Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
So, the display itself works fine, but neither the camera or speakers are detected. I'll have a play about with settings, but I'm suspecting this is due to the corporate build of the laptop which will be locked-down.
Ah yeah you need to install drivers for the USB devices (camera speaker mic)

Reactions: ascender

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Hello guys,

I hope you can help me.

In addition to my Mac Mini, I would also like to use my work laptop on an ASD. The work laptop is unfortunately a bit outdated... It's about a:
  • HP ProBook 650 G2
  • with Intel Core i5-6200U
  • with Intel HD Graphics
  • with only 1 DisplayPort 1.2 port (no HDMI port present)
  • Max. resolutions up to 2560 x 1600, 30-bit color depth at 60 Hz)
Now my question: Is it possible to use the old laptop (with DP 1.2 and low resolution) with a DP->USB C cable with the ASD? (I'd like to avoid having a second screen on the desk.)
You'll need to make sure that the cable you get has a data stream in the right direction, or a bi directional (like a moshi cable) cable. Using this type of connection won't let you use the speakers, camera and mic since that requires a USB connection. You'll still be limited to the lower resolution but in theory it should work.

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
Hello, I have an Apple Studio Display and would like to know if there is the possibility to operate the display with a Windows PC, unfortunately I have found no meaningful instructions on how exactly this works, nor which cable is needed for this exactly?

The Apple Studio Display is to be connected to a RTX 4090 (have so far only read that there is a BELKIN VR cable where also webcam, speakers of the Apple Studio Display "supposed" to work) - has anyone ever tried this "venture" or know if this is even possible?

ta12vb87

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
you're kidding right? Start reading this thread from the very beginning. you'll find all the info you need

ta12vb87

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
Hello, I have an Apple Studio Display and would like to know if there is the possibility to operate the display with a Windows PC, unfortunately I have found no meaningful instructions on how exactly this works, nor which cable is needed for this exactly?

The Apple Studio Display is to be connected to a RTX 4090 (have so far only read that there is a BELKIN VR cable where also webcam, speakers of the Apple Studio Display "supposed" to work) - has anyone ever tried this "venture" or know if this is even possible?
see my previous post

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Mine arrived today. FYI, I am a full-time Mac user that got a new job recently, requiring PC use. I have been searching for a good work-from-home monitor and have been frustrated by various color, contrast, or design issues that I have tried elsewhere. At a previous job I worked on an iMac, so I know that the panel works for me.

The Studio Display is clearly excellent for all Macs - it does everything you want or need of an external display. Its compatibility with PC is decent, except for the brightness and color profile controls lacking. I will reach out to my IT department and request an install of boot camp drivers, but if they deny the request I’m not sure I can keep the display. It’s too hindered for daily PC use in such a simple way.

It’s quite frustrating that Apple has the power to fix this compatibility issue but chooses not to. Especially for someone that already buys their products and cannot control the OS their job requires. They may lose my sale because of a simple driver issue.

Dark-Signature

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2022
Mine arrived today. FYI, I am a full-time Mac user that got a new job recently, requiring PC use. I have been searching for a good work-from-home monitor and have been frustrated by various color, contrast, or design issues that I have tried elsewhere. At a previous job I worked on an iMac, so I know that the panel works for me.

The Studio Display is clearly excellent for all Macs - it does everything you want or need of an external display. Its compatibility with PC is decent, except for the brightness and color profile controls lacking. I will reach out to my IT department and request an install of boot camp drivers, but if they deny the request I’m not sure I can keep the display. It’s too hindered for daily PC use in such a simple way.

It’s quite frustrating that Apple has the power to fix this compatibility issue but chooses not to. Especially for someone that already buys their products and cannot control the OS their job requires. They may lose my sale because of a simple driver issue.
1. why would Apple voluntarily make its own product compatible with the competition?
2. in order to change this situation, more users, like you, would have to send a request to Apple. i already sent my request to Apple last year for the Apple Studio Display. Just complaining about it in a forum or complaining about the situation will probably not change anything.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
1. why would Apple voluntarily make its own product compatible with the competition?
2. in order to change this situation, more users, like you, would have to send a request to Apple. i already sent my request to Apple last year for the Apple Studio Display. Just complaining about it in a forum or complaining about the situation will probably not change anything.
The reason, I believe, is accessibility. I'm sure Apple's research shows that restricting to mostly Apple/Mac functionality leads to greater overall dollars gained (the primary reason the walls of the garden grow higher every year). But it eliminates anyone using a PC that may be interested in splurging for a 5k display, for whatever reason. That means a part-time user like me, or a full-time PC user that doesn't have many options. It's $1600-ish that Apple isn't getting every time this happens.

