Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Sadly the reality is you won’t be able to buy products from any manufacturer if that is your yard stick. Saying that, not buying products is absolutely the best thing you can do for the environment.
I was saying today to a friend (both of us long time Apple fans) that I would strongly consider a framework laptop if I need to update my 2011 MacBook Pro…

Reactions: SnickterP

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Because it is empty virtual signaling if Apple and the celebrities who preach about this stuff continue to fly on private planes everywhere. Those flights hurt the environment a hell of a lot more than including a USB-C cable with my upcoming new Apple TV remote would.
So we should do nothing at all then?

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
lol. Apple and the like are so funny. As if these manufactures care and Apple is only "calling them out" cause they think it looks like they care. Virtue Signaling.. nothing more.

Reactions: Spike1999

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
lol. Apple and the like are so funny. As if these manufactures care and Apple is only "calling them out" cause they think it looks like they care. Virtue Signaling.. nothing more.
And you base this on what? neuroticism?

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
Right, but what if the time came to pass on those costs to customers and only Apple has already done it? What if Samsung suddenly had to charge $400 extra for their devices and Apple didn't. That would cost Samsung valuable marketshare, otherwise Samsung would already be charging $400 more for their devices.
So you're saying Apple would be charging $400 MORE per device than Samsung until then? Why woulda nine buy an Apple device under that scenario? There needs to be a reality check and a balance between environmental extremists and real life.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
How about not trying to manufacture and sell new iPhones each year?
Or.. consumers not feel the need to keep buying new products every year?

Making it far more expensive will be a good way of achieving that.
Apple will only manufacturer as many iPhones as it can sell, therefore that action is on the consumer to not buy a new iPhone.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
With all that even cheaper Russian gas going into China (only pipeline capacity limiting them) Apple should really check if anything is being followed.

That is... if that is what they really want.

Reactions: SnickterP

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
So you're saying Apple would be charging $400 MORE per device than Samsung until then? Why woulda nine buy an Apple device under that scenario? There needs to be a reality check and a balance between environmental extremists and real life.
Apple is doing the transition slowly, so the consumer isn't being slugged with it all at once. But we are paying a bit more for our devices because of all these green policies, yes. And it'll add up to hundreds of dollars more over the years before it is made law in most of the world. The reality is climate change is real, it'll prove to be devastating, and we'll all have carbon zero will one day be law because humanity won't just give up. What Apple is doing proves that even without carbon humanity will find a way to thrive.

ukmanc

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2022

Apple today called on its suppliers to take new steps to decarbonize and address their greenhouse gas emissions.

apple-park-solar.jpg

In a press release, Apple said that it will evaluate the work of its manufacturing partners on a regular basis to encourage them to decarbonize their Apple-related operations and use 100 percent renewable energy, tracking and auditing progress annually. It added that Apple will specifically partner with suppliers that are "working with urgency and making measurable progress toward decarbonization," and is encouraging manufacturers to address their greenhouse gas emissions beyond their Apple production, offering suppliers a suite of free e-learning resources and live training courses through the Clean Energy Program.

Apple itself has been carbon neutral across its corporate operations since 2020, but has the long term goal of being carbon neutral across its entire global supply chain and the life cycle of every product by 2030. Apple has reduced its emissions by 40 percent since 2015, primarily thanks to improvements in energy efficiency, low-carbon design, carbon neutrality for corporate operations, and transitioning its supply chain to renewable electricity.

More than 200 suppliers representing more than 70 percent of Apple's manufacturing spend have already committed to using renewable energy like wind or solar for all Apple production, including Corning Incorporated, Nitto Denko Corporation, SK hynix, STMicroelectronics, TSMC, and Yuto.

Apple also announced new initiatives designed to help decarbonize the global economy and promote new climate-focused solutions, including investments to construct large-scale solar and wind facilities in Europe, partnerships to support businesses moving to clean energy, and Restore Fund projects to advance natural carbon removal and help carbon removal generate a financial return. For more information about Apple's latest environmental efforts, see the full press release.

Article Link: Apple Urges Suppliers to Address Environmental Impact Ahead of 2030 Carbon Neutral Goal
Words leave me on this - flights to and from countries, digging for precious metals, transferring responsibility to others for charging blocks, proprietary connectors such as lightning, building own processor (manufacturing etc..), new organisational design (people and tech) to support the odd satellite call, I could go on and on and on.

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
I take it your are part of the environmental extremists I referenced? I don't deny the need for REASONABLE efforts to minimize the damage we may bring to the environment from our daily living but to make the the be all and end all of our daily existence is impractical. I won't be buying an overpriced Tesla anytime soon.

FreedomPenguin

Suspended
Aug 18, 2021
oh, but it has a downside: green energy is simply more expensive
which means suppliers need to raise prices
which means higher price for end customers
ecology is expensive (at least for now)
I don’t want green energy tbh
I’d rather dirty energy that’s affordable. We need to open up the gas taps and not worry about green anything or fake meats and electric cars.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
How about not trying to manufacture and sell new iPhones each year?
Or.. consumers not feel the need to keep buying new products every year?

Making it far more expensive will be a good way of achieving that.
I don't think that most Apple consumers are upgrading every year.

It's simple math really. Apple has over a billion active iPhone users. Even if each consumer is holding on to their iPhone for 4 years on average, you are still looking at over 200 million iPhones sold every year.

I fail to see how the alternative, where Apple releases a new iPhone every 2-3 years, and then people rush to upgrade, is any better. The reality is that Apple has been making their iPhones last longer (between the use of more durable materials and longer software support), which is more than can be said for cheap android handsets which, more often than not, simply end up as landfill.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The irony in releasing new dongles, plastic stickers in nearly every package, and apparently certain executives investing in bitcoin (not sure if true).
I am personally in team "Just ship every Apple product without a charging cable or charger". :cool:

But I just can't stand the Apple Watch band packaging. A lot of paper for a simple nike band.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
What's Apple doing about the drinking water situation in poorer countries like China? With all that fresh water going to manufacturing while there's a drought going on.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I don't think that most Apple consumers are upgrading every year.

It's simple math really. Apple has over a billion active iPhone users. Even if each consumer is holding on to their iPhone for 4 years on average, you are still looking at over 200 million iPhones sold every year.

I fail to see how the alternative, where Apple releases a new iPhone every 2-3 years, and then people rush to upgrade, is any better. The reality is that Apple has been making their iPhones last longer (between the use of more durable materials and longer software support), which is more than can be said for cheap android handsets which, more often than not, simply end up as landfill.
I agree, Apple are the example which the rest of the industry should follow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.