Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
holy crap! I'm shocked… uncool.

I think the active Thunderbolt cable would have a much better chance of working, but the one at the Apple Store absolutely should have been one.

Again, I'd try the bootcamp drivers, and also any native Dell/Intel/Windows drivers that are available for the laptop.

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
I'm using an Apple Studio Display with a Macbook, and a Windows PC using that DisplayPort -> USB-C adapter everyone else uses.

The Studio Display only works with the Windows PC if it is plugged in before the PC boots; plugging in after it's booted does nothing.

Furthermore, if I ever need to unplug the display and hook it up to the Mac, the screen will not turn on when plugged back into the Windows computer.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggestions? (I have all the latest bootcamp drivers installed on the Windows PC. Also I tried a KVM and it had all the same issues.)
I've replaced the cable with a WJESOG and it's a night-and-day difference. Highly recommend to any Windows user with DisplayPort (no good for HDMI though).

Voyageur

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2019
Moscow, Russia
Hi people. I optionally use ASD with my WinPC (RTX4080) via a Belkin VR cable for Huawei and in general everything works well except for image tearing (even with V sync enabled in games properties). The problem was partially solved in the Nvidia system settings by forcing vertical synchronization to be turned on.

However, this does not help when DLSS 3 is turned on with Frame generation and the image diverges in layers (checked in "The Witcher 3" and "Hogwarts Legacy"). Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hi people. I optionally use ASD with my WinPC (RTX4080) via a Belkin VR cable for Huawei and in general everything works well except for image tearing (even with V sync enabled in games properties). The problem was partially solved in the Nvidia system settings by forcing vertical synchronization to be turned on.

However, this does not help when DLSS 3 is turned on with Frame generation and the image diverges in layers (checked in "The Witcher 3" and "Hogwarts Legacy"). Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
The ASD does not support variable frame rates, so anything that isn’t 60 fps (or an even multiple under 60) will tear.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
The ASD does not support variable frame rates, so anything that isn’t 60 fps (or an even multiple under 60) will tear.
To add to this it looks like you can turn on this feature in vids control panel but it won’t do anything

roosvelt

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Hi guys, I plan to change my iMac 27" late 2020, last Intel product, for a Mac Studio with one or 2 ASD

At work, I've a HP 845 G7 with AMD Ryzen 5 Pro CPU and an integrated AMD Radeon Graphics "GPU" so no Thunderbolt for this model

Sorry for my noob question but I'd like to be sure, even if it's AMD, there's 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C connector (Alt mode) so do you think it'll work to connect an ASD with an USB C Thunderbolt 4 cable ?

If yes, could we imagine that I can buy 2 ASD and use the 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C connector (Alt mode) or perhaps the integrated AMD card won't be powerful enough ?

Last edited:

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Hi guys, I plan to change my iMac 27" late 2020, last Intel product, for a Mac Studio with one or 2 ASD

At work, I've a HP 845 G7 with AMD Ryzen 5 Pro CPU and an integrated AMD Radeon Graphics "GPU" so no Thunderbolt for this model

Sorry for my noob question but I'd like to be sure, even if it's AMD, there's 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C connector (Alt mode) so do you think it'll work to connect an ASD with an USB C Thunderbolt 4 cable ?

If yes, could we imagine that I can buy 2 ASD and use the 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C connector (Alt mode) or perhaps the integrated AMD card won't be powerful enough ?
You have to check what your maximum outputs are most computers can't handle too much over one connection specifically the USB c driver chip I don't know enough about that model sorry

You'll just have to test and return if it doesn't work

Reactions: roosvelt

roosvelt

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
You have to check what your maximum outputs are most computers can't handle too much over one connection specifically the USB c driver chip I don't know enough about that model sorry

You'll just have to test and return if it doesn't work
Thanks for your reply Kreasu_
According to the manual, pages 31 and 34, it seeems like the AMD controller can manage 6 external displays with a hub and using MultiStream Transport
https://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06627510.pdf

On hp's forum, a guy indicate the 845 G7 can be connected to 3 external monitors without saying if it's a Intel or AMD processor model he own (for Thunderbolt)
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...ok-845-G7-can-connect-4-monitors/td-p/8655693

I've found a post in Reddit too, it seems the 845 G7 can be connected to 2 displays 4K 60Hz with a hub through DP ports
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hewlett_Packard/comments/tkrgej
However, you're agree I juste have to buy an usb C alt display mode to usb C thunderbolt 4 cable to test like this one ?

