Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
The biggest cost is the LR-DIMMs at 128GB a DIMM that are even on Newegg around $1700 a DIMM. You want 1.5TB it'll cost around $22k-$22.5 after tax USD for just the RAM.

RAM collusion is real. Micron made the standard and they are going to milk it until they can't.

Under a grand on Amazon. That’s from a third party, so I assume it’s got some markup. I’m not saying your wrong, but if you shop around you can cut that quote in half.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
I wonder how much a fully maxed out workstation with dual XDR displays will cost. $100k?

No...a maxed out 28c/1.5TB DRAM/8TB SSD/2xVEGA DUO/Afterburner is probably going to be around $48,000.00 with another $12K for two of the displays...so closer to $60,000.00...only 3 more days and we’ll see if I’m right.

ahall52

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
I'm sure it's going to be amazing, but it is so unbelievably damned ugly that I can't believe this is the design that made it to the shelf. To each, their own. This is just my very humble opinion.

Reactions: Spectrum

Promostyle

Contributor
Jul 1, 2002
Portland, OR
Prove it

No you can’t.
Yes, you can. And I did over the summer. Switching to windows for this lifelong Mac guy has been a little easier than I had thought. It’s like learning a new language, but it’s not as bad as I thought.

Xeon W3275 and for me 1TB of ram is all I needed so wasn’t necessary for me to shell out an additional $3k for the M variant that Apple is forcing folks to do. The only diff between the W-3275 and the W3275M is the former maxes out at 1TB ram, and the latter at 1.5TB ram.

my specs are same as the top end MP, but I opted for 4 RTX 2080 Ti’s since they are vastly more powerful than the AMD GPU’s Apple is offering. Well, that and the fact that nothing runs without CUDA cores and having 20,000 CUDA cores in my machine has really sped up my workflow.

Total cost for my build was $28k:
W3275 CPU
ROG dominus extreme MB
1TB DDR4-2933 ECC RAM (16 X 64GB)
2TB NVME SSD (3500/MBs) for system
12TB NVME SSD (3000/MBs) for working files.
4 RTX 2080 Ti’s, each with 11GB ram
2 NV Links
Total cost including shipping and case and fans and radiators, and everything else: $28k.

I can tell you right now that the W3275 gets HOT FAST. There’s no way Apples passive air cooling will ever allow GHz boosting. My machine is obviously liquid cooled and so are the four GPU’s so it’s running in high boost even under high workload.

Apples MP is ONLY going to be useful to video editors who use Mac software. No working professional in any other industry will make the mistake of buying this machine for a production environment.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I mean define cheaper. I'm mostly a PC guy myself. Cheaper for me if I were a target customer would be investing in a future 64C HEDT processor come January or going full server gear. I might save a grand or two, but I'd be spending anywhere from $10,000-15,000 in total.

The best thing about the Mac Pro is the FPGA card for their video editing software. It's already very optimizing for macOS, but the FPGA just sweetens the deal. FPGAs for other softwares exist, but I think it being in line with Apple's gear is better.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
W3275 CPU
Tray chip. No warranty. At about $4,500 it makes sense to go with Intel's current competitor that made mince meat of the Platinum Xeons. Unless you wanted the extra PCIe lanes for the video cards? But even then, I can't imagine relying on them would be great since they have so little use nowadays, but using Resolve will result in that rig screaming from start to end.

If you need the PCIe lanes, Intel makes sense. For everything else, the Epycs run over Xeons. Intel's in a weird limbo right now and the foreseeable future.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Apple either needs an iMac Pro spec bump or a price drop as they did with the trash can. Refurbed base iMac Pro is $3500 with 1 year Apple warranty now.
And you can get a extended warranty now, too.

I don't know what the price of a certain 64C HEDT processor would be come this January, but I can't imagine it being cheaper than $4,000. Granted, when you're twice as fast as your competition on a much, much lower core count processor you've just released last month, it speaks volumes for the speed and efficiency of that monster 64C processor coming out in the new year.
My first Mac was a 1991 IISI. Inflation adjusted, it actually cost about the same as the new Mac Pro today.
I paid a pretty penny for my first Apple back in the early 90s. Though I think anyone who bought any computer in those days paid a pretty penny!

Promostyle

Contributor
Jul 1, 2002
Portland, OR
Tray chip. No warranty. At about $4,500 it makes sense to go with Intel's current competitor that made mince meat of the Platinum Xeons. Unless you wanted the extra PCIe lanes for the video cards? But even then, I can't imagine relying on them would be great since they have so little use nowadays, but using Resolve will result in that rig screaming from start to end.

If you need the PCIe lanes, Intel makes sense. For everything else, the Epycs run over Xeons. Intel's in a weird limbo right now and the foreseeable future.
Mostly agree honestly. I apex’s this machine in late June and yes needed 64 pcie lanes for the GPU throughput. Kicking myself now for not waiting 3 months and going dual EPYC Rome so I could have 128 cores... prolly sell this build and go that route when the RTX 3080 Ti’s come out.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
I get a chuckle from the fact that the $6k base model has only a 256GB SSD (as reported).

Yes, storage can be expanded, and the target market will no doubt use networked storage for work, but even the base iMac Pro gets a 1TB SSD standard.

Even the 16" MBP comes with 512GB standard.

I am not sure about other people, but I am totally sick of two things: people complaining about the price of this Mac and people stating they can build cheaper PCs than this Mac. Get over it already!
There was a /s on his comment.

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC
Wonder if they’ll walk back the whole $999 stand thing
The display already comes with a stand - no extra cost. If you want the fancy stand and have the money, then you can pay 1000 bucks. So no, I doubt they'll walk back what's essentially a luxury item. Look at the pricing history of Apple's high end machines, back to the 80s. You'll find some close to six grand in 1980s dollars, so enough complaining from people.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Mostly agree honestly. I apex’s this machine in late June and yes needed 64 pcie lanes for the GPU throughput. Kicking myself now for not waiting 3 months and going dual EPYC Rome so I could have 128 cores... prolly sell this build and go that route when the RTX 3080 Ti’s come out.
I'd hold off on the Rome purchase. Q320 is the next Epyc release and you'll probably be kicking yourself then, too. I'd hold off, too.

I'm on the fence of getting a TR or waiting what mainstream brings us this upcoming summer season. Definitely won't be perusing Intel's offerings for the next 3-4 years.

It's really nice to see the tables turned again. Black Magic's work has also caused Adobe to improve Premier. Read something a while back of the latest Premier releases being more snappy with render times down on the same gear. Go figure.

Reactions: dantroline
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.