Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrismeilak

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2009
What settings are 2016 LG B6 OLED owners using with this new 11.2 beta release. I have Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate turned on and that seems to be taking care of the dreaded soap opera effect. However I only see HDR being used when using the ATV UI. I am curious what it is doing for 4K rentals and Netflix content for example. No sure what resolution it is actually showing since the matching is turned on.

I have a B6 and noticed this, I read in a forum somewhere it’s beacuse they default the UI to be displayed at 60hz. The b6 (inc any 2016 LG sets) can’t do Dolby Vision at 60hz but can in HDR, hence why you are seeing HDR only on the UI. as soon as you start a Dolby Vision movie it’s Changes to Dolby Vision as the frame rate is set to the films rate which would not be 60hz more like 24hz. Hope this helps!

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I replaced an Apple TV 4 with a 4K and installed the developer beta on it. No auto switching occurs to 1080 24fps sd but manually setting it does.
Is it flawed or are it not supposed to autoswitch when the swtting is set to on?

chrismeilak

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2009
I replaced an Apple TV 4 with a 4K and installed the developer beta on it. No auto switching occurs to 1080 24fps sd but manually setting it does.
Is it flawed or are it not supposed to autoswitch when the swtting is set to on?
Have you set it to match frame rate and dynamic range. Two options both should be set to yes

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I have now set it to 1080p 50Hz (European TV standard) and match resolution only and it actually switches to 24Hz with some apps. If I set it to 24Hz it does not autoswitch back to 50 or 60Hz.

Netflix and built in Movies works fine. Plex, HBO etc does not autoswitch at all, yet.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I have now set it to 1080p 50Hz (European TV standard) and match resolution only and it actually switches to 24Hz with some apps. If I set it to 24Hz it does not autoswitch back to 50 or 60Hz.

Netflix and built in Movies works fine. Plex, HBO etc does not autoswitch at all, yet.

Wait, what? You have an option to set it to 1080p 24Hz? So that's been added to 11.2 then?

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Wait, what? You have an option to set it to 1080p 24Hz? So that's been added to 11.2 then?

You can set it to 1080p 24Hz in 11.2. What I am confused about is his claim to have enabled a ‘match resolution’ option because I don’t believe that exists

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
IMHO you can set it to 1080p 24Hz already now, on aTV 4K running tvOS 11.
What 11.2 will be adding is autoswitching the framerate and/or HDR.

Ah ok. I hadn’t seen that option prior to moving to the beta of 11.2. You’re right about what 11.2 adds. Crucially it’s important to note that it doesn’t add autoswitching of resolution as there seems to be a bit of confusion regarding that.

fsl2017

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017

That is currently the expected behaviour. Only few apps (Netflix, Itunes Movie) support the auto switching. All other Apps like Plex, HBO, Infuse, etc do not support the feature yet. The explanation here is: Obviously the Netflix and for sure the itunes Movie player use the standard playback engine (or however this is called). All other Apps which don't do that have to implement the switching. For Infuse e.g. it was announced soon after the public release of 11.2.

I am on Plex beta, now signs that something is going into the direction yet. As well I didn't see official confirmations for doing so.

Frank

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Crucially it’s important to note that it doesn’t add autoswitching of resolution as there seems to be a bit of confusion regarding that.
True. Don't even know, where does this claim come from. It was in none of the articles or YouTube spots I've seen so far.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
That is currently the expected behaviour. Only few apps (Netflix, Itunes Movie) support the auto switching. All other Apps like Plex, HBO, Infuse, etc do not support the feature yet. The explanation here is: Obviously the Netflix and for sure the itunes Movie player use the standard playback engine (or however this is called). All other Apps which don't do that have to implement the switching. For Infuse e.g. it was announced soon after the public release of 11.2.

I am on Plex beta, now signs that something is going into the direction yet. As well I didn't see official confirmations for doing so.

Frank

This might well explain the delay of the Amazon app then ...?

True. Don't even know, where does this claim come from. It was in none of the articles or YouTube spots I've seen so far.

