Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I think it might be to answer the "Apple isn't innovating" rumors.

The first iPhone was announced 6 months before it was available for purchase. They could absolutely pull the "one more thing" deal with the iWatch and have people talking for half the year and NOT buying products from anyone else while they get revved up for release.

Who knows?

I kind of agree, in that whatever happens, I just can't see Apple missing the pre Xmas selling window.

The iBand/iWatch will (I think) be an enormous seller for Apple, but will it sell as many if it misses that window?

I don't think so, as I think this will account for a huge amount of impulse buys, as it's not something that needs anything complicated like a phone contract and it's not a phone that needs to be purchased on the right network, etc, you just go in/online, buy the unit and you're done.

I do think you're right about an 'unveil' in September though, to get it out there and ensure anyone who's on the fence about a wearable will hold on 'because Apple will be releasing one' real soon.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
How Macrumors generate rumours:

1/ Grab 20 "Post It" notes, write vague and generic "rumours" on them.

2/ Grab 12 more, and write a month name on each one.

3/ Attach to cork board, pick up two darts and throw one dart for the "rumour", and another for the date.

4/ Transcribe results to website.

Anyone can make up random "news stories", give it a break you goons.

How incredibly rude.

Did you just join last month to share your rudeness with us?

----------

I have naturally big muscles but thats from working out and diet equally.

So not naturally big then? :D

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I still think that Apple will do something different, tablets and phones existed before the iPhone, but Apple took them and made them 10 times better. I believe this is what they will do with the iWatch. Fitness bands and smart watches are currently nothing special, until Apple brings something new they will not have the impact. Really looking forward to the 9th September :)

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
oh i hope Tim Cook keeps his mouth shut as much as possible and lets someone else do the presentation again. he is the worst and slowest public speaker i have ever heard.

"we haaaaaave some increeeeeedibleeeee ... pause ... things to show uuuuuuuuu ... pause ... tonight"

Agree - and he is very uncharismatic. Federighi is cool and not overselling stuff all the time. Love his presentations.

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
Personally, I'd love to see an iWatch announcement then, especially as it could spark up the competition between Apple and Google in the wearables market. However, I doubt the credibility of the source- we don't even know if the iPhone 6 will be announced on the 9th of September, yet.

I can imagine Tim Cook announcing the iPhone 6 then saying, in old Apple fashion: "And one more thing" before announcing the iWatch. :apple:

I guess we will just have to wait.

myforwik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2014
This iBand has huge potential for Apple and those who need it. I can think of the elder members of family who need constant monitoring in areas like predictive motion or a fall, a sudden drop in blood pressure or glucose, or any health related issue that requires immediate intervention by either family members or first responders. All existing med alert wearables lack so many details that can help responders determine how to approach.
If they can figure out how to charge it wirelessly, for senior folks are forgetful, this hypothetical device will sweep the healthcare industry. Then we need to tackle the Federal Lifeline to force phone companies to give discount internet as they do with phone line.

I hope it is an iBand for medical and health reasons - because this is only possible reason to buy one. I am hoping its a tiny 3-4mm by 15mm rist strap, no display, maybe 1 led indicator, month+ of charge, or solar/motion charged.

I wonder if its possible to measure things like blood pressure?

Apple certaintly have so hard-core health things going on. You don't go seeking medical approvals over some app. They must have hardware, hardware they think alot of people would more much more than a phone.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Maybe they'll announce the iWatch next month and begin to deliver it after a few month, not immediately.
They did the same in the past.
Back in 2010 iPad was announced in january and hit the shelves at the end of April.
iPhone was announced january 2007 and release after 6 months.

If there is some sort of "magic" interaction between iPhone 6 and the iWatch we didn't yet think about it would make sense to announce them during the same keynote.

picollus

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2007
Am I the only one here who think that this device is intented to replace / revolutionize the 'wallet'

It's not about watches... It's about portable digital life !, all your digitalized cards (banks, credit, vehicule, business cards), transaction, opening doors, controling devices such as cars, home automations...

Want to pay for something, just wave your hand over the scanner !

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
To all those doubters who don't think a wearable is coming from Apple: it's coming. Too many reports chatting about it, and not just the usual say-anything-for-a-click-and-citation like the Digitimes and friends crowd, are putting their cred on the line.

WSJ reported a couple days ago on how Swatch (the company, not the brand) is now concerned about an Apple band taking a few sales $s from its low and mid-line brands. Previously it wasn't swayed by any fitness band or smartwatch and viewed them as passing fads. Now Re/Code is being specific about the intro date, not just hypothesizing. This is happening guys, and it's going to be the breakout holiday gift because it will have something for everyone with more utility than any other "smartwatch," running/cycling watch, or fitness band. Plus it will have an Apple logo. Bonus points if it's water proof and can be used as a swim watch.

Last edited:

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
To all those doubters who don't think a wearable is coming from Apple: it's coming. Too many people and orbs, and not just the usual say-anything-for-a-click-and-citation like the Digitimes and friends crowd, are putting their cred on the line.

