Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyOwnDrummer

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2022
USA
Have they really been "anxiously" waiting? Beside tech reviewers I don't know anyone who cares. What's this new iPad going to do that my 3 year old iPad can't? It's still the same limited OS.

Sign of weakness, disagreement in the Apple team... And knowing Apple this means the iPad line will remain controversial. Not well.
“Tim Cook on the line sir. He heard you can diagnose the problems at Apple and return the iPad division to profitability. He’d like to hear your ideas.“

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
“Apple’s got REALLY good at keeping their suppliers quiet. So, yeah, we’re just wildly guessing at this point… they usually DO release those in March… or April… or May… or during the year? So, rather than potentially have people stop reading my newsletter because I really don’t have information, I’ll put out there that there’s a product that Apple plans to release this year that they haven’t finished planning the delivery of.

Yes, I know that doesn’t make sense for anyone that knows ANYTHING about the logistics of manufacturing, packaging and shipping physical devices, but I’m counting on the majority of my audience knowing nothing about the logistics of manufacturing, packaging and shipping physical devices.”

bertiespeirs

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
London, UK
I wonder if the recent earthquake in Taiwan has any impact on the Apple supply chain / release plans? Obviously the main thoughts are with all the locals affected - just aware this kind of event can have far wider consequences that most realise

ace8cjc

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
It feels like the iPad is headed for irrelevance.

iPhones are now large enough to provide 95% of the value the iPad provides - which is primarily just serving up content.

For productivity, the iPhone + MacBook combo beats an iPhone + iPad combo.

The only differentiator with the iPad is drawing.

Long term, I think Apple’s only play here is to either wind down the iPad in favor of the Vision Pro, which provides a similar value proposition (consuming content & light productivity), or combining the iPad and MacBook in to a touch screen MacBook running MacOS + iOS.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Show light text on true-black background. Have a centered camera in landscape orientation. Weigh less. Cost less for a 12.9” model.
These are all things that I really don't care about. I know OLED looks great, but I really don't want OLED on my iPad since it has static images on it a lot. The camera change is nice, but not worth upgrading from my M1 11" pro. I don't think there is much of a reason to upgrade an iPad that isn't older than the 2018 Pro.

• Disagree
Reactions: jo-1 and gusmula

Yammabot

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Northern NJ
If my old one was working it’d no big deal but since it crapped out over a month ago I’m very unhappy Apple hasn’t gotten around to their core products yet! Maybe stop waisting time & resources on stuff that’s obviously going nowhere in a hurry?

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Have they really been "anxiously" waiting? Beside tech reviewers I don't know anyone who cares. What's this new iPad going to do that my 3 year old iPad can't? It's still the same limited OS.
I agree. I still think the 2018 11" iPad Pro is the best back for buck iPad: USB-C, laminated display, Face-ID, quad-speakers, and Pencil 2. And for what 99% of people use them for, the A12X is indistinguishable from an M1. And that 2018 model can be found for less than the cost of the newest regular iPad which is worse in nearly every spec.

Artsketch

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2019
Blooming is a thing and if you read a lot late at night it isn’t easy on the eyes.
My iPP 12.9 has hardly any blooming but I don't read white text on a black background in the dark. It's bad for the eyes even without blooming. But I belong to a generation that grew up with printed books that you can't read in poor ambient lighting either.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Because the 11-inch doesn’t have mini-LED and the mini-LED 12.9-inch iPad Pro has pretty bad blooming.

I’d very much like to go from my 12.9-inch M1 with mini LED to an 11-inch with OLED.

A relatively affordable 11” OLED iPad Pro would be a very nice device. I have no desire for a new iPad but if I ever do, that one sounds about perfect.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

dcbl

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2021
Leidli T'enneh Territory
The iPad mini always had longer refresh cycles. It was 3.5 years at one point.
Which makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if a substantial majority of iPad mini buyers were corporate. My company is a deeply entrenched Microsoft/Esri/Intel/Lenovo shop with the single exception of the iPad mini, of which we have about as many units as we have staff. There's simply nothing better for field operations as they're extremely reliable, easy to onboard, and much faster than every alternative that's been evaluated. For our crews they can reduce about an hour a day worth of overhead work. Everyone in this industry uses them for field operations because if you don't you're at a competitive disadvantage. The mini is the darling of the corporate world and since most of that use is for things like data collection, mobile staff terminals, point of sale, etc I wouldn't be surprised if Apple keeps the 64GB model around as those applications don't usually require much on-device storage.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
And not even a hint of the new iPad Mini? Apparently it's been 933 days since it was last updated, meaning it's beat out the previous record-holder (the iMac with a whopping 914 days between the M1 iMac vs the M3 model).

Is Apple just too busy innovating to regularly update old, reliable products like the iMac and iPad Mini? I guess it's understandable: cutting-edge features like being able to download apps from random websites and putting icons anywhere on the screen aren't going to invent themselves. :p

podycust

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2017
I must be the only one not anxiously waiting… lol

I’ll probably upgrade my air 4th gen it stops receiving software updates lol

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I was thinking the exact same thing. An M1 iPad Pro is still head and shoulders above the competition and its highly doubtful that Apple could add anything that would make a new iPad Pro a worthwhile upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.