Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
Perfectly summarises what's wrong with the iPad nowadays. Great hardware with limited OS.

I still don't get why they won't give us a macOS / iPadOS dual boot option (or something more transparently).

I have an 2018 iPad Pro 12.9" and I see NO REASON to upgrade. ZERO reasons. It runs everything decently.

However, if they gave me a iPadPro with macOS, where I could use iPadOS and use Mac apps and a decent terminal, I would run for the store.

Microsoft Surface Pro is at what? 10th iteration? ...
Because otherwise people would buy less laptops….

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

Which is dumb. Vast majority don’t own Mac’s. You always want iPad sales over Mac’s anyway.

End result is people buy less iPads and Mac’s. macOS on iPad would expose more to it.

• Disagree
Reactions: jo-1

KikoPT

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
Apple never had any problems on cannibalising their own products.
Heck, price the iPadPro with macOS higher than the laptops ... people will buy it.

Reactions: jo-1

KikoPT

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
Which is dumb. Vast majority don’t own Mac’s. You always want iPad sales over Mac’s anyway.

End result is people buy less iPads and Mac’s. macOS on iPad would expose more to it.
That's it.

Actually I think the iPad Pro with macOS will only sale for those buyers who want a "standard" laptop (8GB, 256GB). Anyone doing hard work requiring CPUs and GPUs, will have to always buy a higher end laptop or desktop.

At this stage, an iPad with an M3, it's just wasted cpu cycles IMHO.

Reactions: psxp

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
I’m glad Apple is continuing to innovate on iPad hardware but given the limitations of iPadOS, I’m starting to wonder what is the point anymore.

It’s like having lambo to drive in only rush hour traffic. All that potential going unused.

Bring macOS or macOS lite to iPad, especially when docked with a keyboard/trackpad.

Reactions: gusmula

ace8cjc

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
The iPhone is limited by its screen size. I strongly prefer using an iPad over an iPhone whenever I can.

Tablets have many uses. They are going nowhere.
Genuinely curious,

Drawing aside - which I referenced as a true differentiator in my original post - what uses does an iPad provide that at 6.7” iPhone + MacBook Air not provide?

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
this is all so funny to me lol. I have never anticipated an iPad the way I am anticipating this one. and of course it’s delay after delay after delay.

come on Apple.

Serqetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2023
Gurman wrong again. Why does MacRumors even report things he says at this point?
You just haven't had your memory erased yet this time around. Don't worry, he'll be "right" again whenever Apple releases new iPads, then his track record will be secured.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Genuinely curious,

Drawing aside - which I referenced as a true differentiator in my original post - what uses does an iPad provide that at 6.7” iPhone + MacBook Air not provide?
I cannot use a MBA as comfortably as I would an iPad.

I can walk around my house using my iPad.

It takes up less space on a table.

An 11" iPad is more portable than a MBA and it can have a cellular connection.

Takes up less space on airline tray table.

I can lie back on a couch and use an iPad more comfortably versus having to prop a MBA on my lap.

It's the perfect size to read magazines.

Those are just the examples that pop into my mind first. I'm sure there are more.

Tablet is a far different device versus any smartphone or laptop.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I find it interesting that Samsung has apparently had difficulty in manufacturing these Apple designed displays, as has been reported. It shows that even leaders in the display business have difficulty meeting Apple’s exacting design standards. It is one of the reasons Apple keeps its innovation edge.

Reactions: drrich2

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
I can’t wait for reports of people’s iPad Pros bending in half since they’re (allegedly) supposed to be 5mm thin.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Have they really been "anxiously" waiting? Beside tech reviewers I don't know anyone who cares. What's this new iPad going to do that my 3 year old iPad can't? It's still the same limited OS.
I am anxiously awaiting a new iPad Pro 13 to replace my 2021 iPad 12.9. I want OLED, Face ID Camera in Landscape and other rumored improvements including new Magic Keyboard. Wanted it last month and can’t wait for it to be announced.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
When the gimped base iPad is refreshed, will they be able to astonish us all by keeping it as out of date as they have done for the past 7 years or so?

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
I find it interesting that Samsung has apparently had difficulty in manufacturing these Apple designed displays, as has been reported. It shows that even leaders in the display business have difficulty meeting Apple’s exacting design standards. It is one of the reasons Apple keeps its innovation edge.
So Apple's Samsung produced displays are better than the displays Samsung put in their own top of the range devices? Link to proof of this, please...

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Sign of weakness, disagreement in the Apple team... And knowing Apple this means the iPad line will remain controversial. Not well.
There is no indication, in this story or elsewhere, that there is "weakness, disagreement" much less "controversial". What makes you think that?

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
Sign of weakness, disagreement in the Apple team... And knowing Apple this means the iPad line will remain controversial. Not well.
I’m not sure we know for sure that there has been “disagreement in the Apple team,” do we? This likely just means production and software issues/bugs, no?

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
It feels like the iPad is headed for irrelevance.

iPhones are now large enough to provide 95% of the value the iPad provides - which is primarily just serving up content.

For productivity, the iPhone + MacBook combo beats an iPhone + iPad combo.

The only differentiator with the iPad is drawing.

Long term, I think Apple’s only play here is to either wind down the iPad in favor of the Vision Pro, which provides a similar value proposition (consuming content & light productivity), or combining the iPad and MacBook in to a touch screen MacBook running MacOS + iOS.
I use my 11” iPad Pro all day, supplementing my desktop MacBook Pro/external display which sits upstairs. I’m a writer and use Word to write (changes automatically registered on each device via cloud) and research on web. If I want the definition of any word I just select it and the dictionary pops up; a separate Word doc keeps my clipped notes from any document or source, and when I want to print something I do so wirelessly, through AirPrint, to my printer upstairs. I also use apps like iAnnotate and keep docs in Files. It’s a seamless system that is second nature to me and crucial to my productivity.

Right now I’m typing this on my iPad while lounging in my living room recliner. I don’t consume content much on it (except printed matter) and would never watch anything on that small a screen. That’s what my big TV is for.

Reactions: jo-1 and RevTEG

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
This is the price for Apple's mistaken redirection of significant engineering resource into the failing Apple Vision Pro project.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Have they really been "anxiously" waiting? Beside tech reviewers I don't know anyone who cares. What's this new iPad going to do that my 3 year old iPad can't? It's still the same limited OS.
I’m only one but absolutely yes I’m anxiously waiting these new iPads. I’ll buy 25 as soon as they're available. Moving the camera location alone will have me replacing all our personal and business iPad Pro‘s. The iPad has been a game changer for me. Until the MacBook has a rear camera and built in unlimited data, it will never Replace iPad’s for my use case. One device, connected to local data, going live from areas needing relief aid, the iPad shines.

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
We’re still waiting because of camera lenses? Just take the camera off, no-one uses it!
Must disagree. I use my iPad camera constantly. It’s a device that mostly stays at home and I use it there to take pictures of the grandkids. Great viewfinder, great picture quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.