Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidG328

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Funny how we can get a rumor as specific as this about the non-retina macbook pro but we can't get one for the mac mini?

The Mini is the "red-headed stepchild" of Macs. On a serious note, I love those little things. Depending on the next model (if they don't kill it), I'll be looking at a server model.

I give you one.

There will be an all-new Mac mini in Mid-Late 2014 (probably not before July). It will be a complete redesign around the use of PCIe SSD only, without any 2.5" drive bays in it. So it will shrink some 20% in width and depth, not only in height. It will lose Firewire and Infrared, but gain a second Thunderbolt port and the ability to run up to one 4K display, when from Apple branded as the funny-superlative 30" Apple Retina Display.

None of it's parts will be user-replaceable or user-upgradable and the base price for the Mac mini will rise by $100, but it will be the best consumer desktop money can buy for years to come. Consumer satisfaction will explode, but sales numbers won't grow much and profits will remain stagnant, so the stock market will worry. Yet the Mac market share will rise, with self-build PCs taking a big setback in developed countries.

How do you like your personal rumor?

I lol'd.

While the benefit of retina is often over-exaggerated, it absolutely does make a difference, and if you cannot see that, you probably do need to get your eyes checked (I mean that rather literally, but I'm (honestly) not trying to be rude).
--

That being said, I still think the non-retina screens are fine for day to day use. And I will miss the disappearing upgradeability and flexibility of the classic macbook pros...

I agree with everything you said. The resolution makes a HUGE difference. I'm glad I have a 13" cMBP. Since I can upgrade it, I'm hoping that will allow it some extra years of life.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Can't wait until the only Macbook I can buy is non-upgradable.

I can't express how much I hate that this soldered stuff has happened. I'll take a little thicker body and non soldered RAM instead of this soldering because it's so thin stuff.
Dude, you're getting a Dell.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
To each their own.

Personally I've been able to maintain the need for speed and retina and the occasional need for legacy tech by resurrecting my 2009 13" MBP when it seemed to be at the end of its life.

Basically I bought my 09 MBP in June before starting my freshman year of college. Base model with 2gb of ram and the 160gb HDD (I didn't know much at almost-18, and my parents didn't want to shell out a ton of money). It worked very well until it developed a sleep/wake issue and kept burning through SATA cables toward the end of AppleCare. I was able to continue getting free repairs even after AC ran out, but it got to the point where it would fail to boot nearly every time. The battery was also starting to go. I had upgraded the ram to 8gb but still had a replacement 500gb HDD.

So October came along, and I received the 13" mid-spec rMBP. It definitely makes daily computing much less frustrating, and I don't have to worry about moving parts failing because of the weight of books in my backpack :rolleyes: (That was quite literally the explanation I got from a Genius for why the 09 MBP SATA cable fails).

But that wasn't the end of my 09 MBP! I didn't have any luck selling it for parts, so I went back one last time to the Genius Bar to get it looked at. They replaced the SATA cable for the umpteenth time, and I paid for a new battery. My friend who was computer science major needed a Mac to learn how to use Xcode for a potential job, so I got it fixed up and upgraded to Mavericks. Voila, it works just fine! Apparently it's just not up for leaving the house anymore. My friend ended up not getting the job and isn't a Mac fan, so now it's an extra laptop at home that I use to web surf and download digital copies of movies that require a disc to do so. The 500gb drive is also handy, provided it doesn't decide to fail from the previous abuse... I may replace it with another HDD if prices are favorable. I don't really need or want an SSD in that machine. Hybrid might be an option.

So despite the fact that I have two Mac laptops with the same amount of ram and running the same OS, they currently fit into different niches in my life.

I will say that the retina models with fewer moving parts will be hugely beneficial for students and commuters. If your MBP sits on a desk hooked up to a monitor and other peripherals, then you may have a different opinion. Personally I haven't used ethernet regularly since 2010 when my dorm didn't have wifi. I've never used FireWire, and HDMI is much more useful than mini DisplayPort. I already had a few external drives from when I was stretching the 160gb drive in my 09, so the 256gb SSD in my new retina is even better.