Further, Apple used to offer Target Display Mode for all iMacs but took it away, again in the name of profits. There's no good reason to restrict functionality other than greed here. The design of the Studio Display is lacking such basic features that every other monitor on the market has, you can see the blatant restrictions baked right into the design of the product. I don't think there's any mystery as to what's happening.

Feedback was submitted to Apple prior to commenting here, just fyi.

Last edited:

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
Which cable can you recommend that does work with a RTX 4090 to the Apple Studio Display? (Maybe some has a good recommendation that I can get here in Germany)

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
Which cable can you recommend that does work with a RTX 4090 to the Apple Studio Display? (Maybe some has a good recommendation that I can get here in Germany)
If you want to use all the features you either need to have a thunderbolt connector with display pass through on your motherboard (like an Asus proart board) or use a belkin vr cable to pass the usb and displayport data.

If you only care about display, the the moshi bi directional displayport to usb c port will suffice.

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
If you want to use all the features you either need to have a thunderbolt connector with display pass through on your motherboard (like an Asus proart board) or use a belkin vr cable to pass the usb and displayport data.

If you only care about display, the the moshi bi directional displayport to usb c port will suffice.
Can you give me a link for the cables especially for the Belkin one?

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
Can you give me a link for the cables especially for the Belkin one?
This cable worked fine for me: CableCreation 8K Bi-Directional DisplayPort to USB C Cable
5K@60Hz works fine with this cable. I have a 6950 XT graphics card which has a USB-C port for output. I have a TB4 cable coming today that I'm hoping will provide all the Apple Studio Display features (Webcam, Brightness & Audio Controls. etc.). I will report back how that goes.

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
This cable worked fine for me: CableCreation 8K Bi-Directional DisplayPort to USB C Cable
5K@60Hz works fine with this cable. I have a 6950 XT graphics card which has a USB-C port for output. I have a TB4 cable coming today that I'm hoping will provide all the Apple Studio Display features (Webcam, Brightness & Audio Controls. etc.). I will report back how that goes.
Thank you so much

Do you have the newest Apple Studio Display firmware installed and it still works with the cable you posted above that is Bi-Directional?

Can you tell me maybe where to find that cable in Germany? I can’t find it on Amazon.de

Last edited:

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
Thank you so much

Do you have the newest Apple Studio Display firmware installed and it still works with the cable you posted above that is Bi-Directional?

Can you tell me maybe where to find that cable in Germany? I can’t find it on Amazon.de
No prob. The ASD firmware is up to date and the cable is Bi-Directional. One of these might work. As long as it is Bi-Directional and 8K capable, it should provide 5K@60Hz.

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
The Cable Matters Thunderbolt 4 cable came in today. Plugged it into the USB-C port on my graphics card (AMD 6950 XT) and everything works except brightness control. The camera, sound, volume control and 5K@60Hz are all working. I will install the Boot Camp drivers here shortly, hoping it provides brightness control. I'm pretty happy right now to say the least.

Edit: Downloaded and installed BootCamp drivers using Brigadier and following this video verbatim. Everything is working now including brightness control (via BootCamp slider).

Last edited:

sigomez

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Houston, TX
Hi Everyone - I recently bought my second ASD monitor, I use a Lenovo x380 for work and the first monitor works great with my work computer but for some off reason I am unable to get the second monitor to work. I have tried the USB C to HDMI and connected it directly to the computers HDMI port but unfortunately no luck. Is it safe to assume that I need to buy a thunderbolt Dock in order to get both monitors working? Any recommendations on which dock to buy?

Thanks in advance.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hi Everyone - I recently bought my second ASD monitor, I use a Lenovo x380 for work and the first monitor works great with my work computer but for some off reason I am unable to get the second monitor to work. I have tried the USB C to HDMI and connected it directly to the computers HDMI port but unfortunately no luck. Is it safe to assume that I need to buy a thunderbolt Dock in order to get both monitors working? Any recommendations on which dock to buy?
Lenovo x380 only has UHD Graphics 620 so you can't get 5K unless you try a lower refresh rate such as 47Hz?

