Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
As someone with a 6 year iPad Pro Iā€™m definitely one of those waiting. These are devices with a very nice long upgrade cycle.
Yea, but you could buy one of the current models and pretty much have the same longevityā€¦. As it seems you maybe dont do battery replacement etc

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Why everyone wants eye straining OLED instead of crisp Mini-LED?
I personally donā€™t notice any blooming or issues on the mini-LED 12.9ā€ (although Iā€™m sure itā€™s there!) but rumors are connecting the change to a significant drop in weight and thickness. For a device whose major use case is being carried around, written on, and used in settings that donā€™t accommodate a clamshell MacBookā€”yet currently weighs almost as much as one once you add some protectionā€”any reduction in heft would be a major selling point.

Reactions: G5isAlive

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Have they really been "anxiously" waiting? Beside tech reviewers I don't know anyone who cares. What's this new iPad going to do that my 3 year old iPad can't? It's still the same limited OS.
But-but-but! Youā€™re getting the new and much faster M3 SoC and more MBA-like specs that Apple will never let you put to use.

That means you can like watch more movies and browse the internet even harder than before. Or stuff like that.

And itā€™s only almost completely identical apart from maybe the chassis and display tech.

And weā€™re getting an all new Apple Pencil thatā€™s so high tech and hyper advanced, itā€™ll most likely only work with the new M3 iPads Pro.. because M3 is such a groundbreaking new SoC generation that the new Pencil would literally explode from the loss of profits if paired with an older iPad or an iPhone.

Wowza! šŸ¤Æ

And best of all, you get to tell yourself that Apple is really pushing iPad forward and will totally put macOS on it someday. They just need a few billions more in profits and an additional decade of r&d or five.

Itā€™s the all-new (insert current SoC name) iPad Pro.

-Whatā€™s not to get excited about?

/s

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
I disagree that he was wrong, and I don't get all the hate he gets.

The launch being repeatedly postponed is beyond his control, and I think some people are taking out their frustration on him.
Itā€™s worse: some people are hoping they get delayed so German looks bad. Very normal behavior.

Reactions: shadowboi

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Anyway it will look the same as current model, as well as will feature OLED display, and that is not good. I could not bear my iPhone 11 Pro screen and have to use SE 3 because of serious eye strain sue to flickering. I really wanted iPhone 15 and just because of such screen I bought SE (which is great device but I miss night modešŸ˜¢ I loved shooting stars with tripod on my 11 Pro).

I might look like a cheapskate but still rolling with my Air 2. Good quality display, enough for watching movies and browsing web (with two adblocks! Without it device barely surfs and lags at each ad)

Reactions: mr_jomo

Nixiiao

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2021
Somehow the more I read those iPad "delayed" rumors, the more I feel it's just a way for them to admit "I got the rumor wrong" without taking responsibilities. Also a good way to keep generating visits to the website.

Cesar Battistini

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2017
Brazil
The guy that leaked information for Gurman was caught hahahahahha

Here is my two cents on iPad:

Make the line:
iPad - Has to be actually cheap with Touch ID (aimed at cheaper markets like brasil and India.)
iPad Air - The current pro could be an air. no high refresh rate (most people won't notice).
iPad Pro - OLED display high refresh rate, maybe a new design on the back. Magsafe and USB C. Runs full Mac OS and All iPad apps (no developer choice). could be a little ticker to accommodate the extra battery.

All models with landscape camera,
All models compatible with Apple Pencil 3, and the cheaper pencil that lacks pressure sensitivity

Processors could be:
M1 for iPad
M2 for Air
M3 for Pro

iPad - you want a tablet but is poor or live in a third world country.
iPad Air - want a tablet to consume media, do ocasional gaming and light work
iPad Pro - Could be an actual replacement for a computer - with full Mac OS.

Reactions: shadowboi

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Sign of weakness, disagreement in the Apple team... And knowing Apple this means the iPad line will remain controversial. Not well.
Yes Apple owes us a product they havenā€™t announced, that requires new manufacturing methods, which has no competitive peer in terms of software/display quality/computing power, on the precise month we happen to be expecting it because of external guesses based on ephemeral internal timelines.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Weā€™ll see, but Iā€™d assume the 12.9ā€ iPad Air will cost less than the current 12.9ā€ iPad Pro.
Sure, but you just know the M2 iPads Air will only get 64GB storage on the entry level models.

