Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreedomPenguin

Suspended
Aug 18, 2021
Not just expensive: toxic. Pillaging the ends of the earth rare minerals to make inefficient lithium batteries, with often underpaid if not forced/child labor doing the pillaging on behalf of Greta Thunburg & Friends?

I’m sorry, are children in Saudi Arabia drilling for oil with their bare hands?

Talk about environmentally and socially psychotic. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if lithium and other minerals needed for a massive-scale non-petroleum infrastructure deplete way sooner than oil ever would, turning into an extremely finite resource and crippling capacity expansion.

I’m not fond of oil, and I care about the Earth, but that also means protecting it from stupid people who will kill it with kindness.

Furthermore, most (all?) of those ego status symbol electric vehicles were made with petroleum power at various stages of the production pipeline. Imagine if TRUE innovation had been done to de-petroleumize production FIRST in order to prove it worked, instead of focusing on making your ego feel better for achieving nothing of import?

Apple’s “clean energy charging” is equally stupid. Building cars without using “dirty” energy would be far more impactful — and, ironically, likely impossible.

At least Apple’s ego is in the right place (/semi-sarcasm) by forcing suppliers to be the ‘efficient’ ones instead of trying to place the blame/burden on me and the rest of us as people who are just charging a cell phone.
I guess I just don’t care about anyone but america. It’s not our children, couldn’t care less where or how we get things. 3rd world problems ain’t one of mine

USA baby

Reactions: remington79

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Because it is empty virtual signaling if Apple and the celebrities who preach about this stuff continue to fly on private planes everywhere. Those flights hurt the environment a hell of a lot more than including a USB-C cable with my upcoming new Apple TV remote would.
It may be virtue signaling, but if the environment is helped more than it otherwise would have been, then it’s not empty.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
oh, but it has a downside: green energy is simply more expensive
which means suppliers need to raise prices
which means higher price for end customers
Pretend ecology is expensive (at least for now)
Fixed that for you.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
It may be virtue signaling, but if the environment is helped more than it otherwise would have been, then it’s not empty.
Any "help" to the environment is negated and then some when one of your heroes hops on their private plane.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Any "help" to the environment is negated and then some when one of your heroes hops on their private plane.
Yes, but I’m saying that they’re probably going to hop on those planes regardless, so zero sum (or less negative) is better than negative (or more negative).

Are you saying when it comes to environment, they should do all or nothing? I disagree with that. Should they be more environmental? Of course. But I’ll take whatever anyone gives. I will not reject any environmental help, regardless of motivation.

Last edited:

ducknalddon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2018
There's a big financial incentive to do this and do it early. One day we'll start taxing big businesses for carbon at any stage of what they sell, even minerals at the supplier level, and Apple will have the advantage of already having made the transition while other technology suppliers are scrambling at the deadline to avoid the tax on dirty parts and processes.
This is quite a good point. At both a corporate and individual level it's much better to transition on your own terms rather than wait to be forced to make changes. I can see some of the posters in this thread are going to find life quite difficult when the inevitable happens.

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
And Tim Cook lets you know all about minutes after stepping off his private plane.
Lol. If I was the head of a multi-trillion dollar company I would fly in a private plane too. With the way people behave anymore, less like people and more like whinny children or wild animals.

People shoot the window attendants at fast food restaurants just because their fries are cold. Or break into schools and kill innocent bystanders just cause. The world is full of people who are crazy.

Yeah, Apple is trying to push for people to do less harm to our planet, while having to do some things that come across hypocritical. Change takes time.

What are you doing to try to insure a world for the people of tomorrow?
People are so quick to point out the mote in another person’s eye, but can’t see the beam in theirs.

Apple has programs for businesses to use to help offset cost. I think it was Foxconn that got ripped not long ago for using Apples equipment to produce none Apple products. Corning got money from Apple for R&D. The company that makes the FaceID units got money from Apple to expand R&D and production.

Life isn’t black and white, I know this, it is more grey. It is a give and take. Please stop bashing a company (doesn’t mater which company) because you feel they are in the wrong while ignoring what things they do that are good.