WSJ reported a couple days ago on how Swatch (the company, not the brand) is now concerned about an Apple band taking a few sales $s from its low and mid-line brands. Previously it wasn't swayed by any fitness band or smartwatch and viewed them as passing fads. Now Re/Code is being specific about the intro date, not just hypothesizing. This is happening guys, and it's going to be the breakout holiday gift because it will have something for everyone with more utility than any other "smartwatch," running/cycling watch, or fitness band. Plus it will have an Apple logo. Bonus points if it's water proof and can be used as a swim watch.

It will change the smartwatch market, samsung users will say they had it first, and then in a few months Samsung will introduce the S-iWatch which they've been working on for so long. Lather rinse repeat!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's not about watches... It's about portable digital life !

Yes, it was never about traditional watches, the watch is just the analogy. People here take it literally to mean a time piece. It will give you the time, but that's not its central purpose like a real watch. Don't know why it's hard for people to understand that point but you keep hearing people say... "I use my phone to see what time it is."

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Yes, it was never about traditional watches, the watch is just the analogy. People here take it literally to mean a time piece. It will give you the time, but that's not its central purpose like a real watch. Don't know why it's hard for people to understand that point but you keep hearing people say... "I use my phone to see what time it is."

Yup…just like the original iPhone in 2007…was not meant to literally be a phone, but rather a pocket computer …with a phone app in it….

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Yes, it was never about traditional watches, the watch is just the analogy. People here take it literally to mean a time piece. It will give you the time, but that's not it's central purpose like a real watch. Don't know why it's hard for people to understand that point but you keep hearing people say... "I use my phone to see what time it is."

Personally, the only smartwatch I'd be interested in would be a traditional watch with conventional hands where the face is a screen that can simply show that I have a call/email/message waiting.

I'm not interested in being able to talk to it, see the weather on it etc. etc.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
To all those doubters who don't think a wearable is coming from Apple: it's coming. Too many reports chatting about it, and not just the usual say-anything-for-a-click-and-citation like the Digitimes and friends crowd, are putting their cred on the line.

I agree, i also think it would have to be something big in order to make Nike stop producing their fuleband. Also Samsung have made an announcement for a new smart watch. Something has got all these companies worried, and i think its Apples iWatch. Only time will tell :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Personally, the only smartwatch I'd be interested in would be a traditional watch with conventional hands where the face is a screen that can simply show that I have a call/email/message waiting.

I'm not interested in being able to talk to it, see the weather on it etc. etc.

Fair enough. I wore a traditional watch since my parents gave me a Mickey Mouse watch for my 8th birthday. In middle school I had a couple of Swatch Watches, in high school and college a gold tone Seiko w/ sun and moon. That eventually stopped working and I bought a reproduction vintage Hamilton. Then for my 25th Bday my parents gave me an incredibly thin beautiful & expensive 24k gold Baume-Mercier. A true piece of jewelry. I wore it almost daily for 15 years until one day in May 2012 I bought a Fuel Band just to see how it worked. I never took the Fuel Band off -- but I did shed about 15 lbs.

So never say never. If a product is compelling enough people modify their demands, desires, wishes.

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
Watch for Apple never to release such a product.

"What happened to iWatch?"

Stock tanks.

There never was going to be an iWatch.

dauby88

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I think there's one significant factor running against "watch" - that timepiece is going to be one of its least important functions. "I don't need another watch," is a likely response. It's sorta like if iPhone had been called iPocketWatch. Yeah, so what if it can tell time?

That's a substantial part of the problem with "Google Glass." It comes right up against, "I don't want to wear glasses." The first response to a product name should not be a negative. It's far better to suggest what it enables, or to stake out a new brand identity altogether - "Announcing, Apple's all-new Dinglehopper!"

I have no good ideas of my own. Something like "iHealth" no doubt fails to mention many of its capabilities. "iPay" (for possible payment system usage) is just as limiting.

"iBand" has been circulating, and it certainly avoids the aforementioned shortcomings, but it says little else. "Band" itself may be limiting, if it can be worn in other ways - pendant, on/in-ear, sub-cutaneous implant.... Of course, "Macintosh" says little, other than that it's a variety of apple/Apple....

iGiveUp!

I think because it will replace people's "dumb" watches, they can call it the iWatch even though telling time isn't the best feature. Just like the iPhone, which replaced everyone's "dumb" phone, but it's best feature isn't the phone.

We'll see though. I think it's a fun discussion but it's not like I won't buy it if they don't call it what I want. I thought the name iPad was pretty odd. iBand may end up sticking. Who knows.

QdK

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
If they're smart, the iWatch won't be just a watch with some sports statistics capabilities.
It will be your personal hub to the internet, to which you connect your various other devices to go online, talk to people over the (i)phone, etc.
Handoff seems to support this idea of the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.