Attackers have to: 1. have physical access to the machines and either your account password or an account on the computer to exploit this or 2. otherwise get access to the computer. It looks like it could be done via installed software, although that potential method of attack needs to be confirmed as viable in the “real world”.

Given these constraints, this is going to be an issue for how many people? I’m not minimizing the risk. I’m merely indicating that security vulnerabilities “affect” everyone but only have negative effects on a minority of users. In those cases they can be devastating, but catastrophizing about this is not warranted. Apple will figure out a way to address it.
As said in my previous posts.

This affects everyone. Because prior this attack - when attacker gained user privileges, that was all he got. User privileges. If he did not find i PrivEsc exploit to gain admin rights.

With this thing you're able to extract private keys (confidential data) which requires admin rights, just with user privileges.

Reactions: Will Tisdale 🎗

hacky

Suspended
Jul 14, 2022
"Requires an attacker process to be running on your machine..." Looking at the EU demands and the push to allow 3rd party stores, side loading applications, etc....
Uh... This can be performed even through the software available in the Apple's app store. All it takes is security hole in such software which you can exploit to run your custom code.

EU 3rd party stores has nothing to do with this thing. Also 3rd party stores are optional thing. It's your responsibility what you install anyway.

danieldk

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Yes. Attacker needs executable to be run on the target machine. Attacker does not need physical access though. Delivery of the executable can be performed completely remotely.

Now you need two exploits. Through your reasoning, every locally exploitable vulnerability is also a remotely exploitable vulnerability. Yet, this would be classified as a local vulnerability (which you could exploit if you have a remote vulnerability that allows you to drop and execute a binary).

Reactions: amartinez1660

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I bet it might be easier to exploit this with Progressive Web Apps! Was Apple right about Security all along?

danieldk

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Extracting private key just by running the executable under the user privileges is still a big thing.

Not just by running an executable. The executable also needs to be able to communicate with a victim process (this implies something that listens on e.g. a UNIX domain socket or network socket) and the victim process needs to pass the data from the malicious process directly to certain crypto primitives. This affects only a small number of applications. And then the exploit can only extract private keys from the victim process, *not* any application on the system (let alone the secure enclave).

hacky

Suspended
Jul 14, 2022
Now you need two exploits. Through your reasoning, every locally exploitable vulnerability is also a remotely exploitable vulnerability. Yet, this would be classified as a local vulnerability (which you could exploit if you have a remote vulnerability that allows you to drop and execute a binary).
That's correct. Never I said it's a remotely exploitable vulnerability (and if I said so, I'm going to fix my mistake). All I said or wanted to say is that you don't require physical access to the target machine in order to exploit it.

Physical access and running process on the target machine are two totally different things. You need physical access in order to attack machine with rubber ducky USB. You don't need it for the this exploit though.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
so when will the class action or recall be so can we trade in our M1’s for an M3?
That sounds like a plan. 😄

[I'm still a little bitter about buying a $3,000 M1 Max machine in 2022, and now we are already up to the M3 chip. Yes, computer tech moves fast, but Apple also seems to be too quick to drop support for past hardware.]

• Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

danieldk

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
That's correct. Never I said it's a remotely exploitable vulnerability (and if I said so, I'm going to fix my mistake). All I said or wanted to say is that you don't require physical access to the target machine in order to exploit it.

Physical access and running process on the target machine are two totally different things. You need physical access in order to attack machine with rubber ducky USB. You don't need it for the this exploit though.

I think we are in full agreement. The message I initially reacted to seemed to imply that this was remotely exploitable. I think it does not make sense to fix a message (maybe add an additional remark at the bottom), because it makes it impossible to follow the conversation.

Reactions: hacky

Xiao_Xi

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2021
I skimmed parts of the paper. It looks like the issue affects 13th gen Intel processors as well. Possibly more processors.
Intel seems to have included some measures to prevent attacks like this, but I am not sure if these measures protect against this attack.
On Intel processors, DDPs exhibit several properties which are designed to restrict their potential use for side channel attacks. These properties include not operating at supervisor or other privileged modes, preventing cross-domain training, and preventing recursive dereferencing (meaning the DDP will not use the contents of dereferenced memory addresses for further prefetches).

By the way, that documentation is from the end of 2022.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

hacky

Suspended
Jul 14, 2022
I think we are in full agreement. The message I initially reacted to seemed to imply that this was remotely exploitable. I think it does not make sense to fix a message (maybe add an additional remark at the bottom), because it makes it impossible to follow the conversation.
In such case we are in full agreement.

Yes, you need to deliver your executable to the target machine be it through
  • another insecure software already running on the machine
  • another exploit
  • social engineering
So yes, it either requires user interaction or another exploit. I'm not saying this HW security vulnerability means all Macs are now going to be hacked. Not at all.

But it's still very important exploit especially when it can't be fixed just through next macOS upgrade.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
That sounds like a plan. 😄

[I'm still a little bitter about buying a $3,000 M1 Max machine in 2022, and now we are already up to the M3 chip. Yes, computer tech moves fast, but Apple also seems to be too quick to drop support for past hardware.]
This is going to make me sound really, really old… which I am! 😁

I do miss the pre-internet days.
I would buy a Mac from my Mac shop… use it until it felt slowish. Then I might even just upgrade the RAM or storage myself. *gasp*

I lived and worked with no idea what the latest and greatest Mac was. What processor it was up to… etc etc.

Just blissful ignorance.

After 3-5 years I'd just buy the latest Mac I could afford.

Life definitely was a lot simpler back then! 🙂

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.