Mitochris

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
oh, but it has a downside: green energy is simply more expensive
which means suppliers need to raise prices
which means higher price for end customers
ecology is expensive (at least for now)
Green energy these days is not necessarily more expensive. the initial investment is high, but running is cheaper. The problem is capacity and storage. And getting fossil fuel companies away from politicians. Additionally, prices for renewable energy continue to drop, which is not the case for fossil.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Yes, but I’m saying that they’re probably going to hop on those planes regardless, so zero sum (or less negative) is better than negative (or more negative).

Are you saying when it comes to environment, they should do all or nothing? I disagree with that. Should they be more environmental? Of course. But I’ll take whatever anyone gives. I will not reject any environmental help, regardless of motivation.

Lol. If I was the head of a multi-trillion dollar company I would fly in a private plane too. With the way people behave anymore, less like people and more like whinny children or wild animals.

People shoot the window attendants at fast food restaurants just because their fries are cold. Or break into schools and kill innocent bystanders just cause. The world is full of people who are crazy.

Yeah, Apple is trying to push for people to do less harm to our planet, while having to do some things that come across hypocritical. Change takes time.

What are you doing to try to insure a world for the people of tomorrow?
People are so quick to point out the mote in another person’s eye, but can’t see the beam in theirs.

Apple has programs for businesses to use to help offset cost. I think it was Foxconn that got ripped not long ago for using Apples equipment to produce none Apple products. Corning got money from Apple for R&D. The company that makes the FaceID units got money from Apple to expand R&D and production.

Life isn’t black and white, I know this, it is more grey. It is a give and take. Please stop bashing a company (doesn’t mater which company) because you feel they are in the wrong while ignoring what things they do that are good.
For the people who are having trouble understanding this, let's use units to describe helping or hurting the environment. Let's call them say BS units. So let us say:

A perfect happy environment is a state of being 100 BS units
This "initiative" by Apple is maybe worth 10 BS units.
Tim Cook and other celebrity "activists" boarding their private planes is maybe worth -80 BS units and keep in mind they do this regularly.

Ergo, Tim and the celebs you worship for being "planet savers" are actually hurting the planet overall more than you or I ever will.

Also FYI anyone who starts their argument with "Lol" is immediately overlooked.

I know some people like to be pedantic and play mental gymnastics every chance they get. So here's your gold medal to stare at while recycling your urine for drinking water. All while Timmy boards his private plane and wipes out all the good you did for the environment in a couple seconds.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Mitochris

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
For the people who are having trouble understanding this, let's use units to describe helping or hurting the environment. Let's call them say BS units. So let us say:

Tim Cook and other celebrity "activists" boarding their private planes is maybe worth -80 BS units and keep in mind they do this regularly.

Ergo, Tim and the celebs you worship for being "planet savers" are actually hurting the planet overall more than you or I ever will.

Is it better if Apple does something, rather than nothing, even if there is more they could do?

Reactions: cupcakes2000

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
Manufacturers will not care about being carbon taxed because they know they can pass all costs on to the customer and if it's a product or material that the customer needs then the manufacturer knows the customer will pay the costs. It happens all the time, companies get fined or taxed for something and the company just increases their prices to compensate for the fine or tax.
Exactly, companies don’t pay taxes. It gets passed on to the consumer. Sure raise the corporate tax rate some people think it sounds good. Then you see the company charge more for the product and hire less people.

Mitochris

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011

I know some people like to be pedantic and play mental gymnastics every chance they get. So here's your gold medal to stare at while recycling your urine for drinking water. All while Timmy boards his private plane and wipes out all the good you did for the environment in a couple seconds.
First of all, your BS units are pulled out of your ass so they are BS. I am sure the energy footprint of all Apple suppliers is greater than his flights and not the other way around. Second of all, if Timmy and friends do a few flights, which I disagree with, but by the contacts and meetings they have, are able to change the attitude and emissions of millions, then their BS units are worth while. Me recycling my urine will never make a large impact. If everyone recycles their urine it will. To use your analogy. You will thank us later.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
First of all, your BS units are pulled out of your ass so they are BS. I am sure the energy footprint of all Apple suppliers is greater than his flights and not the other way around. Second of all, if Timmy and friends do a few flights, which I disagree with, but by the contacts and meetings they have, are able to change the attitude and emissions of millions, then their BS units are worth while. Me recycling my urine will never make a large impact. If everyone recycles their urine it will. To use your analogy. You will thank us later.
It’s the pervasive attitude that unless you do everything, you should do nothing.

