Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
But it's NOT a case of "Apple is expensive". It's a case of "Apple decided to build an expensive machine". Go configure a Dell with the same specs as the base Mac Pro. I did it on their website - it came to more than $6,000. Why? Because a processor that supports more than a TB of RAM is a Platinum Xeon, and those are fricken expensive. To make matters worse, the machine is expensive because of design choices that don't matter in the slightest to the haters, but matter a LOT to the target audience.

the “haters” were the target audience once.... You could get a G5 for €1800 brand new from Apple.

Reactions: greenl1ght

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
But it's NOT a case of "Apple is expensive". It's a case of "Apple decided to build an expensive machine". Go configure a Dell with the same specs as the base Mac Pro. I did it on their website - it came to more than $6,000.

Yes, well, Dell's workstation stuff isn't exactly known for being cheap either.

I didn't say Apple is too expensive.

Why? Because a processor that supports more than a TB of RAM is a Platinum Xeon, and those are fricken expensive. To make matters worse, the machine is expensive because of design choices that don't matter in the slightest to the haters, but matter a LOT to the target audience.

Take a mansion with one furnished room. To say "I could get a one room apartment for one tenth the price!" misses the point entirely.

The question is whether anyone making the argument that the Mac Pro is too expensive would be in the market for a Mac Pro in the first place. Would they buy one at $4999? $3999? $2999? Or would they still come up with excuses on why they'd rather have something else? And in that case, why not just shut up and get that something else?
[automerge]1575884611[/automerge]
the “haters” were the target audience once.... You could get a G5 for €1800 brand new from Apple.

Yes, and when you could do that, they complained that you can't get a €1,000 "xMac". And if Apple had offered one for €1,000, they would have complained Apple doesn't offer one for €700.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand

At the time the G5 powermac was around, consumer lines didn't have anywhere near the hardware resources current models do, but even then, the G5 was still only going to be a "significant" jump in performance from e.g a consumer iMac, whereas the 2019 Mac Pro will be a massive jump in performance compared to a "consumer" Mac.

What these people want is the power of an iMac but without a screen and with PCI slots.

Buy a Mac mini and a TB3 PCI expansion case. Problem solved.

The Mac Pro has moved up a level to compete with actual workstation class machines. Build a bridge and get the hell over it.

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
Yes, well, Dell's workstation stuff isn't exactly known for being cheap either.

I didn't say Apple is too expensive.

The question is whether anyone making the argument that the Mac Pro is too expensive would be in the market for a Mac Pro in the first place. Would they buy one at $4999? $3999? $2999? Or would they still come up with excuses on why they'd rather have something else? And in that case, why not just shut up and get that something else?
[automerge]1575884611[/automerge]

Yes, and when you could do that, they complained that you can't get a €1,000 "xMac". And if Apple had offered one for €1,000, they would have complained Apple doesn't offer one for €700.

Maybe, but that doesn’t change the fact that MacPro started and 1800€ with reasonable config and easily upgradable... and now it starts at 6000€ with ****** config, unnecessary expensive features for 99.9999% (and no I did not exaggerate here) of macPro-market and soldered SSD behind T2 chip (good luck with longevity)

MGrayson3

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013

The modern workstation didn't exist then. With the 6,1, Apple already left me behind. I do no video. Until recently, none of the software I used knew what a GPU was. Sadly, nothing I do for work or hobby needs more than my 2015 iMac. Topaz filters are heavy GPU users, Lightroom is getting better at high core count. But these are trivial computations compared to the very specialized needs of video production.

What also gets forgotten is that many of the really heavy lifters go to cloud services. ML people complain, with justification, that they need CUDA, and the new MP doesn't have it. The ML people I know work on laptops and send their problems to the cloud, where the answers return in minutes, rather than days.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
I’d be surprised if any technology isn’t outdated very quickly.
lol true but a lot like me here have Mac Pro’s that are 9 years old and Mac books that are several years old, I’d want a machine I’m paying £6k for to last more than a year! This could potentially turn into the biggest lemon of all time..especially if Apple take on AMD chips (then again pigs might fly) ..it’s just fraught with disaster possibilities..I’ll look next June when by that time AMD will have chips twice as fast and half the price and or Intel hasn’t slashed their Xeon prices like they are doing already to their main stream CPU’s.
Even if I got this Mac Pro I doubt half my plugins would work, I’ve so many developer emails wanting me not to upgrade to Catalina..

