Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
And the people claiming they can build a better computer for under $1200 put an absolute garbage CPU in it that would take 5x longer to render video or compile code.

There is not a chance a $6000 8-core Mac Pro is faster than a 32-core AMD PC build (can also run Linux for extra performance).

I like Apple products myself but the Mac Pro has a bad performance / $ ratio.

MarciaFunebre

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018
Finally. This machine will keep me away from the Windows world for a few more years.

But honestly, for that money I would have expected a tower without those idiotic fans. It has long been proven that it is possible to build workstations without moving parts, noise and dust.
Somehow there is that unsettling feeling that Apple actually does not have much a of a vision left anymore and doesn't really prioritize innovation for creatives.

I think a lot of people would like to have a mid-priced tower like this - something between this and the Mac Mini. Then these awkward iMac Pros could be retired and people would again be able to choose between some decent machines.

The display? So tiny... Useless without a microscope. Make that a 55" 6k screen and we'd be in business.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Well.... inflation has crippled your purchasing power... blame crappy politicians. It's the same for a gallon of gas, the cost of vegetables, cost of a home...

The main reason the Mac Pro starts much higher is that its market segment has shrunk considerably.

In 2006, you may have conceivably bought a Mac Pro as a high-end desktop. Today, people don’t really do that. They get a laptop.

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
There is not a chance a $6000 8-core Mac Pro is faster than a 32-core AMD PC build (can also run Linux for extra performance).

I like Apple products myself but the Mac Pro has a bad performance / $ ratio.
Actually at this performance level one has to seriously consider which OS is the best fit. It would make sense to release MacOS (server?) with new features to make best use of the hardware and use cases. I wonder if this is planned?

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
$6K for a lame Xeon and a Radeon 580 + 256GB Ram? You can build a PC for half the price, emulate macOS in a virtual machine and you‘ll still get a faster Mac with more storage.

Reactions: Marekul

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
$6K for a lame Xeon and a Radeon 580 + 256GB Ram? You can build a PC for half the price, emulate macOS in a virtual machine and you‘ll still get a faster Mac with more storage.

As the saying goes - penny wise, pound foolish.

Try suggesting to any business out there to build a hackintosh as opposed to buying their own Mac and see how far that will get you. Any monetary savings to be had is simply not worth the extra time and hassle caused.

There’s a simple reason why the Mac continues to be in use. Yes, they may cost more upfront, but they quickly pay for themselves in the form of greater productivity and fewer problems overall.

MGrayson3

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
There are two possibilities, and they're both awful. Either the "I can build something better for less money slash $6,000 is ridiculous for 256GB" crowd is serious, or they're trolls (or both). Stupid or Evil. Intelligent answers abound, and yet it's 700 posts in, and we're still seeing them. SMH

Last edited:

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Actually at this performance level one has to seriously consider which OS is the best fit. It would make sense to release MacOS (server?) with new features to make best use of the hardware and use cases. I wonder if this is planned?

Nah.

We know that there's a revised UI to configure PCIe cards. Beyond that, it'll just run the regular macOS.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Between mainboard, PSU, GPU, SSD and all, I don't think a single dollar is gonna suffice.

For approximately $5000 you already have a complete PC build consisting of
- 32-core AMD CPU
- 2x RTX 2080 GPU’s (way more powerful than the 580’s in the $6000 Mac Pro)
- 2TB Samsung SSD’s
- 128gb DDR4 RAM
- 1200W Corsair power supply
- Motherboard
- Case

For $6000, you can even make it more nice.

Now compare that against the horsepower of the $6000 8-core Mac Pro with a single 580 GPU.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
And the people claiming they can build a better computer for under $1200 put an absolute garbage CPU in it that would take 5x longer to render video or compile code.

Nobody is claiming that.

What we ARE claiming is that you can buy a 32 and soon 64 core AMD Threadripper based box that will destroy this machine for far less than Apple will charge you for it.

And even if it was the same price (which it isn't)..... you get higher performance, cheaper upgrades, commodity hardware, larger capacity PSU for add-on cards, choice of GPUs (wanna run CUDA? fit a few titans in there, go nuts!), faster IO (PCIe 4.0 baby) etc.

As to the AMD CPU costing $2000 goes - go price up a Xeon W3275X.

Oh yeah, to be properly secure you also need to turn off hyperthreading :D Because intel's implementation of SMT is so hilariously broken and they can't fix it without major architectural changes.

Last edited:

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
There are two possibilities, and they're both awful. Either the "I can build something better for less money slash $6,000 is ridiculous for 256GB" crowd is serious, or they're trolls (or both). Stupid or Evil. Intelligent answers abound, and yet it's 800 posts in, and we're still seeing them. SMH

I think some people are still bitter that Apple isn't offering a modular computer below $6k. That's reasonable from a 1990s' perspective when those were very commonplace, but these days, it's just an ever-shrinking niche.