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
The HP 845 G7 specs say Radeon graphics, and pre-Navi AMD chipsets (like maybe integrated Radeon?) don't support Display Stream Compression, which is needed to get 5K over USB-C (Alt-mode) cables.
So at best it looks like you would only get 4K?

Last edited:

roosvelt

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
The HP 845 G7 specs say Radeon graphics, and pre-Navi AMD cards (like Radeon) don't support Display Stream Compression, which is needed to get 5K over USB-C (Alt-modE) cables.
So at best it looks like your would only get 4K?

Hi PaulD-UK thanks for this information :)
Never mind, if I'll get "only" 4K
I just want to be sure that even with no Thunderbolt ports, USB C display port Alt-mode would be enough to connect 1 or 2 ASD with the cable I linked before or another one.

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
If you want a retina-grade 4k display, the 24" LG Ultrafine is not bad at all, they ironed out the issues with the pre-2020 models IMO. I am uncertain of how well it runs without Thunderbolt, though.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
Hi roosvelt. I've got an HP EliteBook 845 G9 and it's a 100% no-go. Using a couple different thunderbolt cables, my ASD screen remains blank no matter what I did. That's my experience. Not even 4k.

roosvelt

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
If you want a retina-grade 4k display, the 24" LG Ultrafine is not bad at all, they ironed out the issues with the pre-2020 models IMO. I am uncertain of how well it runs without Thunderbolt, though.

Thanks for your advice Eric_WVGG
I went to Sven.de website, it seems with 24" with an UHD resolution 3840x2160 you've 183,58 PPI, I'm not sure it's HiDPI aka Retina

I'd like to keep 5K resolution with an ASD and my futur Mac Studio and use the ASD in 4K for work because of old notebook waiting for a newer one.

Last edited:

roosvelt

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Hi roosvelt. I've got an HP EliteBook 845 G9 and it's a 100% no-go. Using a couple different thunderbolt cables, my ASD screen remains blank no matter what I did. That's my experience. Not even 4k.

Thanks for your feedback HappyIntro.

I've asked technical support of my company, they told me the best model in the authorized list is the 850 G9 which have 2 Thunderbolt ports (if running Intel processor) but it's out of stock actually.

roosvelt

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012

Did you download drivers with brigadier ?

roosvelt

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
0299093b862110808f8b6d9bf5d95582.jpg

I ordered on the refurb an ASD, arrived today and work perfectly with the cable I've bought without doing anything.

Maybe a lead for you @HappyIntro

I'm so happy it works !!
c820cd7194d1b9537759a5c6b03f8ceb.jpg

Even the camera, the mic and speakers work with Teams !!

Last edited:

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
0299093b862110808f8b6d9bf5d95582.jpg

I've ordered on the refurbished an ASD, arrived today and work perfectly with the cable I've bought without doing anything.

Maybe a lead for you @HappyIntro

I'm so happy it works !!
c820cd7194d1b9537759a5c6b03f8ceb.jpg

Even the camera, the mic and speakers work with Teams !!
I assume you can't control the brightness nor colorspace I have a post about that if needed (the first post of this thread)

Last edited:

roosvelt

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I assume you can't control the brightness nor colorspace I have a post about that if needed (the first post of this thread)

You're right, I can't, I'll have a look thanks kreasu_ :)

Especially since I have the good firmware version, I did well not to upgrade to Sonoma otherwise the ASD would have been the firmware version 17

Last edited:

roosvelt

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Hi kreasu_,
I installed the library, the same device filter, restarted the PC and run the program StudioDisplayBrightnessController.exe.

Unfortunately, as you report on your first post, my ambient brightness value is 0 and doesn't change even if I've the good firmware version, 16.4.

The dash under the monitor picture in the main application window is red not green, means no connection between the application and the monitor.

I'm connected via a USB-C cable and a Thunderbolt interface, I've tried the 2 USB-C ports, it's the same, no green dash under the monitor picture in the main application.

I even uninstalled driver and restarted a fresh install, it's the same.

Last edited:

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Hi kreasu_,
I've installed the library, the same device filter, restarted the PC and run the program StudioDisplayBrightnessController.exe.

Unfortunately, as you report on your first post, my ambient brightness value is 0 and doesn't change even if I've the good firmware version, 16.4.

The dash under the monitor picture in the main application window is red not green, means no connection between the application and the monitor.

I'm connected via a USB-C cable and a Thunderbolt interface, I've tried the 2 USB-C ports, it's the same, no green dash under the monitor picture in the main application.

I even uninstalled driver and restarted a fresh install, it's the same.
Try the brigader method using bootcamp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.