Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Meh.

I can build my own using parts from Newegg for half the price and it’ll be twice as fast. /s

It may be half the price and it may be twice as fast, but it won't be awesome and practically magic. Besides, don't you have the "courage" to buy a $1000 monitor stand? /s

• Haha
Reactions: dantroline

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I am not a video editor and I am getting it day one! iOS App Developers are going to snap up this machine. It will be great for AR/VR and GameDev also! I can't wait to see how it runs Houdini 18 with Solaris for Pixar's Universal Scene Description (USD) the new Houdini 18 Karma renderer which is currently CPU only.

Is anyone going to put this purchase on their Apple Card so they can get 3% Cash Back? ?

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
No...a maxed out 28c/1.5TB DRAM/8TB SSD/2xVEGA DUO/Afterburner is probably going to be around $48,000.00 with another $12K for two of the displays...so closer to $60,000.00...only 3 more days and we’ll see if I’m right.
Does that cost include the stands?

Reactions: OkiRun

henrikhelmers

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2017
The storage is proprietary. I’m planning to select more than 256 GB from Apple and also to use a PCIe NVME drive.
Thanks. I suppose I'm mostly concerned about wearing it out as the first component of the machine. If a drive in a PCIe slot works well then I suppose most data could live there. Buying an extra large internal SSD to have more blocks to wear is probably a good idea too...

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks. I suppose I'm mostly concerned about wearing it out as the first component of the machine. If a drive in a PCIe slot works well then I suppose most data could live there. Buying an extra large internal SSD to have more blocks to wear is probably a good idea too...
That’s exactly what I was thinking. It may be possible to boot from another drive too, not sure. On Apple’s page they list ala carte parts for the Mac pro but m.2 storage isn’t listed. I found some other Apple SSD options online from third parties that seemed more expensive than just buying more in the first place.

Last edited:

henrikhelmers

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2017
By storage do you mean the SSD Drive or the RAM? Please be more specific! I think both are upgradable!
I'm sorry—I meant the SSD. The RAM looks very upgradable, but there was text saying that the data on the SSD would be encrypted by a T2 chip, which makes me think it might not be replaceable.

basehead617

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Heh, Since 2013 those film makers have been using PC's, since the trashcan Mac Pro was so... Trash.

This is a patently absurd comment - i assume you have ignored the incredible number of films that are edited with Final Cut Pro.
[automerge]1575781402[/automerge]
I wonder how many problems this rev A machine going to have.

That's actually my biggest fear. I need something REALLY soon but I don't want to be part of the 'early adopter' crowd that deals with all the growing pains.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Its not going to happen, but I hope the Mac Pro sales sky rocket
You’re right, it’s not going to happen. The Mac Pro is not and will never be one of the sales leaders for the Mac, those are currently and will always be held by mobile devices. I doubt it ever rises into the double digits percentages of Mac sales for a year(of course we won’t know because they don’t break out by model).

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I'm sorry—I meant the SSD. The RAM looks very upgradable, but there was text saying that the data on the SSD would be encrypted by a T2 chip, which makes me think it might not be replaceable.

There are 2 slots for T2 chip SSD modules that support configurations of 256MB, ITB, 2TB, and 4TB so I hope that those are upgradable and interchangeable SSD slots!

Reactions: henrikhelmers

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I want to make sure I future proof mine. Will the base 32GB of RAM last me or should I opt for the 1.5TB of RAM. I'm torn...
You could start with 32GB, then add another terabyte, 128GB at a time. Not an ideal config if you’re workload is constrained by memory bandwidth, but I can’t imagine it is since you’re considering a 4x8GB config.

So start with the 32GB, then as you add 128GB sticks, you’ll have 160GB, 288, 416, 544, 672, 800, 928 and finally 1,056. At that point, you can also start replacing the 8GB sticks with 128s as well, giving you 1,176, then 1,296, then 1,416 until you finally max out at 1,536.

Keep in mind you’ll need either the 24- or 28-core CPU to be able to support 1.5TB. Since it can’t be upgraded later, consider the 8TB SSD.

mrNiftYpAnts

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
The machine for you is clearly the Mac Pro, since 8 cores aren’t enough, you could likely benefit from more than 32GB of RAM and you don’t want iMac Pro.

Even if there were a cut-down version for say $3k, would it even make sense to buy it? Compromising current capacities and capabilities—as well as future expandability—and for what? To save all of $50/month? (Closer to $35 after tax savings are considered.)

That makes little sense from a business perspective. Get the Mac Pro and you’re set. If you’re a working pro who needs/wants to run MacOS, it’s a no-brainer imo.

I do think a 3k-5k version, not a MBP and non-display having Mac would be spot on.. for MANY people but instead its 2-3k for Mac mini or 6k for Mac Pro. Just my thoughts..

basehead617

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Totally agree. As a developer I am not at all a fan of AMD GPUs. I do not have the budget or time to develop specialized code for a GPU that has maybe 20% market share. So until Apple eventually incorporates an NVIDIA GPU, there is no business case for me to purchase one of their high end machines. I don't care how fast the Radeon might be or what the specs claim because at the end of the day the AMD device is incompatible with the vast majority of GPU code being written. Frankly, any old $250 NVIDIA card from 3 years ago is better because at least my software can compile and run on it.

You're talking about people that write nvidia compute shader code, specifically? That's the smallest niche market there is.

AMD GPUs work fine for 99% of developers making GPU-using apps (games, 3d, etc.).

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
The concern here is if you don't want an integrated display, your only other option is a Mac mini, which is a sealed box (apart from the ram). It feels like there should be something between the $800 mini and the $6000 Pro.
Completely agree. Simply saying the Mac Pro “isn’t for you” doesn’t address this point. I am switching from a loaded mini to a Mac pro. I’m not a film maker or anything I just like the ecosystem, GUI, and the kernel.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I do think a 3k-5k version, not a MBP and non-display having Mac would be spot on.. for MANY people but instead its 2-3k for Mac mini or 6k for Mac Pro. Just my thoughts..
So you end up with maybe a $14k system instead of $16k, but you’ve got only 6 DIMM slot instead of 12, a single GPU slot instead of two, more noise and worse thermals? For business use? Not worth it in my opinion. And realistically, Apple saves maybe $500 in cost at the most, so a $4k entry level selling price is a real stretch.

For a hobbyist/enthusiast sure. But that’s a small market, and if you’re really that into it, what’s another $3k lol? Most of those folks would rather have the full blown model than the cut down version I would think. Well, at least I would.

I just don’t see a big market for a $3k Mac Pro Mini. Same with a Mac Mini Pro, i.e. a mini that could take a 200W internal video card and maybe a couple NVMe drives. A tiny niche product for an already niche market.

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
and i hope that their sales are absolute crap and they realize that they've lost touch with reality when it comes to their recent mac/display pro pricing.

Why would you hope for such a thing?

A BMW 7 Series automobile is beyond my means, and I'd still not purchase one if I could afford it. But why in the world would I hope 7-Series sales are absolute crap?

That said, the new Mac Pro and XDR display are well-priced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.