Really? So it only auto switches refresh rate and SDR/HDR?

That's something, but sort of misses the bigger point. So I'll still have to manually switch between 1080p and 4K sources, depending on whether I want my TV to upres the image or the ATV?

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
This might well explain the delay of the Amazon app then ...?

That's something, but sort of misses the bigger point. So I'll still have to manually switch between 1080p and 4K sources, depending on whether I want my TV to upres the image or the ATV?

To be fair, the Apple TV does a decent job of upscaling the image. I haven’t noticed any significant difference between setting it to native or leaving it at 4k. The Nvidia Shield has horrendous upscaling but that doesn’t seem to be the case with the Apple TV

Reactions: dman67

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia

I also have not found any reason to switch it to lower res and not let aTV do the upscaling (apart from playing back single-frame 3D). I would even imagine aTV has far more powerful CPU and GPU than any consumer television. And Apple maintains their software in shorter cycles than most TV vendors do.

Last edited:
Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
To be fair, the Apple TV does a decent job of upscaling the image. I haven’t noticed any significant difference between setting it to native or leaving it at 4k. The Nvidia Shield has horrendous upscaling but that doesn’t seem to be the case with the Apple TV

I also have not found any reason to switch it to lower res and not let aTV do the upscaling (apart from playing back single-frame 3D). I would even imagine aTV has far more powerful CPU and GPU than any consumer television. And Apple maintains their software in shorter cycles than most TV vendors do.

This depends 100% on the TV you have and the algorhythms in use, not to mention the post signal processing available and the sophistication of it. So it's not really a hardware issue at all.

I can assure you in my view, the ATV 4K does not do as good a job upscaling a 1080p picture to 4K as my Sony 900E does. I've done a head to head comparison and the Sony has a better-looking picture in all cases.

Now maybe when Apple improves their algorhythms and introduces adjustable post signal processing in the box it will equal or surpass my TV's capabilities eventually.

There are other reasons for wanting the Native 1080p display output correctly in my particular case -- again something that might not apply to everyone -- my TV reduces the amount of picture adjustments I have with a 4K signal, in particular I cannot stretch or zoom an image. So with some 4:3 content, I can't change the aspect ratio in 4K to fill the screen, or in some cases compress an as broadcast stretched image to appear normal.

So this is not really good news. Fortunately the bulk of the content I watch is not 4K. So it just means one additional adjustment before watching a 4K movie. With any luck, Apple will make that a Siri shortcut, since that's the only parameter that needs to be switched now: "Siri, switch to 1080p", "Switch to 4K", easy enough.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
There are other reasons for wanting the Native 1080p display output correctly in my particular case -- again something that might not apply to everyone -- my TV reduces the amount of picture adjustments I have with a 4K signal, in particular I cannot stretch or zoom an image. So with some 4:3 content, I can't change the aspect ratio in 4K to fill the screen, or in some cases compress an as broadcast stretched image to appear normal.

Why would anyone want to intentionally stretch a 4:3 image to fill the screen as everything would be out of proportion?

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Why would anyone want to intentionally stretch a 4:3 image to fill the screen as everything would be out of proportion?
Various reasons. Modern stretch algorhythms reduce the amount of proportional warping by focusing the stretching to the sides of the primary image. One can also zoom the image as well, without any proportional distortions, which results in some cropping but does not necessarily affect all material negatively. For plasma sets, and many OLED sets, having a stretched picture reduces the chances of burn in from letterbox or pillar box bars. It makes my mother very happy as she hates the black bars. I find zooming makes some shows more aesthetically pleasing. I personally don't care for stretched picture in some cases, but it does have its occasional usefulness.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
I just want to confirm something. I have read some of the more recent posts in this thread and want to make certain I am not misunderstanding.

Will the Apple TV 4K, on the most recent developer beta, auto switch between 1080p SDR @ 60Hz and 1080p SDR @ 24Hz?

