Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
In fairness, possessing that material could get the user into trouble, so it's a double edged sword.
When you think about it, everything is a double edged sword.

Even a single edged sword is really a doubled edged sword, because on edge is sharp while the other is blunt.

I'll show myself out now...

Reactions: Nabby

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
That China angle to the story left an uncomfortable taste in my mouth for a feature that otherwise seems useful...

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Pretty shocked at this headline and how it completely avoids what has actually happened and Apple has limited a communication feature in China in a way most people would find tantamount to censorship, and you want to frame it as “Apple fighting AirDrop Spam”?

Doesn’t even matter if this Limit (not feature) is being rolled out to the masses next year, the fact that it’s trying to be framed as a feature rather then a form of censorship shows who’s money Macrumors has in their pocket

This is an example of why I always read the source material.

AirDrop now has a time limit in China​

As noted by 9to5Mac readers, today’s update adds a time limit when the user chooses to enable AirDrop for everyone, not just contacts. With this change, people in China can no longer keep AirDrop turned on for everyone, including unknown users, for an unlimited time. …. However, when it comes to AirDrop, it’s unclear why Apple decided to limit the “Everyone” option to 10 minutes. Some people speculate that the Chinese regulator required Apple to update iOS as an attempt to prevent anonymous people from spreading harmful content and anti-government material. https://9to5mac.com/2022/11/09/everyone-option-airdrop-10-minutes-china/

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
He made a declarative statement, "those jobs are not coming back", and like everything the situation is complex, everyone would be paying more for the Iphones if they were made in America, but Tim Cook should just say that and not that Americans are not skilled enough.

As for your previous post, the information is available on Google.

Thank you, letyougooglethatforme.com

I thought he said both, I’ll research this more later today.

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Always everyone makes no sense. Who ever wants a file from a random stranger unless you’re actively expecting it? So this lets you turn on the setting long enough for the exchange without having to add each other as contacts.

Exchange stuff with the same person again and the first thing you should do is exchange contact cards.

b&

This is absolutely correct and despite my snarky post I think this is a great change. Thank you for reminding me I can send a contact card.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
I get that, I’m talking about civilians setting each other up. I don’t remember the details but there is a Chinese streamer who was selling things, a very popular young guy, and his assistant hands him a cake tank man. Guy didn’t even know what it was, he was too young to see it when it happened and of course no one had ever told him about it. Last I checked he disappeared hours later and no one had seen him since. Too lazy to google now, may post links later.

That’s what I mean.
I found the story and reads like a disastrous self-own. He was back roughly 3 months later in time for Singles Day, though, and likely is far more aware of why the cake he was showing off was a problem.

BUT, it does indicate that civilian to civilian delivery of CSAM for this PARTICULAR purpose via Messages is not needed to shut someone down (or have them disappeared). While an enterprising citizen with basic knowledge of internet networking can readily obtain a tank man image to send, as CSAM is an internationally recognized “bad thing”, obtaining it for the purpose of sending via Messages is more difficult (unless maybe they’re creating it, but again, then that person is indeed who they’re looking for) In any case, once the receiver is “caught” it would be quite simple to also catch the “sender”. If “getting someone else in trouble while not exposing myself to trouble” is important to the sender, it’s unlikely that messaging would be the conduit they’d use.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Yeah but why give them any advantages, you think it is so easy but remember the historical lessons of Germany, the Nazis had to start slow, passed law after law to whittle away the rights of Jewish Germans, it did not just happen overnight.
If we’re talking about an authoritarian government, they already have all the advantages. In the physical world, there’s all sorts of trails left by which the government can have a fairly good idea at what someone’s up to (and, if they don’t know, that, too would raise their attention). And, something they didn’t have in Germany, is the very extensive digital trails people leave. With the data at their disposal, CSAM would not add even .00001% to their ability to know all they need to know about a citizen.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
I’m gonna miss this if it becomes the default, I keep it on everyone at all times specifically because I like receiving random stuff on the train. I’ve played tic tac toe with strangers and gotten pictures of people’s dogs.

• Haha
Reactions: bwillwall

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
As someone who works in a school, I can tell you this has become an enormous problem. I am not sure if it's the "right" decision, but it will help the situation we are frequently dealing with inappropriate pictures being airdropped.

I am aware that no matter what, students have to accept it, and they have a degree of responsibility, not just the one sending it.

Actually, it's not. Apple provides a service and the students use it. If they misuse it, thats on them and their parents.

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
Actually, it's not. Apple provides a service and the students use it. If they misuse it, thats on them and their parents.
I don’t disagree and it “should” be that way…I wish it were that simple. Schools don’t get to say that it isn’t their problem according to cultural, political, professional, and legal requirements. Plenty of issues come into schools that are caused largely by external forces that schools are held responsible for.

Last edited:

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Never experienced anything like this, as I have it set to only receive content from contacts.

Reactions: F1 Fan

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
Genuinely confused about why anyone would leave it set to "Everyone".
Kids like doing this on purpose to get sent "interesting" things. It's similar to being in on the latest gossip but many times more potentially dangerous.

If you don't have someone in your contacts, but you need them to send you something easily, it is useful. There are practical reasons for it.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
I'm one who leaves mine set to "Contacts Only". If somebody not in my contacts needs to send me something, turning on "Everyone for 10 minutes" is just as effective as "Everyone" - with the additional bonus that I don't have to go back in and reset it to "Contacts Only" later.

Reactions: bag99001

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Tim Cook and Apple are very selective when they care about rights and the importance of speech. Imagine if Apple did this in the US during the summer of 2020 with BLM.

Reactions: icanhazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.