Beyond that, it's just not very interesting. Apple is expensive? Yeah, we know. Everyone knows. Water is wet, too. Apple doesn't cater to everyone? No, they don't; not since Steve came back and radically simplified the product line-up for the better. They no longer produce scanners and printers either. Apple doesn't use AMD? Nope. And maybe you can make a case that, with the Mac Pro, they really should have gone with the Threadripper or EPYC. But they didn't.

basehead617

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Nobody is claiming that.

What we ARE claiming is that you can buy a 32 and soon 64 core AMD Threadripper based box that will destroy this machine for far less than Apple will charge you for it.

With cheaper upgrades, commodity hardware, larger capacity PSU for add-on cards, choice of GPUs (wanna run CUDA? fit a few titans in there, go nuts!), faster IO (PCIe 4.0 baby) etc.

What is the purpose of posting something like this? You can also build something yourself for way cheaper than a Dell, HP, or Digital Storm workstation product.

Is this supposed to be news?

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
Win-users should multiply their MacPro replacement prices at least with factor 3, as theses PCs never last as long as a Mac.

Nevertheless the basic MacPro is too expensive. It should be at around $4500 as it's more or less an iMacPro without a monitor.

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
For approximately $5000 you already have a complete PC build consisting of
- 32-core AMD CPU
- 2x RTX 2080 GPU’s (way more powerful than the 580’s in the $6000 Mac Pro)
- 2TB Samsung SSD’s
- 128gb DDR4 RAM
- 1200W Corsair power supply
- Motherboard
- Case

For $6000, you can even make it more nice.

Now compare that against the horsepower of the $6000 8-core Mac Pro with a single 580 GPU.

and all parts easily replaceable und upgradeable, unlike apples “modular” pc with soldered 256gb :p SSD... this thing is a joke

Reactions: zzzachi

MGrayson3

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
I think some people are still bitter that Apple isn't offering a modular computer below $6k. That's reasonable from a 1990s' perspective when those were very commonplace, but these days, it's just an ever-shrinking niche.

Beyond that, it's just not very interesting. Apple is expensive? Yeah, we know. Everyone knows. Water is wet, too. Apple doesn't cater to everyone? No, they don't; not since Steve came back and radically simplified the product line-up for the better. They no longer produce scanners and printers either. Apple doesn't use AMD? Nope. And maybe you can make a case that, with the Mac Pro, they really should have gone with the Threadripper or EPYC. But they didn't.

But it's NOT a case of "Apple is expensive". It's a case of "Apple decided to build an expensive machine". Go configure a Dell with the same specs as the base Mac Pro. I did it on their website - it came to more than $6,000. Why? Because a processor that supports more than a TB of RAM is a Platinum Xeon, and those are fricken expensive. To make matters worse, the machine is expensive because of design choices that don't matter in the slightest to the haters, but matter a LOT to the target audience.

Take a mansion with one furnished room. To say "I could get a one room apartment for one tenth the price!" misses the point entirely.

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
Win-users should multiply their MacPro replacement prices at least with factor 3, as theses PCs never last as long as a Mac.

Nevertheless the basic MacPro is too expensive. It should be at around $4500 as it's more or less an iMacPro without a monitor.

this is just wrong, times have changed. My PCs sure latest longer then the all the AIO iMacs that start to fail and would need cpu/gpu upgrades.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Now compare that against the horsepower of the $6000 the 8-core Mac Pro with a single 580 GPU.

You might as well compare it to the fat content of the Mac Pro, or the political position of a slice of bread.

Please for the love of biscuits can you people stop using that term?

Do you realise how ridiculous it sounds?

Let's lay this out. Horse power was devised to allow comparison of the power output of a steam engine, compared to a literal horse.

So, an engine or motor (regardless of whether it's steam of internal combustion or electric) that is rated at 1 hp, has the same "power" output as one single horse (it's based on a kw rating now but it was originally calculated from the speed at which a horse could turn a wheel in a mill).

So, exactly how many Newtons does a Mac Pro produce? How many would it produce if it had a thread ripper in it? What if they went to Arm? Is that more newtons or less?

For the love of ****ing anything, argue about the merits of cores vs memory speed vs burstable clocks vs dependability of the vendor all you ****ing want. But will you please stop pretending *any* computer has *any* ****ing horse power.

You all keep claiming a TR system would "destroy" a Mac Pro. A horse (with just one god damn horse power) would literally ****ing destroy it, as it drags it down the god damn road and through a field with zero effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.