Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The headline is way too sensationalist. First of all, to get the key the exploit would need to run for several hours on the same CPU cluster. Second, the exploit cannot guess keys from the Secure Enclave. Third, the exploit needs to have access to the source code of the cryptographic algorithm.

So, yes, while this is a potential vulnerability, it’s utility as exploit is extremely low in practice and it is not relevant to the core of actually important cryptography on your computer.

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2022
The headline is way too sensationalist. First of all, to get the key the exploit would need to run for several hours on the same CPU cluster. Second, the exploit cannot guess keys from the Secure Enclave. Third, the exploit needs to have access to the source code of the cryptographic algorithm.

So, yes, while this is a potential vulnerability, it’s utility as exploit is extremely low in practice and it is not relevant to the core of actually important cryptography on your computer.
You're only half-correct
  • No, it does not need for several hours. From the research paper: it takes as little as few minutes
  • Yes, it can not get the keys from secure enclave - but majority of the 3rd party software does not store private keys there. This exploit is able to extract the keys when they are in-memory.
  • Well, RSA is most used cryptographic algorithm and its pretty known. It's known that proprietary self-implemented cryptography algorithms are usually really bad. It's a bad idea to try to implement custom crypto. It never works well.

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
For those that are surprised by presence of CPU vulnerabilities - I have news...

(I do not make excuses for Apple but - let's get real... hardware just as software can have vulnerabilities, it is a fact of life)

heinzdembowski

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2021
Are there any estimates how much this predictive pointer dereferencing, or whatever it is, gives in speed advantage (i.e. how much slower Macs will become without it)?

On another note, the whole Apple Silicon move seems to have been unwarranted. Intel and AMD are making large strides in power efficiency and even without the inevitable slowdown from patching this vulnerability, there have been no enticing improvements since the M1.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Intel seems to have included some measures to prevent attacks like this, but I am not sure if these measures protect against this attack.

By the way, that documentation is from the end of 2022.
Yes, they should. Apple has something similar with the M3 series processors. From the researchers' website: "Can the DMP be disabled?" "Yes, but only on some processors. We observe that the DIT bit set on m3 CPUs effectively disables the DMP. This is not the case for the m1 and m2. Also, Intel's counterpart, DOIT bit, can be used to disable DMP on the Raptor Lake processors."

Reactions: dricci and Xiao_Xi

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
This is going to make me sound really, really old… which I am! 😁

I do miss the pre-internet days.
I would buy a Mac from my Mac shop… use it until it felt slowish. Then I might even just upgrade the RAM or storage myself. *gasp*

I lived and worked with no idea what the latest and greatest Mac was. What processor it was up to… etc etc.

Just blissful ignorance.

After 3-5 years I'd just but the latest Mac I could afford.

Life definitely was a lot simpler back then! 🙂
It was simpler. 🙂

I got my first Mac in 2004, a 17" PowerBook G4 when I started my graphic design career. I used it and upgraded what I could until it became so slow, I couldn't do anything. In 2010, I bought a 15" MacBook Pro. Used it, years later upgraded to an SSD, but finally got to the point where it was giving me problems. I was able to solve it with a software fix, and still have it in use as a media server.

In 2022, I needed something that could handle the side work I do (graphic design), so I bought the best MacBook Pro I could afford. I plan to use this until it conks out. Hopefully thats a long time away.

I know it's the way it's always been in the tech world and it's silly on my part, but it can be a little bit of a downer to continue to see newer and better Macs so quickly after you buy the "latest & greatest." 😄

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2022
Are there any estimates how much this predictive pointer dereferencing, or whatever it is, gives in speed advantage (i.e. how much slower Macs will become without it)?

On another note, the whole Apple Silicon move seems to have been unwarranted. Intel and AMD are making large strides in power efficiency and even without the inevitable slowdown from patching this vulnerability, there have been no enticing improvements since the M1.
It's quite impossible to give estimates because there's not a "global patch" for this issue. So it's going to vary software by software. Also the "patch" is being performed differently on M1, M2 and M3.

On M1, M2 you pin your software to use efficient cores only (so you're limited to the efficient cores performance).

On M3 you disable DMP via optional DIT bit for your software. And with such it's even harder to predict the perf loss.

As for the Intel and AMD comparison - they both have their own shares of issues and x86_64 arch is still lot less efficient than ARM. So I don't agree with your opinion that the whole Apple Silicon move seems to have been unwarranted.