FreedomPenguin

Suspended
Aug 18, 2021
It’s the pervasive attitude that unless you do everything, you should do nothing.
I agree with doing nothing, am I the only one on the forum realizing we literally don’t have to any issues when other countries don’t care either. Why should we care if they don’t either?

Just send our trash and pollution to their countries by letting them make stuff for us dirt cheap

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

You’re not understanding me. I’m not praising them as environmentalists. Far from it. I praise positive direction. So even if they burn 100 trees every day, if they change it to 99 trees, or or even get others to burn less trees, then I commend that as a step in the right direction, and I encourage more. Acknowledging that they do one good thing does not mean putting an environmental hero pin on them.
Call them out for the bad they’re doing, fine, that’s constructive negative reinforcement. But what is constructive about actively ridiculing a small positive change? That’s deconstructive. That’s negativity for the sake of negativity.

FreedomPenguin

Suspended
Aug 18, 2021
Much more important than the climate hoax. Who cares the slave labor and oppressed minorities are in China.
I couldn’t care less if it’s young old or dead making our products. That’s chinas issue not ours

They don’t care about us

Freedom to let them run society as they see fit. We should stop imposing our beliefs on others. Screw em, let them live like savages

• Disagree
Reactions: redbeard331

criticasm

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2017
Solar panels lose efficiency every year & need to be replaced every 10-15 years to maintain a decent rate of power generation. Battery banks used to store power also degrade over time & need to be replaced every 5-8 years. On a company scale you're looking at millions of dollars spent every several years just to keep the "GREEN DREAM" alive with bad technology not suited to the task.

Anyone pushing this "SoLaR & wInD & LiThIuM BS" should be put in stocks & pummelled with rotten fruit. You wanna play this game either Go Nuclear or Go Home. Get serious with geothermal, tidal & fusion or GTFO.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
The irony in releasing new dongles, plastic stickers in nearly every package, and apparently certain executives investing in bitcoin (not sure if true).
Its not irony, its passing the buck. They're monetizing being green as a business model but not handling it themselves. Hopefully when they go to usb-c on iPhones they have some sort of trade in system where people can return their now useless lightening cables for some sort of monetary return. Thats how they should be handling this, not just telling people to trade in their year old phone like they did at the iPhone launch.

• Love
Reactions: WiiDSmoker

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Its not irony, its passing the buck. They're monetizing being green as a business model but not handling it themselves. Hopefully when they go to usb-c on iPhones they have some sort of trade in system where people can return their now useless lightening cables for some sort of monetary return. Thats how they should be handling this, not just telling people to trade in their year old phone like they did at the iPhone launch.
Definitely agree. I hope they do this.

Reactions: StuBeck

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020

Lol.

The “initiative” by Apple you say is only worth 10 points. Did you miss the part where all of Apples corporate operations are carbon neutral and have been since 2020? That isn’t just the space ship, it is all corporate buildings, which from how I read it also includes all their data centers (which if you pay attention to the news related to those centers have 100% renewable energy support). Clearly though you want to under cut the effort Apple has put in for the last 10-20 years because it makes you feel better by lumping all the rich people, celebrities etc into a single pool and saying their private plans are worse then having a company with 10s of thousands jobs in offices having a 100% carbon neutral footprint. Yeah, sounds like a reasonable arrangement to me 🙄.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
I couldn’t care less if it’s young old or dead making our products. That’s chinas issue not ours

They don’t care about us

Freedom to let them run society as they see fit. We should stop imposing our beliefs on others. Screw em, let them live like savages
I’m just saying it’s an actual cause that actually has visible results and will make a difference and isn’t a hoax. You can say it’s going green or for the children and get away with anything you want. I find this so called green results in higher prices and less performance and a worse consumer experience. Less value for my money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.