Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Have they really been "anxiously" waiting? Beside tech reviewers I don't know anyone who cares. What's this new iPad going to do that my 3 year old iPad can't? It's still the same limited OS.

Dude you are so right. The only reason I upgraded to an Air5 from and Air2 is because battery and lack of software updates. I don’t need freak’n AI or even an OLED in my iPad.

RichHI

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2018
Princeville, HI
Interested as I want to upgrade but hardly anxiously. I knew this would go catawampus when they first mentioned the screens being new technology. I only hope when they launch there is not another "bloomgate" as the pro predecessor had..

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
Interested as I want to upgrade but hardly anxiously. I knew this would go catawampus when they first mentioned the screens being new technology. I only hope when they launch there is not another "bloomgate" as the pro predecessor had..
I'm a bit concerned about this too. Normally I sell the old ones right away, but in this case I think I'll hang on to them for a couple of weeks just in case.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Apple makes way more profit on Mac sales than iPad sales
That likely is not true. I've read estimates in the past that have stated the opposite, that iPad gross margins are actually higher than Mac gross margins. And even if Mac gross margins were higher, they're not "way" higher.

Also, Mac and iPad revenue is in the same ballpark, sometimes with the Mac generating more revenue and sometimes with the iPad generating more revenue.

Reactions: Cesar Battistini

rviets

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
The guy that leaked information for Gurman was caught hahahahahha

Here is my two cents on iPad:

Make the line:
iPad - Has to be actually cheap with Touch ID (aimed at cheaper markets like brasil and India.)
iPad Air - The current pro could be an air. no high refresh rate (most people won't notice).
iPad Pro - OLED display high refresh rate, maybe a new design on the back. Magsafe and USB C. Runs full Mac OS and All iPad apps (no developer choice). could be a little ticker to accommodate the extra battery.

All models with landscape camera,
All models compatible with Apple Pencil 3, and the cheaper pencil that lacks pressure sensitivity

Processors could be:
M1 for iPad
M2 for Air
M3 for Pro

iPad - you want a tablet but is poor or live in a third world country.
iPad Air - want a tablet to consume media, do ocasional gaming and light work
iPad Pro - Could be an actual replacement for a computer - with full Mac OS.
Don't forget education. Why would I spend hundreds of thousands more for a fleet of Airs for young kids?

jdawgnoonan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Jefferson, WI
Genuinely curious,

Drawing aside - which I referenced as a true differentiator in my original post - what uses does an iPad provide that at 6.7” iPhone + MacBook Air not provide?
An excellent second display for my Mac when I travel that I can also use for other things as well, such as playing games or watching movies while on a plane.

Reactions: RichHI

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
That likely is not true. I've read estimates in the past that have stated the opposite, that iPad gross margins are actually higher than Mac gross margins. And even if Mac gross margins were higher, they're not "way" higher.

Also, Mac and iPad revenue is in the same ballpark, sometimes with the Mac generating more revenue and sometimes with the iPad generating more revenue.

One is locked down with App Store. Mac isn’t. iPad keeps on giving to Apple after the sale.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
One is locked down with App Store. Mac isn’t. iPad keeps on giving to Apple after the sale.
True, but to be clear for the others, that's additional gravy. iPad profit estimates and iPad revenue estimates do not include this extra software revenue.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I would love a super thin and light iPad Mini with much smaller bezels and an OLED screen. Doesn't need to be crazy fast. It could be clocked down, so it sips battery. I think they could sell something like this as a premium product. The perfect pocketable media consumption device.

M1 processor, 512GB storage bump, 8GB RAM. All doable.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I think this should have read "MacRumors staff are anxiously waiting for new models".

I don't know anyone who is "anxious" about a simple product release other than you guys to be honest.

I don't know about that, the "new iPad release date thread" has 41 pages already.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
It's a whole new iPad ecosystem, with the keyboard and pencil, and a lot to get people interested. Apparently, new technology with the dual-layer OLED, so all together a big release.

iPads are fantastic. It seems to me the people who are negative about them are those who have to decide between iPads and laptops. Most people I think have both. I do get the negativity.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichHI

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
Dude you are so right. The only reason I upgraded to an Air5 from and Air2 is because battery and lack of software updates. I don’t need freak’n AI or even an OLED in my iPad.
Exactly the same here, from Air 2 to Air 5 and only because the Air 2 became really slow after working excellently for 8 years.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Eagerly waiting to see the new iPads. Still expecting it to launch before WWDC

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011

My M1 12.9 has obvious and annoying blooming when watching videos or reading. Subtitles on movies, for example, or credit sequences. Of course, it’s also very visible when watching shows that feature stars in space, like For All Mankind. HDR videos, which really crank up the brightness, get particularly bad.