Reactions: Marekul

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
At the time the G5 powermac was around, consumer lines didn't have anywhere near the hardware resources current models do, but even then, the G5 was still only going to be a "significant" jump in performance from e.g a consumer iMac, whereas the 2019 Mac Pro will be a massive jump in performance compared to a "consumer" Mac.

What these people want is the power of an iMac but without a screen and with PCI slots.

Buy a Mac mini and a TB3 PCI expansion case. Problem solved.

The Mac Pro has moved up a level to compete with actual workstation class machines. Build a bridge and get the hell over it.
No I won’t buy a Mac mini it is just ridiculous to say that’s an alternative to a Tower PC where you can easily put in multiple HD’s, gpus, upgrade ram, have a few pci slots and so on...
Anyone recommending a Mac mini as alternative to a G5/MacPro tower is clueless imo.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Still holding onto my prediction that this will have non-upgradeable storage (either soldered or proprietary connector).
We already know it won‘t be soldered.
It is literally in their website.

I don’t know about proprietary connector.

08A47950-84D6-41EC-8DA7-A26EF2C0767F.jpeg

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I'd say the iMacPro was a pre MacPro and might be removed by Apple soon.

Hard to say.

On the one hand, if they were gonna do it, they could have done so with the release of the Mac Pro, and didn't. (In fact, they explicitly announced that both will exist side by side.)

On the other hand, they could have upgraded the iMac Pro to the W-2200 CPUs, and haven't. So maybe another shoe has yet to drop.

I think we'll see how the iMac further evolves. The iMac Pro is clearly a partial redesign (internals only for now), whereas the non-Pro still has the old cooling system. They'll want to modernize all iMacs eventually, and perhaps when they do, we'll know what the future of the Pro is.
[automerge]1575885856[/automerge]
Maybe, but that doesn’t change the fact that MacPro started and 1800€ with reasonable config and easily upgradable... and now it starts at 6000€ with ****** config, unnecessary expensive features for 99.9999% (and no I did not exaggerate here) of macPro-market and soldered SSD behind T2 chip (good luck with longevity)

The SSD doesn't appear to be soldered, but rather two socketed chips.

MGrayson3

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
No I won’t buy a Mac mini it is just ridiculous to say that’s an alternative to a Tower PC where you can easily put in multiple HD’s, gpus, upgrade ram, have a few pci slots and so on...
Anyone recommending a Mac mini as alternative to a G5/MacPro tower is clueless imo.

Do you know what a TB3 PCI expansion case is? Never mind. Go get your Alienware Tower and sneer happily at us from over there.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
All those people who say "who's going to buy this - it's so expensive for email ad web-browsing" would probably say "Who's going to buy this? It's $25 million dollars, has only one seat, does 4mpg and has no luggage capacity" at the launch of a new F1 car. It's not aimed at you!

mauriziodececco

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
Yes, you can. And I did over the summer. Switching to windows for this lifelong Mac guy has been a little easier than I had thought. It’s like learning a new language, but it’s not as bad as I thought.

Total cost for my build was $28k:
W3275 CPU
2 NV Links
Total cost including shipping and case and fans and radiators, and everything else: $28k.

No doubt your quoting is correct, but you do not include the time and the competences needed to choose the components, to build it, to test it, to maintain and support the resulting machine in a way your are shure it works every day, 365 day a year.
I am sure you can do it for you, but in any professional activity, this is a cost (including yours).

In any professional setup, building in house this kind of competences may be extremely expensive if they are not part of the core competences of the house; i am not talking Mac vs Windows, i am talking self integrated machine vs externally supported and guaranteed machine.

Acquisition cost is just a part of the Total Cost of Ownership, so this kind of approach is not always applicable or economically convenient; for sure, it has his merits when applicable.

Maurizio

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
Tools are tools. You figure them into your cost or you are not pro. That’s basically it. A lawyer charges 300 an hour cos the offices are 200k a year.
I love the justification but I bet the tools you bought then lasted a while , the premise behind this from Apple was it’s scalable and easy to update like the original, the Xeon could be replaced by middle of next year with something a lot faster & cheaper. For sure Intel are in a lot of trouble with more pain to come next year. It would be crazy to buy this early ”Alpha” machine for any professional business.

Reactions: Marekul

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
Do you know what a TB3 PCI expansion case is? Never mind. Go get your Alienware Tower and sneer happily at us from over there.
Yeah I know what that is, I get to pay extra 300€ for worse setup with compatibility issues and less performance than direct PCI slots. No thanks.
And my case is a Nanoxia deep silence 5 ... new MacPro looks a lot more Alienware than that xD

Reactions: greenl1ght

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
Glad to hear that for you :)
It’s really not rocket science... AOI have shorter lifespan than modular desktops.
and things will get much worse when all the macs with soldered ssd/ram reach their EOL much sooner than Apple customers are used to....

