Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
Great question for Apple. When they announced it, they specifically said you can buy it in rack mount configuration.
Rack mounting for server use and no redundancy, but proprietary single power? Well. Hobbyist setup maybe. MP is cost prohibitive to use as rack mounted rendering machine. I'd rather use linux cost effective machines for that kind of setup. So I don't know. But then, some people can spend whatever money they want.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Rack mounting for server use and no redundancy, but proprietary single power? Well. Hobbyist setup maybe. MP is cost prohibitive to use as rack mounted rendering machine. I'd rather use linux cost effective machines for that kind of setup. So I don't know. But then, some people can spend whatever money they want.

Yeah, rack mounting a Mac Pro now they killed macOS server is a dumb idea. Left hand of Apple not talking to right hand.

You're not going to build a render farm of these, because that's what you'd use a Linux cluster for. At FAR LESS COST.

Reactions: dantroline

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Organizations like this will certainly buy these for server environments

https://www.macstadium.com/

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
They have no understanding of Rendering if they believe 8 cores/16 threads will match 32/64 cores. It will demolish an 8 core system.
Literally nobody argued that.

The point was how linearly performance improves with core count.

For the vast majority of computing tasks it isn’t linear performance increase. That doesn’t mean no increase, but most tasks aren’t just magically 4x faster because you have 4x the cores available.
[automerge]1575869632[/automerge]
larger memory support
They support the same memory as the lower tier, non-M Xeon 3200 series.

They support less memory than the higher end -M series Xeons.

Bernardl

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
Great it’s finally here. Too bad I had to send my 2013 pro for repair on Friday due to dying GPUs...

i have no issue with what I anticipate the pricing will be. It’s probably not more expensive that workstations from Dell or HP, themselves a lot pricier than self assembled machines for thinkerers.

The disappointment is more that Apple selected Intel CP instead of AMD and slowish SSD.

cheers,
Bernard

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Ah well, in that case Apple could opt for EPYC which has 2TB support across 8 channels with 128 PCIe lanes.
Right, that is an option, but you also lose some burstability (ie top end boost frequency) in the epyc (about a ghz drop compared to TR/Xeon W) so for any “single core” performance sensitive tasks (that would normally utilise frequency boosting to speed up) you’re going to be a bit more constrained.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Right, that is an option, but you also lose some burstability (ie top end boost frequency) in the epyc (about a ghz drop compared to TR/Xeon W) so for any “single core” performance sensitive tasks (that would normally utilise frequency boosting to speed up) you’re going to be a bit more constrained.

True, but the Xeon W-3275 loses a lot of burst (vs. threadripper) too. Also can't run as many cores as fast when fully loaded. And it has less than half the core count.... (vs. 3990X).

Reactions: Marekul

Reed Black12

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
Which is less than 10% on this whole board and also in the world..
So. What do you care that it's less than 10% in the world. So are Teslas, Bently's, Range Rovers, and whole other host of cars that cost more than YOU CAN or WANT to afford. Build a super powered dream machine PC. Your choice.

Reactions: jlocker

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
So. What do you care that it's less than 10% and also in the world. So are Teslas, Bently's, Range Rovers, and whole other host of cars that cost more than YOU CAN or WANT to afford. Build a super powered dream machine PC. Your choice.

First off, I am not from America.. but I can say that most Americans could not afford the ridiculous high priced Mac Pro along with the monitor.. I got my Mac Pro 5,1 with a nice 27 inch LED for under 1000.00.. The only reason why I can buy apple is because I work for the Ukrainian government as a security guard. But, again I assume most Americans can't afford this.. also, given Apple makes most of its money selling the notebooks and iPhones, watches, etc.. the Mac Pro won't even be more than 2 percent of their margin.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
News flash: more than just “renderers” use rack mounted computing resources.
Another News Flash: Unless you intend to use cluster based computing for the purpose such as rendering, rack mounting creates more hassles.

Why rack mount a personal computer?, and if you'd run heavy work in cluster, why use Mac for cluster? You know, both don't go together very well.

Of course, there's benefit of putting all together in one place for easier maintenance and sound isolation, but here we are discussing about server and rendering setup.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You know, as for XDR, nothing like is on the market, but then, without whatever like XDR, everyone is creating professional content just fine even now. Of course, better is better, but then, why go too much if Eizo or professional ultra fine by Dell is enough to create contents already? it's more than half cost (and of course, with stand).

Same with Mac Pro. If your business was able to handle business with old MP by now, you really don't need raw performance provided by 7,1 so it comes down to the firm's marketing. Showing off the shiny instrument to customers are also important. I give that. But all the horse power work is usually outsourced anyway, and trust me, many Mac only business will not just simply swap all their gear with MP 7,1. Most will keep using iMac Pro. If your business really depends on raw power, friend, you already moved to other platform.

So my conclusion is this : Apple is not really caring for those who need, but rather those with money who want the most trendy apple device.
There are people who do need such hardware. The kicker is that they do not frequent Macrumours, nor were they amongst the audience at this year's June keynote, which is why there seems to be a disconnect between the target audience for the Mac Pro, and the feedback we seem to be getting online.

The uncomfortable truth is that anyone here who didn't buy an iMac Pro on day one out of sheer need doesn't need the new Mac Pro either. Many video editors are just as well served with 1-2 5k LG displays. For mid-level creatives, the iMac Pro already exists, as does the recently-released 16" MBP. It's really more of an irrational want at this point.

