Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I hope there will be some higher capacity 3rd party battery packs soon.

One thing I have not been able to learn is if you can swap battery packs without shutting AVP down: does it have some internal battery that will give you a few minutes to do this? Hope so...

Probably too much to hope there could be a power adapter/cord that could attach directly to AVP without a battery daisy chained.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Also would be nice if AVP could somehow participate in Universal Control, so you could use MacBook or Mac (or iPad w/physical input devices) keyboard and trackpad instead of needing a separate set just for AVP.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022

One thing I have not been able to learn is if you can swap battery packs without shutting AVP down: does it have some internal battery that will give you a few minutes to do this? Hope so...

Probably too much to hope there could be a power adapter/cord that could attach directly to AVP without a battery daisy chained.
I'd imagine so, just in case you slap the cable off by accident it shouldn't just power off, I got an extra battery to swap when its out just in case

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006

I’m just going to battery daisy chain and plug the main battery into a huge one for extended use

Reactions: ckurt25

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015

I'd imagine so, just in case you slap the cable off by accident it shouldn't just power off, I got an extra battery to swap when its out just in case

I believe this isn’t the case. The battery attaches with a proprietary twist and lock connector presumably so you don’t knock the wire off and kill the power. If there was an internal battery and this didn’t matter surely they’d just have a magnetic connector.

This thing pulls a lot of power so it would have to be a fairly significant battery even for a few minutes presumably and would add weight. Then again I could be wrong I just don’t see why you’d have a lockable connector if it were the case.

And about that proprietary lockable connector I really hope Apple opens it up to third parties because at the moment no one will be able to make batteries for it. Then again it is Apple and I bet they keep this in house.

It really needs a larger battery as an option. Say if there was a battery 50% thicker you’d be able to get nearly 4 hours for video playback which would make it much more practical to use.

Reactions: splogue

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
Already sold out or wasn’t available yet?
I read somewhere else it will be available Feb 22-23. Im guessing they have to wait until it's released to get final specs before mfg begins. I'll happily wait to avoid spending $200 for Apple's version.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
I remember back around WWDC hearing (sadly) that there was no internal battery, so you can’t do a quick swap. Really hope that isn’t the case, and hopefully bigger battery packs will be available

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
I remember back around WWDC hearing (sadly) that there was no internal battery, so you can’t do a quick swap. Really hope that isn’t the case, and hopefully bigger battery packs will be available

It’s also worth noting that Apple charge $199 for the battery so I’m leaning more on Apple not opening the proprietary connector to third parties.

Reactions: Onimusha370

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
It’s also worth noting that Apple charge $199 for the battery so I’m leaning more on Apple not opening the proprietary connector to third parties.
Yeah I’m also worried about that… I’d be more than happy to hold a battery that’s double the size/weight of the current one in a pocket in order to get 4/5 hours battery life. That‘d be plenty for long movie/gaming sessions, whereas 2 hours just feels cramped

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Yeah I’m also worried about that… I’d be more than happy to hold a battery that’s double the size/weight of the current one in a pocket in order to get 4/5 hours battery life. That‘d be plenty for long movie/gaming sessions, whereas 2 hours just feels cramped
But realistically would you be able to wear the VP on your head for that long of a time period ?

I think I would get a headache or have facial pains...

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
Can you really stay in vr past the battery capacity? I have owned 3 different vr sets and you couldnt pay me to wear it more then 40 minutes max.. There is always some form of strain on my body concerning my brain and eyes.

I would think the required breaks needed to stay healthy is the time it takes to charge that battery? Never been vr sick? It is not a fun experience....

I would imagine even just watching media will give you strain? I also hope that because the new headset resolution is so high maybe it will give less strain?

Vr Legs is real, and if you have not aquired yours dont expect to hop in for hours without barfing/spinning circles/nauseation

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4sallypat

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Apple being dumb again:still haven’t updated keyboard and trackpad to usb-c. Now you can do spatial computing but need to carry around an extra lightning cable.

Reactions: LiemTa

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
...btw, and maybe this is "duh" to everyone else...

As I've been shopping for an additional 3rd party battery to buy, I've been reminded that Airlines limit battery size to 27,000 mAh.

Which makes me think that Apple probably designed their battery size to be sure it won't be rejected on flights.

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
...btw, and maybe this is "duh" to everyone else...

As I've been shopping for an additional 3rd party battery to buy, I've been reminded that Airlines limit battery size to 27,000 mAh.

Which makes me think that Apple probably designed their battery size to be sure it won't be rejected on flights.
Found this out the hard way. Bought a 50,000 mAh battery pack for VP only to notice later it says not compatible for airline travel. Thankfully it was only 30 bucks.

Reactions: Timo_Existencia

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
I got this and cancelled my AVP battery order.
IMG_0378.jpeg

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Any one find any yet I’ve only see differently colored copies of the knit band no halo straps or padded top straps yet
not yet but I will be keeping my eye out!

Maybe the dual loop would be nice, but I kind of just wish they added another strap attachment to the knit band

Reactions: 4sallypat

ckorhonen

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
NYC
Really interested to see how the travel case ecosystem pans out, and also would love backpack recommendations from the Quest users out there - what would comfortably fit a travel case and laptop?

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
not yet but I will be keeping my eye out!

Maybe the dual loop would be nice, but I kind of just wish they added another strap attachment to the knit band
Hopefully someone will figure out a 3d print solution to add a top to the knit band but yeah I agree it was probably too late on the production to add a top to that

Reactions: Timo_Existencia

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Really interested to see how the travel case ecosystem pans out, and also would love backpack recommendations from the Quest users out there - what would comfortably fit a travel case and laptop?

+1 for general backpack recs, my existing one is getting shabby

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.