Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
So the reviews are trickling in. It DOES have fans, and the power cable is non-removable. The camera is OK (according to Ars Technica) but may have some bugs that will be fixed in a software update (the Verge).
The camera bugs are mind boggling. Every review seems to note them. I don’t understand how the issues weren't discovered during development.

When a review (WSJ) says it has a Blackberry-quality webcam… ouch, not a good look.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
The camera bugs are mind boggling. Every review seems to note them. I don’t understand how the issues weren't discovered during development.

When a review (WSJ) says it has a Blackberry-quality webcam… ouch, not a good look.

Apple will be working on this issue with a software update

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Has it been confirmed if this is 10 bit or 8-bit + FRC?
8-bit + FRC (Source)

"Apple also confirmed this is not a true 10-bit panel. There were several mentions of "over 1 billion colors" during the presentation, but it's an 8-bit panel with temporal dithering (AKA Frame Rate Control) just like the LCD panels in the 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pros. The only true 10-bit panel is Apple's lineup is still the Pro Display XDR, and it's safe to assume that it will stay that way."

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Saw a couple of reviews. The Studio Display is remarkably boring. The bezels can be thinner but otherwise it looks good, but the extra features unlocked by the A13 are just meh. Webcam doesn’t even work properly, what else can this monitor do to justify its price tag? I’ve read that when connected to a windows computer there is no way to adjust the brightness of the monitor.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
In his review of the Studio Display on Six Colors, Jason Snell did confirm the fan, but it looks like it’s not an issue.

”Finally, as you might expect from a device packed with so much different technology, the Studio Display has a fan! Fortunately, it’s whisper-quiet — I needed to put my ear right above the top of the display to hear it, and the air it was blowing in my ear was more noticeable than the sound even then.”

Reactions: ascender

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
I still kinda wish I had gone for the tilt + height adjustable one. but spending 500 more just so it resembles a Pro Display XDR (I honestly have no need for height adjustment) is not justifiable.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
So the reviews are trickling in. It DOES have fans, and the power cable is non-removable. The camera is OK (according to Ars Technica) but may have some bugs that will be fixed in a software update (the Verge).

Man every time I want to throw apple some bail they pull some utterly braindead move like making the power cable non-removable 🤦‍♂️

They proved very effectively with the new iMacs that they can make a super high-quality power cable that's replaceable. I don't get it.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Man every time I want to throw apple some bail they pull some utterly braindead move like making the power cable non-removable 🤦‍♂️

They proved very effectively with the new iMacs that they can make a super high-quality power cable that's replaceable. I don't get it.
DISBELIEF. WTH is Apple thinking? What is the rationale for this? Are we going to get a removable power cable, thinner bezels and a functioning webcam in 2023?

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA

Here is my armchair hypothesis as to why there are so many "concessions" with this display:
  • the redesigned 24-inch iMac was worked on before the Studio Display, hence why it seems like a superior product, with every detail being thought of meticulously.
  • the Studio Display seems to have been thought of at that last minute, hence the use of the 5K 27-inch panel instead of using a Mini-LED panel like in the redesigned MacBook Pros
  • The webcam image processing is **** - again, this display was being worked on at the last minute. Hence, Apple was forced to turn to software updates to try and rectify the problem after the fact.
In all, Apple will never admit it publicly, but I strongly believe that this display was thought of at the last minute, as a way to appease Apple enthusiasts and somehow dwindle the stockpiled supply of those 5K iMac displays that are now going to just go to waste because the 27-inch iMac is now discontinued. They gotta sell these displays somehow and Tim Apple, being the numbers guy that he is, must have thought that letting LG sell these display panels through the Ultrafine product wouldn't get rid of these panels quick enough. Apple then quickly thought of creating a new display, a 1st party display, and came up with this at the last minute. Apple having seen the numbers

Another reason to back up this theory is that now there are rumors saying that Apple will release a "Studio Display Pro" monitor, a 32-inch one that is superior to the Studio Display. Why would Apple want to release another Display so soon after the Studio Display? Obviously, Apple knows that the Studio Display is using old tech, and in order to supersede it, they quickly put together the Studio Display and spent their engineering resources on this new "Studio Display Pro" monitor instead.

As such, I believe that this Studio Display Pro will be the superior monitor: Mini-LED tech, HDR, ProMotion, and the removable/iMac-like magnetic power connector.

Let's see how well this hypothesis ages...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.