Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Update: New Version 1.2, should improve crash handling; Formatting + There is a new Utility that can control the Studio Display without installing Bootcamp made by Chris_Poland

Latest Version: LINK

Click expand to show all the instructions:
Hello again!

I have finally finished working on the app. I named it "Studio Display Brightness Controller". The application does not require BootCamp installation. You can use it to control the brightness of the Studio Display. The application uses the built-in ambient light sensor and updates the brightness of the monitor in real time.

I am in touch with kreasu_ who will update the main post in this thread shortly with all the information needed to install the app.

I encourage everyone who likes the app to click the "Buy me a coffee" button :)

Regards!
Chris

Install library "libusb-win32" from here:
DOWNLOAD
This is the library I use to communicate with the monitor via USB.

After installation run program: Filter Wizard (found in libusb-win32-bin-1.4.0.0\bin\amd64\install-filter-win.exe)
Then select: Install a device filter
Select: "vid:05ac pid:1114 rev:0201 mi:08" and click Install
This step will install the driver needed to operate the monitor.

RESTART COMPUTER, THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT OR IT WILL NOT WORK

Download main program "Studio Display Brightness Controller" from here:
DOWNLOAD

Unzip file: StudioDisplayBrightnessController.zip
Run program StudioDisplayBrightnessController.exe

That's all!

Note: If your ambient brightness value is 0 and doesn't change, (we're still looking into this bug) you can install SensorInfo and open it (keep it open, do not minimize) and it should fix it.

Additional information:
1. Studio Display Brightness Controller is an application that automatically controls the brightness of the Studio Display monitor using the built-in ambient light sensor. The application has been tested and works properly with a monitor that has firmware version 16.4. The author is not responsible for the operation of the application with firmware versions other than 16.4. The author has made every effort to ensure that the application works properly, however, he is not responsible for any damage caused by the incorrect use of this application.

2. The application was tested with a monitor that was connected via a USB-C cable and a Thunderbolt interface.

3. The application has not been tested with two monitors connected.

4. The dash under the monitor picture in the main application window is green, if the application is connected to the monitor and works properly. If it is red, it means that the application is not connected to the monitor.

5. After disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor to the computer, it may take up to one minute for the auto-brightness feature to reactivate.

6. Left-clicking on the program icon in the tray shows/hides the main application window. Right-clicking on the program icon in the tray displays a menu from which you can launch additional options.

7. The ambient light sensor is located in the upper left corner of the monitor under the black frame.

Note: I couldn't get it to work on a fresh install of windows 10 until I installed all the updates (particularly I installed the chipset, thunderbolt and all the USB hub drivers), if you're having trouble make sure that you have .NET framework 4.7.2 installed

Another tip: If you're still having trouble with both values being at 0, sometimes the studio display doesn't wake up the ambient sensor, and it needs to be plugged into another apple device to wake it up, like an iPad or a macbook etc. Sometimes opening the bootcamp control panel can help with that but I've had mixed success with that.

To Open on startup:
Run it through task scheduler instead of putting a shortcut in the startup folder:

1) Windows + R to open the Run Command: taskschd.msc
2) Inside task scheduler on the right column click New Task (Basic)
3) In the main config, MAKE SURE RUN WITH HIGHESTPRIVILEGES is checked ON

View attachment 2211149

4) In triggers click new and set the trigger to "At Log On"
View attachment 2211150
5) In Action click New and change the action to Start a program, then browse to the brightness controller.
View attachment 2211152

-----------LEGACY BOOT CAMP INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS-----------
I DID IT

I INSTALLED A REAL BRIGHTNESS CONTROLLER!

I can also switch reference presets View attachment 1991997

Guide:
  1. Download brigader.exe from: https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier/releases/tag/0.2.6
  2. install python 2.7 from https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2718/
  3. open CMD in admin
  4. the following command requires some experimentation with the iMac models to make sure you get the latest version of bootcamp, making sure to replace [pathto] to your downloaded file, type [pathto]\brigadier.exe --m MacPro7,1
  5. This will download the bootcamp drivers to your user folder C:\Users\[nameofwindowsuser]\bootcamp(something something version)
  6. Delete the extra drivers you don't want to install, namely all non-apple related drivers.
    in $WinPEDriver$ only have:
    View attachment 1991998
  7. and then in \BootCamp-002-34411\BootCamp\Drivers
    keep only Apple and Promise folders
  8. run in cmd (admin) msiexec /i C:\Users\[nameofwindowsuser]\BootCamp- whatever version \BootCamp\Drivers\Apple\BootCamp.msi
  9. install, then restart
  10. be noted this will rename your C drive to bootcamp, i'm pretty sure you have to keep it that way otherwise the bootcamp control panel will not open
  11. If you have an issue with the panel not opening due to startup disk access open it using admin CMD:
    runas /trustlevel:0x20000 /machine:amd64 "C:\Windows\System32\AppleControlPanel.exe"
  12. if you need to uninstall to try a different version of bootcamp (if your display isn't detected) then right click the bootcamp MSI file and click 'uninstall'
  13. if you have a WDF error bluescreen bootloop, boot into safemode and rename 'MacHalDriver.sys' to 'MacHalDriver.sys.bak' inside the C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder
  14. You also need to delete the registry:
    1. Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
    2. Move to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MacHalDriver
    3. Delete the folder
  15. You should also delete the service that tries to run MacHalDriver. This is only an issue really on Windows 11
Old Info:

