Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolkowski

macrumors regular
Original poster

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
Catalina will be the bottleneck....64 bit only and the fact that it’s still MacOS. Developers just simply aren’t as invested in MacOS. They aren’t going to deem it worthy to cater to Apple users just because they release a “gaming pc” at the ridiculous price tag of $5000 (rumored in that article). For $5000 someone can build a top of the line Windows gaming PC and have money left over, easily.

I don’t see this happening.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Interesting anyway as the market is huge for both software and hardware
I’m not sure there a market for a high end gaming Mac. Gaming PCs, even high end are not that expensive. Plus the selection and volume of games available on windows puts macos to shame

I just picked up a egpu and a RTX based video card, my point is I gave my laptop a giant boost in gaming for short money. I don't see an expensive gaming machine running an OS that had anemic game selection as being a winner

Reactions: Huntn

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I just came across the article:

It could be interesting to see how they do it. Will it be a clone of Mac Pro or more like gaming laptop?

Interesting anyway as the market is huge for both software and hardware.

What a dismal article...

Since when is a $5,000 gaming computer "reasonably priced"? :eek:

Since when is "Apple serious with the gaming market" with the release of Apple Arcade?

Spend $5,000 to run "Cat Quest II" at 4K/120fps?

LOL...

apolkowski

macrumors regular
Original poster
I was more thinking about Apple entering real VR type of FPP games or simulators. Something that exists, but can be "reinvented" and become "new quality in gaming.
[automerge]1577565560[/automerge]

Prices from my country:
CPU (Ryzen 3950) - 1000$
2 x Nvidia top cards for SLI - 2000$
PCI 4.0 SSD - 600$
RAM - 400$
Quiet PSU - 400$
Case - 200$
Gaming keyboard and mouse - 200$
Windows OEM license - 200$
Total: 5,000$

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
This rumour is stupid. Apple never cared about hardcore games and has nothing to win in this segment. I almost laughed when I read the word "e-sport" in the wwcftech article.
Who in their right mind is going to buy a Mac for hardcore gaming? A PC is always going to be cheaper and better, even if the game runs on macOS (which many esport games don't, including PUBG and overwatch).

The source of the rumour is not quoted either. "some rumour from taiwan" apparently.

What may be possible is the release of a replacement for the iMac Pro, which I believe has been performing very poorly in terms of sales. A "Mac Pro mini" in the $3000-5000 range may incidentally run games fine. But a gaming-oriented Mac? That's not going to happen.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I was more thinking about Apple entering real VR type of FPP games or simulators. Something that exists, but can be "reinvented" and become "new quality in gaming.
[automerge]1577565560[/automerge]

Prices from my country:
CPU (Ryzen 3950) - 1000$
PCI 4.0 SSD - 600$
RAM - 400$
Quiet PSU - 400$
Case - 200$

That sounds high-end.

Your average user will buy this: $1,149:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What a dismal article...

Since when is "Apple serious with the gaming market" with the release of Apple Arcade?

LOL...
Regarding the thread title: Har har. That made me laugh. Maybe in Apple terms, $5k is gee wiz reasonable :rolleyes:, but I think they forget many of us MacOS enthusiasts have been playing games in PC land for 25 years. Yes, I’m still vested in the MacOS for my everyday computing, but I totally broke from Mac gaming (with Bootcamp) on my last 2016 MBP upgrade. Gaming on the Mac as anything other than casual gaming, is an expensive lost cause.

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
That made me laugh. Maybe in Apple terms, $5k is gee wiz reasonable :rolleyes:, but I think they forget many of us MacOS enthusiasts have been playing games in PC land for 25 years. Yes, I’m still vested in the MacOS for my everyday computing, but I totally broke from Mac gaming (with Bootcamp) on my last 2016 MBP upgrade. Gaming on the Mac as anything other than casual gaming, is an expensive lost cause.

I can't find the youtube video anymore, but the reviewer did a piece for the College-bound. He proved it is much cheaper to buy a basic MacBook and then buy a gaming compatible PC setup (you can use the monitor back at dorm/apartment with your MacBook as well) than buying a "gaming capable MacBook and fooling around with dual-boot".

