Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by 9to5Mac, iOS 16.1.1 and the iOS 16.2 beta add a new "Everyone for 10 Minutes" option for AirDrop in China, limiting the amount of time that iPhone users can wirelessly receive files from strangers. The setting was reportedly added after protesters in the country used AirDrop to spread anti-government material.

AirDrop-iOS-16-Feature.jpg

AirDrop normally has three options, including "Receiving Off," "Contacts Only," and "Everyone." When the "Everyone" option is selected, any other iPhone user within close proximity can attempt to send you a file over AirDrop, resulting in a pop-up on the screen with an option to accept or deny the file transfer, with no time limit. In China, Apple has replaced the "Everyone" option with "Everyone for 10 Minutes," which has a 10-minute limit. After this time elapses, AirDrop automatically switches to the "Contacts Only" setting.

AirDrop-Everyone-For-10-Minutes.jpg
Screenshot Credit: Mark Gurman

Apple told Bloomberg's Mark Gurman that it plans to roll out the new AirDrop setting globally in the coming year in an effort to reduce unwanted file sharing. Since the feature launched in 2011, some iPhone users have received inappropriate photos or been pranked by strangers via AirDrop, especially in crowded areas like shopping malls and airplanes.

It's unclear exactly when the setting will be made available in additional countries, or if Apple will allow users to customize the time limit in the future.

Article Link: Apple to Fight AirDrop Spam With New iPhone Setting Launching Widely Next Year

Last edited:

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
As someone who works in a school, I can tell you this has become an enormous problem. I am not sure if it's the "right" decision, but it will help the situation we are frequently dealing with inappropriate pictures being airdropped.

I am aware that no matter what, students have to accept it, and they have a degree of responsibility, not just the one sending it.

PJWilkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Wow. China says jump, Tim Cook is already in the air.

Wish anyone else besides China could get this kind of response out of Apple.

It’s not really China, it’s better security not to leave the device open for airdrop

I wish they’d implement another option
to let it be for selected users (like Focus modes can select), rather than for contacts

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Never had a random airdrop. Ever - my experience is not a reflection of a whole though. I'm not a fan of the 10 minute limit. I have mine set to everyone because my work stuff is NOT linked to my appleid, nor is it a contact. It should be optional for those that want it. Not a forced feature.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
It’s not really China, it’s better security not to leave the device open for airdrop

I wish they’d implement another option
to let it be for selected users (like Focus modes can select), rather than for contacts

I agree it's a good change. Just very interesting that it was only changed in China, and due to "anti-government messages."

Those "protestors" were using AirDrop because it's one of the only ways to have direct electronic communication that won't get you disappeared. Or possibly just as likely, a way to get content onto someone's device so they *will* get disappeared. See CSAM scanning.

So China makes a little call to Apple, and bam there's the feature. That everyone else needed. A long time ago. But only in China.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
I hope they keep everyone, and make the 10 minutes a slider for custom time.
Always everyone makes no sense. Who ever wants a file from a random stranger unless you’re actively expecting it? So this lets you turn on the setting long enough for the exchange without having to add each other as contacts.

Exchange stuff with the same person again and the first thing you should do is exchange contact cards.

b&

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Wow. China says jump, Tim Cook is already in the air.

Wish anyone else besides China could get this kind of response out of Apple.
In fairness, possessing that material could get the user into trouble, so it's a double edged sword.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
This is so dumb, and diminishes one of the most significant use cases for AirDrop. The "Everyone" setting is what makes AirDrop just work when used in the wild. Contacts Only is a finicky setting that doesn't always work, too much criteria required for it to line up.

A better solution that requires more work on Apple's part is:
- Get rid of the modal and make it banner, with a time limit to accept (like 30 seconds).
- Do not show a preview.
- Show only the name of the person sharing with you.

This makes it easy to ignore if it is unwanted, and is still available and functional to just work in the moment when you want someone to send you something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.