Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I'm trying to use it on a work computer that doesn't run Mac OS, therefore not boot camp, thought about installing hackintosh to do it but the dimmer program works well enough
There are ways to install Boot Camp Windows drivers on non-Macs but I don't know exactly what they are.
https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier

I think you need Boot Camp Update 6.1.17 to get support for the Studio Display
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-updates-boot-camp-to-support-studio-display.2338740/

Reactions: Amethyst1

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
There are ways to install Boot Camp Windows drivers on non-Macs but I don't know exactly what they are.
https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier

I think you need Boot Camp Update 6.1.17 to get support for the Studio Display
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-updates-boot-camp-to-support-studio-display.2338740/
I installed that actually, but I can't open the control panel, it throws an error saying that it can't access the startup settings, which makes sense because I'm not running the opencore uefi

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
DisplayPort 1.4 is a given. As for DSC — this suggests yes.

Yeah that's my hypothesis, and can confirm once my Club 3D cable arrives. Meaning, I fully expect DP muxing/USB-C DP Alt-mode via TB3 by using this the cable. So, it should work with the Studio Display/XDR.
Just reporting back in here to confirm that my Windows machine with Ryzen 3 5300G APU in a ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 motherboard and Club 3D HDMI to DisplayPort 1.2 4K60Hz M/F Active Adapter supports 4K on the Pro Display XDR, so I assume it works with the Apple Studio Display as well. It does not, there is a lot of flicker (unusable) when connecting this PC to the Apple Studio Display.
IMG_0740.jpeg

Last edited:

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022

adogwithacat

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
I guess the TB3 outputs 4k only. I don't know if any other parts are compatible with full 5k, at least the signal is from HDMI on the motherboard, which "Supports HDMI 2.0 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2160) @ 60Hz" according to the motherboard introduction.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Does your TB3 output the full 5k or only 4k?

I was interested in making an ITX SFF build but I was wondering about this

I guess the TB3 outputs 4k only. I don't know if any other parts are compatible with full 5k, at least the signal is from HDMI on the motherboard, which "Supports HDMI 2.0 with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (4096x2160) @ 60Hz" according to the motherboard introduction.
Yeah it's hard to say why I max out at 4K60. Looking further at the Club 3D cable specs, it only supports DisplayPort 1.2, which is 4K60. I'd need DSC (somehow) in order to get above that. I'm sure I could do that with a GPU, but I was hoping to keep this to an ITX build with iGPU/APU.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Yeah it's hard to say why I max out at 4K60. […]
HDMI 2.0 can’t do more than that. It maxes out at 600 MHz pixel clock, can’t do timings wider than 4096 pixels (AFAIK) and doesn’t support DSC. You need HDMI 2.1 to smash all these barriers.
And you’d also need a HDMI 2.1 to DisplayPort 1.4 adapter…

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Yeah it's hard to say why I max out at 4K60. Looking further at the Club 3D cable specs, it only supports DisplayPort 1.2, which is 4K60. I'd need DSC (somehow) in order to get above that. I'm sure I could do that with a GPU, but I was hoping to keep this to an ITX build with iGPU/APU.
DisplayPort 1.2 has a bandwidth limit (HBR2 x4) but not a resolution limit. It can do 5K60 with 6bpc for example but it depends on the GPU and drivers. It could do 8K if you had a display that supported 21Hz (depends on GPU and drivers).

HDMI 2.0 can’t do more than that. It maxes out at 600 MHz pixel clock, can’t do timings wider than 4096 pixels (AFAIK) and doesn’t support DSC. You need HDMI 2.1 to smash all these barriers.
And you’d also need a HDMI 2.1 to DisplayPort 1.4 adapter…
HDMI 2.0 can do pixel clock 1200 MHz with 4:2:0 chroma sub sampling (good enough for 8K 30Hz). It can also do widths wider than 4K.
What doesn't exist yet is an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter that can do widths greater than 4K.
https://insights.club-3d.com/thread/hdmi-2-1-to-usb-c-displayport-1-4-alt-mode/

m2e

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2022
I haven't had any luck getting it to work with my Windows set up and was wondering if anyone else had luck with a similar set up or knows which part of this is incompatible?
Graphics Card: Auros GTX 1080 TI (Xtreme Edition 11G)
Motherboard: GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
Thunderbolt add in card: Gigabyte Alpine Ridge
Windows 10
I have this PC working at full native resolution with my LG Ultrafine 5k, but no luck so far with the Studio Display. The new display works (super low res) while Windows is booting up but goes black before the log in screen turns up. Going to the display settings in Windows says "Display 2 isn't active" and changing any settings to extend desktop or show only on the studio display just end up with an error saying the settings couldn't be saved.