Likewise, the XDR display is meant to replace existing reference monitors that cost 20k to 30k. Here's one that costs $45000. And guess what? It doesn't come with a stand either. Only pedestal feet. VESA mount sold separately as well.

https://www.abelcine.com/buy/monito...-hdr-lcd-monitor-with-12g-6g-3g-hd-sdi-inputs

At this price point, 6k is a steal for something that is better in every aspect, but yeah, let's focus on the $1k stand instead.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
True, but the Xeon W-3275 loses a lot of burst (vs. threadripper) too. Also can't run as many cores as fast when fully loaded. And it has less than half the core count.... (vs. 3990X).
The Xeon Ws at the top end boost by almost 2Ghz, the TRS that are actually available boost by about 1Ghz. I couldn’t find specs on the unreleased model you’re comparing to.

The TRs also have a TDP almost 50% higher, so as is usually the case everything is a trade off, and you need to pick your priorities.

Reactions: OkiRun

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
At this price point, 6k is a steal for something that is better in every aspect, but yeah, let's focus on the $1k stand instead.

I don't think we're just focused on the stand.

The monitor itself? Sure, it's great and cost effective.

But the STAND is just the epitome of Apple's product upgrade pricing in general at the moment. Massively over-priced, for no good reason. Like RAM and SSD storage upgrades on their machines, like GPU upgrades, etc.
[automerge]1575870850[/automerge]
The TRs also have a TDP almost 50% higher, so as is usually the case everything is a trade off, and you need to pick your priorities.

Intel and AMD TDP numbers are not comparable. AMD's TDP numbers are somewhat close to reality, but both do not represent actual draw, and both are playing games with the metric in different ways.

In the real world, Threadripper is 2x performance per watt vs. intel's best at the moment, as is the 3950X and other Ryzen processors. This is what the 7nm process is getting them, vs. intel who are stuck on 14nm+++

Intel's TDP metric is so far away from reality now as to be useless (for comparison purposes). You're talking around 2x the quoted TDP number for the real power consumption on any intel CPU from the past couple of years when boost is active.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marekul

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Another News Flash: Unless you intend to use cluster based computing for the purpose such as rendering, rack mounting creates more hassles.

Why rack mount a personal computer?, and if you'd run heavy work in cluster, why use Mac for cluster? You know, both don't go together very well.
Where do you think the CI build servers for all those iOS and macOS apps are?

I suggest you go look at what MacStadium do, your assumption that anything not in a “render farm” is a “personal computer” is quite telling.
[automerge]1575870924[/automerge]
Intel and AMD TDP numbers are not comparable. AMD's TDP numbers are somewhat close.
That’s good to know, thanks.

Reactions: seek3r

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Finally some news.
Not like I’ll be able to afford it anyways. A base workstation with display will be around $14k. Ouch.
i hope I can qualify for a 24m 0% interest. That way, maybe.
You, just like me, are not in the target for such a workstation, I presume.
It’s not just a matter of what you can afford and what we cannot...

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don't think we're just focused on the stand.

The monitor itself? Sure, it's great and cost effective.

But the STAND is just the epitome of Apple's product upgrade pricing in general at the moment. Massively over-priced, for no good reason. Like RAM and SSD storage upgrades on their machines, like GPU upgrades, etc.
Here's the thing.

We can all agree that the monitor and stand combined represents an excellent bargain at $6k.

Why then are people so hung up over the price of the individual stand? Is there anyone here who actually plans on purchasing just the stand by itself for whatever reason?

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
There are people who do need such hardware. The kicker is that they do not frequent Macrumours, nor were they amongst the audience at this year's June keynote, which is why there seems to be a disconnect between the target audience for the Mac Pro, and the feedback we seem to be getting online.

The uncomfortable truth is that anyone here who didn't buy an iMac Pro on day one out of sheer need doesn't need the new Mac Pro either. Many video editors are just as well served with 1-2 5k LG displays. For mid-level creatives, the iMac Pro already exists, as does the recently-released 16" MBP. It's really more of an irrational want at this point.

Likewise, the XDR display is meant to replace existing reference monitors that cost 20k to 30k. Here's one that costs $45000. And guess what? It doesn't come with a stand either. Only pedestal feet. VESA mount sold separately as well.

https://www.abelcine.com/buy/monito...-hdr-lcd-monitor-with-12g-6g-3g-hd-sdi-inputs

A better venue to debut the Mac Pro would have at the FCPX Creative Summit last month or at NAB 2020

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Here's the thing.

We can all agree that the monitor and stand combined represents an excellent bargain at $6k.

Why then are people so hung up over the price of the individual stand? Is there anyone here who actually plans on purchasing just the stand by itself for whatever reason?

OK...

Lets say that you were to buy a McLaren F1 for $X.

Would you consider the $12,000 USD wiper blade to be fairly priced? Or would you agree that for a sliver of rubber (essentially just a longer version of what is on your own car), it is a rip off?

That 10-20x reasonable price monitor stand is a symbol of everything wrong with Apple at the moment.

Reactions: PC_tech and Marekul

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Any prosumers crying about the costs

<------------------ mac mini forum that way
imac forum that way ----------------------------------------------->

Deal with it , Tim Crook knows what's best for you
Until Apples Steve Balmer quits or gets the sack Apples just pricing it's customers out.
How dare I want a tower mac with propper cooling.
I hate Tim Cook but your analogy is ridiculous.
under Balmer Microsoft sank. Under Tim Cook Apple is flying.
big difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.