Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul Turpin

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Another pro audio user here. I am planning on buying a new Mac Pro. I have two studios, each using Avid PCI-e HDx cards and running various flavors of Pro Tools “Ultimate” and HD. One studio has a Sonnet PCI-e box connected to a 2013 iMac and the other is still running a 2009 Mac Pro. The hope is that this new, upgradable Mac Pro could last 8-10 years - like the 2009 I’m still using has. I’d rather buy one machine for 10k and upgrade it when needed rather than buy 4 $3000 non-upgradable iMacs in the same amount of time. It’s also more environmental to buy one long term machine instead of 3 or 4.

As it is the 2013 iMac and Sonnet will be moved to the “B room” and the MAC Pro will go in the prime “A” room. So even if I do replace the new Mac Pro I “only” four years - it will just move down the chain and I’ll expect several more years of service after that. The 2009 Mac Pro will stick around in the closet for unarchiving outdated ProTools sessions that require booting into antiquated OS systems.

I won’t be buying the new monitor (or the stand!). But I may buy 2 of those LG ultrafine 4K thunderbolt3 monitors Apple is selling for around $700 ea. Unless anyone wants to recommend a similar quality thunderbolt 3 monitor that is not too large (I want to run two displays - not one huge one).

Ideally - I’ll order a 16-core machine with 2x2tb internal drives and 128gb ram. But we’ll see. I’d also like to keep it under 10k.

It would also be nice if ANY of my main software was compatible with Catalina by the time I get the machine! I’m not hopeful on that factor.

Last edited:

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I'm planning on getting the Pro Display but I hope that my new 16" is able to handle it without requiring the BlackMagic eGPU.

Apple says that the MacBook Pro can handle 2 Pro Displays XDR, I believe.
[automerge]1575777528[/automerge]
Oh - and I want the rack mount option! (And I am curious how much the rack mount option is).

Yeah! It looked pretty snazzy in the one slide they showed.

Reactions: a_politis

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
i doubt it. There's been no mention at all. I wish they would. The chips they need are now available. I don't need the power of a Mac Pro, so a revised iMac Pro would be nice.
iMac Pro will definitely be updated imo. Intel has announced the chips, but I’m not sure of their availability in any quantity. Typically it takes a few months. I’d be looking at March, maybe with the new lower cost iPhone and AirTags. If not spring, then WWDC.
[automerge]1575777796[/automerge]
An iMac Pro price drop would be nice.
imo we’ll see a spec bump or a price cut. Apple’s gotten relief on flash, RAM and the CPU as well. No reason to think they won’t pass it on to customers.

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
Who cares when there is no Cuda support?

Totally agree. As a developer I am not at all a fan of AMD GPUs. I do not have the budget or time to develop specialized code for a GPU that has maybe 20% market share. So until Apple eventually incorporates an NVIDIA GPU, there is no business case for me to purchase one of their high end machines. I don't care how fast the Radeon might be or what the specs claim because at the end of the day the AMD device is incompatible with the vast majority of GPU code being written. Frankly, any old $250 NVIDIA card from 3 years ago is better because at least my software can compile and run on it.

mrNiftYpAnts

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
people are complaining about people complaining.. but I get it. I love the Mac Pro idea, but unless you want a display attached to your computer you really are lacking options.. you have the Mac mini and the Mac Pro. The MBPs are nice, but never handle hard proccessing well. I have a top of the line 2019 15" and running VMs with Xcode while running multi-simulators and a few other apps is SLOW.. Mac mini would be no better... but I do NOT want iMac or iMac Pro because I have my own very nice monitors. So my option is Mac mini.. or Mac Pro. Where is the middle ground without attached display? An iMac Pro without display.. Mac mini Pro? hate the name, makes the most sense.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Yes, you can. And I did over the summer. Switching to windows for this lifelong Mac guy has been a little easier than I had thought. It’s like learning a new language, but it’s not as bad as I thought.

Xeon W3275 and for me 1TB of ram is all I needed so wasn’t necessary for me to shell out an additional $3k for the M variant that Apple is forcing folks to do. The only diff between the W-3275 and the W3275M is the former maxes out at 1TB ram, and the latter at 1.5TB ram.

my specs are same as the top end MP, but I opted for 4 RTX 2080 Ti’s since they are vastly more powerful than the AMD GPU’s Apple is offering. Well, that and the fact that nothing runs without CUDA cores and having 20,000 CUDA cores in my machine has really sped up my workflow.

Total cost for my build was $28k:
W3275 CPU
ROG dominus extreme MB
1TB DDR4-2933 ECC RAM (16 X 64GB)
2TB NVME SSD (3500/MBs) for system
12TB NVME SSD (3000/MBs) for working files.
4 RTX 2080 Ti’s, each with 11GB ram
2 NV Links
Total cost including shipping and case and fans and radiators, and everything else: $28k.

I can tell you right now that the W3275 gets HOT FAST. There’s no way Apples passive air cooling will ever allow GHz boosting. My machine is obviously liquid cooled and so are the four GPU’s so it’s running in high boost even under high workload.

