Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jo-1

macrumors member
May 13, 2023
Have they really been "anxiously" waiting? Beside tech reviewers I don't know anyone who cares. What's this new iPad going to do that my 3 year old iPad can't? It's still the same limited OS.

There is hardly anything your 3 years old iPad could do that the 2018 iPad Pro could not have done either being almost three years older.

Actually no iPad since 2018 could do more with regular tasks.

The iPad Pro 2024 will be the first iPad that will have:

• highest possible image quality
• most efficient performance
• 4 TB storage
• ray tracing, mesh shading, AV1 hardware decoding and dynamic caching => more efficient 3D rendering in gaming and 3D modelling

I guess it is safe to say that the new iPP 2024 will be a game changer in the iPad history and the raw model for future developments.

Not everyone needs 4 TB but for me it's THE singular feature I am longing for the most - the iPad can act as a real LapTop emergency backup - even though I'd prefer 8 TB like in my MBP ;-)

Last edited:

Fandroid killer

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2017

It has been nearly 18 months since Apple last updated its iPad lineup, and customers are anxiously waiting for new models to be announced. For months, there have been rumors about new iPad Pro and iPad Air models, but the estimated timeframe for their release has been repeatedly pushed back from March to April to May.

M3-iPad-Feature-3.jpg

In defense of these rumors, it does sound like Apple has experienced delays with the new iPads. DigiTimes this week cited sources at Taiwanese suppliers who said mass production of camera lenses for the upcoming iPads has been "repeatedly postponed," and the report vaguely mentions that a "production launch" will likely take place in May.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman last week reported that Apple is currently aiming to launch the new iPad Pro and iPad Air models in "early May," and he said production of the devices has already been ramping up in Asia. He said Apple was still finishing iPadOS software development for the new iPads, and added that advanced OLED display manufacturing techniques have also contributed to the delayed launch.

Apple is expected to announce the following products:
Apple last updated the iPad Pro and iPad Air in October 2022 and March 2022, respectively, so new versions of the devices are much anticipated.

Article Link: Apple Suppliers Say New iPads Have Been 'Repeatedly Postponed'
Aka we were wrong yet again so we'll keep guessing

Fandroid killer

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2017
Have they really been "anxiously" waiting? Beside tech reviewers I don't know anyone who cares. What's this new iPad going to do that my 3 year old iPad can't? It's still the same limited OS.
I honestly prefer miniLED that'll last me at least 10 years than OLED that gets you maybe 2 years tops before colors degrade, brightness falls, and it starts to look cheap. As long as they make them OLED I won't buy an iPad again

Reactions: Artsketch

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I honestly prefer miniLED that'll last me at least 10 years than OLED that gets you maybe 2 years tops before colors degrade, brightness falls, and it starts to look cheap. As long as they make them OLED I won't buy an iPad again
You mean like all that screen degradation plaguing all those OLED iPhones?

Artsketch

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2019
If you compare a 12.9 Mini LED with Samsung OLED displays side by side, you will notice that the Mini LED display displays colours much more natural and accurately. It is also brighter and shows more detail in the shadows. As long as you don't read white text on a black background in the dark, you have no image quality advantage. So far, no OLED tablet display has been able to convince me.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
If you compare a 12.9 Mini LED with Samsung OLED displays side by side, you will notice that the Mini LED display displays colours much more natural and accurately. It is also brighter and shows more detail in the shadows. As long as you don't read white text on a black background in the dark, you have no image quality advantage. So far, no OLED tablet display has been able to convince me.
So far no dual-stack mainstream OLED tablet exists AFAIK.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Yes, so far. But we’ll soon find out if Apple has come up with some wizardry to make OLED as good as, or even better than miniLED.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I would love a super thin and light iPad Mini with much smaller bezels and an OLED screen. Doesn't need to be crazy fast. It could be clocked down, so it sips battery. I think they could sell something like this as a premium product. The perfect pocketable media consumption device.
OLED screen for sure. Also agreed on battery being prioritized over performance. No to smaller bezels though. It sounds great in theory but in practice it is terrible to have a device larger than a phone with tiny bezels because you can't wrap your whole hand around it (or at least most people can't). I'm actually looking forward to LARGER side bezels on the ipad mini 7 compared to the ipad mini 5 which is a pain to hold in portrait mode (how I usually use it for ebook reading).

I'd happily spend more on a premium iPad mini pro (maybe they could include an OLED screen on only the upper tier model with the higher storage or something like that).

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
( for me ) it's the first ( notable ) upgrade since the iPP 2018:

• same µIC architecture without significant new features
• same form factor
• same hardware layout
• almost similar RAM and SSD configurations

hardly any benefit in real world usage for the two successors.

