Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Deadpool, Deadpool 2, Logan for movies (technically 20th century fox released them but they are Marvel movies) then there's the Netflix TV shows you listed.
And Yes, Iron Fist was .... not good.

Doesn’t count. Disney didn’t do it. They are Marvel characters. Not Marvel movies.

Reactions: tonyr6

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I'm a Christian with values too. ? But I also enjoy shows and movies that are rated R and MA. I'm a grownup...I can handle R and MA. If you can't...don't watch it. It's pretty simple...
Funny is I have Christian friends that also watch R and MA rated content too. I agree I won't watch it however I will complain if I show I really wanted to watch is going to be MA aka possible Amazing Stories on ATV+ and LoTR on APV.

Reactions: aaronhead14

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
It is fairly simple to steer clear of MA/R rated content. They practically rub the rating in your face prior to beginning the show/movie.
If it is not in a particular persons level of comfort then just do not watch it. We still have choices.

Every person has values. Just don't go placing yours upon other people and then judging them based on your values. You wouldn't enjoy it if they did the same. Just let another person do what they enjoy in the 1 very short life they get.
[automerge]1571347101[/automerge]
Doesn’t count. Disney didn’t do it. They are Marvel characters. Not Marvel movies.
Disney owns the company. Yes, they did do it, and the CEO said they will be producing more.
Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 4.19.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 4.20.26 PM.png

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Funny is I have Christian friends that also watch R and MA rated content too. I agree I won't watch it however I will complain if I show I really wanted to watch is going to be MA aka possible Amazing Stories on ATV+ and LoTR on APV.

This is where you lose me. Why complain? I hate reality tv. I don’t complain when another one gets announced. You can watch these shows. No one is stopping you. The only person stopping you is you. /Amazon never said they were going to make Christian friendly content. But as I said before if that’s what you need they both offer subscription services that can fulfill those needs.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
It is fairly simple to steer clear of MA/R rated content. They practically rub the rating in your face prior to beginning the show/movie.
If it is not in a particular persons level of comfort then just do not watch it. We still have choices.

Every person has values. Just don't go placing yours upon other people and then judging them based on your values. You wouldn't enjoy it if they did the same. Just let another person do what they enjoy in the 1 very short life they get.
[automerge]1571347101[/automerge]

Disney owns the company. Yes, they did do it, and the CEO said they will be producing more.
View attachment 870365
View attachment 870366

My mistake. I assumed the purchase was recent. So IMO it wasn’t a good example because it happened prior to Disney.

And I completely agree with you on placing your values on other people.

Reactions: GreginNJ

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I understand. I just go off if I show I really want to watch expecting PG or 14 is MA rated and I can't watch it like I went off in AVSForum about Netflix Marvel shows.

However I understand I have choice to avoid it and I do restricting my Netflix profile to "Teens and Below", subscribing to Boomerang "classic cartoons", soon to be Disney+ which I know I can watch anything on there.

Just trying to avoid it in your face like annoying Amazon Prime and Hulu showing much R and MA rated content everytime I launch there respective apps becomes an nusance "not recommended does not work" which I why I will be dropping Hulu soon. Can't drop Prime Video as I buy things on Amazon for 2-day shipping and Prime discounts.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jakeuten

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Has anyone ever watched the “edited for TV“ version of Scarface? It’s quite comical.

No. Just seems like a waste of time. TBH I hate watching movies on TV. I don’t even like watching movies on HBO because of the cropping.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
They do have content for everyone. As it should be. Of course they're free to offer whatever they want however they want it. I'll vote with my wallet. If you don't want to watch MA then don't. Why deprive the rest of us? And if they don't offer ever I'll just go somewhere else.

In my experience, the people that protest too much are biggest sinners.

Last edited:

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Anyway I have no reasons to even sign up for ATV+. I don't plan on getting any new Apple devices for the free year just for Ghostwriter and Peanuts in Space. However that might change if Amazing Stories is not Mature.

