Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
Watch for Apple never to release such a product.

"What happened to iWatch?"

Stock tanks.

There never was going to be an iWatch.

What's your justification? Apple have just hired a vast array of professionals in the wearable and especially watches field. iOS 8 introduces a new service called HealthKit, which almost certainly points to the introduction of a health orientated wearable device.

Apple has also filed a ton of patents in recent years which focus on a wrist worn device. One of them is labeled iTime, however, Apple has the right of the name iWatch in several countries and recently has started trademarking the name in more countries. The name of the device, obviously remains uncertain.

As for part leaks, there are never any part leaks of a newborn product. Take the iPad and iPhone for example. There were never any leaked parts from factories, however people still speculated the product for other reasons, like what we have seen currently with the iWatch (or whatever it get's called).

I think Apple could announce the product on September 9th before a launch several months later- as they did similar with the iPhone and iPad. The iPhone was announced 6 months before it's launch, which allowed for minimal speculation of the product.

So, don't be surprised when you see an Apple wearable popup at an Apple keynote sometime this year.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Fair enough. I wore a traditional watch since my parents gave me a Mickey Mouse watch for my 8th birthday. In middle school I had a couple of Swatch Watches, in high school and college a gold tone Seiko w/ sun and moon. That eventually stopped working and I bought a reproduction vintage Hamilton. Then for my 25th Bday my parents gave me an incredibly thin beautiful & expensive 24k gold Baume-Mercier. A true piece of jewelry. I wore it almost daily for 15 years until one day in May 2012 I bought a Fuel Band just to see how it worked. I never took the Fuel Band off -- but I did shed about 15 lbs.

So never say never. If a product is compelling enough people modify their demands, desires, wishes.

Cool story, bro.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Yup…just like the original iPhone in 2007…was not meant to literally be a phone, but rather a pocket computer …with a phone app in it….

Actually, in the beginning Steve Jobs repeatedly emphasized that he did NOT want anyone to think of the iPhone as a pocket computer.

Of course, that was before his crew convinced him that it would be okay to allow native third party apps.

Yes, it was never about traditional watches, the watch is just the analogy. People here take it literally to mean a time piece. It will give you the time, but that's not its central purpose like a real watch. Don't know why it's hard for people to understand that point but you keep hearing people say... "I use my phone to see what time it is."

I don't think most people are assuming that a smartwatch's primary purpose is a timepiece, any more than they assume that a smartphone's primary purpose is as a clock.

I do think that many people who have not owned one, do not understand how nice it is to be able to get subtle notifications without pulling out your phone. And, for that matter, being able to check the time :)

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
Also, does Re/Code have a good record with predicting the announcement of a product. Many sites seem to think September 9th is absolutely the definite announcement date of the iPhone 6, but, where did Re/Code get that idea from?

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Personally, the only smartwatch I'd be interested in would be a traditional watch with conventional hands where the face is a screen that can simply show that I have a call/email/message waiting.

I'm not interested in being able to talk to it, see the weather on it etc. etc.

Did you email Tim so he shuts down production?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Cool story, bro.

Ah. Somehow I doubt the truth in your original post now because no one interested in only a traditional watch style would use such a hackneyed and juvenile comment.

I don't think most people are assuming that a smartwatch's primary purpose is a timepiece, any more than they assume that a smartphone's primary purpose is as a clock.

I do think that many people who have not owned one, do not understand how nice it is to be able to get subtle notifications without pulling out your phone. And, for that matter, being able to check the time :)

The people who want an Apple smartwatch as it's been described these past months understand, yes, agreed. But that's not who I was referencing. The watch haters among us continue to say they don't wear watches; ask why they need a watch when they have a phone; and say they use their phone to tell time. Such comments liter almost every "iWatch" discussion here on MR.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I'm trying to remember the name of the runner back in the 70's, I think, wrote books and went on all the talk shows promoting running as the key to good health. He dropped dead from a heart attack at a young age because of his fatty unhealthy diet.

Being in doubt, I would say that the wisest thing is to exercise AND eat healthy. :)

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Did you email Tim so he shuts down production?

I'm not sure why 'Tim' would be interested in my personal tastes, nor do I have any desires to tell him. I was just joining in the discussion and giving my opinion.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
"Rude"? :-/ how so?

It was when you said this in your previous post:

Moto G said:
How Macrumors generate rumours:

1/ Grab 20 "Post It" notes, write vague and generic "rumours" on them.

2/ Grab 12 more, and write a month name on each one.