The new iPP 2024 however will bring tremendous improvement over all predecessors:

• lighter
• ( much ) better display
• more efficient => same or longer battery life
• significant feature update in µIC architecture with M3
• 4 TB SSD in words 'four terabytes'

This will be the first incarnation of all recent iPads I am willing to consider and independent from webcam orientation this will be an instand buy of the maxed out version.

( my iPad mini does not count since this was just bought due to the tiny form factor for fun )

I have my doubts about 4TB. That's going to be hella-expensive.

jo-1

macrumors member
May 13, 2023
I have my doubts about 4TB. That's going to be hella-expensive.
you have doubts about 4 TB or your ability to afford it? o_O

I have almost no doubt - since it will be an easy cash cow for Apple and that's why I am strongly believing that this will happen. For me it is a key factor.

Apple will probably also add a nano texture option for the screen.

My educated guessing is following:

1. € 1500 .. 1700 - iPad Pro 11.1" OLED with cellular with 256 GB
  2. € 1500 .. 1700 - additional charge for 4 TB
  3. € 350 .. 500 - additional charge for nano texture screen
In total some € 3500 .. 4000 - which is totally fine for me considering how good my iPP 2018 is still working - I bought that also maxed out with 1 TB and got 6 GB RAM - a unique feature from iOS devices for a long time.

I dedicate all my fun gear at my tax declaration and get 45 % back since I am using it for my job.
Needless to say that most gear gets eventually sold or handed down to my mother or friends - normally such gear lasts for a decade or more - considering the longevity of the gear its almost a steal IMHO

( I don't consider € 4 k as expensive ( fro that kind of devices - the AVP will probably cost around € 5 k and I will buy it day one too when it'll be available in Europe )

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
I think they should release new model with just new M3 processor and increase the price.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
you have doubts about 4 TB or your ability to afford it? o_O

I have almost no doubt - since it will be an easy cash cow for Apple and that's why I am strongly believing that this will happen. For me it is a key factor.

Apple will probably also add a nano texture option for the screen.

My educated guessing is following:

1. € 1500 .. 1700 - iPad Pro 11.1" OLED with cellular with 256 GB
  2. € 1500 .. 1700 - additional charge for 4 TB
  3. € 350 .. 500 - additional charge for nano texture screen
In total some € 3500 .. 4000 - which is totally fine for me considering how good my iPP 2018 is still working - I bought that also maxed out with 1 TB and got 6 GB RAM - a unique feature from iOS devices for a long time.

I dedicate all my fun gear at my tax declaration and get 45 % back since I am using it for my job.
Needless to say that most gear gets eventually sold or handed down to my mother or friends - normally such gear lasts for a decade or more - considering the longevity of the gear its almost a steal IMHO

( I don't consider € 4 k as expensive ( fro that kind of devices - the AVP will probably cost around € 5 k and I will buy it day one too when it'll be available in Europe )

Doubts about 4TB as a necessary thing, 2TB are a tiny tiny percentage of sales already. I saw no one predicting 4TB or nano textured screens. Sounds more like wishful thinking than reality, And honestly, the "oh, you don't want it because you can't afford it" blast is tired.

jo-1

macrumors member
May 13, 2023
Doubts about 4TB as a necessary thing, 2TB are a tiny tiny percentage of sales already.
you have details about the take rate? Link?
I saw no one predicting 4TB or nano textured screens.
you should watch the Mac rumors shows 🤣
Sounds more like wishful thinking than reality,
I am happy to revisit my quoted claims when the iPP 2024 gets released - and I am willing to vote with my own money immediately 🤭
And honestly, the "oh, you don't want it because you can't afford it" blast is tired.
Talking about stereotypes mentioning price and value is an utterly individual thing and does not add value for others other than self-revelation

Just avoid pricing which is a subjective thing.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
you have details about the take rate? Link?

you should watch the Mac rumors shows 🤣

I am happy to revisit my quoted claims when the iPP 2024 gets released - and I am willing to vote with my own money immediately 🤭

Talking about stereotypes mentioning price and value is an utterly individual thing and does not add value for others other than self-revelation

Just avoid pricing which is a subjective thing.