Reactions: aaronhead14

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
This is where you lose me. Why complain?
Yeah, this thread does seem to be strange.

It kind of reminds me of that one member that always posts strange threads.
@Hieveryone

Well not Iron Fist.
Iron Fist was .... not good.
I think that Iron Fist gets a lot of undeserved hate, especially the first season.

I watched the first season twice, and it isn't that bad, imo. I just think it is one of those things that people hate, just to hate it.

While Rotten Tomato ratings isn't always great for comparing the quality of media, it can sometimes be helpful to illustrate inconsistencies between overall reviews, and can highlight when hype and group-think influences reviews on things.
Iron Fist is the best Netflix Marvel show, but comparing the rotten tomato rating of the first season of Iron Fist (21%) to the second season (57%), there seems to be inconsistencies.

While I think there was improvements with the second season, such as the fight scene choreography, the second season was painfully predictable, while still be a horrible ending.

Again, I am not saying it was a great show, I just think that people are overly critical of it.

Compare it to another show on Netflix, Sense8.

On paper, that would be a show that I love. Based on the trailers, and what I read about it, I was excited to watch the first season when it was first released.

Sadly, I was a little disappointed in the show. It wasn't horrible, but disappointing. It was predictable, had some silly subplots not fitting with the rest of the show, and some of the dialog was just horrible.

It definitely wasn't the worse show, but the first season of Sense8 currently has a 86% rotten tomato rating. Compare that with the first season of Iron First with 21%. Is the gap in the quality between the two shows really that much? Probably not.

Something interesting that I noticed, the Audience score of the First season of Iron Fist (74%) is actually higher than the second season (71%).

I would say that is more realistic than the gap from the Rotten Tomato rating.

I hate reality tv.
I'm with you here.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I think that Iron Fist gets a lot of undeserved hate, especially the first season.

I watched the first season twice, and it isn't that bad, imo. I just think it is one of those things that people hate, just to hate it.
For myself there isn't really a hate, I just have certain shows or movies that just don't keep my attention as much as others. So personally it just wasn't good in that particular case.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Yeah, this thread does seem to be strange.

It kind of reminds me of that one member that always posts strange threads.
@Hieveryone

I’m lucky to have never seen this person’s posts. #Blessed

While Rotten Tomato ratings isn't always great for comparing the quality of media, it can sometimes be helpful to illustrate inconsistencies between overall reviews, and can highlight when hype and group-think influences reviews on things.
Iron Fist is the best Netflix Marvel show, but comparing the rotten tomato rating of the first season of Iron Fist (21%) to the second season (57%), there seems to be inconsistencies.

While I think there was improvements with the second season, such as the fight scene choreography, the second season was painfully predictable, while still be a horrible ending.

Again, I am not saying it was a great show, I just think that people are overly critical of it.

On paper, that would be a show that I love. Based on the trailers, and what I read about it, I was excited to watch the first season when it was first released.

Sadly, I was a little disappointed in the show. It wasn't horrible, but disappointing. It was predictable, had some silly subplots not fitting with the rest of the show, and some of the dialog was just horrible.

It definitely wasn't the worse show, but the first season of Sense8 currently has a 86% rotten tomato rating. Compare that with the first season of Iron First with 21%. Is the gap in the quality between the two shows really that much? Probably not.

Something interesting that I noticed, the Audience score of the First season of Iron Fist (74%) is actually higher than the second season (71%).

I would say that is more realistic than the gap from the Rotten Tomato rating.

I don’t care about other people’s opinions. In fact I didn’t even really know other people didn’t like it. I didn’t watch the shows when everyone else did. I also never look at RT or anyone else rating site. I’m not even done with the Netflix Marvel shows. I watch everything years after it’s gone off. With that said. Danny Rand is an idiot. I rooted for the bad guys to kill him. Colleen needs her head examined for dating him. I would’ve loved to see her as the Iron Fist.

