Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Novus John

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Films will be displaying pull down judder if played at the wrong framerate. Doesn’t matter how well things are configured. It’s just that some people don’t notice it probably because they’re so conditioned to watching material that way.

you're the expert, boss.

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
you're the expert, boss.

It’s simple maths really. How many 24s are in 60? Broadcasters for years have been implementing a 3:2 pulldown which involves doubling up some frames to get a 24 frame per second source to match a 60hz output. This insertion of frames is what causes the judder and people can notice it when a doubled up frame is displayed.

Some newer TVs can do a reverse 3:2 pulldown and extract a judder free image from a 60hz signal. They tend to output the final image at 120hz which is a multiple of 24. The Mac certainly doesn’t do that though so 3:2 pulldown judder will absolutely be present.

Reactions: vipergts2207

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
When comparing between itunes version of rogue one at 24 and my blue ray player its no comparison the blue blows away itunes and while itunes looks ok in gonna go for a dedicated 4 k player in not abandoning disk just yet

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I’m still confused about the refresh rate. What have you guys set it at? Read this article but still not sure.

http://4k.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-tv-refresh-rates-in-one-post-15371-2/

Depends on the source, that's why this is a problem. It takes 10-14 steps to manually switch back and forth between formats.

For me, it's 4K 24Hz HDR for HDR encoded movies (SDR for non). There's not generally enough non-movie 4K content I watch, but I suppose some TV series offered in 4K and especially streaming 4K sports are likely offered at 60Hz (region dependant). 1080p 60Hz SDR for most common sources, like OTA TV and streaming. I'd switch to 1080p 24Hz SDR for 1080p movies, but Apple doesn't even offer it. In some cases, depending on the original source, I'll switch to 720p 60Hz SDR as my TV can improve the picture over Apples upres.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Depends on the source, that's why this is a problem. It takes 10-14 steps to manually switch back and forth between formats.

For me, it's 4K 24Hz HDR for HDR encoded movies (SDR for non). 1080p 60Hz SDR for most common sources, like OTA TV and streaming. I'd switch to 1080p 24Hz SDR for 1080p movies, but Apple doesn't even offer it. In some cases, depending on the original source, I'll switch to 720p 60Hz SDR as my TV can improve the picture over Apples upres.

Thanks for your reply. You’d think that Apple would be able to sort this out to auto-select.

Reactions: dman67

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Thanks for your reply. You’d think that Apple would be able to sort this out to auto-select.

They can, but the reality is, this is likely intentional, as this box is aimed more at the average TV viewer than the home theater enthusiast. They'd rather cut down on the lag time while the box or TV switches to the proper format. It also guarantees the best overall picture, or at least consistent picture regardless of original source for most viewers, even if it's fake HDR.

My mom used to like the old CRT color TV turned up so that reds over saturated the screen, and everything looked garish, but she insisted she bought a color TV and wanted to see the color. The sad part is, most will turn on HDR and not realize their picture is actually worse on some content. Or if they do, they will turn it off, and not realize they aren't getting it on movies that have it.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

elwaylite

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010
I only use the box to display 4k iTunes content so mine is permanently set to 4k HDR 24hz.

That's my thing, for me it is going to be for movie rentals, 4K HDR and 1080p HD. I am just going to leave it on 4k/24 HDR, and then if the movie I rent is HD only, I'll change it to 4k/24 SDR.

I just got my 32gig last night, and when I selected 4k/24 HDR, it told me it was going to output 2160p UHD 24hz HDR-10 422, which is just fine.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Unless your tv has 120hz refresh rate you might not even bother with it. Also some films have 25fps and 120 is not an integer multiple of it, so the results would be crap again.

As far as I know, 25 fps is only common in Europe and is just 24 fps sped up by 4% to account for their different panel refresh rates. The ATV does 25 Hz output for those use cases anyway.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Just rented The Last Face from iTunes this evening. Charlize Theron was stunning in it. Great film but incredibly dark and sad whilst being beautiful at the same time.
The audio was poor tough and we were turning the volume up and down. Sadly watched on ATV4 with no 24p mode. There was a lot of panning throughout the film both horizontally and vertically and the judder was dire - absolutely awful, I reckon the worst that i've ever seen on a film. Anyone who is over aware of judder would be very upset. I can't believe that things like this haven't been taken into consideration with modern design. It really spoils a film.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Just rented The Last Face from iTunes this evening. Charlize Theron was stunning in it. Great film but incredibly dark and sad whilst being beautiful at the same time.
The audio was poor tough and we were turning the volume up and down. Sadly watched on ATV4 with no 24p mode. There was a lot of panning throughout the film both horizontally and vertically and the judder was dire - absolutely awful, I reckon the worst that i've ever seen on a film. Anyone who is over aware of judder would be very upset. I can't believe that things like this haven't been taken into consideration with modern design. It really spoils a film.