What USB-C to HDMI adapter did you try? They are not bidirectional, so you must use a HDMI to USB-C adapter such as the Club-3d CAC-1336. That is a HDMI 2.1 to DisplayPort 1.4 adapter so it should be able to support width > 4K. Since the source is HDMI 2.0, you might be able to get 5K 39Hz.

It is unclear from the Lenovo specs whether the Thunderbolt port can support one or two displays. If it can support two displays, then any Thunderbolt dock should work but since you want to connect two USB-C displays, maybe something like the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 would be simplest. A Thunderbolt 4 dock may also work.
https://www.caldigit.com/caldigit-t...hub-compatibility-and-limitations-on-windows/
If the dock has DisplayPort outputs, then a USB + DisplayPort to USB-C cable can work.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/alternative-to-the-belkin-vr-cable.2378619/

sigomez

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Houston, TX
Lenovo x380 only has UHD Graphics 620 so you can't get 5K unless you try a lower refresh rate such as 47Hz?

What USB-C to HDMI adapter did you try? They are not bidirectional, so you must use a HDMI to USB-C adapter such as the Club-3d CAC-1336. That is a HDMI 2.1 to DisplayPort 1.4 adapter so it should be able to support width > 4K. Since the source is HDMI 2.0, you might be able to get 5K 39Hz.

It is unclear from the Lenovo specs whether the Thunderbolt port can support one or two displays. If it can support two displays, then any Thunderbolt dock should work but since you want to connect two USB-C displays, maybe something like the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 would be simplest. A Thunderbolt 4 dock may also work.
https://www.caldigit.com/caldigit-t...hub-compatibility-and-limitations-on-windows/
If the dock has DisplayPort outputs, then a USB + DisplayPort to USB-C cable can work.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/alternative-to-the-belkin-vr-cable.2378619/
Thanks so much for the reply -- I am thinking it might just be the laptop that doesn't support the monitors. I bought the caldigit docking station and it still only picks up one monitor, it is so weird because if I remove one then it picks up the other one, so I know the cables I am using are okay. I did also buy the Club3d adapter and waiting for that to come in to try as a last resort. The docking station actually connects both monitors if I am using my MacBook Pro.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks so much for the reply -- I am thinking it might just be the laptop that doesn't support the monitors. I bought the caldigit docking station and it still only picks up one monitor, it is so weird because if I remove one then it picks up the other one, so I know the cables I am using are okay. I did also buy the Club3d adapter and waiting for that to come in to try as a last resort. The docking station actually connects both monitors if I am using my MacBook Pro.
What's a CalDigit Docking Station? I think you are talking about one of their Thunderbolt docks? Which one?

If the dock can connect two displays to a MacBook Pro but only one display to the Lenovo x380, then it might mean that Lenovo did not pipe a second DisplayPort connection to the Thunderbolt controller.

sigomez

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Houston, TX
What's a CalDigit Docking Station? I think you are talking about one of their Thunderbolt docks? Which one?

If the dock can connect two displays to a MacBook Pro but only one display to the Lenovo x380, then it might mean that Lenovo did not pipe a second DisplayPort connection to the Thunderbolt controller.
Sorry about that. I bought the

CalDigit TS4 Thunderbolt 4 Dock - 18 Ports, 98W Charging, 3x Thunderbolt 4 40Gb/s, 5 x USB-A, 3 x USB-C (10Gb/s), 2.5GbE, Single 8K or Dual 6K 60Hz Displays, Mac, PC, Chrome Compatible with 0.8m Cable​

If you don’t mind me asking, what do you mean by the “did not pipe a second display port”

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Finally got this working with my client's Windows laptop using the standard Apple TB cable and its great. Everything supported out the box with no faffing. Only thing is the laptop's fans go into overdrive, its just like the good old Apple Intel days.