So I've been working really hard to test out the ASD on windows. I'd like to share some information:

• UPDATE: I found a way to control the brightness and reference modes! Please click check this post in the other thread
  • I've been able to have the display run in 4k 60hz on USB C (non-thunderbolt) devices (even a surface go worked) but to get speakers, mic and camera to work you need to be able to also interface with it as a USB 2.0 hub
  • The ASUS Thunderbolt Ex4 add in card DOES NOT work, it will not wake up the display, likely due to the bad implementation of Thunderbolt (no usb 3.0, no gigabit ethernet, its really picky)
  • I am currently using a 3090 GPU with an ASUS ProArt B550 Board, but any of the motherboards that have thunderbolt and a display input should work.
  • The Wacom Link Plus does not work, and the Moshi Cable will carry a display signal, but you lose the ability to use the camera and speakers Edit: apparently this does work if you use the moshi cable and plug it into the wacom link plus, but you won't get full resolution output
  • GSync Works
    2022-03-22 00_22_12-#1.jpg
  • I can output 12 bpc color depth using the Nvida Control Panel
    1647933781768.png
  • You don't need to install bootcamp drivers to get it to work. (at least not after updating the firmware to 15.4) but you do if you want brightness control to work
  • HDR does not work on windows
  • Speakers are 2.0, 5.1 Spatial Audio does not work
  • of course center stage and siri does not work
  • ClickMonitorDDC, which worked on the LG UltraFine 5K, does not appear to work on the Studio Display
My tests were run on:

Surface Go
Asus Duo 14"
AMD 5950x + 3090 w/ x570 Prime Pro | Strix Gaming-A B550 | B550 Asus ProArt

Last edited:

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Thanks for sharing your findings.

Could you list the GPU those systems have? And which cables you have tried?

I replaced the thunderbolt cable the display came with (because it was glitching) with the cable below:

The Asus Zenbook Duo14 has integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics on a Intel Core™ i7-1165G7 Processor
The Surface Go 2 has integrated Intel® UHD Graphics 615 on it's Intel Pentium Gold Processor 4425Y

I'm getting a Moshi Cable in today to try

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I replaced the thunderbolt cable the display came with (because it was glitching) with the cable below:

The Asus Zenbook Duo14 has integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics on a Intel Core™ i7-1165G7 Processor
The Surface Go 2 has integrated Intel® UHD Graphics 615 on it's Intel Pentium Gold Processor 4425Y

I'm getting a Moshi Cable in today to try
I use an active 2m Thunderbolt 4 cable on my work notebook (HP EliteBook with UHD 630 graphics). The included cable does not work. The Thunderbolt 4 cable lets me use the ASD as a 4K display in Windows, and gives me access to the camera and speakers. Like you, I found that ClickMonitorDDC does not work.

With a passive 1m Thunderbolt 4 cable, I was briefly able to get 5K working, but it would display only on either the notebook screen or the ASD, and not both.

Reactions: Amethyst1

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Both of my thunderbolt devices were able to display the full resolution 5k@60hz but the Surface Go 2 was only able to do 4k @60hz, I suspect this might be a GPU limitation as the UHD 615 cannot output more than 4k.

I wanted to add a note, (in case anyone wanted to try that ProArt b550 board) that you must update the BIOS of the motherboard to update the thunderbolt firmware. After the thunderbolt firmware update I was able to get all of the USB C ports along with the speakers camera mic working.

I suspect the reason that one additional reason Thunderbolt Ex4 card does not work is because it has an outdated thunderbolt firmware.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Both of my thunderbolt devices were able to display the full resolution 5k@60hz but the Surface Go 2 was only able to do 4k @60hz, I suspect this might be a GPU limitation as the UHD 615 cannot output more than 4k.
Only 10th-gen and later Intel CPUs have iGPUs with DisplayPort 1.4 and single-tile 5120×2880 60 Hz output capability (and DSC to boot). Thus, the Iris Xe can do it; the UHD 615 cannot.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011

I wanted to add a note, (in case anyone wanted to try that ProArt b550 board) that you must update the BIOS of the motherboard to update the thunderbolt firmware. After the thunderbolt firmware update I was able to get all of the USB C ports along with the speakers camera mic working.