I have the 2TB 12.9 6th, but I'm a freak, according to he manager of my local store, who said they don't sell too many 2TB models, compared to the others. iPad sales have dropped the last few years, I would be surprised to see 4TB. Maybe some day.

jo-1

macrumors member
May 13, 2023
I have the 2TB 12.9 6th, but I'm a freak, according to he manager of my local store, who said they don't sell too many 2TB models, compared to the others.
Anecdotal ‚wisdom‘ - according to my car dealer not many of my engine configurations have been sold. Looking at the statistics from the KBA ( our governmental institution ) it is however quite a lot compare to other engines. I was hoping for some tangible statistics.
iPad sales have dropped the last few years, I would be surprised to see 4TB. Maybe some day.
The MBP, Mini & Studio can be ordered with 8 TB and my iPP 2018 had already 1 TB - just typing on it. I‘d be unpleasantly surprised to see them releasing the new one with less than 4 TB - we’ll see soon.

Let’s revisit this discussion in a few days when we have facts and my order will be placed with anger or joy - I desperately need a M3 iPP for my job and I am just an ordinary user that wants to have a real emergency backup for my LapTop with 8 TB - 8 TB would be the better option but that’s coming eventually in 5 .. 6 years from now

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Anecdotal ‚wisdom‘ - according to my car dealer not many of my engine configurations have been sold. Looking at the statistics from the KBA ( our governmental institution ) it is however quite a lot compare to other engines. I was hoping for some tangible statistics.

The MBP, Mini & Studio can be ordered with 8 TB and my iPP 2018 had already 1 TB - just typing on it. I‘d be unpleasantly surprised to see them releasing the new one with less than 4 TB - we’ll see soon.

Let’s revisit this discussion in a few days when we have facts and my order will be placed with anger or joy - I desperately need a M3 iPP for my job and I am just an ordinary user that wants to have a real emergency backup for my LapTop with 8 TB - 8 TB would be the better option but that’s coming eventually in 5 .. 6 years from now

People don't use iPads the same way they use MacBooks or laptops. And even anecdotal evidence isn't needed, to know that 2TB models with a limited OS that cost $2500 with tax are not going to fly off shelves.

And you are listing wishes, not reality. The vast number of people aren't doing what you need to do. I would love a Mini Pro with 2TB of storage. But Apple isn't going to do it because the marget for it isn't there. There could be a 4TB, but I think more likely you will be disappointed.

Reactions: ric22 and antonrg

jo-1

macrumors member
May 13, 2023
People don't use iPads the same way they use MacBooks or laptops.
correct and that's why we have different mobile categories of devices.
And even anecdotal evidence isn't needed, to know that 2TB models with a limited OS that cost $2500 with tax are not going to fly off shelves.
I am pretty sur that more 2 TB devices are selling than 1 TB devices and the price is the reason why Apple is doing it - Apple has a history of selling nice features for a premium surcharge - and I like it to have the ability to buy such things - I bought my iPP 2028 with 1 Tb and received 6 GB RAM for free as the only iOS device for a long time to have such a massive RAM configuration - so for certain users this makes utterly sense and I don't care about the price since it levels out over years of using a device - my 2028 iPP still generates what I want it today and probably for another four years to come - the extra price for a useful configuration levels to a marginal amount of money per month in use.
And you are listing wishes, not reality.
we are a MacRumors - aren't we? It's about RUMORS and I quote the rumors I've heard - some may be true - some don't but that's the nature of this page - right?
The vast number of people aren't doing what you need to do.
Yes - that's why I am in a different position in life than vast number of people ;-)
Irony off - I guess you can cluster users in power users and casual users - I am more the kind of the first incarnation but I am by far not the only one and mobile computing becomes a massive thing now with ever shrinking cluster nodes and thus more efficiency. An ultra power iPP combined with a AVP will be a very powerful mobile setup - don't you think?
I would love a Mini Pro with 2TB of storage. But Apple isn't going to do it because the marget for it isn't there.
???
There could be a 4TB, but I think more likely you will be disappointed.
So may it be but I read at several rumors about the 4 TB option as well as the nano texture screen - that would be an awesome combination and I'll pay whatever Apple charges me - cost is no aspect I am worrying - I am worrying about options to buy more. I did not upgrade my 2018 iPP due to the lackluster offerings of the two successors - just not encouraged and forward looking.
Whatever Apple brings with ultra high end features I will buy in case it makes sense for my current and future daily tasks. I do not understand why people buy anything else than the maxed out version. E.g. my maxed out MBP 14" with the M1 Max is still capable of doing everything the latest PRO version can.

There will be no new iPP for the upcoming 2 years - let's see how the guys from Cupertino will prepare for that? Can't wait to order mine.

I hope I am not going to be disappointed - let's revisit this thread and see how close I came to reality - with the M1 MAX MBP I was spot on with all my predictions in a different forum and people defeating their positions as well. There is nothing to win but a good device and the specs have been freezes a long time ago - lean back and relax ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.