Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adogwithacat

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
Would love to see a summary of what works via USB-C DP Alt-Mode and via TB4. I have a PC with an RTX 3080 Ti. It also has TB4 but from what I can tell, the TB4 video seems to be wired directly to the UHD 770 iGPU, so the 3080's DP output would be the preferred path to ensure maximum performance. I do have the Huawei VR 2 cable as well as a bidirectional DP to USB-C cable in my cable box from past experiments with the LG monitors. Will 5K@60Hz DSC work? I saw in a previous post that G-Sync actually worked? I'm not particularly worried about webcam and audio although those are nice to haves. Sounds like brightness does not work but will stay with what was last set from the Mac?
3080TI does support DSC. And if you don't care about data, you might try a DP to USB-C 8K cable to get 5K@60Hz.

Reactions: edanuff

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Tomorrow I'll do some tests with a Dell UP2715K connected to a Nvidia 1070 to see where the second DisplayPort connection appears (if anywhere)...
I wrote some stuff in the wrong thread:

Just to report here, maybe helps, I have a ThinkPad T460s w10 laptop from work with:
Intel HD Graphics 520
Max resolution:
3840x2160@60Hz (DisplayPort via Mini DisplayPort)
4096x2160@24Hz (HDMI)

Not sure what DP version is, probably 1.2.
Note the HDMI is 24Hz and no info of resolution at 60 Hz of the Studio Display.
For DisplayPort, I would try a custom timing of 5120x2880@43Hz (or whatever the highest refresh rate that is allowed by the Intel Graphics Command Center using CVT-RB timings)

Connecting this at HDMI port with Club3d CAC-1331 HDMI to DisplayPort plus Amazon Basics Bidirectional USB-C to Display Port.
Result:
- no audio, no camera, no microphone.
- brightness and contrast control not in Windows but in Intel Graphics Settings possible
- max 1900 x 1080
For HDMI, I would use a CAC-1332 which includes a USB 2.0 (not the CAC-1333) input that may allow audio, camera, microphone. SIIG has a similar adapter as the CAC-1332 if you can't find it.
It is limited to HDMI 1.4, so I would try a 5120x2880@22Hz mode but that refresh rate might be too low for the display (the EDID doesn't specify frequency range limits).
Other modes to try for HDMI 1.4: 4096x2304@34Hz

The ZBooks (Quadro P1000 GPUs), according to their specs, have TB3 and DisplayPort 1.3 support and can support plenty of displays including 5K resolutions.
Apple Studio Display doesn't support HBR3 link rate. It's either dual HBR2 (Thunderbolt 40 Gbps) or HBR2 or HBR2+DSC. DSC is only exists in newer DisplayPort 1.4 capable GPUs (not RX 580 or GTX 1080 for example).

Alas, the PC laptops were completely incompatible with the display at first. Using the Apple included TB3 cable, everything was dead:
- No display
- No USB, speaker, mic, camera

Hoping to not give up the idea entirely, I tried the iVanky 20Gbps USB 3.2 cable suggested here. This allowed:
- 4k60 8b display success -- no lock at 5k60
Strange that the USB cable didn't allow USB. It could be trying to do Thunderbolt. Does Thunderbolt work from the ZBook? Can you connect two non-Thunderbolt displays to Thunderbolt? If not, then connecting using Thunderbolt won't be useful except to get 10 Gbps from the USB-C ports.

Then I tried a CalDigit TB4 cable -- exact same behavior. Honestly the upscaled 4k60 I would tolerate for working in Windows, but without any hub-like functionality the dual-use single-setup idea isn't going to work.
Since you have 4K60 working, maybe you can you create a 5120x2880@46Hz in the Nvidia Control Panel? You may need to lower the refresh rate. Or, since you are not using Intel graphics, maybe you can choose 6bpc in the Nvidia control panel to get 5K60?

Would love to see a summary of what works via USB-C DP Alt-Mode and via TB4. I have a PC with an RTX 3080 Ti. It also has TB4 but from what I can tell, the TB4 video seems to be wired directly to the UHD 770 iGPU, so the 3080's DP output would be the preferred path to ensure maximum performance. I do have the Huawei VR 2 cable as well as a bidirectional DP to USB-C cable in my cable box from past experiments with the LG monitors. Will 5K@60Hz DSC work? I saw in a previous post that G-Sync actually worked? I'm not particularly worried about webcam and audio although those are nice to haves. Sounds like brightness does not work but will stay with what was last set from the Mac?
RTX supports DSC and has been used to connect XDR 6K60 display. I don't see anything in the Apple Studio Display EDID that implies G-Sync or FreeSync or VRR functionality.