Apples MP is ONLY going to be useful to video editors who use Mac software. No working professional in any other industry will make the mistake of buying this machine for a production environment.
If you don’t want or need MacOS, you can definitely save some money buying or building a PC. That’s been true for decades.

The 2019 Mac Pro isn’t passively cooled btw. And those outside the video industry will certainly by this new Mac Pro. But it’s not for you, and that’s fine :)

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Its not going to happen, but I hope the Mac Pro sales sky rocket making Apple turn around and see that MacOS is a serious business. iOS is nice but its not a replacement for MacOS(or Windows... or Linux)

The concern here is if you don't want an integrated display, your only other option is a Mac mini, which is a sealed box (apart from the ram). It feels like there should be something between the $800 mini and the $6000 Pro.

I don't see a reason why Apple can't sell a $1000 Mac Pro which is basically the case and minimum SSD with MacOS and macbook CPU to get by. Then you are on your own, configure and evolve as you wish.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
Its not going to happen, but I hope the Mac Pro sales sky rocket making Apple turn around and see that MacOS is a serious business. iOS is nice but its not a replacement for MacOS(or Windows... or Linux)

I don't see a reason why Apple can't sell a $1000 Mac Pro which is basically the case and minimum SSD with MacOS and macbook CPU to get by. Then you are on your own, configure and evolve as you wish.
Well. I'm pretty sure MP 7,1 sales will be lackluster. Real serious players already long gone to PC or Linux. And this MP is pretty much slap in the face for audio pros.
Rendering farms no longer use a standalone PC. This is also slap in face for prosumers and freelancers requiring one PC.

But then, unless Apple want to portray their Mac OS and computer as for ios users only, I believe they will keep trying, albeit with crazy amount of delay, making professional desktops.

Reactions: greenmeanie

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Now I feel like an idiot... I forgot about audio folks.... it’s a hefty premium to pay to keep the Mac UI. If I had a choice, I’d choose Mac UI, but the 3D ecosystem just doesn’t support non-Nvidia. It’s sad to see Apple walk away. Steve Jobs wouldn’t have.

But does the OS UI even matter when the applications are the same on both platforms? I've worked on cross platform audio apps that were platform indistinguishable when running full screen.

I'm guessing the Ex-Mac audio folks that built windows machines left this forum a long time ago (and haven't looked back).

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Well. I'm pretty sure MP 7,1 sales will be lackluster. Real serious players already long gone to PC or Linux. And this MP is pretty much slap in the face for audio pros.
Rendering farms no longer use a standalone PC. This is also slap in face for prosumers and freelancers requiring one PC.

But then, unless Apple want to portray their Mac OS and computer as for ios users only, I believe they will keep trying, albeit with crazy amount of delay, making professional desktops.

I don’t think a “slap in the face” is what you think it is.
[automerge]1575779691[/automerge]
The display already comes with a stand - no extra cost.

No it doesn’t. You can supply your own stand using a vesa mount, but it does not come with a stand unless you buy One.

Reactions: NetMage

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
No it doesn’t. You can supply your own stand using a vesa mount, but it does not come with a stand unless you buy One.

Actually, you can't use a vesa mount unless you buy the adapter, either.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
people are complaining about people complaining.. but I get it. I love the Mac Pro idea, but unless you want a display attached to your computer you really are lacking options.. you have the Mac mini and the Mac Pro. The MBPs are nice, but never handle hard proccessing well. I have a top of the line 2019 15" and running VMs with Xcode while running multi-simulators and a few other apps is SLOW.. Mac mini would be no better... but I do NOT want iMac or iMac Pro because I have my own very nice monitors. So my option is Mac mini.. or Mac Pro. Where is the middle ground without attached display? An iMac Pro without display.. Mac mini Pro? hate the name, makes the most sense.
The machine for you is clearly the Mac Pro, since 8 cores aren’t enough, you could likely benefit from more than 32GB of RAM and you don’t want iMac Pro.

Even if there were a cut-down version for say $3k, would it even make sense to buy it? Compromising current capacities and capabilities—as well as future expandability—and for what? To save all of $50/month? (Closer to $35 after tax savings are considered.)

That makes little sense from a business perspective. Get the Mac Pro and you’re set. If you’re a working pro who needs/wants to run MacOS, it’s a no-brainer imo.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
i honestly hope that at some point they will release an "amateur" display for those of us who can't justify spending 5-6k on a display. i mean the "pro" add-on is a freakin' joke this year anyway - there is absolutely nothing pro about the new iphones nor the airpods.

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
I'm ready for this machine. I have a feature film to cut next year and am ready to put this through that. My 5,1 cMP has been great, but I need to move on to better hardware for these intensive video edits.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be pricey but it will pay itself many times over in its lifespan, just like my cMP has over the years. Plus I could definitely use the tax deduction this year too!

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099

and i hope that their sales are absolute crap and they realize that they've lost touch with reality when it comes to their recent mac/display pro pricing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.