Other notes:
- Sound is working fine out of my Studio Display
- Disconnecting the LG Ultrafine 5k doesn’t seem to help
- I’ve installed boot camp drivers using brigadier
- I’ve reinstalled Windows, but no luck
- I’ve tried a few different cables I have that work with the Ultrafine 5k

I'm not Windows expert so I can't figure out how to determine what could be causing the issue. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• AdvancedDisplaySettings.jpg
    AdvancedDisplaySettings.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 115
  • DisplaySettings.jpg
    DisplaySettings.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 103
  • ThunderboltVersions.jpg
    ThunderboltVersions.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 120
  • GeneralSetUp.jpg
    GeneralSetUp.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 124

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
I haven't had any luck getting it to work with my Windows set up and was wondering if anyone else had luck with a similar set up or knows which part of this is incompatible?

I have this PC working at full native resolution with my LG Ultrafine 5k, but no luck so far with the Studio Display. The new display works (super low res) while Windows is booting up but goes black before the log in screen turns up. Going to the display settings in Windows says "Display 2 isn't active" and changing any settings to extend desktop or show only on the studio display just end up with an error saying the settings couldn't be saved.

Other notes:

I'm not Windows expert so I can't figure out how to determine what could be causing the issue. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
It's seemingly really picky with the thunderbolt firmware version I know I had issues with my thunderbolt add in card

m2e

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2022
It's seemingly really picky with the thunderbolt firmware version I know I had issues with my thunderbolt add in card
Thanks for the tip @kreasu_. From what I can gather:
  • The latest firmware available for my Gigabyte add in card is NVM 21 (so nothing to update) and apparently you can't just take a higher NVM version from a different manufacturer as that would brick the card
  • Drivers on the other hand seem to be more generic from Intel and so you don't have to rely on what your manufacturer has made available. So I got the latest from Intel (1.41.1193.0) even though it was supposedly for their NUCs. But still no luck getting this display to work after updating.
  • Apparently thunderbolt drivers used to have versions like 16.x or 17.x, but now they've reset things so 1.41 is actually newer than those higher numbers.

Not sure if there's a hole in my thinking somewhere in there...

adogwithacat

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
The most confusing thing to me is the Studio Display didn't work even if the LG Ultrafine 5K was disconnected. A quick question, was the LG Ultrafine 5K disconnected completely, including power cable, usb-c cable?

Here's some information I've heard:
1. 1080TI supports DP 1.2, no DSC.
2. The Studio Display supports DP 1.2, with DSC.
3. The LG Ultrafine 5K supports DP 1.2, no DSC. (It needs two DP connections for 5K)

Anyway, I think one 1080TI can't drive two monitors with 5K, either because The LG Ultrafine 5K needs two DP connections, or because the bandwidth is not enough. But why does single Studio Display not work? I have no idea. Suppose it should be 4K.

Can you try
1. Shutdown the PC
2. Disconnect the LG Ultrafine 5K completely
3. Connect the Studio Display
4. Power on the PC

If still not work, maybe connect the USB-C cable to another USB-C port on the motherboard?

Last edited:
Reactions: m2e

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012

Other notes:

You can't connect any other display to the same Thunderbolt controller if the first display is an LG UltraFine 5K. Redo your tests without the LG UltraFine 5K connected.

The Apple Studio Display requires HBR2+DSC for 5K60 or it requires two DisplayPort HBR2 connections like the LG UltraFine 5K. It does not support HBR3 (but neither does the Alpine Ridge).

The 1080 TI supports DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3, no DSC.

