Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Error404!

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
Hi guys,

Waiting for such an app like Studio Display Brightness Controller for a while...

Thank you so much Chris and Kreasu.

Unfortunately Monitor brightness and Ambient brightness stay desesperately both on 0, into the control panel of the App.
All is well installed. I have rode all the explanations of Chris but no changes.
Studio Display Brightness Controller Control Panel_page-0001.jpg

Does the version of my Studio Display firmware could make a pb ? How check its version ? and how upgrade it when installed exclusively on PC ?

All seems to be good cause I have the green bar under the monitor into the App control panel.

Some help will welcome

Error404!

Error404!

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
Hi guys it's Error404! again

GOOD NEWS ! THAT WORKS PERFECTLY !!

After many searches, I used the Microsoft App called Sensor Explorer to watch the sensor running in real time and to check if there is no pb with it at all.

(Download it from Microsoft Store - this is the only way to get it).

So I solved the pb by openning the App SensorExplorer. It woked up the Ambient Sensor, so now it's running fantastic in real time in the App of Chris called Studio Display Brightness Controller.

I'm going to pay him much as a simple coffee. Thanks !

Studio Display Brightness Controller Control Panel OK_page-0001.jpg

Error404!

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
However little pb, when I reduce SensorExplorer (or SensorInfo tried this one too). Brightness doesn't adapt to ambiance lightening anymore. Two numbers are blocked and doesn't varies anymore.

Any help for that plz

Chris_Poland

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
Hello,
If the numbers are blocked it could be that no data is going from ambient light sensor to my app, please try when it happens to force change of monitor brightness by changing "The minimum brightness of the monitor" in Settings. If it helps to change brightness it means that this is the problem with sensor. Unfortunatelly I heard from Kreasu that it happened to him too, but I cannot gain such behaviour on my monitor and that's why it's difficult for me to deal with this problem.

Chris_Poland

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
At the moment, I have only determined that this problem may occur when the monitor is turned off by Windows (in Windows there is a setting in the power options to turn off the monitor after some time). At the moment my application can't handle this situation due to a problem with the library I'm using. I propose to restart the system (so that no suspended library is working in the background), disable the function of turning off the monitor after a time and then run my program.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
I find that after keeping it plugged into my iPad for a while it started working consistently, but there isn't a way to update the firmware on windows only to my understanding, even through VMware or something

Error404!

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
Hello,

I got rid of this with SensorInfo. Then I took Macrorecorder to make a macro sliding the window of Sensorinfo to my TV (which is linked to my PC to watch films).

Thanks to this, the window stays open and I use the same macro to push enter key to make disappear the Studio Display Brightness Controller to push preselectionned Hide button. A little setting in the prefs app should be cool to choose showing/hidding the window's app with a cross to check (but it's not very important at all). I love watching the ambient brightness and monitor brightness auto-adapting themselves.

All is fine now, but a last thing : if someone have the soluce to upgrade the firmware of the Apple Studio Monitor from a PC, I take ! cause I haven't any Apple computer/Ipad around me.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Hello,

I got rid of this with SensorInfo. Then I took Macrorecorder to make a macro sliding the window of Sensorinfo to my TV (which is linked to my PC to watch films).

Thanks to this, the window stays open and I use the same macro to push enter key to make disappear the Studio Display Brightness Controller to push preselectionned Hide button. A little setting in the prefs app should be cool to choose showing/hidding the window's app with a cross to check (but it's not very important at all). I love watching the ambient brightness and monitor brightness auto-adapting themselves.

All is fine now, but a last thing : if someone have the soluce to upgrade the firmware of the Apple Studio Monitor from a PC, I take ! cause I haven't any Apple computer/Ipad around me.
Keep sensorinfo seems to work to combat the ambient brightness sensor having a zero value, I'll add this to the troubleshooting

Error404!

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
@Kreasu : Yes I first tried with SensorExplorer but once the App opened, I had to click on View at first to get the AppleStudio light sensor to work.
Whereas with InfoSensor it was simpliest cause since the opening of the App the AppleStudio light sensor's works good.

I just had to program the automatic opening of the InfoSensor App at Startup in Task Scheduler and all works great.

Chris_Poland

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
This is very strange to me because in my case nothing like this has ever happened, I will try to find out what could be the reason why it happens in your case and not in mine.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
This is very strange to me because in my case nothing like this has ever happened, I will try to find out what could be the reason why it happens in your case and not in mine.
Try a fresh windows 10 install on a spare drive and see if you can reproduce it perhaps

Chris_Poland

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
Unfortunately, at the moment I don't have the time/ability to install clean Windows for testing purposes. Unfortunately, so far this application has taken me much longer than I expected and now I have to deal with other topics that have been waiting their turn.

I remember that some time ago (for other reasons) I changed the settings for turning off USB devices to save power in the Device Manager panel in Windows. Since then I haven't changed anything in these settings and that may be the reason why I don't have this problem, maybe Windows simply disables the sensor to save power. In the device properties panel there is the last tab "Energy management", I have the Polish version of Windows so I don't know if I translated all the terms correctly, but I hope you will know which settings I mean. Maybe try disabling power saving, maybe it will help with this problem. I remember that I changed this option in many places, not just one.

Error404!

