Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Hey thank you so much!!!
The socket is the only thing I haven't tried yet.
In fact, the ASD is on a power strip at the moment.
I will change that tomorrow immediately.
An extension cable shouldn't be a problem, should it?

What exactly is "Intel thunderbolt control panel"?
Is that a specific programme? Can you show me a screenshot?

Do you update the thunderbolt controllers directly via Intel or Pc manufacturer site?
That'll depend on your computer, my Asus proart required a bios update for the controller specifically from Asus and a driver update from Intel, and the Intel app is a uwp on the Microsoft store, I'll see if I can get you a link

missaq

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2023
That'll depend on your computer, my Asus proart required a bios update for the controller specifically from Asus and a driver update from Intel, and the Intel app is a uwp on the Microsoft store, I'll see if I can get you a link
Unfortunately, switching from the power strip to the power socket did not work, as I had these interruptions again all morning.
I have now checked again, both the BIOS and the Thunderbolt driver are up to date.
I think I now know what you meant by the Thunderbolt controller panel (see photo).

Thunderbolt Controller Panel & Thunderbolt Driver
Screenshot 2023-06-29 115014.png
Screenshot 2023-06-29 131120.png

Last edited:

marcisl

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2017
Riga
Just received my Studio Display to use with a windows 10 PC, that has an RTX 3060 gpu. The display works perfectly, BUT, the PC is not posting if the display is plugged in. Only when I unplug it, the PC turns on propelry and boots windows, then replug the display and it works fine.

Anyone know what could cause this? It would be great if I didn't need to unplug the monitor every time I turn on / restart the PC.

I'm using Cable Matters 1.4 Displayport to Thunderbolt cable

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Just received my Studio Display to use with a windows 10 PC, that has an RTX 3060 gpu. The display works perfectly, BUT, the PC is not posting if the display is plugged in. Only when I unplug it, the PC turns on propelry and boots windows, then replug the display and it works fine.

Anyone know what could cause this? It would be great if I didn't need to unplug the monitor every time I turn on / restart the PC.

I'm using Cable Matters 1.4 Displayport to Thunderbolt cable
Did you try changing BIOS settings? Disable CSM?

marcisl

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2017
Riga
Did you try changing BIOS settings? Disable CSM?
Yes, when I disable CSM im not able to boot into windows at all, even with different displays connected with hdmi. Changing boot mode from UEFI to Legacy also didn't help.

In a couple of weeks I'll have the belkin charge & sync cable for the Studio Display, maybe that will solve it.

marcisl

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2017
Riga
Yes, when I disable CSM im not able to boot into windows at all, even with different displays connected with hdmi. Changing boot mode from UEFI to Legacy also didn't help.

In a couple of weeks I'll have the belkin charge & sync cable for the Studio Display, maybe that will solve it.
Update: I just installed Windows 11 which involved disabling CSM and enabling Secureboot.

Now the Studio Display is turning on as it should, already before windows 11 starts loading. Success!

Reactions: joevt

Chris_Poland

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
Hello again!

I have prepared an application "Studio Display Sensor Fix" that should help with the problem where the sensor is not activated or stops sending data to the "Studio Display Brightness Controller" application.

Unfortunately, that's all I can do about it at the moment. I am not able to get this effect with some tweaks in the "Studio Display Brightness Controller" app itself. Therefore, the installation of a second application is required. "Studio Display Sensor Fix" reads data from the ambient light sensor every 15 minutes using UWP technology to ensure that the sensor is active. Below are the installation instructions.

Installation procedure of "Studio Display Sensor Fix":
1. Download file https:<slash><slash>rebrand.ly<slash>sdsf_v1-0-0-0
2. Unzip file "StudioDisplaySensorFix_1.0.0.0.zip"
3. Install the certificate by adding it to the "Trusted People" section - file "sdsf_1.0.0.0_x64.cer"
4. Install the application by running the file - "sdsf_1.0.0.0_x64.msixbundle"
5. Run the application: "Studio Display Sensor Fix"
6. Click the "Register" button
7. Close the application: "Studio Display Sensor Fix" - it doesn't have to be open to run background task every 15 minutes

That's all!

greedist

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2021
AMD radeon(tm) Graphics Dp alt Mode 1.4 no dsc
I wonder if it is possible to connect to the studio display using the USB 3.2 Gen2 C to C 240W supports 4K 60hz Twoway cable under the above conditions.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
AMD radeon(tm) Graphics Dp alt Mode 1.4 no dsc
I wonder if it is possible to connect to the studio display using the USB 3.2 Gen2 C to C 240W supports 4K 60hz Twoway cable under the above conditions.
I think Apple Studio Display requires DSC or Thunderbolt to get 5K60 since it does not support HBR3. With a single HBR2 connection without DSC, you will need to try a custom 5K timing with lower refresh rate.

tiguanito

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Hello again!

