Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
I'm pretty worried about this. I would've happily paid the extra $1000, and I'm going to be pissed if that upgrade is introduced so quickly.
same here, for that reason I'll hold the purchase and just buy the mac studio, monitor next, maybe I'll buy a $549 LG or Dell.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
same here, for that reason I'll hold the purchase and just buy the mac studio, monitor next, maybe I'll buy a $549 LG or Dell.
Good call. I purposefully timed my order from Apple to come late May so that I'll be in my return period when WWDC happens... but a big part of me is so tempted to just let Best Buy ship me one next week. Then I'd force myself to save some $$$, but also might not be as completely happy and satisfied with the product as I would be with a mini-LED version.

I'm thinking that the XDR version will be priced out of the stratosphere of the current model - that's the only way it makes sense to have a launch in such close proximity to the original, if there's very little overlap in the intended market and price range. I'm thinking it's going to be $4k+. BUT then again I don't know how they can justify a $2400 mini-LED premium when the iPad Pro / MacBook Pro each got it with a measly $100-$300 bump. Ugh, I don't know.

Reactions: umbilical

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Here is my armchair hypothesis as to why there are so many "concessions" with this display:
  • the redesigned 24-inch iMac was worked on before the Studio Display, hence why it seems like a superior product, with every detail being thought of meticulously.
  • the Studio Display seems to have been thought of at that last minute, hence the use of the 5K 27-inch panel instead of using a Mini-LED panel like in the redesigned MacBook Pros
  • The webcam image processing is **** - again, this display was being worked on at the last minute. Hence, Apple was forced to turn to software updates to try and rectify the problem after the fact.
In all, Apple will never admit it publicly, but I strongly believe that this display was thought of at the last minute, as a way to appease Apple enthusiasts and somehow dwindle the stockpiled supply of those 5K iMac displays that are now going to just go to waste because the 27-inch iMac is now discontinued. They gotta sell these displays somehow and Tim Apple, being the numbers guy that he is, must have thought that letting LG sell these display panels through the Ultrafine product wouldn't get rid of these panels quick enough. Apple then quickly thought of creating a new display, a 1st party display, and came up with this at the last minute. Apple having seen the numbers

Another reason to back up this theory is that now there are rumors saying that Apple will release a "Studio Display Pro" monitor, a 32-inch one that is superior to the Studio Display. Why would Apple want to release another Display so soon after the Studio Display? Obviously, Apple knows that the Studio Display is using old tech, and in order to supersede it, they quickly put together the Studio Display and spent their engineering resources on this new "Studio Display Pro" monitor instead.

As such, I believe that this Studio Display Pro will be the superior monitor: Mini-LED tech, HDR, ProMotion, and the removable/iMac-like magnetic power connector.

Let's see how well this hypothesis ages...

Can Thunderbolt 4 handle 5k ProMotion?

I thought the max bandwidth for Thunderbolt 4 was 8k @ 60 hz.

Reactions: marinersaptcomplex

slainbabyyc

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2021
I'm pretty worried about this. I would've happily paid the extra $1000, and I'm going to be pissed if that upgrade is introduced so quickly.
i'm still not fully decided, but i just sold my ultrafine 5k and i don't totally wanna go back to the same panel in a nicer housing. a youtube vid of the pro xdr and the studio display side by side with a black image on the screens definitely swayed me towards mini-led, but even if i don't get it there will surely be a glut of studio displays hitting ebay the day the studio display pro is released so really i can't lose...

it is kinda crazy to pay an extra hypothetical grand for a slightly nicer image but i feel like i would get a big kick out of it and i do edit videos

Reactions: Cubix

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
Good call. I purposefully timed my order from Apple to come late May so that I'll be in my return period when WWDC happens... but a big part of me is so tempted to just let Best Buy ship me one next week. Then I'd force myself to save some $$$, but also might not be as completely happy and satisfied with the product as I would be with a mini-LED version.

I'm thinking that the XDR version will be priced out of the stratosphere of the current model - that's the only way it makes sense to have a launch in such close proximity to the original, if there's very little overlap in the intended market and price range. I'm thinking it's going to be $4k+. BUT then again I don't know how they can justify a $2400 mini-LED premium when the iPad Pro / MacBook Pro each got it with a measly $100-$300 bump. Ugh, I don't know.