(Corsair One i300) that has it's TB controller on the motherboard, you're either using the TB4 with the iGPU or the DP ports from the 3080. I have mixed feeling about using the Huawei cable - it has been proven to work with the LG monitors over the years but it's also well exceeding it's ratings to be used that way since it's just a DP 1.2 rated 21.6 Gbps cable and is 10 feet long, which is compounding the potential for problems. Not sure why no cable manufacturer has taken on building a better one since it's just a USB to DP cable with the USB 2.0 lines broken out into a separate connector.
HBR2 with or without DSC is 21.6 Gbps so it should be fine for the Studio Display and XDR display.

And currently there's no evidence that Studio Display can support two DP connections for 5K
You mean for Windows? Macs should be able to do dual HBR2 connection with macOS 12.3 (and maybe earlier if you copy the .mtdd file but I haven't seen anyone try that yet).

m2e

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2022
In the "Change resolution" tab, there is a "Customise..." button where you can add other display modes.
Attaching a screenshot, it looks like I can only get to show if I plug the TV in and then it only applies to the TV.
What to try next:
- Import your new EDID, deleted both of the Display ID blocks so only the CTA block remains. Edit the 2560x2880 timing in the CTA block so that it is a full 5120x2880 timing:
Code:
    DTD:  5120x2880   60.000000 Hz  16:9    180.000 kHz    936.000000 MHz (aspect 16:9, no 3D stereo, preferred)
               Hfront    8 Hsync  32 Hback   40 Hpol P
               Vfront  106 Vsync   8 Vback    6 Vpol N
I think I entered that correctly but CRU doesn't seem to like it? Maybe the 106 was supposed to be 16? Even then it doesn't seem happy with 5120
- Or, Import your new EDID, delete the last Display ID data block, then in the remaining Display ID data block, delete the (VESA), OUI 3A-02-92 Vendor-Specific Data Block (0x7e).
I think I deleted the right part and no luck. Attaching the EDID for reference.
Other things to try:
- Connect using a USB-C (non-Thunderbolt cable) that can do USB 3.1 gen 2 speed (10 Gbps). This may force a 20 Gbps Thunderbolt connection with only one possible DisplayPort connection so you won't get tiled mode but maybe you can get something...
Went to the store and bought a cable and tried it out, but only as I'm reading your post now I'm realising I did it with a USB 3.2 gen 2 cable ??‍♂️ No luck with the USB 3.2 gen 2 cable even though that wasn't what you were suggesting.

- Only connect one cable to the Alpine Ridge. Similar result as previous suggestion: - non-tiled mode only.
Tried this and no luck. Tried with some different EDIDs and still no luck.

- Skip the Alpine Ridge altogether. Similar result as previous suggestion: - non-tiled mode only.
I found an old Thunderbolt 2 (Female) / ThunderBolt 3 (Male) adapter and tried going from the DisplayPort on the 1080TI into the Studio Display... no luck.

If you're ok with 4k@60Hz 8bit only,
Try a DP to USB-C cable. Or a USB-C to USB-C USB 3.2 cable.
I was pretty hopeful that the USB 3.2 gen 2 (20Gbps) cable I got would work... Again, I tried with the EDID that the display declared normally, and tried with the one that came from my Mac.
Given that USB didn't work that does that point in a different direction for what could be broken?

Thanks again for everyone's help and patience. At this point my excitement for the Studio Display is dwindling and I'm getting closer to the end of the return period, so I'm thinking it might be time to give up and learn to love the UltraFine 5K ?

Edit: forgot to attach anything

Attachments

• StudioDisplayFromMacDeletedSomeBlocks.bin.zip
    501 bytes · Views: 92
  • Nvidia-ChangeResolution.jpg
    Nvidia-ChangeResolution.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 101
  • CRU-ManualEntry.jpg
    CRU-ManualEntry.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 100

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
RTX supports DSC and has been used to connect XDR 6K60 display. I don't see anything in the Apple Studio Display EDID that implies G-Sync or FreeSync or VRR functionality.

HBR2 with or without DSC is 21.6 Gbps so it should be fine for the Studio Display and XDR display.

the OP stated Gsync was working, which is why I was asking for confirmation. I was surprised to see that but Apple did add VRR support to Monterey so presumably did it for a reason

Just to make sure I’m following, you mean that with DSC, you can do 5K and 6K within DP 1.2 bandwidth, since with 3:1 compression, bandwidth comes out to between 10 and 15 Gbps for those. But the Studio Display should be able to run at 5K without DSC with a DP 1.4 cable, correct?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
But the Studio Display should be able to run at 5K without DSC with a DP 1.4 cable, correct?
The Studio Display doesn’t support DisplayPort 1.4’s HBR3 link rate, only HBR2. So DSC is necessary for 5K60 (at ≥8bpc at least).

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
And currently there's no evidence that Studio Display can support two DP connections for 5K.
There is — it supports a tiled 2560×2880 mode (the info is right there in the EDIDs), and is compatible with Macs which can only achieve 5120×2880 at 60 Hz via dual-link SST on a tiled display.