I have prepared an application "Studio Display Sensor Fix" that should help with the problem where the sensor is not activated or stops sending data to the "Studio Display Brightness Controller" application.
Hello Chris, thanks for you work on this tool.
- Do you have any idea why some Win11 configurations have the sensor refresh issue, while some others don't ? ( I have the issue on a Win11 Dell laptop )
- Are you considering to add your project in GitHub so developers can help with the stability and issues ?
- Would it be possible please to change the timer from 15min to 5min (or any lower value) in "Studio Display Sensor Fix" ?

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Hello again!

Unfortunately, that's all I can do about it at the moment. I am not able to get this effect with some tweaks in the "Studio Display Brightness Controller" app itself. Therefore, the installation of a second application is required. "Studio Display Sensor Fix" reads data from the ambient light sensor every 15 minutes using UWP technology to ensure that the sensor is active. Below are the installation instructions.

3. Install the certificate by adding it to the "Trusted People" section - file "sdsf_1.0.0.0_x64.cer"
7. Close the application: "Studio Display Sensor Fix" - it doesn't have to be open to run background task every 15 minutes

That's all!
I'd like to note that this didn't work for me, this version is the same one you sent me right?

tstrg

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2023
Hello again!

That's all!
Hi Chris,
thank you for working on this tool. I installed Studio Display Sensor Fix, but it doesn't work for me. The Ambient Brightness value stays at 0. I've also installed SensonInfo app, where the Illuminance value (lux) value is changing. I'm running on Win 11, Dell XPS Pro.

UPDATE:
After restarting the PC I can see Ambient brightness is working as expected. The issue may be connected to starting OS from hibernation (in my case).

UPDATE 2:
After another restart, it stoped working. It doesn't work even with opened SensorInfo app.

Last edited:

Error404!

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
Hi Kreasu hu Chris,

Thanks you for your work Chris,

The Studio Display Sensor Fix doesn't work for me too. Although if I have correctly followed the instructions.

For your Kreasu, you succeed to make it working before or you didn't succeed to make it work at all ?

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Hi Kreasu hu Chris,

Thanks you for your work Chris,

The Studio Display Sensor Fix doesn't work for me too. Although if I have correctly followed the instructions.

For your Kreasu, you succeed to make it working before or you didn't succeed to make it work at all ?
I wasn't able to get it working at all, I keep sensor info open instead

tstrg

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2023
I was able to make it work in Win 11 by Disabling Core Isolation Memory Integrity in Windows 11.

After disabling the feature and restarting the PC The Studio Display Sensor Fix starts working again as expected.

Here is the guide on how to you can Enable / Disable the feature

Chris_Poland

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
Hello Chris, thanks for you work on this tool.
- Do you have any idea why some Win11 configurations have the sensor refresh issue, while some others don't ? ( I have the issue on a Win11 Dell laptop )
- Are you considering to add your project in GitHub so developers can help with the stability and issues ?
- Would it be possible please to change the timer from 15min to 5min (or any lower value) in "Studio Display Sensor Fix" ?
Hello
- Unfortunately, I'm currently working on Windows 10 and I don't know why it doesn't work on Windows 11
- I'm considering it, but at the moment I don't even have time to do it, maybe around September-October I'll be able to do it
- Unfortunately this is the smallest time for a UWP app, I wanted to set it lower of course, but that's not possible due to environment constraints

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2023
Hello
- Unfortunately, I'm currently working on Windows 10 and I don't know why it doesn't work on Windows 11
- I'm considering it, but at the moment I don't even have time to do it, maybe around September-October I'll be able to do it
- Unfortunately this is the smallest time for a UWP app, I wanted to set it lower of course, but that's not possible due to environment constraints
Just signed up here to say that i'd also really appreciate this being on GitHub, althought totally understand that you have limited time to work on it (I'm sure the open source community can help with that). I'm personally not keen on the idea of installing anything from a random google drive without seeing the source code.

Also, just throwing this out there: It would be great if we could set the brightness manually rather than using the sensor. Maybe this could be achieved by configuring keyboard shortcuts in the UI, and/or exposing it via a cli (./StudioDisplayBrightnessController.exe -brightness {$increment}) which in turn can be hooked up with AutoHotkey.

And thanks for your work on this thus far.

Last edited:

missaq

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2023
Hey guys, I'm really getting desperate. I've been having this problem for a few months now 😢😢😢

No matter what I do, I can't fix it. The microphone doesn't bother me much, but the distorted sound bothers me a lot.

I really don't want to buy external speakers because the Apple Studio Display speakers are more than good for my needs, if it weren't for these dropouts.

Would it be possible for those of you who don't have this problem to exchange your driver versions with me?