I will agree that the base 13" model with 4gb of ram and a 128gb SSD is not really useful for most people who need more than what a good tablet can do. Those kinds of specs should be for the MacBook Air line or no Macs at all.

-------------------

I will add that they can pry my 80gb iPod classic from 2007 out of my cold, dead hands! It still works and has good battery life and makes a lot of sense to hold my 30+gb music collection which is growing. If it does die, I really hope I'll still be able to get the 160gb version! I just don't need the extra features of the iPod Touch when I have an iPhone for that.

----------

Dude, you're getting a Dell.

Sounds like my boyfriend who found a new-in-box Lenovo ThinkPad from 2011 this past summer on Woot. He bought it and upgraded the ram to 8gb and installed a hybrid drive only to buy a used iPad mini and use that instead. He got grumpy at me for dumping on that laptop when I borrowed it when I was in between MacBook Pros. That thing is heavy and clunky as heck.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I have a diploma in computer science.

Oh my.
FYI your degree doesn't allow you to tell other people what they need, especially without knowing their lifestyle.
Your degree allows you to give an informed (hopefully) technical opinion on specific subjects, when requested and only after all the necessary information has been gathered.

Last edited:

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Recycling then making a new computer would use a lot of energy, as opposed to getting a longer lifetime out of a computer. I expect to get 6 years at least out my my Macbook Pro, and I am a power user. Thanks to upgrades this is somewhat doable. Most people don't have the money to buy a new computer every 2 years, when they could pay $50-100 to get their ram doubled and performance increased.

It boggles my mind how many people can figure out how to waste $5 a day on fast food, smoking, or other similar stuff, yet if computers were important to them, that would give them a yearly budget of $1825, or $11 grand over 6 years. While I do have a 6 year old iMac, all i do is random web browsing and playing videos. I can't imagine being a power user 6 years into a machine, that's just wasting seconds of my life with everything I do. Time is priceless, at least for me, so it's an easy choice.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I regret getting a non-retina MBP so bad. :mad:

The retina was still 1699 so that was out of reach, but I really wish I got a MBA. At the time I valued upgradability but now I value form factor way more. The old MBP form factor is just too damn thick and heavy these days, especially having a disk drive inside. I've used it like once.

----------

With only 128GB storage...

I'd take 128 GBs of PCI SSD over a infuriatingly slow HDD any day. Selling computers that boot on HDDs in 2014 should be illegal. ;) You gotta wonder how much they alone hinder people's experiences with computers. They're such a bottleneck. I still can't believe Apple sells iMac's with HDDs standard. Please Apple just put a 1 TB fusion drive or 256 SSD in all iMacs. When you do that I'll buy one.

Last edited:

Fuzzy Dunlop

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
How is this news? I was surprised (and disappointed) when I noticed they hadn't gotten rid of the non-retina MBP in October. The retina 13" is only $100 more expensive. Sure, it only comes with 128GB of disk space but for most people that should be enough. And if not, there are external drives that are very cheap. The screen and SSD are definitely worth the $100 upgrade. And if you can pay more, 8GB or 16GB of RAM is definitely worth it.

This is just sad, and a great example of the narcistic attitude prevalent in these threads. Why should someone care about something being sold that they had no interest in buying anyway?

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
You know, the only thing you can upgrade in it is RAM. Everything else you can never get it to be as fast as in the rMBP.
Even the SSD, if you shell out for dual-raid setup, you won't get as fast as a single PCIe drive. GPU i won't even go there.

And the price difference is 100$.

I wish you people would stop whining about things that aren't really as bad as you make them look. Get a desktop if you want to upgrade. And even on desktops, you can't swap things that you could 10 years ago. Eventually your computer becomes obsolete, how soon depends solely on your needs and your ability to maintain a steady system.

The speed of PCIe drive is insane, a little paging doesn't really affect the performance nearly as much as it does on an HDD.
Frankly, since most of the population (and this is the cheapest apple laptop) still works on HDDs, jumping to PCIe SSD is a big upgrade. Speed of SSDs also diminishes the need for ram a lot. You don't need everything open because it opens in less than a second. But you need to change the way you think about computing...
By the time RAM becomes an issue, everything else will, too.