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
Thank you Chris for the after-sales service. This App is already fantastic. I have spend much time too to try to recover some datas from this sensor in many searches and via programation but no good results. That's why I'm so happy that you succeed in, cause I'm less experienced with prog.

@Kreasu : I have Win 11 but I have nothing possible to modify into energy management into device manager but maybe have you some clues to search about USB selective suspend power to let awake this AppleLightSensor.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Unfortunately, at the moment I don't have the time/ability to install clean Windows for testing purposes. Unfortunately, so far this application has taken me much longer than I expected and now I have to deal with other topics that have been waiting their turn.

I remember that some time ago (for other reasons) I changed the settings for turning off USB devices to save power in the Device Manager panel in Windows. Since then I haven't changed anything in these settings and that may be the reason why I don't have this problem, maybe Windows simply disables the sensor to save power. In the device properties panel there is the last tab "Energy management", I have the Polish version of Windows so I don't know if I translated all the terms correctly, but I hope you will know which settings I mean. Maybe try disabling power saving, maybe it will help with this problem. I remember that I changed this option in many places, not just one.
The other setting is in power options in the control panel, that didn't seem to work however, if I figure it out I'll post here

Chris_Poland

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
Hello everyone!

I have prepared a new version of the application 1.2.0.0, the changes are:
- stability fix
- the icon in the tray is grayed when the monitor is not connected and colored when it is connected

The new link is:
https:<slash><slash>rebrand.ly<slash>sdbc_v1-2-0-0

Kreasu_ could you please update the link in the main post.

Error404!

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
Hi Chris !

I'm happy for the update but I don't see any difference with the 1.1.0.0 version
("the icon in the tray is grayed when the monitor is not connected and colored when it is connected" doesn't work for me)

A precision :
We just have to replace the App ? We haven't to relaunch the full install isn't it ?

Chris_Poland

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
I think that you haven't downloaded the right version, Kreasu haven't changed the link in the main post. Please use this one: (change <slash> to slash of course:)
https:<slash><slash>rebrand.ly<slash>sdbc_v1-2-0-0

Chris_Poland

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
to get the new version, download the newest version, exit the app, delete the whole folder, and replace the folder with new files, that's all, you don't have to do anyhing more

Error404!

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2023
At first yes I downloaded the right version initialy.
I done exactly what you wrote but no changes.

However I just thought I haven't reboot my PC. That's perhaps the cause. I'll try it when I'll joint it.

missaq

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2023
Apple Studio Display with Windows - Audio / Microphone Issues

Hey guys,

I have a Studio Display that I use with my MacBook Air (mainly personal use) and my HP ZBook Power 15.6 inch G8 Mobile Workstation on Win11 (mainly corporate use).

The devices are connected with the supplied Thunderbolt cable from Studio Display.
A few times a day, with no obvious trigger, the audio will glitch and cut out momentarily (like a loud static sound) and/or the mic will stop working.
This can often be resolved by toggling the inputs in Zoom or Teams, but disrupts my meetings as people suddenly can't hear me.

Everything runs smoothly with the Macbook.
With the HP ZBook, the problems started after about a month.
I'm not sure anymore, but somehow I have the feeling that it happened after a Windows update.
I have tried updating all drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling etc. without success.

I have also tried different Thunderbolt 4 cables from other manufacturers. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem either

Have any of you had the same experience and been able to fix it?

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Apple Studio Display with Windows - Audio / Microphone Issues

Hey guys,

I have a Studio Display that I use with my MacBook Air (mainly personal use) and my HP ZBook Power 15.6 inch G8 Mobile Workstation on Win11 (mainly corporate use).

The devices are connected with the supplied Thunderbolt cable from Studio Display.
A few times a day, with no obvious trigger, the audio will glitch and cut out momentarily (like a loud static sound) and/or the mic will stop working.
This can often be resolved by toggling the inputs in Zoom or Teams, but disrupts my meetings as people suddenly can't hear me.

Everything runs smoothly with the Macbook.
With the HP ZBook, the problems started after about a month.
I'm not sure anymore, but somehow I have the feeling that it happened after a Windows update.
I have tried updating all drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling etc. without success.

I have also tried different Thunderbolt 4 cables from other manufacturers. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem either

Have any of you had the same experience and been able to fix it?
I have had this issue more so when I had first gotten it, but no so much anymore. I didn't update anything but I made sure that my thunderbolt controller firmware and bios was updated to the latest as well as insuring that I have the Intel thunderbolt control panel installed and I haven't really had any issues since. I find that the asd is picky with power strips, i gave it it's own dedicated outlet and that helped as well.

missaq

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2023
I have had this issue more so when I had first gotten it, but no so much anymore. I didn't update anything but I made sure that my thunderbolt controller firmware and bios was updated to the latest as well as insuring that I have the Intel thunderbolt control panel installed and I haven't really had any issues since. I find that the asd is picky with power strips, i gave it it's own dedicated outlet and that helped as well.
Hey thank you so much!!!
The socket is the only thing I haven't tried yet.
In fact, the ASD is on a power strip at the moment.
I will change that tomorrow immediately.
An extension cable shouldn't be a problem, should it?

What exactly is "Intel thunderbolt control panel"?
Is that a specific programme? Can you show me a screenshot?

Do you update the thunderbolt controllers directly via Intel or Pc manufacturer site?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.