Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iManic

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2016
Just a quick note. My office has a massive window right behind my screen so I usually only use 2 brightness settings. Maxed out during the day and night mode/20% when the sun goes down. I just realized I can plug my 15 Pro Max into the Studio Display and set the brightness and/or night mode. Then I unplug it from the phone and plug it back into my Windows PC it keeps the same settings.

Reactions: drrich2

chrjohns

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
@chrjohns Thank you for that insight!

Which motherboard are you using it with?

That you made the WJESOG cable work with the Apple Studio Display + Speakers + Camera is amazing! How about controlling Display Brightness?

I am switching back and forth on the fly between a MacBook Pro M1 and a PC with the following setup and have a lot of issues with the PC‘s signal.

I have an ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING WIFI II motherboard without Thunderbolt Port, but with a Displayport 1.2 and a few USB 3.2 ports:
View attachment 2299382
View attachment 2299383

And I have the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 OC with 2x HDMI 2.1 and 3x DisplayPort 1.4a

In the meantime I have tried the Cable Matters cable which works without speaker, camera and brightness support.

Same for the Moshi cable.

On top of this both of the cables above make scary and ugly glitches and screen outages in a frequency of seconds on my ASD:
View attachment 2299386
View attachment 2299387
View attachment 2299388

With the Moshi cable there are times without glitches when I newly turn on the power of the PC or sometimes when it awakes from „Sleep“. When I switch from the MBP on the fly by switching the cables manually on the Apple Studio Display, glitches are guaranteed.

Both cables have to be connected to one of the RTX3090 Displayports in order to work.

The motherboard‘s Displayport 1.2 doesn‘t seem to provide any signal to the Apple Studio Display.

I also tried this bi-directional KVM from Amazon Germany https://amzn.eu/d/4YHE3ra which seems to have fried my Moshi Cable while MacBook Pro and PC have been connected. While I was working on my MacBook Pro and the PC was in Sleep mode I switched to the PC output port and the PC just didn‘t wake up anymore, where the RTX had a red blinking light on only. I then shut the PC down via the PSU Switch and restarted, without success, the ASD kept staying off. I then tried it again with a Cable Matters cable I still had and fortunately it worked again.

View attachment 2299481

Returned the KVM and will probably never use such a device again after having this horrific experience.

Now I was wondering, if I use your recommended WJESOG cable, how I shall connect it to the USB port, since the RTX Card‘s port and the motherboard USB port are apart like 20cm’s from each other and the splitted USB connection cable on it seems to be like 5cm long only.

Any thoughts and feedback highly appreciated!

I am thinking about switching to an ASUS ProArt B550 motherboard with 2x Thunderbolt 4 Ports and one Thunderbolt Display-In Port. But I am wondering if the ASD will work smoothly with the speakers, camera and brightness control by simply connecting it to one of the TB4 ports and the ASD USB-C Port via Thunderbolt-to-Thunderbolt cable (which cable to use in this case?) — or how do you best connect to the ASD from the B550? Does this work seemlessly from the TB4 ports on the B550‘s backplate?

And what is confusing me a bit is the Display-In port. The manual says the graphics card can be wired to this port, but which cable shall be used then to connect it to the ASD? Any insights on this?
Hi @natsukosen sorry about the late reply here. I just checked back and saw your post.

So I kept the TB4 KVM. There really are no other options out there that I could find. And the original KVM I used was the one you posted and I had the same experience as you. It’s possible it fried my cables too. Maybe it damaged my first WJESOG cable? I don’t think so though because others have complained about the overheating issue on Amazon.

I also experienced the glitching you mentioned with the other cables.

My PC is using the B650I AORUS ULTRA.

I think with the proart you can connect directly to the ASD VIA the thunderbolt port because if you use the dp in it will send the video signal through the TB cable.

The brightness can be controlled but it is a software issue with windows. There are some who used the drivers from boot Camp and I think there is a mention at the top of this thread about a driver somebody had created.

Last edited:

natsukosen

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2023
Hi @natsukosen sorry about the late reply here. I just checked back and saw your post.

So I kept the TB4 KVM. There really are no other options out there that I could find. And the original KVM I used was the one you posted and I had the same experience as you. It’s possible it fried my cables too. Maybe it damaged my first WJESOG cable? I don’t think so though because others have complained about the overheating issue on Amazon.

I also experienced the glitching you mentioned with the other cables.

My PC is using the B650I AORUS ULTRA.

I think with the proart you can connect directly to the ASD VIA the thunderbolt port because if you use the dp in it will send the video signal through the TB cable.

The brightness can be controlled but it is a software issue with windows. There are some who used the drivers from boot Camp and I think there is a mention at the top of this thread about a driver somebody had created.
Many thanks for getting back! Good news, today I tried the WJESOG DP to USB-C Cable and it works like a charm (including Speakers and Webcam) with my RTX-3090 DP Slot! I am more than happy! :D

I still need to manually plug the USB-C Cables in an out from the ASD, but just feels so nice at the moment without having any issues connecting the PC to the ASD.

