Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
If “Contacts Only” actually worked then nobody would be using “Everyone”
This. I keep mine on everyone because "contacts only" doesn't work most of the time and because I often do airdrop with coworkers who are not in my contacts anyway.
Who is leaving the setting on to let everyone send you things via airdrop? I usually have it off and only turn it on if someone specifically needs to send me something. Am I the weird one for not having the default setting as letting everyone send me who knows what?
I do, and I often tell others to do the same for sheer simplicity. It is very tedious for people to keep turning theirs on and off like you are suggesting. You'd be surprised how many people seem to have absolutely no idea how airdrop works.

Reactions: bankshot

matthew12

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Even with it being first thought up of by the CCP, I think this is actually a good idea. Cannot state how many times I see random people's iPhones with wide open AirDrop. So this is a good thing.

Reactions: ApplesAreSweet&Sour

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
Didn't realize this was such a big problem that it warranted this kind of response?

As a few others have said, I've never had someone attempt an AirDrop to me randomly, and I was under the impression you can't see someone if the phone is asleep. Must be geared towards densely populated areas...

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Yeah airdrop is a bad example actually, I was thinking of the feature where anything you receive via iMessage goes straight to your photo library.

But this is why people are upset about the CSAM scanning in general. Of course no one is in favor of CSAM, but once the scanning system is in place, there are possibilities there that didn't exist before. The comparison to an authoritarian government requesting and quickly getting a feature and using information suppression as the actual overt reason, I do see a technical connection.
In reality, though, if an authoritarian government wanted to grab someone out of their car today and take them off to an undisclosed location, they wouldn’t need to load their phone with CSAM to do so. They wouldn’t need to use any of their devices or services to plant “evidence”. They could just… do it.

Folks upset about CSAM scanning are trying to convince themselves that’s NOT the case :)

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Didn't realize this was such a big problem that it warranted this kind of response?

As a few others have said, I've never had someone attempt an AirDrop to me randomly, and I was under the impression you can't see someone if the phone is asleep. Must be geared towards densely populated areas...
Okay.

But we MR users don’t represent the average iPhone user.

Whenever I travel, or just sit at a restaurant or cafe, there is always many devices that I can Airdrop to.

I assume that most don’t understand airdrop or think that they need to have it open for everyone for it to work.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
In reality, though, if an authoritarian government wanted to grab someone out of their car today and take them off to an undisclosed location, they wouldn’t need to load their phone with CSAM to do so. They wouldn’t need to use any of their devices or services to plant “evidence”. They could just… do it.

Folks upset about CSAM scanning are trying to convince themselves that’s NOT the case :)

I get that, I’m talking about civilians setting each other up. I don’t remember the details but there is a Chinese streamer who was selling things, a very popular young guy, and his assistant hands him a cake tank man. Guy didn’t even know what it was, he was too young to see it when it happened and of course no one had ever told him about it. Last I checked he disappeared hours later and no one had seen him since. Too lazy to google now, may post links later.

That’s what I mean.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Mmm Mmm, yes. We wouldn’t want people protesting the government now would we?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Playing the China card gets clicks!
You will be amazed by how many people leaving their airdrop wide open to everyone because sometimes ‘contacts only‘ doesn’t work. So having a timer is good. No more random dick pics.

Last edited:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I wish Apple would stop conceding to government censorship. It's not a good look for them.
This form of airdrop protest going on in China puts random recipients at risk of getting disappeared by the Chinese government. It's not cool, it's stupid and reckless. Apple are right to finally concede that leaving an open door on phones is a major security risk for their customers in authoritarian environments. If people want to share seditious images between consenting adults they can still do that with Airdrop. If they want to recruit people they'll have to find ways to display their images that don't involve planting them on non-consenting passers-by.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Odd that this post is yet to be flagged as political when ya’ll can already guess what comments are coming lol.

I guess I'm not surprised that MacRumors has not posted this as a headline story: https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7z5bm/apple-airdrop-china-ios

Come on Timmy, show some support for Chinese Democracy, it is not just a failed Guns N Roses album.

Update: OK, kudos to MacRumors for mentioning it in this post but bad job in writing the headline.

Reactions: kesenwangs

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Wow. China says jump, Tim Cook is already in the air.

Wish anyone else besides China could get this kind of response out of Apple.

And I remember when Timmy Cook defended having Iphone factories in China over America by claiming Americans don't possess the skills to make them, BS, build some factories in a few struggling American inner cities, guarantee the people there will learn really fast how to make Iphones, not one media shill called him out on that duplicitious double talk.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009

Yeah but why give them any advantages, you think it is so easy but remember the historical lessons of Germany, the Nazis had to start slow, passed law after law to whittle away the rights of Jewish Germans, it did not just happen overnight.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I wish Apple would stop conceding to government censorship. It's not a good look for them.

I wish someone in the tech media would actually ask Tim Cook a tough question, amazing how many Apple boot lickers there are in the media, I mean come on, the guy basically gets a free commercial from NBC/CBS/ABC whenever there is a product release, one of their journalists can at the very least ask him if the Chinese kleptocrats requested this feature.

Come on Kara Swisher, this can be your time to actually ask a tough question, we believe in you.

• Love
Reactions: Minxy

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
Who in the world has "everyone" turned on in the first place.

Having never checked this setting before, I just looked now. So at least I in the world had this turned on in the first place — by default apparently. I also never received any unsolicited files. ¯\_( ツ)_/¯

Even with it being first thought up of by the CCP, I think this is actually a good idea. Cannot state how many times I see random people's iPhones with wide open AirDrop. So this is a good thing.

Oddly, Apple didn’t see it as “a good thing” when — according to comments here — it has arguably been a
problem for a while, what with all the inappropriate content, school disruptions, “security concerns,” etc. Well, at least until China said so (due solely to too much freedom of speech going on), and since Xi absolutely has Timmy by the short hairs, the Think Different company snaps into line, tout de suite. Sad!

Reactions: CarAnalogy

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I think the people under Xi Jinping's boot ought to be able to make that decision, not us fat cats enjoying our freedom.

How exactly is having AirDrop no longer remaining open permanently some great outrage? Did you even think before you posted?

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
And I remember when Timmy Cook defended having Iphone factories in China over America by claiming Americans don't possess the skills to make them, BS, build some factories in a few struggling American inner cities, guarantee the people there will learn really fast how to make Iphones, not one media shill called him out on that duplicitious double talk.

About twelve years ago Obama asked Jobs what it would take to get the iPhone made in America. He said it would take ten years of investment. Apparently no one thought we’d still be here in ten years.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
About twelve years ago Obama asked Jobs what it would take to get the iPhone made in America. He said it would take ten years of investment. Apparently no one thought we’d still be here in ten years.

He made a declarative statement, "those jobs are not coming back", and like everything the situation is complex, everyone would be paying more for the Iphones if they were made in America, but Tim Cook should just say that and not that Americans are not skilled enough.

As for your previous post, the information is available on Google.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarAnalogy

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
So how does this 10 minute cap prevent people from sharing or receiving unwanted files? I’m confused because I’m the end they can still share files to strangers, I don’t get it.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.