I found an old Thunderbolt 2 (Female) / ThunderBolt 3 (Male) adapter and tried going from the DisplayPort on the 1080TI into the Studio Display... no luck.
That adapter won’t work for non-Thunderbolt connections.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
the OP stated Gsync was working, which is why I was asking for confirmation. I was surprised to see that but Apple did add VRR support to Monterey so presumably did it for a reason

Just to make sure I’m following, you mean that with DSC, you can do 5K and 6K within DP 1.2 bandwidth, since with 3:1 compression, bandwidth comes out to between 10 and 15 Gbps for those. But the Studio Display should be able to run at 5K without DSC with a DP 1.4 cable, correct?
The Studio Display doesn't support HBR3 bandwidth at all. The XDR doesn't support HBR3 either, except for the dual HBR3 over Thunderbolt mode for GPUs that don't support DSC.
I don't think anyone's tried 6bpc in Windows yet (for non-DSC HBR2 5K60 RGB). macOS doesn't have an easily accessible 6bpc option - I don't know if any of the drivers can be easily patched to allow it.

Calculating bandwidth for DSC is pretty simple - ignore compression ratio. Just look at the DSC target bpp which is 12 bpp for macOS. Take the pixel clock, and multiply by the DSC target bpp to get the total bandwidth. For XDR with pixel clock of 1286 MHz, the bandwidth required is 15.4 Gbps which fits in the 17.28 Gbps limit of HBR2. You should probably add 3% for FEC.

To get 8K 60Hz from DisplayPort 1.4 using HDMI timing of 2376 MHz (in case you're using a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter) requires DSC@10.88bpp (measured in 16ths of a pixel). There's a command to change that #172 (choose an integer value of 10bpp) but no-one has tried it yet. HBR2 might be able to do 8K60 using 8bpp and CVT-RB timing. I'm not sure if 6bpp is a thing with DSC.

Reactions: Amethyst1

adogwithacat

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2022
There is — it supports a tiled 2560×2880 mode (the info is right there in the EDIDs), and is compatible with Macs which can only achieve 5120×2880 at 60 Hz via dual-link SST on a tiled display.

That adapter won’t work for non-Thunderbolt connections.
It's a good news. Does this require a special driver on windows? I remember Apple just released Boot Camp v6.1.7 with support for Studio Display several days ago. I have no idea what the support is. But is there a chanace that can make m2e's PC work with Studio Display, anyway his PC works with LG Ultrafine 5K.

Last edited:

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
You'll need to ensure your Zbook has an up to date Thunderbolt driver. You need this to ensure DisplayPort is properly tunneled over the TB3 port.

EDIT - oh see you did get it to work, just no USB, speaker, mic or camera.

I've managed to arrive at what seems to be a reliable mode of operating with 4K60 on the display plus functioning camera, speaker, USB, and mic. I think what did it was updating the firmware for the Thunderbolt G2 dock.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I've managed to arrive at what seems to be a reliable mode of operating with 4K60 on the display plus functioning camera, speaker, USB, and mic. I think what did it was updating the firmware for the Thunderbolt G2 dock.
Did you try a custom resolution of 5K43?

Reactions: Amethyst1

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2021
@azdude
So if you plug your thunderbolt Zbook --> ASC directly you get 1080p and no mics, no camera, no speakers, but if you plug Zbook --> G2 hub --> ASD then you get 4K, mics, camera and speakers working ??

dncc89

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2022
Received my two ASDs yesterday, just to confirm it works great with belkin charge & sync cables.
I'm getting dual 5k60hz output from RTX3090, speaker and webcam also work.
Brightness can be changed in bootcamp control panel, I installed iMacPro1,1 drivers from Brigadier.

Did anyone get auto brightness working in windows? I see ambient light sensors in device manager.

Onionring

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2021
OK, folks, apparently I'm no longer nerdy enough to understand the modern nuances of USB-C and Thunderbolt.

I bought a Studio Display at least partly hoping that -- like several here -- I could use it mostly successfully both with my personal 16" M1 Pro MBP and either of two HP ZBook 15 G5 mobile workstations that I use for work. True success would allow full functionality with the work PCs: 5k60, USB-C hub (w/ e.g. 1GbE adapter and Logitech MX receiver), camera, mic, and speakers. I'd hoped my basic connectivity needs here would obviate the need for a separate TB3/TB4 dock/hub, and I'd just simply swap the TB connector from laptop to laptop a couple times a day.

The ZBooks (Quadro P1000 GPUs), according to their specs, have TB3 and DisplayPort 1.3 support and can support plenty of displays including 5K resolutions.

