Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
I'm very conflicted about this product.

I'm really happy with:
- the fact Apple has picked up this category. They are now selling 2 displays and they are rumored to release another one soon.
- the price is not outrageous compared to what the current market offers.
- the build quality appears to be top-notch.

I'm disappointed with:
- the tech has really stagnated. They are releasing the same panel from 6-7 years ago. And at the same price point as well. What the hell is going on?
- the size of this thing. I have a hunch this was supposed to be the 27" iMac. It's much too thick compared to the 24" iMac. I think something went wrong and at the last minute they decided to release it as a display only to have something to pair the Mac Studio with. I think the actual display for the Mac Studio is still being worked on and will be released soon. And I think at that point they will also release the 27" iMac in the same enclosure.

If I were to need an external monitor I would get the Studio Display in nano texture with a VESA mount. It's still the best option to pair with a MacBook or any Mac really.
Right now I have an old Dell UP2715K - which is pretty much the same panel. So I'm not compelled to upgrade yet. I will wait for the next one to be released. My guess 30" 5k display with HDR and Pro-Motion in the 2k-3k price range.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
IMG_0208.jpeg
Just got back from the Apple Bristol Cabot Circus store with my new Studio Display and Keyboard. Store was pretty quiet with no queue. Basically went straight up to the click and collect lady. I put my order in at just after 6am this morning when the store stock went live.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
My guess 30" 5k display with HDR and Pro-Motion in the 2k-3k price range.
A 30" 5120×2880 display is very unlikely given Apple's preference for ≈220 PPI on external displays. At 30", resolution has
to be e.g. 5728×3222 (for a 16:9 aspect ratio) to land in that ballpark.

Last edited:
Reactions: WP31

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
anybody with a Studio Display: have a go with some surround-audio on YT. there's some really impressive magic trickery going on with the speakers:

Yep. I agree the speakers are pretty good.

On the Horizon trailer I can hear the Car come from behind and forward and the spaceships fly over the top of my head.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
View attachment 1975751 Just got back from the Apple Bristol Cabot Circus store with my new Studio Display and Keyboard. Store was pretty quiet with no queue. Basically went straight up to the click and collect lady. I put my order in at just after 6am this morning when the store stock went live.

Nice congrats. Was it relatively easy to carry away? I know the box has a handle but what about the weight and the bulk? Was considering doing this too but it's a solid 5 minute walk to the car. Cheers.

Reactions: James_C

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
A good monitor arm is a good investment for life really. They are really sturdy. I have two. Using one with my MacBook now to raise it up.

And they are much better than any stand Apple could release. And cheaper too. And I really like to have the monitor "floating", so I can put stuff underneath.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Nice congrats. Was it relatively easy to carry away? I know the box has a handle but what about the weight and the bulk? Was considering doing this too but it's a solid 5 minute walk to the car. Cheers.

The box is pretty substantial and heavy with the Display in it as well, its pretty hefty. Much heavier than I expected. A 5 min walk and you should be ok, I would not want to walk much more than 10 mins with it.

Reactions: dwsolberg and klky

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Man every time I want to throw apple some bail they pull some utterly braindead move like making the power cable non-removable ?‍♂️

They proved very effectively with the new iMacs that they can make a super high-quality power cable that's replaceable. I don't get it.
Apparently the cable IS removable but it takes some effort.

Reactions: CoffeeMacBook

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Checked Apple Stores locally and found ALL of them had the base display instock!

Cancelled online order.

Picking up today at 11:30am !

No nano + height adjustable display anywhere just like my Genius rep said last week!

Screenshot 2022-03-18 at 5.24.22 AM.jpg

Reactions: Norre8

Jdusofbf

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2022
Did someone grab a VESA Studio Display for same day pick up in store? Just seeing the tilt stand so far, and was wishing to get one with the VESA mount

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Main complaint, as I’m fairly tall, is that it’s not high enough. I went for the basic tilt stand. The better stand with the height adjustment would have been perfect, but I really can’t justify the extra cost for that, I’d rather just stick a book under the thing.
I am 6 foot 3 and concerned about the height as well. What is your height if I can ask?

I got this just in case.

Last edited:

RobTuck

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
UK
For those curious (sorry if someone has already mentioned), but I tried connecting my Studio Display to my work Windows PC laptop, which is a Lenovo X1 Yoga, and it works almost perfectly.

Charges the laptop.
Webcam works fine with the Microsoft default driver, and is picked up as supporting 1080/30fps. Looks fine.
Speakers work fine including volume control (although Windows shows a driver error)
Microphone works fine
Screen looks great in Windows 10, but it refuses to let me use the maximum resolution of 5120x2880. I can only choose 3840x2160 in both clamshell and extended desktop. This could just be a driver issue though, and it looks fine at this resolution.
Devices connected to the USB-C ports on the display work just fine.
Unable to change the brightness within Windows. The monitor is detected as a "Generic PnP Monitor", so this could change with a driver update.

I'm really happy with this monitor. It was important to me to be able to use it with my M1 MBP, and my Windows PC laptop. The early reports suggested that it would be a compromise at best using it with a PC, but thats just not true in my experience so far.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Damn...I mean, I'm glad you're happy with your purchase but I would personally be absolutely livid if I had to prop up my brand new $1600 monitor with a freaking book like I used to with my laptop in college ?
It appears the stores have the tilt and tilt-and-height stands but not the VESA mounts in stock.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Here is my armchair hypothesis as to why there are so many "concessions" with this display:
  • the redesigned 24-inch iMac was worked on before the Studio Display, hence why it seems like a superior product, with every detail being thought of meticulously.
  • the Studio Display seems to have been thought of at that last minute, hence the use of the 5K 27-inch panel instead of using a Mini-LED panel like in the redesigned MacBook Pros
  • The webcam image processing is **** - again, this display was being worked on at the last minute. Hence, Apple was forced to turn to software updates to try and rectify the problem after the fact.
In all, Apple will never admit it publicly, but I strongly believe that this display was thought of at the last minute, as a way to appease Apple enthusiasts and somehow dwindle the stockpiled supply of those 5K iMac displays that are now going to just go to waste because the 27-inch iMac is now discontinued. They gotta sell these displays somehow and Tim Apple, being the numbers guy that he is, must have thought that letting LG sell these display panels through the Ultrafine product wouldn't get rid of these panels quick enough. Apple then quickly thought of creating a new display, a 1st party display, and came up with this at the last minute. Apple having seen the numbers

Another reason to back up this theory is that now there are rumors saying that Apple will release a "Studio Display Pro" monitor, a 32-inch one that is superior to the Studio Display. Why would Apple want to release another Display so soon after the Studio Display? Obviously, Apple knows that the Studio Display is using old tech, and in order to supersede it, they quickly put together the Studio Display and spent their engineering resources on this new "Studio Display Pro" monitor instead.

As such, I believe that this Studio Display Pro will be the superior monitor: Mini-LED tech, HDR, ProMotion, and the removable/iMac-like magnetic power connector.

Let's see how well this hypothesis ages...
so in theory when does this come out and how much will it be? $1,599 is a ridiculous price tag

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.