I don't live in USA right now, so return stuff is impossible for me, so I need be totally sure of my purchase, also I'm not and old person but "I don't have more time for shitttt" lol, that means: I don't want buy something to change it soon or later, so I hope buy the studio and an apple monitor to use it for a good amount of years by example: I'm working right now a late 2013 macbook pro, I spend $2K on, so 9 years ($222 per year) a good value, I expect the same of this new studio combo.

Reactions: UltimateSyn

moodler

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2005
Western Australia
First impressions on my Studio Display which arrived today (Australia):

1. Basic display is 100% equivalent to the LG Ultrafine 5K display I replaced. No visible difference.
  2. Overall feel of the design is clean and sturdy (unlike the Ultrafine)
  3. Basic unadjustable stand height is luckily about the right height for me so it works. It was nice to have the capability on the Ultrafine but I guess that contributed to the wobbliness.
  4. The speakers are very good compared to other built-in display speakers, nice spatial presence but very much lacking in low end. They're 30% as good as my professional monitoring speakers that I use to make music, but it will be nice to have as an alternative just to try my mixes on. However, having them BOTH on at the same time (by configuring them as a multi-output device) sounds absolutely amazing (unfortunately it makes controlling the volume difficult). Sigh.
  5. The camera is very disappointing. I really had my hopes up that it would replace my Logitech 4K Brio but no chance. First of all quite grainy. Also there appears to be NO WAY TO ADJUST THE SETTINGS so it just does it's own level adjustments whenever it feels like it, making it USELESS FOR VIDEOCONFERENCING IF YOU USE A GREEN SCREEN (as I do).

So now I still have a 3rd-party webcam sitting on top of my fancy new monitor :-/
View attachment 1975648

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Here is my armchair hypothesis as to why there are so many "concessions" with this display:
  • the redesigned 24-inch iMac was worked on before the Studio Display, hence why it seems like a superior product, with every detail being thought of meticulously.
  • the Studio Display seems to have been thought of at that last minute, hence the use of the 5K 27-inch panel instead of using a Mini-LED panel like in the redesigned MacBook Pros
  • The webcam image processing is **** - again, this display was being worked on at the last minute. Hence, Apple was forced to turn to software updates to try and rectify the problem after the fact.
In all, Apple will never admit it publicly, but I strongly believe that this display was thought of at the last minute, as a way to appease Apple enthusiasts and somehow dwindle the stockpiled supply of those 5K iMac displays that are now going to just go to waste because the 27-inch iMac is now discontinued. They gotta sell these displays somehow and Tim Apple, being the numbers guy that he is, must have thought that letting LG sell these display panels through the Ultrafine product wouldn't get rid of these panels quick enough. Apple then quickly thought of creating a new display, a 1st party display, and came up with this at the last minute. Apple having seen the numbers

Another reason to back up this theory is that now there are rumors saying that Apple will release a "Studio Display Pro" monitor, a 32-inch one that is superior to the Studio Display. Why would Apple want to release another Display so soon after the Studio Display? Obviously, Apple knows that the Studio Display is using old tech, and in order to supersede it, they quickly put together the Studio Display and spent their engineering resources on this new "Studio Display Pro" monitor instead.

As such, I believe that this Studio Display Pro will be the superior monitor: Mini-LED tech, HDR, ProMotion, and the removable/iMac-like magnetic power connector.

Let's see how well this hypothesis ages...

Interesting point. Considering Tim Cook's supply chain wizardry, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some truth to what you're saying.

I too am very curious to see how your hypothesis stands up with time.

moodler

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2005
Western Australia
I hope you're both right, but that really doesn't seem to be the case.

The black circle on the back of the display kinda looks like the flush plugs on the old cinema displays, but I just tried to pull it out and it won't budge, so it may be locked in (unless there's some special trick).

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
So the power cord is removable... You can get the stands swapped at Apple Stores...

Have ordered one for pickup today, will see how I get on with the normal stand as I quite like the minimalist look and want to see how that goes compared to my usual Vesa mount.

Reactions: HelloMikee and KPOM

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Maybe they just forgot to put the glue on Nilay's plug. :) /s

I'm really happy about it, too. I do wonder why everyone else seems to think it's not detachable.

I think it's probably so tightly attached that most people with review units are too apprehensive to pull on it hard enough for fear of Tim waking them up at 4 am with a scythe in his hand.

That, plus the fact that it actually does look like its fixed into the device. You can just look at the iMac's cable and instantly tell that it's removable, but that's definitely not the case here.

slainbabyyc

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2021
So the power cord is removable... You can get the stands swapped at Apple Stores...

