Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
There was a /s on his comment.

On @realtuner 's comment sure (which my response was not directed at at all), but if you have frequented any of the Mac Pro 7,1 threads there are multiple people that bring up this argument to no end. I am also not weighing the validity of those statements, the argument is just getting old. To quote many other people, if that is what you desire (to build a cheaper PC alternative to the Mac Pro), then go do it and stop posting in threads regarding the Mac Pro.

Last edited:

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I’m making my final decision after finding out the BTO.
I’m highly considering the MBP 16 And one XDR with nano tech.
I would love to get the MP but I think the workstation for my needs will be around $11k without the display. We’ll see.

tubomac

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2013
Japan
"Save the Date"... "your credit card is about to take a massive pounding."
I always joke to one of my friends who has a big family, one salary only and a lot of rubbish hardware devices. I use to say him: What are you waiting for? they made a wonderful website for you, easy to use, with a super-convenient button that let you pay in a blink of eye....but you always find some excuses to not upgrade your rubbish desktop!

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
I think this is strictly for Hollywood & very-likely primarily for Apple's partners.

If I had to guess, it was developed for them, will be subsidized by Apple to them, & it's ONLY being offered to the general public because "we'll, why not ?" ... it generates additional PR for the company.

It does make a good walk-up station.

High-End Applications off the radar of most, if NOT all.

Brian Ralston

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2009
What industry other than video are you thinking? 3D? No. ML/AI? No. Cad/cam? No. All for the same reason: no Nvidia CUDA cores. Other than that, no graphic designers or illustrators are going to blow $30-45k When they’ll be fine on a MBP. This is a video only machine for actual pro use.

Well...I score film and TV and have been looking for a machine like this to produce my orchestral scores in for years to replace my 2012 MacPro Tower.

Hundreds and hundreds of orchestral tracks streaming off solid state drives in Digital Performer and also ProTools, locked to video while driving three 4k monitors. Currently using multiple MacMini slaves to help house all the orchestra. Looking forward to likely getting it all into one machine.
So there. Not a video editor. But this is the “upgradable” OSX machine we have been hounding them for a long while as well.

Reed Black12

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
Wow! There's some jealousy and envy in this thread! Haha!
I've been waiting for this machine for nearly 10 years! Already set aside the money for it. Very excited!

For those complaining about the cost, sorry, it's not for you. It's not. This machine was specifically catered to a specific segment of the entertainment industry: Editors, mixers and yes graphic designers. Sure you can use a Macbook Pro, but when deadlines are tight, you need something faster.

I've been editing professionally for 20 years now and I've worked at facilities with literally over 100 Mac Pro editing stations. For us editors it's MacPro's 2013 and or MacPro 5,1. For assistant editors its all iMacs. Hollywood will pay for something they know will scale and last for years without issue. That being said...

Consider this. The OLD MacPro's are STILL in use at almost every major production company here in LA. We're talking machines from 2009! And the 2013 Mac Pro is also STILL widely used. That being said $6000 grand for a machine that will more than likely last you over a decade, I'd say is a pretty good deal. That breaks down to....
about $50 bucks a month for 10 years! So, I'm all in. I'll upgrade the guts as my needs change.

krizalidzero

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2015
I'll be honest, had I the money I'd buy the display.
The Mac Pro... it might be too much for what I need, really. An iMac would do just fine.

Reactions: loby

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I for one can’t wait to see how well it grates cheese!!

It’s actually a spaetzle-maker, not a cheese grater.
[automerge]1575774824[/automerge]
$999 for a stand. Wew... aside from being a stand what does it do?
answer: it reduces the cost of buying the monitor for anyone who prefers to just use a VESA mount.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
What industry other than video are you thinking? 3D? No. ML/AI? No. Cad/cam? No. All for the same reason: no Nvidia CUDA cores. Other than that, no graphic designers or illustrators are going to blow $30-45k When they’ll be fine on a MBP. This is a video only machine for actual pro use.

And that’s why Apple makes other computers like the iMac.

Reactions: wilhoitm and slu

Promostyle

Contributor
Jul 1, 2002
Portland, OR
Well...I score film and TV and have been looking for a machine like this to produce my orchestral scores in for years to replace my 2012 MacPro Tower.