Is it the Sabrent TB4 KVM for $300 that you kept? And are using it with TB4 Cables to connect to the PC and Mac?
Also, do you think the Sabrent TB4 KVM can manage to switch between the WJESOG DP to USB-C Cable and the Standard Apple Studio Display TB4 Cable to connect to a MacBook Pro M1 Max?

chrjohns

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Yes
Many thanks for getting back! Good news, today I tried the WJESOG DP to USB-C Cable and it works like a charm (including Speakers and Webcam) with my RTX-3090 DP Slot! I am more than happy! :D

I still need to manually plug the USB-C Cables in an out from the ASD, but just feels so nice at the moment without having any issues connecting the PC to the ASD.

Is it the Sabrent TB4 KVM for $300 that you kept? And are using it with TB4 Cables to connect to the PC and Mac?
Also, do you think the Sabrent TB4 KVM can manage to switch between the WJESOG DP to USB-C Cable and the Standard Apple Studio Display TB4 Cable to connect to a MacBook Pro M1 Max?
Yes I did keep the Sabrent. It seems to work fine with both TB and USB-C cables.

tstrg

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2023
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share a solution that might help anyone experiencing issues with the ambient light sensor functionality in the Studio Display Brightness Controller when using an Apple Studio Display with a Dell XPS 9320 Plus laptop on Windows 11.

In my case, the sensors started working properly only after I removed a malfunctioning Intel USB Bridge Firmware Upgrade driver and reverted to the default USB DFU driver. The faulty driver was causing numerous system errors, including the internal camera not functioning. This led me to believe that the driver could also be responsible for the ambient light sensor issue, as everything worked fine with the default driver.

Unfortunately, the camera issue persists. For more details on the webcam not being detected on the XPS 13 Plus 9320, you can refer to these resources:

Hope this helps someone out there!

bzh2610

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2023
I tried the Studio Display with a Lenovo Thinkpad L13 Gen 2 (AMD model), which has USB-C 3.2 and displayPort 1.4 over USB-C, but no Thunderbolt. It works out of the box using Apple's cable.

Reactions: HappyIntro

Error404!

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
Hello folks ! and Kreasu

I don't arrive to start SensorInfo minimized, how could you do that ?

I have tried with task scheduler :
Program/script : "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\26830TonyLin.SensorInfo_10.0.27.0_x64__xzh44wb246sn4\SensorInfo.exe"
Add Arguments : /min

NO RESULTS

I have tried with Regedit "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\26830TonyLin.SensorInfo_10.0.27.0_x64__xzh44wb246sn4\SensorInfo.exe" /starttray /min

NO RESULTS

Any clues ??

Error404!

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
I didn't remember SensorInfo window have to be totally opened. So minimize it make the StudioDisplayBrightnessController appli inoperating.

So my question is : how make the sensorInfo Window invisible ?

Ma3n-87

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
Apologies for extending this post with a question that's probably already been asked. I'm getting a Lenovo legion desktop with an RTX4080 GPU that has DP output. I have two studio displays I need to run off of it. From what I'm gathering. The easiest solution it appears is one DP to TB cable for one display and use the Belkin cable to run the other display and use its camera/speakers. Is this correct or is there a better solution? what's the best alternative to the Belkin cable which will still run 5K and above?

Thank you all

https://www.belkin.com/support-arti...adius&utm_content=ONLINE_TRACKING_LINK_214281

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d6ffe56b389fe&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

Bonobobakunin

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
Chicago
Apologies if it is heresy to post a Windows question in these communities. And I know this question is more appropriately asked in a Windows forum. I have done that, but am casting my net wide. I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10 I have to use for work. I bought an Apple Studio Display to hook up to it at home because I am a Mac user at home. The display works, but only as a mirror of the laptop display. Windows does not identify or recognize the display to allow me to extend the displays or control the settings on the display. Any help? Thanks

roosvelt

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Apologies if it is heresy to post a Windows question in these communities. And I know this question is more appropriately asked in a Windows forum. I have done that, but am casting my net wide. I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10 I have to use for work. I bought an Apple Studio Display to hook up to it at home because I am a Mac user at home. The display works, but only as a mirror of the laptop display. Windows does not identify or recognize the display to allow me to extend the displays or control the settings on the display. Any help? Thanks

I'm not sure but I think if you buy a KVM you'll be able to extend and not only mirroring.
I'll let owners confirm or not.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Settings you’ll have to use boot camp or a third party tool in terms of mirroring you’ll have to open your display settings and see some older laptops don’t support the protocol bandwidth for it over usb c or some igpus can’t output 5k

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
I'm using an Apple Studio Display with a Macbook, and a Windows PC using that DisplayPort -> USB-C adapter everyone else uses.

The Studio Display only works with the Windows PC if it is plugged in before the PC boots; plugging in after it's booted does nothing.

Furthermore, if I ever need to unplug the display and hook it up to the Mac, the screen will not turn on when plugged back into the Windows computer.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggestions? (I have all the latest bootcamp drivers installed on the Windows PC. Also I tried a KVM and it had all the same issues.)