Have ordered one for pickup today, will see how I get on with the normal stand as I quite like the minimalist look and want to see how that goes compared to my usual Vesa mount.
Where did you hear that the stands could be swapped?

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020

Do ask them at the store if swapping out the stand will just cost you the price of the new stand, or if you have to pay an additional fee for the actual swapping procedure!

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Do ask them at the store if swapping out the stand will just cost you the price of the new stand, or if you have to pay an additional fee for the actual swapping procedure!
I'll ask, but I doubt the sales people will know and will probably need an appointment to talk to the Genius techs. Given its day one and there only seems to be the standard one available, I'd be surprised if anyone knows yet! I bet one of the tech journalists finds out pretty quickly.

Reactions: Pilot Jones

Androzani

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
Just started using my new Apple Studio display – bought from the local Apple Store this morning with no trouble.

Pro tip (or tip for idiots): the power cord is in a package attached to the back of the screen. It tooks me *ages* to find it. Nearly destroyed the packaging hunting for the damn thing, while the display was sat happily on my desk – back to the wall, cord hidden.

I had a Dell Ultrasharp @ 1440p before, so this is a nice step up. The display is basically an iMac display and looks identical to me. Perhaps stuff like 120MHz / HDR would be nice but don’t really bother me for my use.

Sound is very good, but not truly excellent.

Webcam is hilariously bad as others have noted. But – it does seem to be a software issue. When there’s lots of movement, or e.g. if you switch portrait mode on and off quickly, the picture pixellates badly – it’s as though the connection between camera and computer is really low bandwidth, rather than anything wrong with the camera itself. So, fixable I hope, but doesn’t bother me that much as I don’t have to use it very often.

Very grateful that Centre Stage can be turned off – why would I want a camera panning round to show the mess either side of me? ?

Main complaint, as I’m fairly tall, is that it’s not high enough. I went for the basic tilt stand. The better stand with the height adjustment would have been perfect, but I really can’t justify the extra cost for that, I’d rather just stick a book under the thing.

So, overall good, but doesn’t quite justify the price tag. If the fully adjustable stand had been sold on all models, for the price of the base model, that would have been a fair deal in my opinion.

And hopefully the camera will be fixed soon.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I'll ask, but I doubt the sales people will know and will probably need an appointment to talk to the Genius techs. Given its day one and there only seems to be the standard one available, I'd be surprised if anyone knows yet! I bet one of the tech journalists finds out pretty quickly.

Fair. Hoping for good news eventually, I honestly feel like Apple sort of botched the studio display launch a tiny bit trying to keep that typical mystique instead of being more straightforward about all its pros. This is definitely a product that needs to be worth every dollar and can't afford to be vastly overpriced in the consumer's eye.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Just started using my new Apple Studio display – bought from the local Apple Store this morning with no trouble.

Pro tip (or tip for idiots): the power cord is in a package attached to the back of the screen. It tooks me *ages* to find it. Nearly destroyed the packaging hunting for the damn thing, while the display was sat happily on my desk – back to the wall, cord hidden.

I had a Dell Ultrasharp @ 1440p before, so this is a nice step up. The display is basically an iMac display and looks identical to me. Perhaps stuff like 120MHz / HDR would be nice but don’t really bother me for my use.

Sound is very good, but not truly excellent.

Webcam is hilariously bad as others have noted. But – it does seem to be a software issue. When there’s lots of movement, or e.g. if you switch portrait mode on and off quickly, the picture pixellates badly – it’s as though the connection between camera and computer is really low bandwidth, rather than anything wrong with the camera itself. So, fixable I hope, but doesn’t bother me that much as I don’t have to use it very often.

Very grateful that Centre Stage can be turned off – why would I want a camera panning round to show the mess either side of me? ?

Main complaint, as I’m fairly tall, is that it’s not high enough. I went for the basic tilt stand. The better stand with the height adjustment would have been perfect, but I really can’t justify the extra cost for that, I’d rather just stick a book under the thing.

So, overall good, but doesn’t quite justify the price tag. If the fully adjustable stand had been sold on all models, for the price of the base model, that would have been a fair deal in my opinion.

And hopefully the camera will be fixed soon.

Damn...I mean, I'm glad you're happy with your purchase but I would personally be absolutely livid if I had to prop up my brand new $1600 monitor with a freaking book like I used to with my laptop in college ?

• Haha
Reactions: Androzani
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.