I'm sorry, i just don't get how someone can do professional work on 8gb of RAM, while people can't browse web on it. Incomprehensible.

Exactly, some people think they need 8 GB of RAM for safari and 16 GB to edit a video in iMovie. :rolleyes:

SSD's make RAM way less of an issue, plus memory compression in Mavericks.

----------

In many cases, yes it is. And it's not upgradability alone, but I pretty much prefer the possibility of swapping out e.g. a broken hard drive/SSD without paying massive service fees. I've done upgrades/component repairs to pretty much all laptops I've owned over the years. It'll be sad to ditch an otherwise fine laptop when a single (typically user-replaceable) component breaks down.

If a flash component doesn't break down in the first year it probably won't for another 5. I've never heard of a Macbook Air SSD dying. These aren't mechanical HDDs you know. ;)

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Apple wants you to pay about $400 premium for the retina display, which really brings no benefit. $1,800 for a 13" laptop is crazy. What about those who all they need is a Mac laptop?

Yeah let's add 500 dollars onto the price to try and make a point. :rolleyes:

"What about those who all they need is a Mac laptop?"

Macbook air 11 for 999?

Macbook air 13 for 1099?

Macbook pro retina for 1299?

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
This is the kinda stuff apple does that makes me think about going back to using windows laptops. I have a mid-2012 mbp. I chose it ovet getting an air because the ram was upgradable and had more storage than the air. The max storage for an air was 256gb at the time. I knew that wasn't going to be enough for me. SSD is still too pricey these days and i hate carrying external hdd around.
Its a shame seeing a great laptop laid too rest.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
About time they did that.

As laptops get thinner and thinner, soldered parts will soon be prevalent among manufacturers. People are complaining about the non-upgradeability because Apple's the first one to do it, but other manufacturers will follow suit soon on their copycat MBAs or rMBPs.

The non-retina 1280x800's pixel density is pretty pathetic anyway, and optical discs are so last century. So are spinning HDDs.

Ultrabooks have already had soldered RAM and non upgradeable hard drives for a while now.

----------

That's fine, except Apple needs to significantly reduce the price if they expect people to buy a new one every few years.

They probably already know a lot of people buy a new one every other year (if not every year) at current prices. So, why change anything?

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Lol when will people realize that Apple is not aiming at YOU. They're aiming at the average, non-tech savvy consumer. I wouldn't be surprised if only 20% of Apple users actually cared about the computer being upgradable.

Apple makes a boatload off of average consumers, not forum posters.

Truth.

In any given week at the Apple Store I sold maybe two notebooks to people who knew what they were buying without it being spelled out to them.

The average Apple customer just wants a computer that "works" and has chosen an Apple because a friend, coworker or family member recommended it. Most new customers are college freshmen.

There are a lot of professionals out there that use Macs. But compared to 15 years ago, they pale in comparison to the number of Mac owners who's most complicated use of their Mac is organizing their image library in iPhoto.

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
You learn something new every day

Wow, I didn't realize Apple was still selling a 13" 2.5GHz MBP for $1199. I picked up mine in July 2012, one month after introduction, from Fry's on sale for $999, and have since upgraded the RAM from 4 to 8GB and put in a 256GB SSD. Yep, it's a sad day that upgradable MacBooks are going by the wayside.