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
I'm using an Apple Studio Display with a Macbook, and a Windows PC using that DisplayPort -> USB-C adapter everyone else uses.

The Studio Display only works with the Windows PC if it is plugged in before the PC boots; plugging in after it's booted does nothing.

Furthermore, if I ever need to unplug the display and hook it up to the Mac, the screen will not turn on when plugged back into the Windows computer.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggestions? (I have all the latest bootcamp drivers installed on the Windows PC. Also I tried a KVM and it had all the same issues.)
Try installing the intel thunderbolt driver if your laptop has thunderbolt and confirm the connection in the windows app thunderbolt controller to see if it’s connected

It sounds like a driver issue

japonic

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2024
Hey guys,

I'm interested in buying an Apple Studio Display, I have a personal MacBookPro and a Dell for work.
I went to try it out at an Apple Store to see if the monitors worked with my computers.
With the MBP, no problem.

It didn't work with the Dell. My Dell is a Vostro 7590, intel i7-9759, has an Intel UHD Graphics 630 and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650. It has a 1xHDMI 2.0 port, 3xUSB-A 3.1 gen1 and a 1xThunderbolt 3 port (usb type c).
When I was trying out the Dell in the store with the original ASD cable, I opened the Thunderbolt Control Center in Windows, and the ASD appeared listed, but disappeared immediately afterwards, only to appear again, and disappear again, and so on.
I tried with a thunderbolt 4 cable and the same thing happened.

Do you think that an active Thunderbolt 4 cable (https://amzn.eu/d/1QKB0eO) could solve the problem?

Or will I have to go through the HDMI with a cable similar to this one (https://amzn.eu/d/aS88UxZ or https://amzn.eu/d/2rwgkyQ)?

Or will I have to go through an HDMI cable -> DisplayPort (https://amzn.eu/d/1m9hUxH or https://amzn.eu/d/3Pe7TBD) and then DisplayPort -> Thunderbolt USB-C (https:// amzn.eu/d/dOtqftb).

I don't mind having a resolution lower than 5k, if it works at 1440p on the Dell, I don't mind.

Do you think it could work?

Thank you so much guys

Eric_WVGG

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
gentrification fallout zone
Hey guys,

I'm interested in buying an Apple Studio Display, I have a personal MacBookPro and a Dell for work.
I went to try it out at an Apple Store to see if the monitors worked with my computers.
With the MBP, no problem.

It didn't work with the Dell. My Dell is a Vostro 7590, intel i7-9759, has an Intel UHD Graphics 630 and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650. It has a 1xHDMI 2.0 port, 3xUSB-A 3.1 gen1 and a 1xThunderbolt 3 port (usb type c).
When I was trying out the Dell in the store with the original ASD cable, I opened the Thunderbolt Control Center in Windows, and the ASD appeared listed, but disappeared immediately afterwards, only to appear again, and disappear again, and so on.
I tried with a thunderbolt 4 cable and the same thing happened.

Do you think that an active Thunderbolt 4 cable (https://amzn.eu/d/1QKB0eO) could solve the problem?

Or will I have to go through the HDMI with a cable similar to this one (https://amzn.eu/d/aS88UxZ or https://amzn.eu/d/2rwgkyQ)?

Or will I have to go through an HDMI cable -> DisplayPort (https://amzn.eu/d/1m9hUxH or https://amzn.eu/d/3Pe7TBD) and then DisplayPort -> Thunderbolt USB-C (https:// amzn.eu/d/dOtqftb).

I don't mind having a resolution lower than 5k, if it works at 1440p on the Dell, I don't mind.

Do you think it could work?

Thank you so much guys
You probably need to install the Bootcamp drivers on your Dell, which isn't as straightforward as it used to be.

I suggest following the steps on this page, then going back to the Apple Store and giving it another try.

But unless you really really want that nanosurface coating (which is honestly quite sweet), I'd recommend the Samsung 5k display over the Studio Display at this point. It's "dumber" in the best sense of the word, the Studio Display is so over-engineered that it doesn't really "just work" on anything but a Mac.

japonic

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2024
You probably need to install the Bootcamp drivers on your Dell, which isn't as straightforward as it used to be.

I suggest following the steps on this page, then going back to the Apple Store and giving it another try.

But unless you really really want that nanosurface coating (which is honestly quite sweet), I'd recommend the Samsung 5k display over the Studio Display at this point. It's "dumber" in the best sense of the word, the Studio Display is so over-engineered that it doesn't really "just work" on anything but a Mac.

With the Dell I was unable to send an image to the ASD, the ASD always had a black screen. when I opened the Thunderbolt Control Center in Windows, and the ASD appeared listed, but disappeared immediately afterwards, only to appear again, and disappear again, and so on.
Which cable can solve my problem?

My preference is over the standard glass model.
The Samsung Viewfinity S9 does not work with my Macbook Pro, as my MBP is a model with an Intel chip. Samsung Viewfinity S9 is only compatible with Apple silicon chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.