3/ Attach to cork board, pick up two darts and throw one dart for the "rumour", and another for the date.

4/ Transcribe results to website.

Anyone can make up random "news stories", give it a break you goons.

I thought it was wholly unnecessary.

Anyway, I still think Apple will pull out every conceivable stop to get this out for the Xmas shoppers.

It may well be announced/revealed at the iPhone conference, to let people know that it's coming and not to bother with anything else wearable you may have at the back of your mind, because Apple will be releasing one real soon.

If they miss the Xmas window, that's an enormous amount of sales they will miss out and and potentially not get back.

The hype for a new Apple product will be off the chart and people will be in stores and on the website in their droves, not to mention the people that will be popping in to get their wives/girlfriends/husbands/boyfriends a nice case for their iDevice and decide to get an iWatch/iBand while they're there.

That is a one time only window, even if they delayed it until Xmas 2015, they hype will be gone.

It's a very short window leading up to Xmas and that's why I think this will launch for Xmas 2014.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I cannot see the final product being like the concept, if you compare to the Fuel Band or others their screens are very basic, its just made up of dots, how can a screen with detail like that hold up to active lifestyles?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Maybe they'll announce the iWatch next month and begin to deliver it after a few month, not immediately.
They did the same in the past.
Back in 2010 iPad was announced in january and hit the shelves at the end of April.
iPhone was announced january 2007 and release after 6 months.

If there is some sort of "magic" interaction between iPhone 6 and the iWatch we didn't yet think about it would make sense to announce them during the same keynote.

Apple makes these delayed-shipping announcements of new products for a couple of reasons, but the consistent thread is their knowledge that the manufacturing supply chain will start leaking details once it goes into production.

----------

Kind of depends on how you define "most people." The threads here that have resulted in the most lengthy and excited debate are the ones featuring some silly watch-like concept for "the iWatch." No surprise, they always turn into arguments over the merits of various timepieces. After drumming up these bogus concepts for months, MR finally backed off on referring to all wearable product rumors as being about "the iWatch," admitting that they don't know what to call Apple's wearable. But it's really too late. That horse is already out of the barn and has left the property.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Wearable Device

Idiots! Tim Cook will be wearing a new Isports Coat, a new line of Apple products, instead of his tacky shirts. The jeans will still be there unfortunately.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
None can or will confirm anything right now but can you name a single time that Mossberg or Recode crew have stood behind a rumor that wasn't true? I can't.\
Not the point. They are not Apple. If their track record is 100% then they have inside information. And that is all surrounded by NDAs. Basically stuff they should not be saying.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Not the point. They are not Apple. If their track record is 100% then they have inside information. And that is all surrounded by NDAs. Basically stuff they should not be saying.

Not sure what the point is then. This is a rumor forum. Anyone who has 100% accurate track record is much more valuable to the reader than Apple itself because Apple doesn't engage or spread rumors officially but journalists do all the time.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Not sure what the point is then. This is a rumor forum. Anyone who has 100% accurate track record is much more valuable to the reader than Apple itself because Apple doesn't engage or spread rumors officially but journalists do all the time.

The point is there are only 3 kinds of people before Apple announces something:

1. People who spread rumours leaks and talk about them.
2. People who spread inside information (and they know that's wrong to do so)
3. Apple themselves who say nothing till the official announcement.

These people are number 2.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
this is the kind of reporting that kills apple's stock

rumors come out last minute that apple is going to do something that EVERY SINGLE SOURCE OF INFO BEFORE SAID WOULDN'T HAPPEN

Expectations are raised

Stock is inflated

The moment of truth comes, failing these expectations

Stock holders lose a lot of money.

!!!!!!!

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
problem with iWatch if it is meerley a slightly expanded health band is it will communicate with your phone but then the phone is designed to communicate with your dr and care provider.

in the UK and other parts of the world outside the US this is not available.

So much US focus can really harm these product launches, like it has with Apple tv to an extent. I hope Apple is thinking about this and not isolating themselves.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Watch for Apple never to release such a product.

"What happened to iWatch?"

Stock tanks.

There never was going to be an iWatch.

Apple has hinted quite a few times they wanted to make a watch. No one remembers them even hinting at it when they did this with the iPod Nano?
iPod_nano_watch_otheraps.jpg

I honestly took it that when Apple started to try to advertise the iPod Nano like this that they were doing some "testing" and had something up their sleeve for a "new product."

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Wow, even Macrumors has committed to this "rumor" -- including iWatch in the countdown timer on the homepage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.