I just picked up an Apple TV 4K tonight. I won't be upgrading to a 4K TV until after Christmas, but had an Apple Store gift card and there wasn't anything else I wanted at that price point. Thank you.

EDIT: Looks like it is in certain apps anyway. Very nice!

Last edited:

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
I just want to confirm something. I have read some of the more recent posts in this thread and want to make certain I am not misunderstanding.

Will the Apple TV 4K, on the most recent developer beta, auto switch between 1080p SDR @ 60Hz and 1080p SDR @ 24Hz?

I just picked up an Apple TV 4K tonight. I won't be upgrading to a 4K TV until after Christmas, but had an Apple Store gift card and there wasn't anything else I wanted at that price point. Thank you.

EDIT: Looks like it is in certain apps anyway. Very nice!

Yeah..any app which uses the native video player will auto switch frame rate, colour space and between HDR and SDR. It won’t switch resolution but the in built upscaler does an ok job.

Apps which don’t use the native player require the developer to do a bit of work but apps are being upgraded.

Finally the software update is also available as a public beta so you don’t need a developer account to take advantage of it.

Scott Davilla

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2016
This got me curious. I have a Samsung UHDTV. 4K/HDR capable.

Set tvOS to 1080p/60/HDR. It Switched fine (under MrMC) to 24Hz/SDR and 24Hz/HDR just fine.
Set tvOS to 1080p/60/SDR. This also switched fine to 24Hz/SDR and 24Hz/HDR.

Even 4K/HDR switched to right display rate but it stayed at 1080p.

Color scalings looked correct in all modes.

This is under tvOS 11.2 beta5.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Yeah..any app which uses the native video player will auto switch frame rate, colour space and between HDR and SDR. It won’t switch resolution but the in built upscaler does an ok job.

Apps which don’t use the native player require the developer to do a bit of work but apps are being upgraded.

Finally the software update is also available as a public beta so you don’t need a developer account to take advantage of it.
Well, not exactly. Plex uses the native video player and does not auto switch the frame rate. Even in their beta. Infuse uses their own player and it is working fully in their beta.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

Not really acceptable. It still means I'm going to have to manually switch between 1080p and 4K. Hopefully there will be a Siri shortcut for that, or at a minimum won't require me to confirm my TV can produce the signal. It takes up to 14 steps now to switch between resolutions and back. Hopefully that can be reduced to two.

It doesn’t change resolution, if you want 4K then it needs to be set as 4K.

Hopefully Apple will eventually fix this.
[doublepost=1512054411][/doublepost]
This got me curious. I have a Samsung UHDTV. 4K/HDR capable.

Set tvOS to 1080p/60/HDR. It Switched fine (under MrMC) to 24Hz/SDR and 24Hz/HDR just fine.
Set tvOS to 1080p/60/SDR. This also switched fine to 24Hz/SDR and 24Hz/HDR.

Even 4K/HDR switched to right display rate but it stayed at 1080p.

Color scalings looked correct in all modes.

This is under tvOS 11.2 beta5.

Curious ... What 1080p HDR content do you have access to?

Will 4K HDR content even be available to stream if the tvOS format is set to 1080p? And if so, does it dither down, and still convey proper HDR encoding?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States

Wait a minute! You can get a 24p/Hz setting at 1080p? Why is this not available on the ATV 4th gen. (not 4K)???? I see no options for this manually or otherwise, only a bunch of 60/50Hz. (...I have a 2013 blu-ray player that will play content at 24p on this TV, so, I know the set-up works.) ...I'm running the 11.2 beta...AirPlay and Home Sharing is slightly improved.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Wait a minute! You can get a 24p/Hz setting at 1080p? Why is this not available on the ATV 4th gen. (not 4K)???? I see no options for this manually or otherwise, only a bunch of 60/50Hz. (...I have a 2013 blu-ray player that will play content at 24p on this TV, so, I know the set-up works.) ...I'm running the 11.2 beta...AirPlay and Home Sharing is slightly improved.

Doesn’t have the required chip to run that frame rate........Apparently

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.