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
All those people who say "who's going to buy this - it's so expensive for email ad web-browsing" would probably say "Who's going to buy this? It's $25 million dollars, has only one seat, does 4mpg and has no luggage capacity" at the launch of a new F1 car. It's not aimed at you!
It's a nice machine, I like it, but I think any business has to make its own calculations on price point. The price is what it is and I agree those who need it will buy it, and a few show-off private individuals with a lot of cash will also buy it, and so they should, I don't care. I think people however need to accept (Apple fans included) that high end enterprise hardware is about making money. In most cases I wager other kit will win due to price vs performance but nonetheless this is a big achievement for Apple and means high performance software for MacOS has room to develop.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
It’s really not rocket science... AOI have shorter lifespan than modular desktops.
and things will get much worse when all the macs with soldered ssd/ram reach their EOL much sooner than Apple customers are used to....

But the Mac Pro isn't an AIO, so not sure why you would bring that up?

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
Hard to say.

On the one hand, if they were gonna do it, they could have done so with the release of the Mac Pro, and didn't. (In fact, they explicitly announced that both will exist side by side.)

On the other hand, they could have upgraded the iMac Pro to the W-2200 CPUs, and haven't. So maybe another shoe has yet to drop.

I think we'll see how the iMac further evolves. The iMac Pro is clearly a partial redesign (internals only for now), whereas the non-Pro still has the old cooling system. They'll want to modernize all iMacs eventually, and perhaps when they do, we'll know what the future of the Pro is.

Ah, didn't read that they will keep the iMacPro. Well I guess they have to in order to keep the price of the MacPro in that range. Apple is very clever by setting their prices. Whenever you build a system, the next higher one is getting interesting to be bought, so customers might often change to a higer priced model even if they don't need it.

The main downside of the Apple product range is the lack of a "Mac" and a cool 5K Apple monitor that looks/feels like an iMac. But Apple just earns too much per iMac so they won't change that.

I'd love to replace my good old 5,1 with a new tower also to put all my drives inside and don't have to buy an external case(s). But that costs me somehow way too much (6000 + 600 (higher local price) + 400 for 1TB + 300 (internal HDD fix) = about 7000. And I still don't have a retina display I'd need for my old eyes :)

Dunno ... I'll wait for the first reviews ...

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
But the Mac Pro isn't an AIO, so not sure why you would bring that up?
because the claim was made you can 3x the price of a PC because macs last 3x longer than a regular PC.
that was true in the past especially with notebooks ( still running a 2011 15” mbp almost every day) but with soldered ssd, ram, battery, butterfly keyboards.... times have changed. My 2016mbp is falling apart already.

Reactions: dantroline

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
But the Mac Pro has always been for "them". Since its introduction in 2006 the Mac Pro lineup starts at $2499. Even with inflation back a decade ago thats a sub $3500 starting point....the price basically doubled.

Late 2006Early 2008Early 2009Mid 2010Mid 2012Late 2013Late 2019
Prices$2,499$2,799$2,499$2,499$2,499$2,999$5,999

This table makes no sense at all.
Did you calculate the components costs of those models ? If this uses much expensive components, the price is explained.
[automerge]1575889501[/automerge]
The concern here is if you don't want an integrated display, your only other option is a Mac mini, which is a sealed box (apart from the ram). It feels like there should be something between the $800 mini and the $6000 Pro.
It ALWAYS have been like this, in Apple world, so what is the reason of the complaints ?
In Apple’s vision the computer between the Mini and the Pro is called iMac. Period.
And TBH they even added another layer, with the iMac Pro.

Reactions: Reed Black12

basehead617

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
The concern here is if you don't want an integrated display, your only other option is a Mac mini, which is a sealed box (apart from the ram). It feels like there should be something between the $800 mini and the $6000 Pro.

Maybe this is a stretch but can’t you use an external display with an iMac and turn off the integrated one?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Maybe this is a stretch but can’t you use an external display with an iMac and turn off the integrated one?
Kinda defeats the whole point. You end up with a much bulkier and more awkward setup. I am also not sure if you are able to turn off the main display for the iMac. I think in this case, it's easier to just learn to accept the iMac display for what it is. Else, use a laptop if you want to pair your own external monitor to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.