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I can't find the youtube video anymore, but the reviewer did a piece for the College-bound. He proved it is much cheaper to buy a basic MacBook and then buy a gaming compatible PC setup (you can use the monitor back at dorm/apartment with your MacBook as well) than buying a "gaming capable MacBook and fooling around with dual-boot".
When I traveled constantly for work, my MBP ($2500) with dedicated graphics and running Bootcamp was my answer, an all in one Mac/PC package with decent gaming capability. On the verge of retiring, I considered the same MBP, but in their wisdom, when Apple raised the price to $3000 for dedicated graphics on a MBP, I bailed on Mac gaming. Of course I still paid $2000 for an integrated graphics MBP that still cost 50% more than my gaming PC. :)

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Here's an opinion piece on the topic from Cult of Mac

Personally, I don't see it happening. If it does, Apple will just be another niche/boutique player. They have to bring something new/compelling to the space and/or make a play based on value, neither of which I see them doing.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
So it appears that the rumoured gaming Mac would be a laptop or iMac. This makes the rumour even more laughable.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
You will probably see more and more iOS based games ported over to Catalina, which might seem that gaming is "flourishing" on the Mac as so many titles are suddenly available... but that's about it.

Still need Feral and Aspyr to do the really hard work.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
The made a big deal about some Asphalt game being ported to the Mac thanks to "catalyst", but from everything I hear, the result is pretty bad. You can't adjust the screen resolution (meaning it's unplayable on a 5K iMac fullscreen) and it doesn't manage gamepads... for a racing game! Good luck playing with the keyboard.
The game selection of Apple Arcade is pretty laughable IMO. It may looks decent for iOS, but there are not many compelling games for a non-casual gamer. And since it's in the MAS, the discovery is quite poor. For instance, Rayman Mini is nowhere to be found unless you specifically search for it.

• Sad

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
I don't understand why they had to use Catalyst when their usage of UIKit or other iOS only frameworks is close to 0. No game on Apple Arcade uses Catalyst. I guess they wanted to make their job harder…

The MAS has got a page with a list of all the games, or individual pages for each genre. Actually it's organised better than other App Store sections.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Prices from my country:
CPU (Ryzen 3950) - 1000$
PCI 4.0 SSD - 600$
RAM - 400$
Quiet PSU - 400$
Case - 200$
Now triple that for Apple tax, and you are at 15.000$. Do you still think that is sane?

Lowest prices on the market are not sold with Apples 40-50% margins.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You will probably see more and more iOS based games ported over to Catalina, which might seem that gaming is "flourishing" on the Mac as so many titles are suddenly available... but that's about it.

Still need Feral and Aspyr to do the really hard work.
I have not found an iOS game that can sustain me for long periods. At most it’s casual gaming when traveling and I have no other options.

Varking

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
I have not found an iOS game that can sustain me for long periods. At most it’s casual gaming when traveling and I have no other options.
The MOBAs tend to hold me over. Arena of Valor/Vainglory/MLBB but really excited to play Wild Rift. Call of Duty and PUBG on Mobile have done really well with being quality games without the need to spending.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The MOBAs tend to hold me over. Arena of Valor/Vainglory/MLBB but really excited to play Wild Rift. Call of Duty and PUBG on Mobile have done really well with being quality games without the need to spending.
Please give me your favorite list of titles and I’ll check them out. :)

Varking

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Please give me your favorite list of titles and I’ll check them out. :)
For iOS?
  • Call of Duty Mobile is good FPS that doesn't require hours of play.
  • Arena of Valor is probably the best MOBA out there until League of Legends: Wild Rift comes out.
  • Oceanhorn 2 is a terrific Zelda-like title but the game is only available on Apple Arcade at the moment.
Here is a list of NO BS GAMES on Android but the list converts over to iOS well. These are supposed to be a curated list of games that are quality, with no ads or in app purchases.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
What a dismal article...

LOL...
Yes they keep using that word. I don't think it means what they think it means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.