Apple Silicon is the best thing to happen in Mac(Book) lineup for quite a long time.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Reminds me of Zero Click which mysteriously is never permanently disabled. It's almost like Apple cooperated in designing a backdoor into what they sell.

• Disagree
  • Wow
Reactions: gusmula and cyanite

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Uh... This can be performed even through the software available in the Apple's app store. All it takes is security hole in such software which you can exploit to run your custom code.

EU 3rd party stores has nothing to do with this thing. Also 3rd party stores are optional thing. It's your responsibility what you install anyway.

Any security hole in any application can exploit the user and potentially run custom code, not just this one. This exploit is no more/less threatening if an app is not written secure to begin with.

As for being the user responsibility, I agree, but that doesn't change the fact that droves of users will use 3rd party assuming they are safe, then blame Apple/Google for the malicious code they download.

3rd party store have far less code review and less stringent established rules (compared to Apple and dare say Google). As a dev I can get FAR more nefarious code on your device via other stores than I can through Apple.

JTK Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
…particularly on the earlier M1 and M2 chips. The DMP on the M3, Apple's latest chipchip, has a special bit that developers can invoke to disable it…

So this is Tim Cook’s evil plan to get everyone with M1s and M2s to upgrade to M3s! Genius. Tim Cook should be the villain in the next 007 film.

• Haha
Reactions: wilhoitm

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Apple's bad week.
This happens from time to time! People are trying to spread propoganda and tear down the big tech giants ( Apple, NVIDIA, Tesla, Microsoft, Amazon, Google) and act like they are the Devil Incarnate! I think it might have to do with AI! Some people are scared out of their minds because of AI and they will try to do anything to topple the tech giants!

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
I have more issues with my credit/debit card getting hacked. This is likely no big deal for 99.999% of us.

Certainly to propeller heads it’s notable, but good lord.

• Disagree
Reactions: DVD9

Rodney Williams

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
Dammit man! That's why I wait a while before purchasing any type of new computer especially if there is a NEW chip or silicon. Just can't win. WTF!

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2022
Any security hole in any application can exploit the user and potentially run custom code, not just this one. This exploit is no more/less threatening if an app is not written secure to begin with.
That's not true. This exploit extends the possibilities beyond the privileges the insecure exploited app runs with. If you exploit some insecure app prior this exploit you had user privileges (and fairly limited on top of that, because macOS separates privileges to user folders, user settings etc.). With this exploit you're able to extract private keys (secret information) which should be only possible with admin privileges. And now you can do that via unfixable HW exploit without additional PrivEsc exploit (PrivEsc exploit is pretty rare).

As for being the user responsibility, I agree, but that doesn't change the fact that droves of users will use 3rd party assuming they are safe, then blame Apple/Google for the malicious code they download.
Will use? MacOS allows 3rd party software normally just today and it's not a big deal. MacBook would be pretty unusable for many users if it would be limited just to the App Store apps. Even completely fine Steam is 3rd party app which needs to be downloaded outside of Apple's app store. Same goes for LibreOffice and other quite essential software (for many people).

3rd party store have far less code review and less stringent established rules (compared to Apple and dare say Google). As a dev I can get FAR more nefarious code on your device via other stores than I can through Apple.
Apple's App Store does not have any code review. You submit binaries to the Apple. Not the source code. But yes I agree it will have less rules for better or worse. It's double-edged sword. I prefer freedom on my device, it's my responsibility to choose which software I download and install.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Please, give some examples where dropped the ball on security in ways that it harmed a large number of users.
"a large number of users" sneaky. So you admit that Apple does have security issues that harm some users? So what is that magic number 100, 1000, 10000, millions?

Me, I am only 1 person, and it if harms me that is what is important. (my writing teacher is turning over in her grave with that last sentence. But you get the drift.)

• Disagree
Reactions: cyanite and Morod

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
For someone who likes to try out third-party apps and experiment in Terminal, this is unfortunate news. I already do my research before I install something, but I guess I will do extra research to make sure anything I install or any commands I put into Terminal are 100% safe.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
"Requires an attacker process to be running on your machine..." Looking at the EU demands and the push to allow 3rd party stores, side loading applications, etc....
My dude, this is a problem on macs, where you’ve always been able to run whatever you want. Not everything needs a libertarian screaming about EU regs being some form of conspiracy to pwn your devices 🙄

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.