Extract the EDID of the Apple Studio Display using CRU. Does CRU show two connections? Post the results here. If you can't get dual DisplayPort connection to work, then maybe you need to remove the 5K timing from the EDID? But before you do that, see if you can get 5K60 using 6bpc.

If you had two GC ALPINE RIDGE, maybe you could connect the LG UltraFine 5K to one and the Apple Studio Display to the other. You would need four DisplayPort connections. I don't think the 1080TI has that many, but maybe you could use two DisplayPort 1.4 MST hubs to double the DisplayPort connections. You would be limited to 5K 60Hz 8bpc since the 1080TI doesn't support DSC. Otherwise, a DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub can decompress DSC to produce the uncompressed HBR2 outputs.

Which version of the LG UltraFine 5K do you have? The 27MD5KL can use a non-Thunderbolt or 20 Gbps connection which only uses up one DisplayPort connection. It allows 4K60. It may allow 5K39 8bpc.

I don't know yet what the max pixel clock of the Apple Studio display is using a non-Thunderbolt or 20 Gbps connection. It might allow more than 39Hz for 5K 8bpc (up to 47 Hz?).

Reactions: m2e and Amethyst1

Jack25

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Can you only use the Thunderbolt cable to connect the Windows to the Studio Display?

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Can you only use the Thunderbolt cable to connect the Windows to the Studio Display?
Thunderbolt 4 can do two, thunderbolt 3 can do one, but you can also use the moshi displayport to usb c cable, you just lose the hub, speakers camera and mic functionality

Jack25

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Thunderbolt 4 can do two, thunderbolt 3 can do one, but you can also use the moshi displayport to usb c cable, you just lose the hub, speakers camera and mic functionality
Thanks!

Still quite new to using a monitor rather than an all in one, but is it possible to connect a Windows Laptop (through USB-C) and a Mac (thought thunderbolt) to the same display at once, and if so, how would you go about switching between them?

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Thanks!

Still quite new to using a monitor rather than an all in one, but is it possible to connect a Windows Laptop (through USB-C) and a Mac (thought thunderbolt) to the same display at once, and if so, how would you go about switching between them?
The studio display unfortunately only has one input cable, there's another thread about a thunderbolt based kvm but I don't know if you can actually buy that device. You most likely have to plug cables back and forth

Jack25

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
The studio display unfortunately only has one input cable, there's another thread about a thunderbolt based kvm but I don't know if you can actually buy that device. You most likely have to plug cables back and forth
How very Apple!

Okay thanks a lot for the responses anyway.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
You can't connect any other display to the same Thunderbolt controller if the first display is an LG UltraFine 5K. Redo your tests without the LG UltraFine 5K connected.

The Apple Studio Display requires HBR2+DSC for 5K60 or it requires two DisplayPort HBR2 connections like the LG UltraFine 5K. It does not support HBR3 (but neither does the Alpine Ridge).

The 1080 TI supports DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3, no DSC.

Extract the EDID of the Apple Studio Display using CRU. Does CRU show two connections? Post the results here. If you can't get dual DisplayPort connection to work, then maybe you need to remove the 5K timing from the EDID? But before you do that, see if you can get 5K60 using 6bpc.

If you had two GC ALPINE RIDGE, maybe you could connect the LG UltraFine 5K to one and the Apple Studio Display to the other. You would need four DisplayPort connections. I don't think the 1080TI has that many, but maybe you could use two DisplayPort 1.4 MST hubs to double the DisplayPort connections. You would be limited to 5K 60Hz 8bpc since the 1080TI doesn't support DSC. Otherwise, a DisplayPort 1.4 MST hub can decompress DSC to produce the uncompressed HBR2 outputs.

Which version of the LG UltraFine 5K do you have? The 27MD5KL can use a non-Thunderbolt or 20 Gbps connection which only uses up one DisplayPort connection. It allows 4K60. It may allow 5K39 8bpc.

I don't know yet what the max pixel clock of the Apple Studio display is using a non-Thunderbolt or 20 Gbps connection. It might allow more than 39Hz for 5K 8bpc (up to 47 Hz?).
Assuming I was OK with 4K resolution, wouldn't the Club 3D HDMI to USB Type-C active cable used with virtually any Windows PC (with HDMI output) work with the Apple Studio Display?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.