I suspect the reason that one additional reason Thunderbolt Ex4 card does not work is because it has an outdated thunderbolt firmware.

I appreciate your testing. I also have the ASUS Thunderbolt4 EX card, as well as a Surface Go 2. Did you try the 1.41.1193.0 firmware for the TB4 card here?

Although I'm primarily Mac, I am building new SFF/ITX Windows PC, and I have an Nvidia RTX-3090 that I'd like to use in conjunction with the Studio Display, I'm just not sure the best way to go about doing that. Assuming that I keep one TB4/USB-C cable connected to the Studio Display, I'd like to unplug that and connect it into the RTX-3090.

One way to do it would be to get a Z690 motherboard that has TB4 output and a DP input, which I would feed from the RTX-3090. But an applicable motherboard would be $400, I'd prefer some way to connect it directly to the RTX-3090.

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Only 10th-gen and later Intel CPUs have iGPUs with DisplayPort 1.4 and single-tile 5120×2880 60 Hz output capability (and DSC to boot). Thus, the Iris Xe can do it; the UHD 615 cannot.
Do the AMD 5600G/5700G APUs provide for DP 1.4 with 5K DSC?

royas

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2020
Regarding adjusting brightness on Windows, I hope its just this specific program ClickMonitorDDC that does not work. Maybe try this one?https://github.com/emoacht/Monitorian

However, I doubt it. I imagine that Apple has not even bothered implementing the DDC protocol or specifically decided against it.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
This suggests they do.
Interesting. In addition the SFF PC build I referenced above, I also have another ITX Windows build with Ryzen 3 5300G APU and ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 motherboard. I just ordered the Club 3D HDMI to DisplayPort 1.2 4K60Hz M/F Active Adapter with the goal of piping the HDMI output from the APU into the DP-input on the motherboard, and out of the TB3 port into my Pro Display XDR.

^^ If this works with my XDR, I think we can assume this cable/combo works with the Studio Display, as well.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
I appreciate your testing. I also have the ASUS Thunderbolt4 EX card, as well as a Surface Go 2. Did you try the 1.41.1193.0 firmware for the TB4 card here?

Although I'm primarily Mac, I am building new SFF/ITX Windows PC, and I have an Nvidia RTX-3090 that I'd like to use in conjunction with the Studio Display, I'm just not sure the best way to go about doing that. Assuming that I keep one TB4/USB-C cable connected to the Studio Display, I'd like to unplug that and connect it into the RTX-3090.

One way to do it would be to get a Z690 motherboard that has TB4 output and a DP input, which I would feed from the RTX-3090. But an applicable motherboard would be $400, I'd prefer some way to connect it directly to the RTX-3090.
@BeatCrazy Yes I did, I tried multiple different drivers, even going as far as to completely reinstall Windows 11 between drivers while troubleshooting the thunderbolt Ex4. I think the issue is that it doesn't support USB 3.0 and it causes some sort of handshaking issue that won't turn on the display.
Regarding adjusting brightness on Windows, I hope its just this specific program ClickMonitorDDC that does not work. Maybe try this one?https://github.com/emoacht/Monitorian

However, I doubt it. I imagine that Apple has not even bothered implementing the DDC protocol or specifically decided against it.
This doesn't not work either. Already tried that haha.

Interesting. In addition the SFF PC build I referenced above, I also have another ITX Windows build with Ryzen 3 5300G APU and ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 motherboard. I just ordered the Club 3D HDMI to DisplayPort 1.2 4K60Hz M/F Active Adapter with the goal of piping the HDMI output from the APU into the DP-input on the motherboard, and out of the TB3 port into my Pro Display XDR.

^^ If this works with my XDR, I think we can assume this cable/combo works with the Studio Display, as well.
If you're using integrated graphics on the 5300g, you don't need to output, it'll just pull your displayport stream straight from the APU

UPDATE:

I have confirmed that the MOSHI CABLE works for full 5k resolution straight from DisplayPort (of my RTX 3090) to the studio display. This includes all of the other stuff, GSYNC 12bp all works as well.

The only issue with the above is that there is No Sound (because sound is handled through USB) and the camera and mic don't work (of course), but it's good to know that if I want to use a second one (since the ProArt B550 board only has one DP IN port) I can just use the Moshi Cable.