What would be the easiest way to have this working with a Mac Studio and Windows laptop without the need to just unplug the TB cable every time. A dock or switch I'm presuming, but what's the latest view on the best one to buy please?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I bought the

CalDigit TS4 Thunderbolt 4 Dock - 18 Ports, 98W Charging, 3x Thunderbolt 4 40Gb/s, 5 x USB-A, 3 x USB-C (10Gb/s), 2.5GbE, Single 8K or Dual 6K 60Hz Displays, Mac, PC, Chrome Compatible with 0.8m Cable​

If you don’t mind me asking, what do you mean by the “did not pipe a second display port”
The laptop has a Thunderbolt controller that connects to the Thunderbolt port. The Thunderbolt controller sends signals to the Thunderbolt port. The signals can be USB, DisplayPort or Thunderbolt depending on what is connected to the Thunderbolt port. A Thunderbolt signal can include tunnelled PCIe and tunnelled DisplayPort. To transmit a DisplayPort signal or tunnel a DisplayPort connection, a DisplayPort output from the GPU must be connected to a DisplayPort input of the Thunderbolt controller. To tunnel two DisplayPort connections (for two displays), a second DisplayPort output from the GPU must be connected to a second DisplayPort input of the Thunderbolt controller. PC laptop manufacturers often cheap out on this point. You need to find a laptop that specifies two displays from a Thunderbolt port, or that specifies Thunderbolt 4 which is guaranteed to allow two displays from a Thunderbolt port.

Your laptop has 3 display outputs: the internal display, the Thunderbolt port, and the HDMI port. The GPU only supports 3 display outputs so the only way it could connect two outputs to the Thunderbolt port is if it added a switch between the HDMI port and the Thunderbolt controller. A switch adds cost and takes space on the motherboard.

Can you verify that the TS4 Thunderbolt 4 Dock is connected properly as Thunderbolt? You should be able to see the 2.5 GbE controller in the Device Manager (view by connection) as a PCI device under a Thunderbolt PCI bridge.

One way to connect two displays to a single DisplayPort connection is to use an MST hub, but this will halve the output for each display from 4K60 (or 5K47) to 4K30 (or 5K23). I don't know what the lowest refresh rate the Apple Studio Display can support. Someone will have to test with some custom timings. I think you might prefer trying to get a USB-C signal from the HDMI port using a CAC-1336.

Another way is to not use DisplayPort. Instead, use USB. A DisplayLink adapter is a USB adapter that can output a DisplayPort signal. It uses compression to transmit video from the CPU to the display. 4K60 (12 Gbps) is compressed to ≈ 1 Gbps. It's not great for gaming or video.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Finally got this working with my client's Windows laptop using the standard Apple TB cable and its great. Everything supported out the box with no faffing. Only thing is the laptop's fans go into overdrive, its just like the good old Apple Intel days.

What would be the easiest way to have this working with a Mac Studio and Windows laptop without the need to just unplug the TB cable every time. A dock or switch I'm presuming, but what's the latest view on the best one to buy please?
I think the fans go into overdrive because of the extra display connected to the GPU of the laptop. Therefore the only way to stop that is to use an eGPU. If you want to disconnect the display without disconnecting the cable, then a USB-C switch may be sufficient. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/two-computers-and-one-studio-display.2337419/post-31975883 It will reduce the link to either Thunderbolt 20 Gbps or USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode (I'm not sure which - use Device Manager to find out). In the former case, you might see USB write performance reduced slightly to less than 5 Gbps. In the latter case, USB is reduced to USB 2.0 speed. If the GPU doesn't support DSC then the display will be reduced from 5K60 to 4K60 (possibly 5K47 with a custom timing).

What GPU does Device Manager (view by connection) show is connected to each display?

Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I think the fans go into overdrive because of the extra display connected to the GPU of the laptop. Therefore the only way to stop that is to use an eGPU. If you want to disconnect the display without disconnecting the cable, then a USB-C switch may be sufficient. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/two-computers-and-one-studio-display.2337419/post-31975883 It will reduce the link to either Thunderbolt 20 Gbps or USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode (I'm not sure which - use Device Manager to find out). In the former case, you might see USB write performance reduced slightly to less than 5 Gbps. In the latter case, USB is reduced to USB 2.0 speed. If the GPU doesn't support DSC then the display will be reduced from 5K60 to 4K60 (possibly 5K47 with a custom timing).

What GPU does Device Manager (view by connection) show is connected to each display?
Thanks, will order that switch and see how I get on.

I'll have a look at Device Manager to see what's going on, but tbh, the fans being on doesn't really bother me as I don't need to use that laptop all the time with the Display - it just makes some things much easier not he large screen. I'll check that out though, thanks 👍🏻

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.