Do you mean no 24p HD mode? There is a 24p 4K mode, on the second page (via "more") of format options. That's what I use, but my complaint is I don't care for ATV's upscaling of 1080p movies, my Sony does a better job.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Do you mean no 24p HD mode? There is a 24p 4K mode, on the second page (via "more") of format options. That's what I use, but my complaint is I don't care for ATV's upscaling of 1080p movies, my Sony does a better job.

ATV4 was mentioned which doesn’t do 24p full stop.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
ATV4 was mentioned which doesn’t do 24p full stop.

I see. More to the point of this article the ATV4K still doesn't do 24p in HD, only 4K. And yes, it's hard to believe "that things like this haven't been taken into consideration with modern design".

Apple may be relying on the TV to handle judder, which my Sony 900E does very well, regardless of the frame rate. Though native 24Hz is far preferable, since the motion settings have to be slightly adjusted when doing a pulldown from a higher frame rate.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
GUYS! Your prayers have been answered! I'd like to see everyone happy please. Atmos is on its way. So c'mon time to smile and damn well ENJOY that movie with friends, laughs and cheer because let's be honest, that's what movie time is all about isn't it!

Reactions: Agent2015

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I think you are losing sight of Apple's target audience for this product. It isn't for the home theatre tweaker that relishes the thought of tweaking every last parameter to their satisfaction. This is a mass market 4K solution that will please anyone that is happy with their iPhone.

Based on the newest beta firmware, it looks like Apple decided to listen to the ‘home theater tweakers’ on this one with an option for native mode.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I get a random thin white line flicker at the top of my 2016 Oled when Atv is set to DV 24hz
Anyone know why? Or notice the same?
Looks like the result of underscanning.....?

JWort93

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
I get a random thin white line flicker at the top of my 2016 Oled when Atv is set to DV 24hz
Anyone know why? Or notice the same?
Looks like the result of underscanning.....?

Can't say I've noticed that on my 2016 B6 OLED.

TRay170

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
GUYS! Your prayers have been answered! I'd like to see everyone happy please. Atmos is on its way. So c'mon time to smile and damn well ENJOY that movie with friends, laughs and cheer because let's be honest, that's what movie time is all about isn't it!

What settings are 2016 LG B6 OLED owners using with this new 11.2 beta release. I have Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate turned on and that seems to be taking care of the dreaded soap opera effect. However I only see HDR being used when using the ATV UI. I am curious what it is doing for 4K rentals and Netflix content for example. No sure what resolution it is actually showing since the matching is turned on.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
What settings are 2016 LG B6 OLED owners using with this new 11.2 beta release. I have Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate turned on and that seems to be taking care of the dreaded soap opera effect. However I only see HDR being used when using the ATV UI. I am curious what it is doing for 4K rentals and Netflix content for example. No sure what resolution it is actually showing since the matching is turned on.

Wouldn't your TV now tell you exactly what resolution it is showing with Matching is turned on? How you currently get picture information on the TV should be source accurate now with matching. Previously my TV only reported what resolution the ATV 4K was set to, regardless of the source. But matching should now report to your TV the exact resolution of the source.

TRay170

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
Wouldn't your TV now tell you exactly what resolution it is showing with Matching is turned on? How you currently get picture information on the TV should be source accurate now with matching. Previously my TV only reported what resolution the ATV 4K was set to, regardless of the source. But matching should now report to your TV the exact resolution of the source.

Thanks. There isn't a real intuitive way of showing what resolution the TV is displaying. Something simple like a "info" button. In any event for those who care if you click on the screen with the TV remote to get the cursor you can then hover over the input in the top left and click on it to see the resolution. Still going to use TV apps for Netflix as they will take advantage of HDR and ATV 4K can't with my TV. 4K rentals don't utilize HDR either but still better than 1080P. Thanks for the reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.