I tried using DisplayLink Manager (which is usually what I use to control brightness on most monitors) through the moshi cable and that doesn't work either.
1647980784494.png

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Why are you going to be using the HDMI output? Does the Thunderbolt 3 port not carry any DisplayPort signals?
For the motherboard I'm using, you have to feed some signal into a DP input which is then muxed into the TB3 port output. I'm going to use that cable to feed the HDMI output from the onboard APU to have a single-cable solution (TB3) out to the monitor.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
@BeatCrazy

If you're using integrated graphics on the 5300g, you don't need to output, it'll just pull your displayport stream straight from the APU
That didn't seem to work when I tried outputting TB3 from the 5300G APU into my USB-C monitor. I guess you have to manually mux a DP signal into the TB3 signal. Seems like Intel does this natively (at least with 11th+ gen), but AMD does not.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
@BeatCrazy

UPDATE:

I have confirmed that the MOSHI CABLE works for full 5k resolution straight from DisplayPort (of my RTX 3090) to the studio display. This includes all of the other stuff, GSYNC 12bp all works as well.

The only issue with the above is that there is No Sound (because sound is handled through USB) and the camera and mic don't work (of course), but it's good to know that if I want to use a second one (since the ProArt B550 board only has one DP IN port) I can just use the Moshi Cable.

I tried using DisplayLink Manager (which is usually what I use to control brightness on most monitors) through the moshi cable and that doesn't work either.
View attachment 1978723
I imagine the Belkin VR Huawei cable would give you full functionality because it has USB for transporting sound.

I do have one of these, but it's still in the box somewhere.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
That didn't seem to work when I tried outputting TB3 from the 5300G APU into my USB-C monitor. I guess you have to manually mux a DP signal into the TB3 signal.
Interesting — and a bit of a disappointment. Maybe the TB3 port doesn’t do USB-C DisplayPort Alterate Mode? (I admit I’m just guessing.)

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Interesting — and a bit of a disappointment. Maybe the TB3 port doesn’t do USB-C DisplayPort Alterate Mode? (I admit I’m just guessing.)

Yeah that's my hypothesis, and can confirm once my Club 3D cable arrives. Meaning, I fully expect DP muxing/USB-C DP Alt-mode via TB3 by using this the cable. So, it should work with the Studio Display/XDR.

I think Thunderbolt-equipped boards for Intel CPUs have muxed in DisplayPort from the iGPU since day one.
Now that you mention it, that makes sense, since I can directly output iGPU signal via TB3 on a 8th gen Intel Lenovo workstation I have, in addition to my 11th gen Framework laptop. 11th gen was the first that didn't need an extra TB controller chip in addition to the CPU.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Meaning, I fully expect DP muxing/USB-C DP Alt-mode via TB3 by using this the cable. So, it should work with the Studio Display/XDR.
If you don't mind being limited to 4K60...

Do you have a way to confirm whether the Studio Display can do DSC and whether it's working for you? (The fact you can choose 12 bpc suggests it is but a definite answer would be nice.)

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Intel GPUs since at least Sky Lake (Intel HD Graphics 530) can do 5K output. Apple added 5K support only for Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake and later (starting from macOS Big Sur)
Can you select 6bpc in Windows for Intel GPU? Then maybe you can get 5K60. You can also try creating a custom resolution of 5K 30Hz. The LG UltraFine 5K could do single tile up to 5K 39Hz. The Studio Display might be able to do 5K 8bpc up to 45Hz with just a HBR2 connection. The best way to add custom timings might be to use CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) but the Intel, AMD, and Nvidia software may have their own methods of adding a custom timing. (I think the AMD software was broken because it wouldn't let you choose bpc with custom timings created by its software - that's why I suggest CRU).

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Interestingly, Intel's UHD Graphics Control Panel can adjust the brightness and contrast of the Apple Studio Display in Windows 10.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Do you have a way to confirm whether the Studio Display can do DSC and whether it's working for you? (The fact you can choose 12 bpc suggests it is but a definite answer would be nice.)
You need a method to do DisplayPort DPCD reading using some kind of I2C api to check if DSC is supported and being used. I made AllRez for macOS to do that.
Maybe the info is in GPU-Z Advanced Tab? But different drivers may report different info in the Advanced Tab (much like in macOS where different GPUs/drivers report different amounts of info in AGDCDiagnose output).

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Interestingly, Intel's UHD Graphics Control Panel can adjust the brightness and contrast of the Apple Studio Display in Windows 10.
Hm, I wasn't able to do it in mine, the brightness settings only affect video, and don't actually lower the brightness, but maybe there is hope through a new third party application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.