I am sure it is some Window's driver that is causing problems.

Thank you so much 🙏

tallytarik

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2023
I have the ASUS ThunderboltEX 4 card with a ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI and RTX 3080 and I was able to get this working with the Studio Display. Leaving this here in case anyone has the same card.

I initially had the same problem as described in the first post: black screen on the display, but cameras and speakers working.

Turns out there are some extra steps to get the TB4 card working properly beyond just "plug everything in", and these steps aren't documented anywhere:

1. Follow your motherboard's guide to install and connect the TB4 card, including the PCI-E power cable. Supported ASUS motherboards should have a page in the manual about this. Apparently on some motherboards the card also has to go in a certain PCI-E slot.
  2. Make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date.
  3. Download the TB & PD Firmware Update and copy the files to a USB stick according to the instructions in the zip's ReadMe.txt
  4. In the BIOS:
    1. Enable TB4 support - on my board, this was under "Advanced > AMD PBS" (why?!)
    2. You may also have to enable IOMMU and SR-IOV.
    3. Save and restart
  5. In the BIOS again:
    1. Run the EFI firmware update (downloaded in #3 above) according to the instructions in the zip's ReadMe.txt
    2. Save and restart
  6. Back in Windows, download and install all of the relevant drivers. (note by this point, some of them didn't install for me because they had already been installed automatically on boot)
  7. Finally, connect the Studio Display according to the standard process described here - the two Mini DP ports of the TB4 card <=> your GPU's #1 and #2 DisplayPorts; and the Studio Display to the TB4 card via TB4 cable (although I found a TB3 cable also worked fine)
Hopefully this helps someone else. Thanks to the many creative Amazon reviews which described many of the missing parts of this process.

missaq

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2023
Hey guys, I'm really getting desperate. I've been having this problem for a few months now 😢😢😢

No matter what I do, I can't fix it. The microphone doesn't bother me much, but the distorted sound bothers me a lot.

I really don't want to buy external speakers because the Apple Studio Display speakers are more than good for my needs, if it weren't for these dropouts.

Would it be possible for those of you who don't have this problem to exchange your driver versions with me?

I am sure it is some Window's driver that is causing problems.

Thank you so much 🙏
After months of research, I was able to narrow down the problem to some extent.

I found out that the driver (marked in the picture) is responsible for the camera, sound and microphone.

c3c8ecd0-e5a9-4c04-a7b2-31b598a71f3a

I am convinced that this driver is responsible for the distorted sound as well as for the sudden switching off of the microphone during a session (no matter if Teams or Zoom).

The question now is who is at fault? Apple, Microsoft, Intel or HP?

Believe me, I have gone through the Install/Uninstall, Upgrade/Downgrade Game.

cinedog

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2023
Hi everyone, I want to buy a Studio Display to be used with my M1 Max MacBook Pro and my desktop. One caveat is I can not only use the Moshi cable (or any other dedicated bidirectional cable) that everyone here recommends because it is too short. I need to run a 30ft Displayport cable to my desktop. I think I've come up with a solution but I'm not sure if it will work.

Parts​

Setup​

When I want to use it with my MacBook, I will connect:
Code:
MacBook
    ↓
Thunderbolt cable
    ↓
Studio Display

When I want to use it with my Desktop, I will unplug the Thunderbolt cable and connect:

Code:
Desktop
    ↓
30ft Displayport cable
    ↓
Displayport coupler
    ↓
Moshi cable
    ↓
Studio Display

Questions​

• Can someone confirm if my proposed plan will work? Once a Displayport signal has gone through the Moshi cable, there shouldn't be a problem if it gets sent through a coupler + second cable right?
  • The only reason I'm adding the coupler is because I can't find a USB C male to DP female adapter that is bidirectional. For example, take a look at this JSAUX adapter. In the diagram, you can see the adapter only works when the USB C side is plugged into the host device/computer, and not when the USB C side is plugged into the display. If you know of one, please share!
    JSAUX adapter signal direction.jpg
  • Apparently the DELOCK 63928 is one possible adapter that works? Is there any confirmation it works from Studio Display owners?

Last edited:

Dark-Signature

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2022
I'm skeptical that the 10m cable will work, unless it's very high quality or you don't want to use the 5K resolution from your desktop.

I connected my desktop to the Apple Studio Display with the original Apple Thunderbolt 4 cable which is 3m long and cost about 150€. That works, but your design ... I don't know.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

monsthamo

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2023
Sorry for my sillyness. I am on the verge of getting an ASD for my macbook pro as well as my PC (using Belkin vr cable), but i just came across mentions that firmware 16.4 does not work for PCs.

May I know if anybody here is connecting a PC to an ASD with 16.4 using the Belkin method?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.