For me Iron Fist and Luke Cage were the weakest of the bunch. Although I still really enjoyed Luke! Shades was my favorite character.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
I understand. I just go off if I show I really want to watch expecting PG or 14 is MA rated and I can't watch it like I went off in AVSForum about Netflix Marvel shows.

However I understand I have choice to avoid it and I do restricting my Netflix profile to "Teens and Below", subscribing to Boomerang "classic cartoons", soon to be Disney+ which I know I can watch anything on there.

Just trying to avoid it in your face like annoying Amazon Prime and Hulu showing much R and MA rated content everytime I launch there respective apps becomes an nusance "not recommended does not work" which I why I will be dropping Hulu soon. Can't drop Prime Video as I buy things on Amazon for 2-day shipping and Prime discounts.

I hate it when I walk down the street and there are people “preaching the world of the Lord”. I don’t want to hear it, or have it rammed down my throat, but I can’t do anything about it either.
Don’t watch the shows, don’t subscribe to the services and stop complaining.
Life is full of things that you can’t change or alter, at least you can stop watching TV shows.
I can’t stop hearing about religion

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
The thread starter is being somewhat puritanical...

However, it is slightly frustrating that the TV/Movie industry has no middle gear and there has been a tendency to try and, shall we say, outdo Game of Thrones in terms of sex, violence and gore. American Gods managed to be gorier than the book (which was hardly suitable for the easily offended) and Star Trek didn't really need the gore and swearing upgrade that it got in Discovery (what is good for Battlestar Galactica is not necessarily good for Trek). I'm not personally put off by it, except when it gets used as a substitute for good ideas. Of course, its partly a reaction to the past prudishness of the big, US networks - and I guess that some shows (like Discovery) feel that if you're gonna get a 'MA' rating for showing a same-sex kiss, you might as well go for broke...

Well, there was the whole 'Martial arts superheroes should be Asian' thing, despite the culture/values/loyalty clash being part of the plot...

I think the real problem, though, might have been that Netflix just made too many "MA Marvel" shows too quickly, with the same basic concept: place a superhero in a semi-real-world setting where the villain is untouchable by the authorities (either by virtue of powers or just through plain old corruption), but beating up or killing the villain will have serious legal and moral consequences for the hero. Iron Fist came after two very strong shows and one OK one.

Daredevil was one show where I had a problem with the violence: I wasn't offended by it as such, but it was hypocritical and undermined the character: Daredevil is adamant about not taking lives, but has no problem handing out extreme (and graphically depicted) beatings that - in reality - would result in life-threatening injuries and permanent disability for many of the recipients - a disbelief that is easier to suspend in a camped-up "Whack!!! Splatt!!! Blam!!" comic book fight.

...which I enjoyed the first season of, but got bored and gave up halfway through the second when the underlying plot degraded to "special people being pursued by a sinister organisation... again". I wasn't offended (social conservatives wouldn't get through the first episode) but regular pansexual orgies are no substitute for an original plot. I think some of the (international) sub-plots and twisted relationships were actually more interesting than the main arc, and could have done with more development at the expense of the "chase"...

For my money, Orphan Black did a far better job of ""special people being pursued by a sinister organisation... " (still firmly MA though, although almost nothing has as much rainbow sex as Sense8).

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
I agree with the Daredevil assessment that killing people is a problem. Batman has the same issue. Seriously, give me a break. Sometimes, you’ve gotta put someone down because that’s the best for everyone.

I apologize for this: Did the OP vote for Trump? If so, the OP has no moral authority whatsoever.

I know bringing politics into the forum is bad form. But once you bring ethics into it, all bets are off.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Program your various devices to filter out content based on the "TV Parental Guidelines", if you trust them. For a more heavy handed approach, source your content from China. For instance, in PRC, there's no Quentin Tarantino, and there's very little LGBT content. (That last bit of prudery is unlikely to be adopted by "AppleTV.")

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.