And next step up is the overpriced , low-value 256GB M2 Air, which makes the 128GB M3 Pros look like a deal by comparison so you end up getting one of those instead.

Same iPads every time, same song and dance with the storage tiers every time.

God forbid Apple ā€œinventsā€ SD-card slots and lets you expand iPad Pro storage without lugging a dongle or external SSD around or spending $2000 for the 2TB iPad Pro.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Sure, but you just know the M2 iPads Air will only get 64GB storage on the entry level models.
Sure, but if screen size is your main need, youā€™ll be able to get that cheaper now. The entry-level storage is sufficient for many people. I myself only use 50 GB currently on my 12.9ā€.

PeterKeller

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
Canada
No point buying until the Student Gift Card deal becomes available in June, anyway. So whether it was march, april may.... makes no difference.

Release a Mini 7 and I'll buy it immediately. They don't have Gift Card deals.

Reactions: Fraserpatty

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
It has been nearly 18 months since Apple last updated its iPad lineup, and customers are anxiously waiting for new models to be announced. For months, there have been rumors about new iPad Pro and iPad Air models, but the estimated timeframe for their release has been repeatedly pushed back from March to April to May.
Well in spite of the delays its was once suggested that it would be April 9th as an announcement, along with iPads being available mid to late April afterwards. It was also thought that iPadOS 17.4.2 might be the build they ship with.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

And next step up is the overpriced , low-value 256GB M2 Air, which makes the 128GB M3 Pros look like a deal by comparison so you end up getting one of those instead.

Same iPads every time, same song and dance with the storage tiers every time.

God forbid Apple ā€œinventsā€ SD-card slots and lets you expand iPad Pro storage without lugging a dongle or external SSD around or spending $2000 for the 2TB iPad Pro.
I'm hoping for these base storages in 2024:

iPad Pro: 256 GB
iPad Air: 128 GB
iPad: 64 GB

That would make a lot of sense since at the low end, 64 GB is sufficient, but 128 GB base for an Air would provide a good incentive to upgrade to the Air.

Reactions: kltmom

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
By the time these OLED iPads come to market it wouldn't be a giant surprise if Samsung were already selling micro-LED tablets and Apple were left playing another decade-long game of catchup.

superberg

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
Schaumburg, IL
My iPP 12.9 has hardly any blooming but I don't read white text on a black background in the dark. It's bad for the eyes even without blooming. But I belong to a generation that grew up with printed books that you can't read in poor ambient lighting either.
My M1 12.9 has obvious and annoying blooming when watching videos or reading. Subtitles on movies, for example, or credit sequences. Of course, itā€™s also very visible when watching shows that feature stars in space, like For All Mankind. HDR videos, which really crank up the brightness, get particularly bad.

Iā€™m not using it to read white-on-black in dark rooms. When I read ebooks, I tend to use dark text on a light background. Unless I am in a very bright environment, my brightness is 50% or lower.

I also grew up reading regular paper books, Iā€™m not sure what point you are trying to make there.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
It feels like the iPad is headed for irrelevance.

iPhones are now large enough to provide 95% of the value the iPad provides - which is primarily just serving up content.

For productivity, the iPhone + MacBook combo beats an iPhone + iPad combo.

The only differentiator with the iPad is drawing.

Long term, I think Appleā€™s only play here is to either wind down the iPad in favor of the Vision Pro, which provides a similar value proposition (consuming content & light productivity), or combining the iPad and MacBook in to a touch screen MacBook running MacOS + iOS.
The iPhone is limited by its screen size. I strongly prefer using an iPad over an iPhone whenever I can.

Tablets have many uses. They are going nowhere.

KikoPT

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
Have they really been "anxiously" waiting? Beside tech reviewers I don't know anyone who cares. What's this new iPad going to do that my 3 year old iPad can't? It's still the same limited OS.
Perfectly summarises what's wrong with the iPad nowadays. Great hardware with limited OS.

I still don't get why they won't give us a macOS / iPadOS dual boot option (or something more transparently).

I have an 2018 iPad Pro 12.9" and I see NO REASON to upgrade. ZERO reasons. It runs everything decently.

However, if they gave me a iPadPro with macOS, where I could use iPadOS and use Mac apps and a decent terminal, I would run for the store.

Microsoft Surface Pro is at what? 10th iteration? ...

• Disagree
Reactions: jo-1 and drrich2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.