dawhol9

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2002
This is hilarious….Has anyone seriously USED a rMBP??? Compared it to a non retina MBP in terms of speed and power? Its not even close. The rMBP is so much more responsive and so much more powerful. I bought one (with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB Flash Drive) and its replaced my MacPro as far as power and speed. Could I use 1TB of storage? Sure, but I actually like the fact that I have to be frugal with my disk usage. I have a nice external for my Photo and Music libraries that I usually have attached to my Mac Pro, not my rMBP, but I can easily connect it if needed. As for Logic Pro which I use professionally, it screams. Welcome to the new world of computing. You will replace your machine faster, but you will pay less for performance. I know people with the non retina MBP and the difference isn't small at all. I will replace my aging Mac Pro this year with the new Mac Mini. For $1000 it will have all the performance I need for years. When it comes time to upgrade in 4 years, I'll spend another $1000. I was going to get the new Mac Pro for its upgradability, but that will cost me 4K…Thats 4 Mac Minis and if I replace them every 3 years, thats 12 years before the Mac Pro makes more sense financially.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
true, but I know some people that just live on a single laptop. 128GB flash isn't going to cut it. and 4GB of non-upgradable ram is just going to kill the product very soon.

Strangely enough, with only 4 gigs of RAM, I can have Final Cut Pro X, Parallels, Windows 8.1 all running switching back and forth, and I rarely see a penalty for the RAM swap. I totally understand the other penalties, but it's weird, when you're using it for 95% of everything, you really don't notice it. It's that darn Flash HD that makes everything so spiffy!

Now the hard drive space... I'll give you that, but I just have a wireless drive I connect to to dump photos and vids to. I treat my laptop like a ssd on a Mac Pro tower... just the apps and my active project files, please! ^_^

Last edited:

dawhol9

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2002
Strangely enough, with only 4 gigs of RAM, I can have Final Cut Pro X, Parallels, Windows 8.1 all running switching back and forth, and I rarely see a penalty for the RAM swap. I totally understand the other penalties, but it's weird, when you're using it for 95% of everything, you really don't notice it. It's that darn Flash HD that makes everything so spiffy!

Now the hard drive space... I'll give you that, but I just have a wireless drive I connect to to dump photos and vids to. I treat my laptop like a ssd on a Mac Pro tower... just the apps and my active project files, please! ^_^

Yup…the technology in 10.9 makes it much more efficient on RAM with the new hardware. A lot of people are thinking about how it USED to work, not how the new machines work now. I have 8 GB and it flies…Logic Pro, running dozens of plug ins, and 60 tracks and the CPU is at under 50% load and about 10% on the SSD. When I see the older non retina MBP running this stuff its soooo much more sluggish. The SSD is really a huge deal.

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Honestly.. they need to put Haswell in it and offer to get a Retina version of this (Admittedly with 1 tb not 750gb) it would be A$ 2,859.00... vs $1350 it has cost for me to buy the Macbook + do the upgrades.
And that's why they want to discontinue MBP and force you to buy rMBP ... more $$$ for Apple ;)

I honestly think this is the ONLY reason why they solder in parts like RAM and SSD ... if they wanted they sure could make these parts removable and keep rMBP thin as is.

----------

It's $100 to go from 4GB of RAM to 8GB. Not unreasonable.
Sorry I meant 16GB RAM total. It's around $380 from Apple here in Europe.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Apple wants you to pay about $400 premium for the retina display, which really brings no benefit. $1,800 for a 13" laptop is crazy. What about those who all they need is a Mac laptop?

Who are you, the display police?

not to mention you exaggerated for $400, Apple currently charges 100$ for an SSD, Iris Pro (vs HD4000) AND a Retina display. If anything, Apple is crazy for charging that much for the old uMBP.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
This is hilarious….Has anyone seriously USED a rMBP??? Compared it to a non retina MBP in terms of speed and power? Its not even close. The rMBP is so much more responsive and so much more powerful.

Of course it is fast as its internals have been upgraded while the non-retina has been stagnant for quite a while now. However, those internals in the old upgradable/serviceable chassis would be equally fast without sacrificing on the options to keep the machine usable for quite a deal longer.

pmjoe

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
I keep picturing the unfortunate day when I will have to give up on Macs because they're priced out of reach of most people. Apple keeps heading down the road of non-upgradable systems and a locked out OS.

Once Apple drops the 13-inch MacBook Pro, their cheapest laptop Mac I'd even consider for daily use works out to $1600!!! I can only hope Apple's prices come down in the next few years, and/or Apple decides to start pricing their RAM much closer to market price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.