Alas, the PC laptops were completely incompatible with the display at first. Using the Apple included TB3 cable, everything was dead:
- No display

Hoping to not give up the idea entirely, I tried the iVanky 20Gbps USB 3.2 cable suggested here. This allowed:
- 4k60 8b display success -- no lock at 5k60

Then I tried a CalDigit TB4 cable -- exact same behavior. Honestly the upscaled 4k60 I would tolerate for working in Windows, but without any hub-like functionality the dual-use single-setup idea isn't going to work.

I even tried a few other combinations, putting the Studio Display downstream of an HP TB3 dock (Thunderbolt Dock G2). No significant change in behavior.

Am I out of luck? Is the universe telling me to keep my tidy, modern, lovely Mac-only setup as a separate respite from work/PC nonsense, and to simply go sit somewhere else for work?

Yes, I have pondered returning this in favor of a Dell or LG 34-40" 5K2K with extra real estate (in "points", @1x) and better cross-platform compatibility, and abandoning the hope for Mac-proper Retina in desktop mode. But, eh...
Don’t give up mate. I use a HP G7 for work and managed to get it work properly: PD, speakers, mic, camera and 5k 60Hz. The original TB4 cable didn’t work well, only audio came through but the screen was black. So I tried the usbc cable from my previous monitor Dell U2720. That cable did work for both PC and Mac without issue. I guess the thing for you is to find the right cable? I am researching a new cable too because I plan to sell this Dell monitor. Good luck for both of us :)

Reactions: lonelyhiccup

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Received my two ASDs yesterday, just to confirm it works great with belkin charge & sync cables.
I'm getting dual 5k60hz output from RTX3090, speaker and webcam also work.
Brightness can be changed in bootcamp control panel, I installed iMacPro1,1 drivers from Brigadier.

Did anyone get auto brightness working in windows? I see ambient light sensors in device manager.
no native drivers for this yet, some one would have to pull out the component of the boot camp control panel that can interface with the display's color profiles and brightness, since it's done through some magic and not a regular INF driver apparently.

Thanks for checking that the belkin cables work!

Reactions: lupinglade

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
no native drivers for this yet, some one would have to pull out the component of the boot camp control panel
But @dncc89 said he already installed the Boot Camp drivers.

Does Boot Camp drivers support auto brightness on any display?

dncc89

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2022
I was able to test with 2019 MacBook Pro with bootcamp, auto brightness checkbox was disabled for this one as well.

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2021
There are reports in this forum of PS working 4K on XDR.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/turned-on-xdr-by-ps5-with-4k-60hz.2308707/

Cable combination
I used these to make it happen with the EDID set to green (4K 60hz).
1 GoFanco Pro-HD2DP HDMI2.0 to DP1.2 converter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YNCG37...6HAKFP5JVXFA2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

2 Bi-Directional DisplayPort to USB C Cable
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BY78C4...DP900MS6RNQ2X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

will be interesting to know if also audio is working, as the XDR has no speakers.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Working fine with the Belkin cable on a Windows PC with a 3080 Ti, audio works, games work and look great. I haven't installed Bootcamp drivers, should I do so? Nvidia control panel says Gsync is available. Are we sure that Gsync doesn't work with this monitor? I turned it on but can't tell the difference.

thirdhonk

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2022
I just tried an Asus 2080 TI in my Mac Pro 5,1 with Windows 10, it's a no go with the Apple Studio Display and the Thunderbolt 3 cable that came with the ASD to the USB-C port of the card. Expected.

I then additionally installed the original 5770 card and a DVI cable to an old monitor and I got picture to the old display, still black picture of the ASD. I switched to an unspeced USB-C to USB-C cable (from a USB 3.1 charger) and Windows identified the ASD as a USB-hub. Weird. It asked me to reboot so I did.

Upon rebooting the screen was still black on the ASD but in the display properties it showed up (as monitor 2) but with max res of 2560-ish. Still couldn't get picture. Sound worked fine though.

I wonder if it would work properly with a 40gbps USB-C to USB-C cable or if I must get a Belkin VR cable.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I just tried an Asus 2080 TI in my Mac Pro 5,1 with Windows 10, it's a no go with the Apple Studio Display and the Thunderbolt 3 cable that came with the ASD to the USB-C port of the card. Expected.

I then additionally installed the original 5770 card and a DVI cable to an old monitor and I got picture to the old display, still black picture of the ASD. I switched to an unspeced USB-C to USB-C cable (from a USB 3.1 charger) and Windows identified the ASD as a USB-hub. Weird. It asked me to reboot so I did.

Upon rebooting the screen was still black on the ASD but in the display properties it showed up (as monitor 2) but with max res of 2560-ish. Still couldn't get picture. Sound worked fine though.

I wonder if it would work properly with a 40gbps USB-C to USB-C cable or if I must get a Belkin VR cable.
Try a Thunderbolt 4 cable. It worked for me to connect a Windows 10 PC with an 8th gen Core processor, albeit at 4K.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.