Hundreds and hundreds of orchestral tracks streaming off solid state drives in Digital Performer and also ProTools, locked to video while driving three 4k monitors. Currently using multiple MacMini slaves to help house all the orchestra. Looking forward to likely getting it all into one machine.
So there. Not a video editor. But this is the “upgradable” OSX machine we have been hounding them for a long while as well.
Now I feel like an idiot... I forgot about audio folks.... it’s a hefty premium to pay to keep the Mac UI. If I had a choice, I’d choose Mac UI, but the 3D ecosystem just doesn’t support non-Nvidia. It’s sad to see Apple walk away. Steve Jobs wouldn’t have.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Wow! There's some jealousy and envy in this thread! Haha!
I've been waiting for this machine for nearly 10 years! Already set aside the money for it. Very excited!

For those complaining about the cost, sorry, it's not for you. It's not. This machine was specifically catered to a specific segment of the entertainment industry: Editors, mixers and yes graphic designers. Sure you can use a Macbook Pro, but when deadlines are tight, you need something faster.

I've been editing professionally for 20 years now and I've worked at facilities with literally over 100 Mac Pro editing stations. For us editors it's MacPro's 2013 and or MacPro 5,1. For assistant editors its all iMacs. Hollywood will pay for something they know will scale and last for years without issue. That being said...

Consider this. The OLD MacPro's are STILL in use at almost every major production company here in LA. We're talking machines from 2009! And the 2013 Mac Pro is also STILL widely used. That being said $6000 grand for a machine that will more than likely last you over a decade, I'd say is a pretty good deal. That breaks down to....
about $50 bucks a month for 10 years! So, I'm all in. I'll upgrade the guts as my needs change.
True, in the long run the MP costs are not so outrageous.
IMO the sticker shock comes from the old MP 5,1 had a much lower base price. I think adjusted for inflation it would be something like $3,5k now.
I do agree that if you do high end work, the price is not an issue. I just wish Apple had a lower entry price for an expandable tower and lower specs displays like a 5k version at $1.7k. it is what it is.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014

But the Mac Pro has always been for "them". Since its introduction in 2006 the Mac Pro lineup starts at $2499. Even with inflation back a decade ago thats a sub $3500 starting point....the price basically doubled.

Late 2006Early 2008Early 2009Mid 2010Mid 2012Late 2013Late 2019
Prices$2,499$2,799$2,499$2,499$2,499$2,999$5,999

macfan90

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2014
too expensive and you better get the best one because you'll be waiting 5-8 years till the next one
[automerge]1575775748[/automerge]
so true, I remember the days of yearly updates, now it's anyones guess.

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
The Cybertruck appearance factor.

Cybertruck Pro.JPG

Last edited:

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
The concern here is if you don't want an integrated display, your only other option is a Mac mini, which is a sealed box (apart from the ram). It feels like there should be something between the $800 mini and the $6000 Pro.

It's like saying you want to buy a F-150 for $35k but Ford says they only sell F-450 for $60k. "Sorry bro this Truck wasn't meant for YOU" and tell you to use a giant SUV instead.

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
The rumor says iPad pro 2020 and mbp 2020 will feature mini led. Previous rumor indicates there will be 10,000+ LEDs in those displays, so technically pro display XDR will be out featured within a year?
Also, Asus has a 32'' with 1000+ LEDs, the light leak still exist at areas with a black background and bright icons/ taskbars. Don't think PDX can solve this problem.
Th Pro Display XDR uses what's called Dual-Layer LCD to eliminate haloing around bright patches of pixels. This is something that you can't do with miniLED until you have a LOT of lighting zones (like the 10,000 you sited). The only issue is, I highly doubt that the iPad and MacBook Pro are going to be having miniLED displays with 10,000 lighting zones. That's unheard of by today's standards, and I don't think Apple's going to be able to develop that kind of technology in just a year when no one else has been able to do it effectively yet. Heck, miniLED of ANY kind (including the upcoming Asus) has only a tiny number of lighting zones compared to 10,000. I just don't see it happening.
I'm planning on getting the Pro Display but I hope that my new 16" is able to handle it without requiring the BlackMagic eGPU.
Seeing the performance lost though Thunderbolt's limited bandwidth, I'm not convinced that the Vega 56 BlackMagic eGPU will actually be much more powerful than the Navi 5500M in the 16" MacBook Pro. You're better off just powering it with your laptop.

Reactions: Lone Deranger

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I was excited to see an update but at 5k starting price point, which more than average Joe, can afford this except for the very wealthy and professionals who would buy this equipment though their businesses. It is sad but never the less a great product they can be proud of at Apple.

mite almost like it’s been designed for professionals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.