I’m not using it to read white-on-black in dark rooms. When I read ebooks, I tend to use dark text on a light background. Unless I am in a very bright environment, my brightness is 50% or lower.

I also grew up reading regular paper books, I’m not sure what point you are trying to make there.
My only assumption for the people who see blooming - is it exclusively your thing to watch screens in entirely dark conditions with absolutely no lights ? Is that your thing ? And why is that so important to you ? When I watch a film or look at an iPad I have at least one room light on so that I can get up and go to the toilet without tripping over the coffee table, a shoe etc. This one light has NO effect whatsoever on the screen I watch in terms of quality, sheen, reflection etc. and if there's blooming there, I wouldn't see it in a million years. It worries me that these forums are just filled with tech "perfectionists" who'll be miserable most of their lives because they're constantly promised something incremently better that may live up to their "finally perfect" criteria, only to be told the week after that the problem isn't really true blacks but dynamic light range or flux capacitor induced light bleed or whatever, and then their new thing will be that. Appreciate what you have and consider the true marvel of technology that it already is, oh and turn on a very dim light too. You'll be way happier...

jo-1

macrumors member
May 13, 2023
At this stage, an iPad with an M3, it's just wasted cpu cycles IMHO.
utterly wrong point of view and hardly any deep thought about using µICs in mobile devices.

1. This is a mobile device - thus you want the least amount of electrical power consumption => the more the heavy duty µICs can idle the better it is - in case you don't understand that you don't understand mobile devices
  2. The M3s are not much more powerful than the M2 µICs but they are more efficient and thus are much better for mobile devices
  3. The hardware accelerated raytracing and mesh shading are also contributing to more efficiency as well as 3 nm vs 5 nm with lower core voltage
  4. GPU optimizations will enable longer and more efficient media consumption and added AV1 decoding for e.g. YT
  5. 15 % faster neural Engine - here also more efficiency and more power in case needed
  6. On top of that the M3 offers better dynamic caching
  7. More efficient display with OLED also improves battery life - utterly important for mobile devices
You WANT the M3 idling most of the time - the more it idles being ultra efficient the longer you can use your mobile device without recharging.
That's the beauty of going from 5 nm to 3 nm and adding further hardware accelerated features as elaborated above.
You want the µIC to be doing nothing for most of the time and doing something for light work like browsing the internet or typing emails and sometimes you want peak performance when computing heavy tasks like editing videos or transcoding stuff or editing images - but that's all nice to have and not the things you normally do on an iPad all day. The battery would simply not last very long.

Additionally the new µIC will be more future proof and with the proposed 16 GB RAM it will have it's 'technology freshness' for years to come.

I am getting the new iPP 11.1" 2024 day one in maxed out configuration - there are two things that make it stand our beside the higher efficiency of the M3 ( which is utterly desired ):

4 TB
OLED display

beside that the last µIC in combination with the built in hardware accelerations will yield in things like 2 external display support and/or usability as a real laptop replacement in case needed in emergency situations.
For me this will be a replacement for my deeply hated Lenovo company laptop since we have a BYOD policy for iPadOS devices and not for laptops. In case the iPad would become macOS this chance would be gone since MACs are not allowed in my company.

Beside that I think the distinction of an ultra mobile device like the iPad and a mobile device like a LapTop is rightly done.

The iPadOS will be improved over time to allow for further use cases but I hope it is never becoming a MAC - in case I want a MAC I'll buy one - in fact I have two - a MBP14" maxed out and an iMP maxed out.

Last edited:

jo-1

macrumors member
May 13, 2023
Okay we have one person asking for this..

The iPad is great as is.

( for me ) it's the first ( notable ) upgrade since the iPP 2018:

• same µIC architecture without significant new features
• same form factor
• same hardware layout
• almost similar RAM and SSD configurations

hardly any benefit in real world usage for the two successors.

The new iPP 2024 however will bring tremendous improvement over all predecessors:

• lighter
• ( much ) better display
• more efficient => same or longer battery life
• significant feature update in µIC architecture with M3
• 4 TB SSD in words 'four terabytes'

This will be the first incarnation of all recent iPads I am willing to consider and independent from webcam orientation this will be an instand buy of the maxed out version.

( my iPad mini does not count since this was just bought due to the tiny form factor for fun )

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.